Why haven't daily gratuities gone down?

28 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Taste is a funny thing, but you will certainly find more repeat cruisers disappointed with the new food than those that feel it is equal to 18 months ago

18 months ago none of us were sailing, right? I dont know, i have only cruised 3 times since they reopened since covid. 

but if we are talking pre/post covid, i feel (just my opinion) the food still tastes the same. might be served differently, but the flavor is still the same to me. Again, JMHO. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I haven't cruised with the new menu, YET.  And, I'm not a big fan of the MDR, anyway.  But, looking at the new menu exhibits shown in CC, I can say that I'm not impressed with the limited options and the so-called" theme nights.  It has nothing to do with quality or taste, obviously.  There are only two things that I go to the MDR for when I do go: the French Onion Soup and the Shimp Cocktail.  Those two items aren't available on every menu, every night like they used to be.  I don't know if you can ask for them even if they are not on the menu.  But, I've read that they do not accept special/off-the-menu requests anymore.  So, I'd be greatly disappointed, regardless of the quality and/or taste.  

Maybe limiting Shrimp Cocktail to certain nights is mimicking words posted here that Carnival only has bacon every other day.

When "Chef's Nightly Selection" is Fried Chicken one night and Lasagna another, it's a pretty sure bet the next new menus will feature Meat Loaf and Tuna Noodle Casserole.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I haven't cruised with the new menu, YET.  And, I'm not a big fan of the MDR, anyway.  But, looking at the new menu exhibits shown in CC, I can say that I'm not impressed with the limited options and the so-called" theme nights.  It has nothing to do with quality or taste, obviously.  There are only two things that I go to the MDR for when I do go: the French Onion Soup and the Shimp Cocktail.  Those two items aren't available on every menu, every night like they used to be.  I don't know if you can ask for them even if they are not on the menu.  But, I've read that they do not accept special/off-the-menu requests anymore.  So, I'd be greatly disappointed, regardless of the quality and/or taste.  

i agree on this. I can eat french onion soup every night. but it isnt a deal breaker. but i am not everyone. 

I might feel differently once they limit bacon to every other day. 

I actually remember the bacon plate issue. Anyone else? 

4 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Maybe limiting Shrimp Cocktail to certain nights is mimicking words posted here that Carnival only has bacon every other day.

When "Chef's Nightly Selection" is Fried Chicken one night and Lasagna another, it's a pretty sure bet the next new menus will feature Meat Loaf and Tuna Noodle Casserole.  

OMG we agree on something....

but remember they didnt do this after Bacon Plate. 

Edited by Cru1s1ng2009
qergfvwef

2 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

OMG we agree on something....

Actually we probably agree on more things than you believe simply because you've missed the nuances in my posts.  Several times your remarks as you characterize me are off, but it just wasn't worth clarifying. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Actually we probably agree on more things than you believe simply because you've missed the nuances in my posts.  Several times your remarks as you characterize me are off, but it just wasn't worth clarifying. 

cuz i am a dumb peasant. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Boz575 said:

@Ret MP.  I know you usually sail at least Sky. CK still has classics nightly, including French Onion Soup. 

Ya, that's great.  Thanks.  And just to be clear and factual, not Sky, one more up.  I do Star about ~60%.  I don't brag about it, I'm just thankful that I can do it every now and then.  We usually go, at least one night to the MDR when we cruise in a Balcony Cabin.  My wife loves the Lobster in the MDR, so I give in on those nights.  I love the WJ for breakfast, regardless of our class, it's all about Bacon (and breakfast sausage links) without guilt.  LOL

2 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

what a funny response😉

it still doesnt change my question. And last time i checked, the food still tastes the same, it is the quantity that may be the issue? You tell me.... 

Not that it’s any of your business, but my maid and butler do all the shopping. 🤣🤣🤣. I have no issue with the quantity. The food doesn’t taste the same as before. They are using cheaper cuts of meat etc. If you haven’t cruised much since the restart then I guess you haven’t noticed it.

54 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

I have not a bone or anything else in my body that cares what Rustbucket Cruise Lines (has nothing to do with rust) is doing.  But, Meat Loaf is one of my all-time favorite meals, especially the way my mom made it with a few whole hard-boiled eggs in the middle.  The slices looked like they were looking bakatchya.  Oh, I love Lasagna, too.  But, to your point, It is my opinion that the new MDR menus that are so-called themes are a disgrace to themes.  Having said that, I'm still loyal to Royal.  What we're looking for, they provide, mostly.  BTW, your premise doesn't escape me.  BTW, I'm holding out for Encrusted Spam with S car go.  

5 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

18 months ago none of us were sailing, right? I dont know, i have only cruised 3 times since they reopened since covid. 

but if we are talking pre/post covid, i feel (just my opinion) the food still tastes the same. might be served differently, but the flavor is still the same to me. Again, JMHO. 

I don't think people are talking pre/post covid, more since the beginning of this year when they moved to the new menus, plus no deviation from said menus or getting two appetizers at the same time.

Plus the once a day cleaning is a fairly new thing with the room attendants expected to clean more rooms

On top of this recently the gratuities have gone up. 

So not a pre/post covid thing, more a 2023 thing.

Having said that obviously the covid shutdown has had a big impact and they are trying different business models to try and repay their debt.  Maybe a change of direction because of the new CEO (ex CFO !).

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Ret MP said:

repeat. sorry.

Edited by Cru1s1ng2009
d

7 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

Are you?  I don't know you or haven't gleaned that from your posts

sorry. i was hammered last night. i got some moonshine at a festival and was sipping on it. dont drink and argue on CC!😂

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

??

long before COVID and for only about 6 months, they stationed someone at the bacon tray in the WJ and they would put 2-3 strips of bacon on your plate so you would feel greedy to ask for more. 

I, or one of my friends or family would go up with an empty plate and tell them, this is my bacon plate and make them load it up. then we would all share at the table. No waste. 

Bacon Plate😅

Edited by Cru1s1ng2009
d
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

Yes, 18 months ago I was on Liberty of the Seas for Thanksgiving week. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Taste is a funny thing, but you will certainly find more repeat cruisers disappointed with the new food than those that feel it is equal to 18 months ago

10 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

We boarded our first cruise after the shutdown In early August 2021, so we were cruising 18 months ago, and everything was as good as pre Covid…food, service, quality, etc.

Since January of this year, after the new menus, there has been a definite difference in the quality and preparation of the food. We cruised a NYE cruise on Jewel and everything was great, as usual. Our 10 day cruise in Feb was the worst food we’ve ever had on any ship ever.  Not only was there certain meats that were more expensive that they eliminated (for whatever their reason) but they even cut the vegan choices to only 1 per night, with no vegetarian choice. Many nights the food was over cooked and cold, not even warm.  We left the MDR a couple of nights and went up to the WJ to eat and we’ve never done that ever. Not every ship will have good service or good food, or good service.

What has happened in not just cruising, is that travel, entertainment, restaurants, etc have gone up in price, some faster than others and quality and service has not. 
Our only choice is accept the changes and enjoy it for what it is……or don’t cruise. There’s many kinds of vacations.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

"Tuna  flavored Casserole" to be exact.

🤢

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We boarded our first cruise after the shutdown In early August 2021, so we were cruising 18 months ago, and everything was as good as pre Covid…food, service, quality, etc.

Since January of this year, after the new menus, there has been a definite difference in the quality and preparation of the food. We cruised a NYE cruise on Jewel and everything was great, as usual. Our 10 day cruise in Feb was the worst food we’ve ever had on any ship ever.  Not only was there certain meats that were more expensive that they eliminated (for whatever their reason) but they even cut the vegan choices to only 1 per night, with no vegetarian choice. Many nights the food was over cooked and cold, not even warm.  We left the MDR a couple of nights and went up to the WJ to eat and we’ve never done that ever. Not every ship will have good service or good food, or good service.

What has happened in not just cruising, is that travel, entertainment, restaurants, etc have gone up in price, some faster than others and quality and service has not. 
Our only choice is accept the changes and enjoy it for what it is……or don’t cruise. There’s many kinds of vacations.

Yeah i last sailed on NYE and it was wonderful. I go again this week. I really hope it is still good. 

Edited by Cru1s1ng2009
rf2rf
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

18 months ago, we definitely were sailing.  We were on HOTS in early Nov 2021 and  cruises had started before that by several months.  We've done 8 cruises since restart and food isn't the same, even before the new menus.  It's less about "taste" and more about quality slipping, but as we were told suppliers (particularly in FL) who mainly provided product for the cruise lines went out of business during Covid due to lack of business.   But, also, the main reason, is just like your cost for groceries have gone up, so have theirs.  

As is the norm, this has gone off topic a bit.  

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BND said:

18 months ago, we definitely were sailing.  We were on HOTS in early Nov 2021 and  cruises had started before that by several months.  We've done 8 cruises since restart and food isn't the same, even before the new menus.  It's less about "taste" and more about quality slipping, but as we were told suppliers (particularly in FL) who mainly provided product for the cruise lines went out of business during Covid due to lack of business. 

As is the norm, this has gone off topic a bit.  

we can only beat that dead horse for so long, LOL! 

Surprisingly, no one has mentioned the room and board aspect the crew get as part of their contract. While they are certainly in cramped quarters and the food is different and probably of lower quality than what the passengers get, there is some value to the complimentary room and board. Fast food workers on land do not receive free room and board. Maybe this is an added incentive for workers from lesser developed countries, as they would receive more in wages that they could send home to their families than what they get earn in their home countries? Just a thought. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1