"Optional" Gala Night ?

MCC retired

12 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

This wording from the daily programme may help inform the discussion of "optional" gala evenings. This is for the "Gala Evening - Optional" scheduled on our recent sea day between Southampton and Hamburg. This is the only wording that differs from what is stated on regular gala evenings. I found it interesting that the word "optional" does not actually appear anywhere in the daily programme's discussion of the evening's dress code.

"(Smart Attire is acceptable for guests who are finally disembarking tomorrow if preferred)"

The structure of that is so bizarre that it reads as if the preference might be for disembarking rather than dress. I have been on many cruises where I should have been delighted to be told that disembarking was a matter of choice, and I could stay in if I wished. 🙂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NE John said:

The dress code was so much easier to follow before Cunard tinkered with it!

I don't think its terribly difficult to follow now. It's just that so many regulars disagree with the tweaks and poke holes in them and when offering their opinions, make their own take sound almost fact rather than an opinion.

Disagree yes [and I wish it were the three codes of yesteryear]  but be accurate when answering questions,

• Like 2

On 5/14/2023 at 8:53 AM, NE John said:

The dress code was so much easier to follow before Cunard tinkered with it!

On our July sailing we have the second one marked as Gala but no theme designated. Maybe we will see when we get on board. It's a Day at Sea. We'll see.....

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

On our July sailing we have the second one marked as Gala but no theme designated. Maybe we will see when we get on board. It's a Day at Sea. We'll see.....

There doesn’t have to be a theme. But, if there is, surely they should let you know before  you board.

On 5/14/2023 at 7:59 PM, ballroom-cruisers said:

It seems that the issue of how smart is smart attire, or how formal is a Gala night is a discussion that will likely still be ongoing a century from now!  However, no matter what is posted about being able to wear whatever you like because nobody will tell you otherwise, it remains the case, certainly on all the Cunard voyages that we have done, that the vast majority of people will wear smarter smart attire than the minimum requirements on the Cunard notices, in those parts of the ship where the dress code applies - such as the dining rooms, the Queens Room or the Commodore Club.  A couple of weeks ago on QV very few men were not wearing jackets at dinner, or in the Queens Room, including on Smart Attire evenings, and late evening in the Commodore Club the same was very apparent. Lots of ladies were looking proud and lovely in elegant evening outfits. It is possible that on some voyages that I have not been on that may not be the case, and perhaps others might comment on whether any voyages have seen a significant rise in people dressing more casually. Also on our last voyage on Gala nights I didn't see a single person not dressed in special evening wear, with mostly bow ties and jackets with quite a lot of tuxes for the men, and almost all the ladies wearing evening dresses, with a lot of sparkly ones too, with some wearing pretty sparkly tops with smart separates, and many with elegant shoes, and nice jewellery.  

So of course it is possible for anyone to wear the minimum that applies for the wording of the dress code, but it is pretty apparent that most people actually want to enjoy being part of the special elegance of the evenings, which has long been a Cunard tradition, whether the few Gala evenings or the other normal evenings on a voyage.

I would not be surprised if people will continue to make evenings special on Cunard cruises, irrespective of any published dress code purely because it has become a tradition that people who enjoy Cunard voyages have come to love because it is so very different to the traditions on most other lines.

Well said, totally agree with your comments.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2023 at 11:59 AM, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

It’s reasonable to note that we don’t have to dress to the minimum. That realization makes it all easy.

Well said.  A few years ago I wrote to Cunard to complain about there being only two formal nights on a 10-day cruise on the QE. I pointed out that a few years before there were three on a seven-day cruise on the same ship. The reply stressed the standards are minimum and "guests" are free to dress more formally any time they wish.  

7 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Yes, but it isn't just about dressing up yourself.  You are free to put on a dinner jacket and go to McDonalds for dinner.  But you'd look somewhat foolish doing so.

Or you could take the view that all the other clients were foolish. 🤣

• Like 1

@D&N  that's our view !!!! 🙂 we got Cunard precisely because I kinda knew I wouldn't  look foolish if I dressed up every night.... honestly, there are MUCH cheaper lines if I wanted a week of relaxing by the pool and wearing what I wear to eat out in London....

Having said that, I was expecting 2 gala nights for a week,  but after reading (here, actually, some articles in Cruise Critic) about cut backs in some companies... I ll be glad to have just one providing that the food standards and general cruise attitude is the one they paint/promise in their cruise description... friends of ours from the USA cruised with Cunard pre pandemic and had a marvellous experience, a couple of British friends also were amazed with their experience...hence our going for paying more... and, judging by the opinions of most of you guys who have replied to my questions, I'm excited and confident we will have an amazing experience 🙂  (and still keeping the hope that may add another gala night?) 

12 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I am confused,  every night you have option of wearing a DJ , evening dress. So what is an optional gala night.

My post #41.

Sea day when short cruise passengers are leaving next morning and might have packed their finery.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

When are you sailing? The Gala nights should be showing on the calendar on My Cunard.

Hattie, Sept 08th, and yes, first thing I did when I signed up here was look up your pinned threads and looked it up, the one you have is right,  was confirmed last week on My Cunard, is toward the end of the trip and is 1920s 🙂

I know I can dress up every night, just themed nights are a bit more exciting!! 🙂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MrsPeel55 said:

Hattie, Sept 08th, and yes, first thing I did when I signed up here was look up your pinned threads and looked it up, the one you have is right,  was confirmed last week on My Cunard, is toward the end of the trip and is 1920s 🙂

I know I can dress up every night, just themed nights are a bit more exciting!! 🙂

Unfortunately your Sept 8th sailing is one of the few occasions when Cunard are not adhering to their policy "At least twice on each seven-night voyage we’ll host a Gala Evening." Your 7-night sailing from Civitavecchia is part of the longer 14-night sailing from Southampton departing September 1st. It is usual now for Cunard to offer only three gala evenings on a 14-night cruise. But when they sell the second half of that cruise as a separate 7-night cruise, they ought to offer two gala evenings on that portion of the cruise as well.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2023 at 11:13 PM, MrsPeel55 said:

One can never be “overdressed” on Cunard.  
Consider a full round trip Crossing Voyage on QM, as there is an unofficial dress code (regardless of published) being “Formal” every evening except for the embarkation and pre disembarkation evenings.  Think one would love this.  Book onboard?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

One can never be “overdressed” on Cunard.  
Consider a full round trip Crossing Voyage on QM, as there is an unofficial dress code (regardless of published) being “Formal” every evening except for the embarkation and pre disembarkation evenings.  Think one would love this.  Book onboard?

We haven't made a QM2 crossing, although we have, twice on QV and although I would imagine the evening dress attire might be more traditional on QM2, to say there is an unofficial dress code of 'formal' every evening is in the mind of the beholders and not the company.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Totally agree, but also in the eye with the physical presence.

but by implying an off the record formal dress code most nights, however unofficial that code might be, is unauthenticated and  confusing however much you would like to see such.

Be factual. You can then add your personal thoughts.

54 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

but by implying an off the record formal dress code most nights, however unofficial that code might be, is unauthenticated and  confusing however much you would like to see such.

Be factual. You can then add your personal thoughts.

Participated.

Thanks to the excellent suggestion by @D&N one will also dress “Formal” on the penultimate evening.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
D&N
  • Like 1

I think  Cunard are missing  a trick. I think there is demand for more gala nights , but it will vary by cruise and time of year.

Given most people will sign onto their account. They could simply ask do you want an extra gala night or more. If yes then let's have more official gala nights. Of course I  could be wrong.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2023 at 7:27 AM, latebloomer56 said:

Looking at Cunard to get back to the US as I can't fly. My husband doesn't own a tux does that mean we can't use the main dining rooms for dinner some nights? As we are sailing from US to Southampton then back the extra luggage for his suit isn't an issue. He's not thrilled with the idea because we have been doing smart casual only for so long. Me I'm easy just a cocktail dress and I'm done.

Also are jeans acceptable during the day except at tea of course? I'm looking at just a simple balcony cabin even though the cruise is only a TA in May.

Thanks we generally sail Princess or NCL so this level is new for us.

Since you are changing cruise lines, you should expect there to be differences. Dress is one of them. You should be prepared to have two formal nights and the rest as one would wear to a nice dinner out at a fancy restaurant. If that isn't to your liking, then Cunard will likely not be to your liking.

• Like 3