ONLY Candy Straws?

bassmk

4 hours ago, kdnurs said:

Are the candy straws the only option onboard? no paper straws available????

You don't want the eco friendly paper straws they sell these days. They are not coated with paraffin so absorb liquid and fall apart fast.

The reason they are not coated with paraffin is that paraffin is derived from petroleum and contains traces of carcinogens (as does plastic). That is not a problem unless you eat a whole lot of straws so it was not a problem in the beginning of the last century. But folks are not considered smart enough to not eat straws these days.😁 The bigger (though so small it is generally ignored) risk from paraffin is burning it in candles. That releases the toxins that are normally stabilized in the paraffin.

3 hours ago, staceyglow said:

They do sell the metal straws at the bars

Silicone too in a handy little case. 

I use silicone straws that come in a little case that has a carabiner on it. I just hook that to my purse strap. Last cruise, I clearly drank too much though and I lost two of them. Ooops. 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, staceyglow said:

They do sell the metal straws at the bars

Yes, and sometimes they have silicone rubber straws available for sale as well. But as far as a straw to give you with your drink, it's just the candy straws.

12 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

Silicone too in a handy little case. 

I use silicone straws that come in a little case that has a carabiner on it. I just hook that to my purse strap. Last cruise, I clearly drank too much though and I lost two of them. Ooops. 

That is exactly what I bought! I'd bring my own supply of paper or plastic straws, but I need something pocket-size.

• Like 1

NCL had gone to bamboo straws.  They are sturdy, tasteless, and biodegradable.  We just had our first experience with the candy straws last week and YUK.   To add insult to injury, I ordered a mudslide and the bar tender didn’t put any chocolate in the glass, so I asked him about that and he said they don’t do that anymore because they use the chocolate straws.  I thought he was just being a weinie so I went to a different bar and he told me the same thing.   No more mudslides for me this trip.   Plus there was no flavorless straw, so the flavor of the strawb distorted the taste of a drink (they gave me an apple one for my kiss on the lips -yuk) and it makes things overly sweet.

• Like 1

Seems kind of crazy that just before the pandemic they were required to do away with all single use disposable items, including butter pats and straws because of that judge in Florida..  I would have thought that public health would have prevailed and allowed them to return to the more sanitary single use items.  Sorry, but way too many times I have had to send drinking glasses and coffee cups back because they were dirty.  No way am I drinking straight out of a glass.  Those crocks of butter on the buffet are gross half way through lunch!  I will bring my own individually wrapped plastic straws. 

Before they went to the candy straws they were using paper straws, but they were glued with wheat paste.  As a celiac if I had not been forewarned by specila needs to avoid them, I would have been really ill.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So this is Carnival's solution to plastic straws.  Today, on Miracle, when I bought a can of Ginger Ail and asked for a straw, this is what the bartender gave me.   I told him that I really wanted a green candy straw and he just gave me another one of these. (Apearently, a miscommunication, but I really wanted a candy straw, not a piece of plastic 😕

So now instead of a single plastic (OR CANDY) straw,  I have have two silicone straws, two PLASTIC carrying containers, each with a non-biodegradable rubber strap, and a non-biodegradable stainless steel brush with PLASTIC bristles inside of a PLASTIC bag.  And this is all going to help save the planet🤔.

20230813_165516.jpg

20230813_165519.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

So this is Carnival's solution to plastic straws.  Today, on Miracle, when I bought a can of Ginger Ail and asked for a straw, this is what the bartender gave me.   I told him that I really wanted a green candy straw and he just gave me another one of these. (Apearently, a miscommunication, but I really wanted a candy straw, not a piece of plastic 😕

So now instead of a single plastic (OR CANDY) straw,  I have have two silicone straws, two PLASTIC carrying containers, each with a non-biodegradable rubber strap, and a non-biodegradable stainless steel brush with PLASTIC bristles inside of a PLASTIC bag.  And this is all going to help save the planet🤔.

20230813_165516.jpg

20230813_165519.jpg

Their idea is to look good, not to do good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

20230813_165516.jpg

20230813_165519.jpg

Sit next to me, I carry a supply of the good stuff...🥤 😉 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

20230813_165516.jpg

20230813_165519.jpg

They GAVE those to you? Might want to check your account. They usually sell them. Personally, I like silicone straws and while they aren’t biodegradable they also aren’t single use.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 11:56 AM, evandbob said:

Because Carnival continued using one time plastic items, inc. straws, despite legal orders to desist, judges invoked substantial fines and penalties that finally got Carnival's attention.

The idea that any one time plastic usage item can be safely used on sea going ships without consequences to the ocean and marine life is ludicrous. 

Plastic packaging, storage and dispensing items as well as culinary utensils are now banned - YAY !!

So how do the plastic water bottles they sell fit into this? 

Capture.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:26 PM, Lee Cruiser said:

We bring our own individually wrapped straws.  The candy straws are too slimy for us and it's hard to clean and sanitize metal straws.

I was thinking about bringing my metal straws, but washing them would be a pain.  I might just brings platic one.  Before anyone jumps on me for that, what do you think the candy straws are wrapped in? 🙃

10 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

They GAVE those to you? Might want to check your account. They usually sell them. Personally, I like silicone straws and while they aren’t biodegradable they also aren’t single use.

Yes.  They GAVE them to me.

Also, there is nothing saying a plastic straw has to be single use.  They can be washed just as easily as the silicone ones. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Also, there is nothing saying a plastic straw has to be single use.  They can be washed just as easily as the silicone ones. 

Carnival giving stuff away! Who’d have thought? Lol

thats a good point about the plastic straws. I honestly never thought of that.

34 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

True, my wife has several water bottles that have thick plastic straws that are definitely washable.

8 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I was thinking about bringing my metal straws, but washing them would be a pain.  I might just brings platic one.  Before anyone jumps on me for that, what do you think the candy straws are wrapped in? 🙃

I have about 10,000 straws stocked.  I am always packing... I do occasionally rinse and reuse.

On 5/1/2023 at 8:00 PM, mz-s said:

How have we regressed as a society? 40 years ago before plastic straws, straws were made out of waxed paper. I remember McDonald's cups used to be made of wax paper too. Straws went to plastic and eventually so did McDonald's cups. Why can we not use wax paper anymore? And who decided making straws out of candy was a good idea?

I remember actually not using straws! In the old days, you picked up the glass/cup, put your lips on it and drank.  Although, those paper straws were good for causing a ruckus in class after you drank your milk 😆 Totally miss the paper bags - they were garbage bags, schoolbook covers, wrapping paper for presents and kindling for fireplaces. I miss the plastic ones too - great for carrying shoes, wet stuff, lunches or stuff from the store and you can even cut them up and crochet with them. We’re bringing the reusable metal straws, which will probably sit in the cabin while we drink from the glass….!

• Haha 1