"Optional" Gala Night ?

MCC retired

Just noticed that our TA on May 18th has 2 Gala Nights plus an additional "Optional" Gala night.

First that I have seen this .

Wonder how it is handled onboard as far as 100% ship access by Smart Casual after 6pm ?

I've experienced what used to be called "Formal Optional" on short cruises, it worked reasonably well.

I wonder if this is a response to the complaints about the reduction in Gala nights from 3 to 2.

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

Just noticed that our TA on May 18th has 2 Gala Nights plus an additional "Optional" Gala night.

First that I have seen this .

Wonder how it is handled onboard as far as 100% ship access by Smart Casual after 6pm ?

Is that the 4th night by any chance?

When we booked in September 2018 for sailing in 2020 the 4th night in each direction was shown as Gala Night with no theme specified. By the time we actually travelled in 2022 there were only the themed nights on day 2 and 6. We treated night 4 both ways as an optional Gala Night.

Should have noted that the photographers set up for formal pics on both those nights even though not advertised as Gala. Perhaps they realised the photography franchise was doing less business.

Edited by D&N
added para on photographers

9 minutes ago, D&N said:

Is that the 4th night by any chance?

When we booked in September 2018 for sailing in 2020 the 4th night in each direction was shown as Gala Night with no theme specified. By the time we actually travelled in 2022 there were only the themed nights on day 2 and 6. We treated night 4 both ways as an optional Gala Night.

Should have noted that the photographers set up for formal pics on both those nights even though not advertised as Gala. Perhaps they realised the photography franchise was doing less business.

On this sailing Optional Gala is first , then Black & White , then Masquerade .

Please double-check the start date. I believe you are asking about the May 16th crossing starting in Hamburg.

As with most of the short 2-night segments between Hamburg and Southampton, the evening of the one full sea day (May 17th in this case) prior to arrival the next day in either Hamburg or Southampton is designated "Gala Evening - Optional".

The crossing starting in Southampton on May 18th has the usual two Gala Evenings. That one is an 8-night crossing with a call in Le Havre on May 19th. The Gala Evenings for that crossing from Southampton are May 20th (Black & White) and May 24th (Masquerade).

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Please double-check the start date. I believe you are asking about the May 16th crossing starting in Hamburg.

As with most of the short 2-night segments between Hamburg and Southampton, the evening of the one full sea day (May 17th in this case) prior to arrival the next day in either Hamburg or Southampton is designated "Gala Evening - Optional".

The crossing starting in Southampton on May 18th has the usual two Gala Evenings. That one is an 8-night crossing with a call in Le Havre on May 19th. The Gala Evenings for that crossing from Southampton are May 20th (Black & White) and May 24th (Masquerade).

You are correct . The Optional Gala night is on May 17 , the 2 night segment from Germany . Confused that it shows on my Cunard Cruise Calendar.  My error .

So my 8 night TA on the 18th has only 3 Gala Nights .

• Like 1

Looking at Cunard to get back to the US as I can't fly. My husband doesn't own a tux does that mean we can't use the main dining rooms for dinner some nights? As we are sailing from US to Southampton then back the extra luggage for his suit isn't an issue. He's not thrilled with the idea because we have been doing smart casual only for so long. Me I'm easy just a cocktail dress and I'm done.

Also are jeans acceptable during the day except at tea of course? I'm looking at just a simple balcony cabin even though the cruise is only a TA in May.

Thanks we generally sail Princess or NCL so this level is new for us.

3 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Looking at Cunard to get back to the US as I can't fly. My husband doesn't own a tux does that mean we can't use the main dining rooms for dinner some nights? As we are sailing from US to Southampton then back the extra luggage for his suit isn't an issue. He's not thrilled with the idea because we have been doing smart casual only for so long. Me I'm easy just a cocktail dress and I'm done.

Also are jeans acceptable during the day except at tea of course? I'm looking at just a simple balcony cabin even though the cruise is only a TA in May.

Thanks we generally sail Princess or NCL so this level is new for us.

It doesn’t have to be a dinner jacket. A dark suit is perfectly acceptable on Gala Nights, and quite commonly seen on some cruises. Jeans are fine, even for tea, just not in the evening. 

If you are doing a TA, consider a sheltered balcony. You may not see much of the sea sitting down, but will get much more use from the balcony.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It doesn’t have to be a dinner jacket. A dark suit is perfectly acceptable on Gala Nights, and quite commonly seen on some cruises. Jeans are fine, even for tea, just not in the evening. 

If you are doing a TA, consider a sheltered balcony. You may not see much of the sea sitting down, but will get much more use from the balcony.

Thank you very much didn't think of a sheltered balcony will check that out. We just like the sea air or would just do an ocean view for a TA.

13 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Probably 95% of pax respect the dress code.

It's easier to say where you CAN go.

If you're not able to comply, then maybe you're on the wrong shipping line.

It's interesting to me that in the Cunard advertising they seem to be making the point that the gala theme nights are not mandatory. It seems they are leaning more toward the smart casual theme. Which brings us back to the original question. 

54 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Looking at Cunard to get back to the US as I can't fly. My husband doesn't own a tux does that mean we can't use the main dining rooms for dinner some nights?

In addition to the other comments, note that there is a distinction between the "optional gala nights" mentioned at the start of this thread, and "gala nights". The optional aspect relates to the tag on sectors between (typically) Hamburg or Le Havre and Southampton when there will be both short cruise passengers as well as passengers going over the Atlantic. For the main crossing over the Atlantic the dress code is very much in place. 

Compared to the cost of the cruises, getting your husband a tuxedo is not going to be a huge cost, and it potentially have other uses. But the guidance is on the Cunard website (Google: Cunard what to pack) and it doesn't mandate a tux - it can be a formal suit and tie. The bit they don't mention, but which is 101% acceptable, is other forms of formal wear - so those of Scottish or Irish heritage wearing a kilt outfit and derivatives are fine too. So with a bit of imagination there maybe something already suitable in your husband's wardrobe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, larry_s_taco said:

gala theme nights are not mandatory. It seems they are leaning more toward the smart casual theme. 

There’s a big leap from stating that the meaning of theme night optional dressing is the same adhering to the overall after 6pm dress code. You don’t have to dress in 1920’s garb to match that theme but you do have a dress code. 
There are other lines available to be 100% casual; and many pax from those lines seem to give Cunard a try to participate in a more elegant and “dressy” atmosphere that matches the ship. 

I certainly am not a snob but if I’m going to make the effort to dress up for a voyage, I don’t want to sitting next to someone with an AC/DC tour tshirt. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, techteach said:

@larry_s_taco We were in grills and not one single man wasn’t in a tux. I was in a position to watch people enter, and I did. Beautiful gowns on the ladies.

I am a tad concerned about your comment.  My husband and I will be on our first Cunard cruise in September.  We will be in a Queen’s Grill suite, but my husband is  determined to wear a rather new dark suit.  He had his fill of Black Tie events before he retired.  I am thinking he will stick out like a sore thumb.  Any comments, please?

12 minutes ago, escrick said:

I am a tad concerned about your comment.  My husband and I will be on our first Cunard cruise in September.  We will be in a Queen’s Grill suite, but my husband is  determined to wear a rather new dark suit.  He had his fill of Black Tie events before he retired.  I am thinking he will stick out like a sore thumb.  Any comments, please?

Nobody in a dark suit will stick out, but they may be in a minority. Don’t fret. He’ll be fine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, escrick said:

Wear the dark suit. I have not cruised QM2 for many, many years and never in QG so can't speak for 'her'  but as far as QE/QV are concerned I will admit a Dinner Suit will be worn by the majority of chaps in QG but by no means, all in our experience. He will be fine.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, escrick said:

On QM2, which is ther most formal, I'm afraid he will be in the minority without a dinner suit. We've crossed the Pond about 10 or 12 times in QG and I don't ever remember any men NOT wearing a dinner suit on a Formal/Gala night.

Certainly with a dark suit, he will be dress code compliant, but.......

4 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

On QM2, which is ther most formal, I'm afraid he will be in the minority without a dinner suit. We've crossed the Pond about 10 or 12 times in QG and I don't ever remember any men NOT wearing a dinner suit on a Formal/Gala night.

Certainly with a dark suit, he will be dress code compliant, but.......

Well, my husband didn’t. So you missed him. And he was by no means the only one on that particular crossing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

ohhh my daughter will be happy on the jeans one!!!!

We loved the dressing up, as a matter of fact we started looking at Cunard because if the opportunity to dress up... we used to dress up to the theatre, the Albert Hall and Southbank last times we did dress up, need up feeling a bit over dressed..... but for some reason I think my daughter thought jeans were a no no the whole trip! great to hear is not that!

Edited by MrsPeel55

2 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

ohhh my daughter will be happy on the jeans one!!!!

We loved the dressing up, as a matter of fact we started looking at Cunard because if the opportunity to dress up... we used to dress up to the theatre, the Albert Hall and Southbank last times we did dress up, need up feeling a bit over dressed..... but for some reason I think my daughter thought jeans were a no no the whole trip! great to hear is not that!

Golly, I live in jeans of some sort [not ripped, I'm too old for that🙂] during the day when onboard. No problem whatsoever.

• Like 1