GeorgiaPeach Sails the Atlantic on Navigator

In the port of Sydney, within the cruise terminal is a large pavilion which is usually loaded with fine craftsman's wares. It's one of my favorite places to shop in Nova Scotia/Cape Breton. All quality made items, no junk, no tee shirts, etc. Right next to the "big fiddle"!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Today is Charlotte Town, PEI.  We didn’t do a tour but walked around the nice little town, and had lunch.  The weather cooperated and a light jacket was plenty since the sun decided to show itself for a brief spell.  As I type this cloud cover is winning the battle and it looks like the promised late afternoon rain might be on schedule.  The first clue was the umbrellas at the gangplank area for passengers to take if desired.

My husband dearly loves lobster, so we walked to a place he found on Trip Advisor.  His yardstick for a lobster roll is 80% lobster to 20% roll…with butter and a whisper of mayo.  That is not what he got….he said it was good and had some ok chunks, which is infinitely better than shredded lobster.   But he had order envy because my fish and chips, with halibut rather than haddock, was absolutely the best I’ve ever had.  Wow.  So good.  Gave him half and still had plenty.  Highly recommend!  To reach this place, Water Price Corner, you exit the cruise terminal and walk to the first cross street.  Turn left, and it’s down two blocks on the corner.  

I will ask around about the opinions of others regarding their tours.  I know there were multiple food tours, and some tours to the Anne of Green Gables house.  Stay tuned…

IMG_1234.jpeg

We had lunch here last fall and it was great.  

Nancy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Yesterday was Sydney and we did not get off the ship.  We were going on a tour to see Alexander Graham’s home and got a notice that the home was closed for repairs, but we could see the outside.  That was not a thrilling prospect so we stayed on the ship and relaxed.  We had thought we might walk around town, but it turned into a tender port due to the winds.  The tenders apparently struggled with the weather somewhat and it seemed to be more laborious than usual, and took longer than usual, so we also gave that a pass.  I talked to several people who walked around town and they all pronounced it not great, not a lot to see and a lot of paving going on.  That is not to say that the town was just totally not worth visiting, just that the people I spoke with didn’t love it.  If you went on a tour or found something great, please share so others will know what to do and see.

Since much of the ship was empty yesterday I took a few photos of the foyer, the coffee bar and the library, so you could see them without people.

IMG_0351.jpeg

IMG_0350.jpeg

IMG_0349.jpeg

I'm sure there are many of us here that remember that first picture with a wonderful gem in the center and with Salma Hayek and Pierce Brosnan onboard.

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Today is Charlotte Town, PEI.  We didn’t do a tour but walked around the nice little town, and had lunch.  The weather cooperated and a light jacket was plenty since the sun decided to show itself for a brief spell.  As I type this cloud cover is winning the battle and it looks like the promised late afternoon rain might be on schedule.  The first clue was the umbrellas at the gangplank area for passengers to take if desired.

We visited in 2017 on Mariner. Very pretty little town. Our lunch was closer to the port and the lobster was magnificent!

• Like 1

FWIW I made it a point to ask people I have met what they did today and got favorable reviews for the food tours, and for the horse drawn trolley tour.  I think most people, but not all, got their tours and walks in before the rain came, as it insisted on doing.  I was sitting in the coffee bar with a cappuccino and got tickled because EVERY person that popped around the corner was rubbing their hands and shivering and making some derogatory comments about the weather.  That said, we have been very fortunate in this cruise.  This is the first rain day of the whole trip and it wasn’t even the whole day.  

If you have never played trivia it is a lot of fun, so I recommend it.  Takes 30 minutes.  Worst case, you learn minutiae you forgot or never knew.  Best case you get one right and feel inordinately proud of yourself.  They have a new Mensa sheet every day so there are five questions a day with which you can torture yourself or argue with your spouse about Jane, who is twice her age after fourteen years but lives two doors down from her best friend who is half Jane’s age, and therefore, if today is a full moon, what was the color of Jane’s house five years ago.  Drives me nuts.  

But we attempt it every day.  You don’t have to do both trivia and Mensa.  Either or both.  I have yet to discern if wine helps or not.

Tonight is a Beatles show, I think.  My husband is not a fan, so we are skipping it.  We get back the hour we lost earlier, always a cause for celebration. An extra hour of sleep!  Yay!

Over the next few days I’ll update you on my overall impressions.  Tomorrow is a sea day.  Then Saquenay.  Then Quebec City.  Then Montreal, and home on Saturday.  Woe.  See you tomorrow. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

@mrlevin  I’m sure there are many of us here that remember that first picture with a wonderful gem in the center and with Salma Hayek and Pierce Brosnan onboard.

say what!?  Please fill in the blanks for those of us who don’t know this interesting piece of info!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

FWIW I made it a point to ask people I have met what they did today and got favorable reviews for the food tours, and for the horse drawn trolley tour.  I think most people, but not all, got their tours and walks in before the rain came, as it insisted on doing.  I was sitting in the coffee bar with a cappuccino and got tickled because EVERY person that popped around the corner was rubbing their hands and shivering and making some derogatory comments about the weather.  That said, we have been very fortunate in this cruise.  This is the first rain day of the whole trip and it wasn’t even the whole day.  

If you have never played trivia it is a lot of fun, so I recommend it.  Takes 30 minutes.  Worst case, you learn minutiae you forgot or never knew.  Best case you get one right and feel inordinately proud of yourself.  They have a new Mensa sheet every day so there are five questions a day with which you can torture yourself or argue with your spouse about Jane, who is twice her age after fourteen years but lives two doors down from her best friend who is half Jane’s age, and therefore, if today is a full moon, what was the color of Jane’s house five years ago.  Drives me nuts.  

But we attempt it every day.  You don’t have to do both trivia and Mensa.  Either or both.  I have yet to discern if wine helps or not.

Tonight is a Beatles show, I think.  My husband is not a fan, so we are skipping it.  We get back the hour we lost earlier, always a cause for celebration. An extra hour of sleep!  Yay!

Over the next few days I’ll update you on my overall impressions.  Tomorrow is a sea day.  Then Saquenay.  Then Quebec City.  Then Montreal, and home on Saturday.  Woe.  See you tomorrow. 

Sorry you didn’t give Beatles night a chance.  It can be a great evening. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Funny, I always think of the Coffee Connection on Navigator as the "other" side that has the espresso machines and barista.

Which has a full bar that is staffed from 0630; a unique, and worthwhile, benefit only on Navigator.

• Like 2

Low key sea day.  Cold and windy outside, but sunny.

A passenger is being taken off the ship for a health emergency.  Pick up by Canadian Coast Guard, so we are at a virtual standstill.  Hurts my heart for that person and their family.  

had a nice lunch in CR with two other couples.  No big plans today…a nap would be a luxury.  Mensa and Trivia at 4:30, dinner in Prime 7.  More later.  

• Like 4

We missed Sydney and Charlottetown on our cruise last fall due to the 2 hurricanes.  I had been to both before bur really like them, so was disappointed.  My husband also is a great lover of lobster, BTW, and he definitely would agree with the 80/20 proportion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Which has a full bar that is staffed from 0630; a unique, and worthwhile, benefit only on Navigator.

Love the fact that there is always snacks  to go with my drink anytime of day. The areas are right together. They are cozy but I do like the set up on Navigator.  Live music(evenings), cocktails, tea coffee hot chocolate and food all in one place almost 24/7.are at least when most people are awake.

• Like 3

So, for what it’s worth, my perspective on the last couple of days. In Sydney, like GP, we stayed on board. The tendering process, rough waters, and resultant delays, dissuaded us from leaving. We turned in our tour tickets and consoled ourselves with a lavish lunch in CR. It appeared that some others were similarly inclined. Yet friends with whom we are travelling enjoyed their Sydney tour.

For Charlottetown, we had a walking tour booked as a “placeholder”. We waitlisted for the “Coastal Charms” bus tour, but all showed up. So, a tad reluctantly, we took the “island tour and Anne of Green Gables” bus tour. It turned out great! Bus driver needed navigational directions from our native Islander tour guide (more on that, below).

Tour took us through key parts of the capital Charlottetown (population 39,000) and into rural parts of what is affectionately called the postage stamp province of Canada (total population 160,000). Stopped at a preserve company (lovely jams, etc., for tasting and sale); then a scenic drive to the museum and house of Lucy Maude Montgomery.

Museum operated by Parks Canada, federal government department. Well done, great historical information on Lucy   Maude Montgomery and her prolific writing. Museum and house staff most informative. It was a nice day, weather-wise, too as rain held off until later.

So, why did our most pleasant bus driver need guidance? Because she came from Moncton, NB, a neighbouring province. Our guide said that all regulars were booked long ago for the Zaandam, a HAL ship scheduled for this port. Consequently, when our itinerary changed (for valid reasons), Regent had to scramble to find buses and resources. Yet, in the short time available, they managed. Kudos to our excursion team for getting it done.

Evening was most pleasant, including another nice dinner at Prime 7. 

Today, Wednesday May 17, sailing the St. Lawrence Seaway. Our turn for the Sommelier lunch (amazingly, I can still type on an IPhone after copious consumption of vino with delicious food). During our lunch we heard the announcements re the medical disembark, and no doubt all wish the individual and their family well. 

Currently, weather cool but sunny, water calm. All good on board

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@ON cruiser  Thanks for that great addition of info for people to read.  I really hope others will chime in and share a few bits and pieces, or more, of their experience on the ship.

A friend on the ship threw out a pithy observation that struck me, and I think is pertinent to my impressions of this ship and journey.  I was startled when he said it, but immediately had to acknowledge the truth in what he said….which was…..we rarely go back to restaurants where we have had a magnificent meal, because the second experience is hardly ever as wonderful as the first.  That can be the case!  If you apply that to a cruise, I think there can be a lot of truth there.  

Our first R cruise was on the Explorer just after cruising started again and the ship was far from full. So that was an experience that was certainly a once in a lifetime first cruise. We were positively dazzled.  It wasn’t perfection but was as close as mere humans can come. The second, on Splendor, was wonderful.  This one is so different because of the ship, and also different because we have familiarity with R.  So the delight of discovering that we loved how our hard-earned dollars were spent is not as great.  But still gratifying. And the highs of best cruise ever are more moderate and adjusted due to the increasing familiarity factor.

So, do I like this cruise?  Yes.

The ship?  Yes, but I like the larger ships more.

Would I sail the mightily little Navigator again?  Yes.

Would she be your first choice?  No, due to the size.  Personal preference.

The staff?  Just as wonderful.

The entertainment?  Good.  We are not show people, so factor that in.

The food?  Seems like a few more misses than previous.  Not sure if it is supply chain, or this ship in comparison, but not quite as excellent as before.  But the same anxious desire to make passengers happy, and the same prompt service to rectify whatever is wrong,  There really is no excuse to eat a meal you don’t like on R.  
Cruise Director?  Love him.  Very polished.  Very entertaining.  Charming.

Bar Staff?  I thought they were great.  More consistent than that we found on Splendor.  But any issues are quickly resolved with a redo.

Destination Services?  I think they have had to do yeoman’s work on this rapidly changing cruise.  @ON cruiser just expressed it well with his experience in Charlotte Town.

Time for Trivia.  More soon.

• Like 7

@GeorgiaPeach51GP, I appreciate your honest, fair and definitely humerous  reviews.

I almost booked the Navigator for a Montreal-New York cruise this summer but with helpful reviews and a gut feeling I decided to book Voyager instead. I think it’s just a little too small for us. Look forward to reading about the last few days. 

Edited by WNcruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with your assessment of Navigator GP51 - I enjoyed my cruise on her but she probably wouldn't be my first choice if there were two similar itineraries. However, we are yet to sail on one of the bigger ships - have an Asia cruise on Explorer later in the year so I am looking forward to comparing. We also have a Norwegian cruise on SB Ovation in the summer so I am also looking forward to comparing the newer, bigger Seabourn ship. 😁

• Like 3

21 hours ago, mrlevin said:

They made the best hot chocolate that I have  ever had; mounds of whipped cream on top.

• Like 2

Morning!  We are in Quebec City, my first visit, so I am excited.  Our tour is later in the day so I am avoiding making eye contact with the big ole elephant in the room.  The suitcases have slithered their way out from under the bed.  The only saving grace is that packing to leave is so much easier than packing to arrive.  Or am I the only one who pretty much pitches it all in there till the weight allowance is met, heedless of wrinkles and rumples?  It’s all going in the laundry or to the dry cleaners anyhow….

We were in Saquenay yesterday.  Cold and windy again.  We did a tour that went to the Fiords Museum, an angora goat farm and to part of a museum featuring the artist Villanueve.  The tour was okay, the tour guide, Linda, did the best she could with what she had to offer.  The Fiords Museum was the best part, I thought.  You go into a dark room with space age looking seats and they show a narrated video of the fiords and how they were created, and then there is a small aquarium and an interesting section about the history of the area, and the people who settled there.  

IMG_0359.jpeg

IMG_0360.jpeg

IMG_0361.jpeg

IMG_0362.jpeg

IMG_0363.jpeg

IMG_0364.jpeg

• Like 1

Then the bus went to a few small towns adjacent to Saquenay.  I thought this was interesting…in January thru March the people erect about 1500 ice fishing huts.  They drive out onto the ice, have restaurants out on the frozen lake.  The photos are of a pamphlet, so not the best, but I wanted you to see it.  On the back were photos of animals in the area.  

IMG_0376.jpeg

IMG_0377.jpeg

Next stop was the goat farm.  We saw the goats and their protective Jenny, the donkey that acts as a protector.  When we got close to the goats the donkey rushed over, braying, letting us all know that we were suspicious and in need of investigation.  Then there was a presentation of how the wool is treated and formed into material.  Of course, you could buy wool items.  One woman was sitting there meticulously testing small clumps of wool and stretching it with her fingers.  Imagine doing that all day.  Just shoot me and get it over with.  

When we were in college my twin sister had a summer job in the Archway cookie factory in Fredericksburg, VA, where we grew up.  Her job all night long was to stack cookies as they came down the conveyor belt.  Ovens nearby.  Every night I would pick her up in the one family car and she would get in, smelling like hot, sweaty cookies, which is the only way I can think to describe it.  I never want to encounter it again.  We would drive home with all windows down, even if it was pouring rain. One night she called me to come get her early.  Apparently, a woman who had worked there for years suddenly went berserk, swearing at the cookies, the ovens, the conveyor belt, grabbing cookies off the belt and throwing them on the floor and jumping up and down on them.  Reminiscent of Lucy and the chocolate factory.  The rescue squad came and that was a short night.  My sister went back the next night and it was business as usual.  Even after showers she smelled like cookies that whole summer and I have never touched an Archway cookie since.
sifting wool all day = endless cookies, IMO

After the goats we went to see the home of Villanueve, a famous local artist.  He painted all the walls in his home, not like we would paint walls, but as if they were his canvas. Floor to ceiling.  They just lifted part of his house and plopped it into the museum, if I understand it correctly.  The tour guide was museum staff and it was very difficult to understand him.  His microphone successfully garbled his words just enough that no one could tell what he was saying,  I thought it was me, but even my husband, who can hear with the best of them, had no clue what he said.  So, apologies if I get anything wrong about him.  You couldn’t take photos within the house but they had some displays outside the house and that is what you see in the photos.  His poor wife fought to keep him from painting her kitchen walls and cabinets but failed, saving only the front of the refrigerator from his paintbrush!  😃

IMG_0380.jpeg

IMG_0383.jpeg

IMG_0385.jpeg

IMG_0386.jpeg

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Like 1

We were invited, with another couple, to have dinner in Compass Rose last night with Ray, the CD.  He is so charming, and is just fascinating to listen to.  What a life he has had.  Spent hours adrift in a boat after the ship he was on caught fire and was evacuated long ago, performed for the Queen, met Putin and Mandela.  He is going strong and obviously just loves what he does.  It was a once in a lifetime treat.

We are doing a walking tour today, ending with tea at the Frontenac, so I will report to you later. My husband has been bustling around packing and it is now, regretfully, my turn.  Ugh cubed.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

We were invited, with another couple, to have dinner in Compass Rose last night with Ray, the CD.  He is so charming, and is just fascinating to listen to.  What a life he has had.  Spent hours adrift in a boat after the ship he was on caught fire and was evacuated long ago, performed for the Queen, met Putin and Mandela.  He is going strong and obviously just loves what he does.  It was a once in a lifetime treat.

We are doing a walking tour today, ending with tea at the Frontenac, so I will report to you later. My husband has been bustling around packing and it is now, regretfully, my turn.  Ugh cubed.

Hope the weather cooperates today in QC. Beautiful city and Frontenac Hotel is gorgeous.

• Like 2