Live from Sky Princess 6 May

Eglesbrech

Have been on Sky Princess a number of times now and it has always been difficult to find a seat in the evening. Must be because of using the whole of deck six of the Piazza for the photo gallery and shops. This dry dock was a missed opportunity to rectify the issue. I’m thinking our next cruise in June will be the last time we sail Sky Princess. Not ideal as the ship seems to be the go to ship for Southampton sailings. Would much prefer the Enchanted. Here’s hoping the Sky gets swapped for one of the new Sphere Class ships once both are sailing.

• Like 2

For me the issue is not so much about drinking as it is not seeing the entertainment. There is one show a night in the theatre, after that it is all floor shows in the bars (generic term for all the venues for clarity I mean the piazza etc as well).

When we passed through Crown Grill area last night there was an excellent singer with a guitar and we would have liked to have listed while having our night cap which by the way for me is hot chocolate. Not a seat to be had and people already standing.

Ps no fear of me being a bar fly on a stool, I’m too short to get upon one! I am more built for a nice comfy low level chair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, antsp said:

Nice to see that they adjust menus for uk passengers

I may be the odd one out here and many will disagree but hear me out and at least respectfully agree to disagree...

I actually dislike that they adjust things to UK passengers. Here's why.

If I wanted to eat British food and have a cup of PG Tips in my room, I would travel P&O or stay on land. 

You don't go to Spain and ask for Pie and Mash, you eat Paella, tapas and drink Sangria!

Part of the fun for me of travelling different ships and lines is the different foods/shows/services each offer. If they're all homogenised, it becomes no different to how dull the british high streets are. "Oh I fancy Italian, there's Ask, Zizzi or Bella Italia...just like EVERY city in the UK"

I want Princess to be Princess, Carnival to be Carnival and P&O to be P&O, but I respect that some are different ❤️

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I may be the odd one out here and many will disagree but hear me out and at least respectfully agree to disagree...

I actually dislike that they adjust things to UK passengers. Here's why.

If I wanted to eat British food and have a cup of PG Tips in my room, I would travel P&O or stay on land. 

You don't go to Spain and ask for Pie and Mash, you eat Paella, tapas and drink Sangria!

Part of the fun for me of travelling different ships and lines is the different foods/shows/services each offer. If they're all homogenised, it becomes no different to how dull the british high streets are. "Oh I fancy Italian, there's Ask, Zizzi or Bella Italia...just like EVERY city in the UK"

I want Princess to be Princess, Carnival to be Carnival and P&O to be P&O, but I respect that some are different ❤️

Totally with you on this.

There was a recent article on Travel Weekly titled "Princess Cruises adds British drinks to Southampton ships" with London Pride specifically mentioned. I really hope this isn't in lieu of some the American beers I've seen on menus like Lagunitas IPA!

Can anyone onboard now confirm what beer selection there is please?

13 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Rock Opera was excellent this evening. A very good guest tenor along with a strong cast. The theatre was full to the extent that people were standing down the side aisles against the wall (2nd show).

I’m really pleased to hear Rock Opera was excellent

one of my Favourite things to do on a cruise is go to see the theatre shows

can anyone let me know if the earlier showing is likely to be quieter though please?

reserved seating is the only thing in the new premier package I wish I had but sadly I have the older version of the package. We were quoted quite a lot to upgrade to the new version so decided against it

TIA 😊

• Like 2

6 hours ago, david63 said:

Out of interest are there specific times when getting a table in a bar is difficult/impossible or is it all of the time?

It’s most of the time, or at least on this sailing which is so full they paid people not to come onboard!

Today on the sea day it was like a game of musical chairs. 

We wanted to do the TV theme music quiz,  no seats. We wanted to see the talk, no seats. We wanted a drink in Bellinis, we eventually got a seat after waiting and hanging about  for a while.

Full  disclosure the weather on this cruise has not been too good so there are few people using the outdoor bars / seating which has probably exacerbated the issues.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Full  disclosure the weather on this cruise has not been too good so there are few people using the outdoor bars / seating which has probably exacerbated the issues.

I think that is one of the key issues. 

As you know,  we were on Sky over Easter, and the ship was full, just under 4000 pax. For most of the time,  the weather was kind, so there was little problem getting seats in the indoor venues during the day.

However,  on the last couple of days, the weather changed, and trying to get a table in somewhere like the IC was nigh on impossible. We were just pleased that we had  a minisuite, and more or less stayed there for two days !

But, regardless of weather, you are right - finding seats in a bar after 21:00 can be difficult.

• Like 1

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

It’s most of the time, or at least on this sailing which is so full they paid people not to come onboard!

Today on the sea day it was like a game of musical chairs. 

We wanted to do the TV theme music quiz,  no seats. We wanted to see the talk, no seats. We wanted a drink in Bellinis, we eventually got a seat after waiting and hanging about  for a while.

I’m sure the weather is better than it is at home right now!

I do think they should have made what is now Rudi’s a lounge area. That would have really helped especially as there is no large lounge on a higher deck that looks out the front. It would be interesting to know how well used Rudi’s is.

At least the showtime is at 10.15, on our last celebrity cruise the shows were much earlier so it meant a lot of people were wanting to use lounge areas earlier on in the night. 

What time are they showing MUTS? That might be a good place to go after the show instead of a bar?

11 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

Have been on Sky Princess a number of times now and it has always been difficult to find a seat in the evening. Must be because of using the whole of deck six of the Piazza for the photo gallery and shops. This dry dock was a missed opportunity to rectify the issue. I’m thinking our next cruise in June will be the last time we sail Sky Princess. Not ideal as the ship seems to be the go to ship for Southampton sailings. Would much prefer the Enchanted. Here’s hoping the Sky gets swapped for one of the new Sphere Class ships once both are sailing.

Is there much difference between the 2 ships then?? We was on enchanted last year and loved it and from what I could gather the ships were more or less identical bar a few things

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

@himan I have checked and I don’t see the style of watch you mentioned. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to look, I am extremely grateful to you for taking the time to do that as watches are not everyones cup of tea. I now know I will most likely have to buy one in Southampton before sailing or try for one in Gibraltar. Enjoy the rest of your cruise and glad to hear things are improving for you.

42 minutes ago, Scarey92 said:

Is there much difference between the 2 ships then?? We was on enchanted last year and loved it and from what I could gather the ships were more or less identical bar a few things

For me personally I find the enchanted to be a better ship than the sky. Unlike the Enchanted the sky does not have a crooners lounge. And the skies photo gallery for whatever reason is rather large. They also shifted the location of the good spirits bar between the two ships. It's just very small minor differences otherwise

Edited by Jeter02

1 hour ago, Nicole&Pete said:

I do think they should have made what is now Rudi’s a lounge area.

But a lounge is a non-revenue generating area, so, unfortunately your idea, while excellent, was never going to happen.