Roll call "meet &greet" informal and Viking hosted

Azulann

Looks like  Viking Mars  guest relation hosted a meet and greet for roll call members this month in WinterGarden with invitations delivered to stateroom.  Just like in the pre pandemic days on Cruise Critic.

"papak-cruiser
August 1, 2015
Florida
Author
Posted Sunday at 07:56 AM
We finalized the Meet & Mingle with Viking Mars Guest Relations. It will take place in the Wintergarden Lounge at 6:00 PM on Tuesday, April 25. Those of you who signed up with us, should be getting formal invitations from Viking tomorrow (April 24) with the details. Viking wanted 6:00 PM rather than 5:30 PM, since they have to clean up and get ready after afternoon tea in the Wintergarden.

For those staying on to Athens, we are planning a similar Meet & Mingle event to include folks getting on in Mumbai. We are looking at the first "at sea" day after embarkation from Mumbai and probably at 6:00 PM. "

This poster is on the Mars for 35 days. 

Wonder if other  folks saying  currently have asked guest relation to host a gathering? 

I will be on a 11 day sailing on Jupiter  and have organized an informal meeting with roll call folks  on day two , a hours before sailaway near the infinity pool outside. 

I would love to have  Viking organize a gathering if I can figure out how to do it before we sail in 47 days. 

Amy ideas how to contact  guest relations before we sail ?  Any ideas ,fellow cruisers? 

3 hours ago, Azulann said:

Looks like  Viking Mars  guest relation hosted a meet and greet for roll call members this month in WinterGarden with invitations delivered to stateroom.  Just like in the pre pandemic days on Cruise Critic.

"papak-cruiser
August 1, 2015
Florida
Author
We finalized the Meet & Mingle with Viking Mars Guest Relations. It will take place in the Wintergarden Lounge at 6:00 PM on Tuesday, April 25. Those of you who signed up with us, should be getting formal invitations from Viking tomorrow (April 24) with the details. Viking wanted 6:00 PM rather than 5:30 PM, since they have to clean up and get ready after afternoon tea in the Wintergarden.

For those staying on to Athens, we are planning a similar Meet & Mingle event to include folks getting on in Mumbai. We are looking at the first "at sea" day after embarkation from Mumbai and probably at 6:00 PM. "

Wonder if other  folks saying  currently have asked guest relation to host a gathering? 

I will be on a 11 day sailing on Jupiter  and have organized an informal meeting with roll call folks  on day two , a hours before sailaway near the infinity pool outside. 

I would love to have  Viking organize a gathering if I can figure out how to do it before we sail in 47 days. 

Amy ideas how to contact  guest relations before we sail ?  Any ideas ,fellow cruisers? 

Yes, and we have one sorted for the follow on cruise Passage to India. They are passenger driven whilst onboard. Papak-cruiser has sorted it as he remains onboard for ours. We have had a lot on interest expressed, I'd say 30 people have listed their cabin numbers and names to him. It has been confirmed for first day at sea at 6pm. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Azulann said:

"papak-cruiser
August 1, 2015
Florida
Author

Azulan -

I was able to initiate, coordinate, and get a Roll Call Meet & Mingle together for Viking Star on our Dec/Jan Panama canal cruise.

Here is what I did:

I sent an email to the ship's email address (which I found in the final documents sent to me several weeks ahead of sailing).  I addressed it to the Hotel Manager, Guest Services Manager, and Cruise Director.  I explained that I had compiled a Roll Call list of people, emails, cabins, etc (and the number) and would like to work with someone on the ship to get a Meet & Mingle organized.  I stated our preferred date (first sea date), preferred time (5:30) and preferred location (Wintergarden).  I heard right back from Manager Guest Services.  They said 6:00 was better but approved everything and said they would schedule it.  They asked me to meet with them in person when I got on board and go over the details.  I gave them my Roll Call List, they told me they would have drinks and eats provided, and also would send invitations to the people on the list.  I sent reminders to everyone invited and had name tags printed up ahead of time.   Several Viking officers showed up at 6 for a toast and a few short hellos.  It was very nice and we had over 50 Cruise Critic people attend.  It reminded me of the pre-COVID get togethers we've had.  So we are indeed back.

Viking again told me as long as a passenger initiates and organizes the event, they are happy to get these going again.

I am also going to do this for our upcoming June 7th Saturn Iceland cruise.  We already have nearly 60 people ready to attend!

Good luck with your organization!  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kent

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Kent, Thank you so much for the details of how you contacted  ship guest relations etc. I will do the same.

We have 16 couples on our roll call. Just need to get them to post their real names and  room number s for the list. 

It is nice to know Viking will do the m&g  again .

I have such fond memories of precovid times.

Our cruise in June does not have any sea day but overnights on both ends of the cruise.

Edited by Azulann

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

We have 16 couples on our roll call. Just need to get them to post their real names and  room number s for the list. 

I personally have a problem with posting that information publicly (it's just not safe) and therefore would choose not to participate in a meet and greet so organized. Anyone can join Cruise Critic. Anyone can read any roll call here. Not every one comes here with the best of intentions.

Were I the organizer, I would use a disposable email address (one that does not have my name on it and one that I can delete if it becomes compromised; like what I used in the signature file, which I have already changed 6 times) and have everyone send the personal information there. I would also explain that the list would never be posted on the roll call, would not be shared even with the names on the list (you can post a list of screen names of who is participating) and would only be sent to Viking Guest Relations. without screen names, for the purpose of sending out the invitations.

• Like 7

Peregrina,

I have already asked our roll call what they want to do … it is up to them . Everyone is different about these things and I understand your suggestions .

Very great group of folks from US Canada  and UK. looking forward to meeting them on our cruise even at our informal gathering which we planned. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I personally have a problem with posting that information publicly (it's just not safe) and therefore would choose not to participate in a meet and greet so organized.

I would agree with that and wonder if there's any way of encouraging Cruisecritic and Viking to get together so they can reintroduce the system that was used pre-Covid?

Perhaps the moderator of this board could put forward the suggestion to the relevant person at Cruisecritic?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Not every one comes here with the best of intentions.

Thank you Peregrina651.  You make some good points.  I haven't been paranoid, but based on your experiences perhaps I should be.  I will try to put your suggestions into practice in the future.  Appreciate your expressing your views.

8 hours ago, photopro2 said:

I would agree with that and wonder if there's any way of encouraging Cruisecritic and Viking to get together so they can reintroduce the system that was used pre-Covid?

Perhaps the moderator of this board could put forward the suggestion to the relevant person at Cruisecritic?

All CC meet and greet registration have been suspend. It is on their CC front page   at meet and greet link at top of front page. It was paused during the pandemic but now not going to happen like they  didi in the past.  I think it is great that Viking is willing  to hosting  roll calls  m&g on their sailings. It is always such a fun time and usually in the Wintergarden, my favorite space on any ship. 

I think CC has lot fewer posters overall. And the moderators are fewer  too. Trip Advisor owns Cruise Critic ,wish they allow dm on both sites. Trip Advisor used to do this. In fact my moniker is the one I originally  on Trip Advisor many  years ago.. Way back in 2008  I organized three private tours on our roll call. Alll those interested   messaged me on Trip advisors  using the  direct message feature. 

I much prefer Cruise Critic than FB groups!!!!!! I find their format too jumbled  with the way they format posts.

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

I think it is great that Viking is willing  to hosting  roll calls  m&g on their sailings. It is always such a fun time and usually in the Wintergarden, my favorite space on any ship. 

HEAR!! HEAR!!

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

All CC meet and greet registration have been suspend. It is on their CC front page   at meet and greet link at top of front page. It was paused during the pandemic but now not going to happen like they  didi in the past.

Did I miss something? Is my browser blocking something? The page looks the same as it did 3 years ago when M&Ms were first paused. I didn't see any announcement about suspending (other than Celebrity, which I think is old news). TIA

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

HEAR!! HEAR!!

Did I miss something? Is my browser blocking something? The page looks the same as it did 3 years ago when M&Ms were first paused. I didn't see any announcement about suspending (other than Celebrity, which I think is old news). TIA

The term they use for Viking is “paused.”

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 12:46 AM, Peregrina651 said:

Anyone can join Cruise Critic. Anyone can read any roll call here. Not every one comes here with the best of intentions.

Thanks for the timely reminder about online security. As a result, you might have noticed that I've changed my profile picture. Facial recognition software has become much more sophisticated and some unscrupulous person might be able to use it to track down my real name and address. That is a particular problem on roll calls where I would not want to advertise the fact that we will be away from home over specific dates! 

• Like 2

Hi @Azulann

As others have said, I am only seeing Online Registration has been PAUSED on the meet & mingle page. Hopefully the system will reopen over coming months. If not, we might need to start a "Bring back Meet & Mingles" campaign aimed at Viking and cruise critic 😁

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

Hi @Azulann

As others have said, I am only seeing Online Registration has been PAUSED on the meet & mingle page. Hopefully the system will reopen over coming months. If not, we might need to start a "Bring back Meet & Mingles" campaign aimed at Viking and cruise critic 😁

I reread my post and should have used the word pause in reference to meet and mingle , my error. 😕

I do think a campaign to editors of CC to "UNPAUSE' their online registration would solve the problem for roll call folks in figuring out how on do get a list together for Viking guest relations.

I remember our wonderful  two meet and mingle events  on our TA cruise where I met you and your lovely wife and others who I see  still posting on CC.  

Meanwhile, I am counting down the weeks (6) till I am again on a Viking ship.🥂

BTW, I hope to visit the Fotografiska museum when in Stockholm. Have you been there? I hope to do a live trip report of my cruise including my three days in Stockholm.  

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2023 at 9:47 AM, CCWineLover said:

Azulan -

I was able to initiate, coordinate, and get a Roll Call Meet & Mingle together for Viking Star on our Dec/Jan Panama canal cruise.

Here is what I did:

I sent an email to the ship's email address (which I found in the final documents sent to me several weeks ahead of sailing).  I addressed it to the Hotel Manager, Guest Services Manager, and Cruise Director.  I explained that I had compiled a Roll Call list of people, emails, cabins, etc (and the number) and would like to work with someone on the ship to get a Meet & Mingle organized.  I stated our preferred date (first sea date), preferred time (5:30) and preferred location (Wintergarden).  I heard right back from Manager Guest Services.  They said 6:00 was better but approved everything and said they would schedule it.  They asked me to meet with them in person when I got on board and go over the details.  I gave them my Roll Call List, they told me they would have drinks and eats provided, and also would send invitations to the people on the list.  I sent reminders to everyone invited and had name tags printed up ahead of time.   Several Viking officers showed up at 6 for a toast and a few short hellos.  It was very nice and we had over 50 Cruise Critic people attend.  It reminded me of the pre-COVID get togethers we've had.  So we are indeed back.

Viking again told me as long as a passenger initiates and organizes the event, they are happy to get these going again.

I am also going to do this for our upcoming June 7th Saturn Iceland cruise.  We already have nearly 60 people ready to attend!

Good luck with your organization!  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kent

I have looked high and low and cannot find the ships email address. Also, no final documents have been sent to me and we are two weeks out.

even my travel agent could not, she was told to deal with it once on board

any advice?

8 minutes ago, purpleally said:

I have looked high and low and cannot find the ships email address. Also, no final documents have been sent to me and we are two weeks out.

any advice?

I just pinged @CCWineLover who is on the Saturn now—asking for the ship’s email address. Hang tight!

33 minutes ago, purpleally said:

any advice?

I never got a reply to my email for the Jupiter. So on first day I went o Guest Relations and asked the person to notify General Manager  and Cruise Director we have a Cruise Critic Roll Call and would like to set up a meet and mingle gathering  with Viking. They did and it was day 6  in the cruise because we had no sea days on our itinerary  and had to find a time mint he daily schedule. It was  well attended and by staff and roll call.I did give them stateroom numbers of those on roll call who were interested. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 7:47 PM, LindaS272 said:

I just pinged @CCWineLover who is on the Saturn now—asking for the ship’s email address. Hang tight!

I sent it once but with WiFi so horrible most things don’t make it unless you are up really early.  Now In Reykjavik.

saturn email.

verity brown cd coordinate s the M&M’s.  

osa_info@vikingcruises.com

• Thanks 1