Inside or balcony?

BRDbabies

I am bringing my mom and her friend (78 & 80) to Alaska this summer. I will have a balcony cabin, and they felt like having an inside across the hall would be suitable so that is what I booked. Mom only has ever sailed with insides and has always had a fabulous time on her cruises! Her friend has never cruised before and likely won’t ever again)

Now I’m wondering if I should upgrade them to the balcony next door to me (it’s a available and is an option my TA said could be done). This is my third time to Alaska and have never done it with a balcony - looking for advice about this! Should I splurge the extra money for them to have the balcony as well? They are on fixed incomes so the extra money comes from me, just wondering if it would be money well spent, or save it and splurge on an extra excursion for them?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, moses0 said:
57 minutes ago, BRDbabies said:

I am bringing my mom and her friend (78 & 80) to Alaska this summer. I will have a balcony cabin, and they felt like having an inside across the hall would be suitable so that is what I booked. Mom only has ever sailed with insides and has always had a fabulous time on her cruises! Her friend has never cruised before and likely won’t ever again)

Now I’m wondering if I should upgrade them to the balcony next door to me (it’s a available and is an option my TA said could be done). This is my third time to Alaska and have never done it with a balcony - looking for advice about this! Should I splurge the extra money for them to have the balcony as well? They are on fixed incomes so the extra money comes from me, just wondering if it would be money well spent, or save it and splurge on an extra excursion for them?

Be generous and kind. Balcony!….  It’s your Mother…..

Put the extra special tours etc on the plastic and forget about the money, one’s Mother is more important.

• Like 5

We too have cruised Alaska and on the last one, our son had an inside opposite our suite.

If pennies are an issue, I would leave the booking as it stands. They can always share your view. If you can splurge a bit, it might be a once in a lifetime destination for your mother and I would go for two balconies.

• Like 1

Make sure you ask your room steward to remove the balcony partition so you can share the same balcony. Also, ask your TA to get a room that has movable partitions. 

Go for it!  Don’t live with regrets…

• Like 2

A balcony on Alaska is great, make sure you have some good layers of clothing just in case it gets a bit nippy.

Here's an alternative idea, on the basis that saving money may give you some further options to cruise again at a later date: why not swap the staterooms, so you take the inside, and your mum plus friend get the balcony. They will doubtless greatly enjoy your generosity, and if you want a bit of balcony time I'm sure they would love to see you. Maybe bring a pop up seat item since there are just the two chairs on the balcony. Having a next door balcony doesn't greatly help since the side shelter really blocks off each balcony. 

1 hour ago, Pushpit said:

A balcony on Alaska is great, make sure you have some good layers of clothing just in case it gets a bit nippy.

Here's an alternative idea, on the basis that saving money may give you some further options to cruise again at a later date: why not swap the staterooms, so you take the inside, and your mum plus friend get the balcony. They will doubtless greatly enjoy your generosity, and if you want a bit of balcony time I'm sure they would love to see you. Maybe bring a pop up seat item since there are just the two chairs on the balcony. Having a next door balcony doesn't greatly help since the side shelter really blocks off each balcony. 

Considered that but my mom would not accept it. Also I am a person who sleeps only a couole

hours each night, so have found on past cruises the balcony makes it easier for me as I can sit out there at all hours while not disturbing my

partner, or feeling awkward sitting in public areas at 4am lol. If I upgrade moms

cabin secretly (the docs all

come to my email) they need never know it was me lol I could just say the cruise line did it….

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, BRDbabies said:

Considered that but my mom would not accept it. Also I am a person who sleeps only a couole

hours each night, so have found on past cruises the balcony makes it easier for me as I can sit out there at all hours while not disturbing my

partner, or feeling awkward sitting in public areas at 4am lol. If I upgrade moms

come to my email) they need never know it was me lol I could just say the cruise line did it….

Seems a great idea. 😀

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BRDbabies said:

Take the thanks…. And the Hapoy Mother Hug.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Happy
  • Like 1

What a sweet and kind gesture.  Yes, the balconies can be a nice upgrade experience for someone who is usually booked with an inside cabin.

You do not have to "hide" your decision, simply say you received a great offer, and nobody deserves a splurge more than your mom.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BRDbabies said:

or feeling awkward sitting in public areas at 4am lol.

I think your approach is very good, I admire your sensitivity to others, plus it's one of my pleasures in life sitting on the balcony as the sun rises with a cup of coffee when everything outside is calm. However you really should not feel awkward about wandering the ship at 4 am, there won't be many people about but there will be some, including the early exercise folk on the promenade deck. You do pay to be there and it is a 24 hour facility, so if you want to go to the Lido/Kings Court for a coffee and a read you should do so without feeling bad about it. It's all part of enjoying your cruise.

• Like 3

Well said  Pushpit, my sleep pattern is appalling and if it wasn't for the fact I'd have to get dressed, I might have been a 4am'er if we hadn't the balcony to sit on.

Last August, to be out on the balcony as dawn, dawned, smelling the pines as we glided up the fjord to Oslo, wrapped up in a cosy Cunard robe and clutching a cup of my coffee was magic.

• Like 2

How mobile is your mother and friend?  We had a balcony on our AK cruise but never used it. We spent all our waking hours on upper decks or promenade deck, or public rooms with huge windows. All of those were so far superior to the view from our balcony.  If the ladies can comfortably move around, occasionally to your balcony with you, or primarily to public spaces, IMO they will enjoy the views so much more.

11 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

How mobile is your mother and friend?  We had a balcony on our AK cruise but never used it. We spent all our waking hours on upper decks or promenade deck, or public rooms with huge windows. All of those were so far superior to the view from our balcony.  If the ladies can comfortably move around, occasionally to your balcony with you, or primarily to public spaces, IMO they will enjoy the views so much more.

Maybe, but you have to be dressed to use them, and stay for a while. With your own balcony, you can wander out when you see something particularly interesting, and first thing in the morning before you are dressed, and so on. 

The first time we took my parents to Alaska, we had side by side balconies. I'll never forget wandering out there very early, swathed in my robe, to find my Dad already on his balcony, too. We watched together as the ship overtook a pod of orcas in the dawn light. They swam alongside us, the only sound their puffing breaths in the stillness. Dad had wanted to visit Alaska for as long as I could remember and in that moment, I felt we'd seen the true wild heart of the place.

It will stay with me forever.

By all means, book the balcony.

Edited by Aquadesiac
mispelling
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I've heard that a big benefit of an inside cabin is that you get no sunlight so that you have no idea that the sun has risen.  So then you can sleep and sleep and sleep as though morning has never broken.  Very good for those who board a ship to catch up on their sleep and rejuvenate.  

• Like 2