Celebrity: Consistently Inconsistent… and Potentially Making a Problem Worse

MamaFej

Celebrity: 

IMG_2599.thumb.jpeg.d6e02415ca7a1a0378070790196673ce.jpeg

Also Celebrity:IMG_2597.thumb.jpeg.1515ccbbd585afe08ab06227b596900f.jpeg

I’ve been onboard the Eclipse, sailing out of Sydney, for 5 of the last 7 cruises. Chair hogging has been a problem on all but the 5 day Tasmania cruise. It was particularly bad on the 28 February Great Barrier Reef cruise. It’s a major problem on this Sydney to Honolulu cruise. 

I’m well aware that chair hogging has been an issue for a long time: probably as long as there have been cruises. 

I just think that Celebrity selling a product onboard, labeling chair hogs as VIPs is not particularly helpful. 

To be clear: I have no problem with towel clips on a chair that’s actually being used. My issue is with Celebrity saying “Don’t reserve chairs” while selling an item to label a chair as reserved; for a VIP, no less.” 

Edited by MamaFej
Clarification
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Clearly Celebrity’s Rule department is not coordinating with their Merchandizing department. I wonder if all the departments ever sit down together in the same meeting and discuss whatever needs discussing. I think we know the answer to that 😊

• Like 5

I certainly agree that if a chair is not occupied after 45 minutes(maybe getting lunch) then the items should be removed by a staff person so another passenger can enjoy the chair.  I never sit by the pool so my comment is based on what I consider common courtesy.

• Like 2

You make a good point, @MamaFej. Maybe Celebrity would say that the clips are used for people that follow the 30 min rule--kinda like those gambling ads that have the "Have a Gambling Problem?" PSA mentioned at the end. 

Of course, it would be even worse if the towel clips had the Cruise Critic logo on it!

Edited by mahdnc

I'm pretty sure the third party vendor who runs the duty free on board and contracts for Celebrity licensed products just went with an existing towel clip, slapped it into Celebrity packaging, and offered it for sale. I suppose it would be nice to believe the operations side of Celebrity talked to the folks contracting for retail, but the clips are probably just part of a broad set of pre-approved licensed items. They had a source that already had the "VIP" and "Reserved" clips and it saved money...

I have seen those same towel clips for sale on multiple cruise lines and at retail outlets.  They are not produced for Celebrity exclusively.  The packing is typical "private" label mass production.  The staff in the shops just stock the shelves with the merchandise provided and are employed by a 3rd party vendor, not Celebrity.  They most likely pay ZERO attention to most of the product they stock and are even less likely to know the pool rules and/or correlate the two disparate things.

• Thanks 1

Maybe Cruise Critic should market towel clips with a 30 minute beeping ("remove me!") alarm built into it.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Celebrity: 

I’ve been onboard the Eclipse, sailing out of Sydney, for 5 of the last 7 cruises. Chair hogging has been a problem on all but the 5 day Tasmania cruise. It was particularly bad on the 28 February Great Barrier Reef cruise. It’s a major problem on this Sydney to Honolulu cruise. 

I’m well aware that chair hogging has been an issue for a long time: probably as long as there have been cruises. 

I just think that Celebrity selling a product onboard, labeling chair hogs as VIPs is not particularly helpful. 

To be clear: I have no problem with towel clips on a chair that’s actually being used. My issue is with Celebrity saying “Don’t reserve chairs” while selling an item to label a chair as reserved; for a VIP, no less.” 

I've noticed them selling these too and always get PO'ed.  They are prime tools for chair hogs.

13 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Maybe Cruise Critic should market towel clips with a 30 minute beeping ("remove me!") alarm built into it.

I like the idea.  However, the concept I have below is foolproof for chair hogs.  I'll start selling these on my site: chairhoggers.com

image.png.f4029ad67ec0ba886469dff7f1ebc58e.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In a funny way this reminds me of something I saw shortly after 9-11. Going through the airport, my fingernail clippers were confiscated. On the other side of security, I bought new fingernail clippers at the gift shop🥴

• Like 3

I stand there and wait 30 minutes and then I have the stuff removed and take the chair. It's rude and selfish to think that if you got there first the chair is yours regardless of time. There are so few chairs that people should be more considerate. 

One time, someone returned about 4 or 5 hours later and just stood there staring at me. I couldn't care less. I just continued to read my book. He left after a few minutes. 

• Like 3

On Solstice last month, there were many many more lounge chairs than I have ever seen before on a S class ship.  They were literally all over the place, including in front of the gym.  With so many chairs available, there seemed to be less chair hogging.  

I find the issue is not the total # of deck chairs, it’s that the chair hogs seem to feel entitled to commandeer the chairs that are in the highest use/demand areas while seldom actually utilizing them. If cruisers would only put their stuff on a chair when actively swimming or, god forbid, actually use them, the issue would be lessened.  I have always wished cruise lines had lockers/cubbies by the pool where I could put my pool bag and keep it safe and dry  w/o having to use a chair/lounger for said purpose.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Celebrity: 

I don’t see the issue myself…just be courteous to your fellow cruiser…these clips can’t change people’s behavior. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Celebrity: 

I don’t see the link, we have towel clips and think they are essential when we have a dip in the pool for example, doesn’t make us chair hoggers by any means.

2 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I've noticed them selling these too and always get PO'ed.  They are prime tools for chair hogs.

I like the idea.  However, the concept I have below is foolproof for chair hogs.  I'll start selling these on my site: chairhoggers.com

image.png.f4029ad67ec0ba886469dff7f1ebc58e.png

Those are like the "back in x minutes" signs put up on doors. Useless without the starting time on them.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

I don’t see the link, we have towel clips and think they are essential when we have a dip in the pool for example, doesn’t make us chair hoggers by any means.

The problem is on the one hand X is saying there is no reserving of deck chairs; but on the other they are selling towel clips that SAY "Reserved". Totally mixed messaging.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

The problem is on the one hand X is saying there is no reserving of deck chairs; but on the other they are selling towel clips that SAY "Reserved". Totally mixed messaging.

Get that but if people use those as consent to hog chairs says more about them than it does Celebrity.

17 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I saw this on my last cruise, a beach bag with a cable lock.  The chair hog locked their bag to the chair.  Hopefully they won't be sell this in the gift shop anytime soon.

image.png.fe628e313b7129dda2f300688384b997.png

I'm sure if you brought it to the attention of the staff, they wouldn't be too pleased with that person.  They might just grab the chair and bring it to the back so the person who did it would have to get a talking to before getting it back.  I would hope that's the case.  This is all assuming they locked it for the purposes of holding the chair longer than 30 minutes.

1 minute ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I'm sure if you brought it to the attention of the staff, they wouldn't be too pleased with that person.  They might just grab the chair and bring it to the back so the person who did it would have to get a talking to before getting it back.  I would hope that's the case.  This is all assuming they locked it for the purposes of holding the chair longer than 30 minutes.

No, I didn't tell anyone.  But now that you have me thinking, maybe I should have moved the chair and put a towel over the bag.

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

No, I didn't tell anyone.  But now that you have me thinking, maybe I should have moved the chair and put a towel over the bag.

Now THAT is some creative problem solving.  Imagine them going to guest services and having to explain.  "I locked my bag to my chair and came back an hour later and now it's gone."  "I'm sorry, you did what with your bag?"

4 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Did you read the post you quote replied to? It literally says that the clips are not the problem. They’re actually pretty nifty devices.

I do not think anyone has a problem with someone stepping away from a chair to take a dip, grab a drink or a snack, use the restroom, etc. The problem is people reserving chairs, which is against cruise line policy, while not using them and simultaneously keeping others from using them for long periods of time. 

Celebrity allowing a product to be sold on their ships to reserve chairs for self-appointed VIPs, in violation of their stated policy, is unhelpful for the actual chair hog situation. It has nothing to do with folks using chairs appropriately, as it seems you do. 

In fact, the onboard gift shop has other towel clips for sale. I didn’t include them in my post, as they do not directly contribute to the issue. 

IMG_2620.thumb.jpeg.9e2512c124c4ba16f0e88304a19605ae.jpeg

• Like 2