Clothes and shoes for Iceland/Greenland cruise?

I will be cruising on an intensive cruise to Iceland and Greenland in August, with a couple of days in Iceland beforehand. Most of my recent travel has involved pounding the pavement in cities or at most doing some light walking of archaeological sites. 

I suspect (but am not certain) that some of the things I will be doing in Iceland -- and particularly in Greenland -- might require slightly more rugged shoes. I tossed out my old hiking sneakers (don't have boots and don't like them) before my move, so I am thinking of getting some waterproof ones for this trip, as I've also heard the weather can be very changeable and showery. Any thoughts from those who've been there/done this?

Also, I plan to bring layers for sure but instead of my normal rain shell I am wondering whether it would be smarter to take a soft-shell type jacket, one with more insulation?  Or just layer under my shell like I normally would. I tend to do well in cooler temps on land, but I am a bit concerned about days at sea (and cruising the Prince William Sound off Greenland) where it will be quite windy and chilly.

For reference, average temperatures in Reykjavik in August are highs of 56 and lows of 47 degrees F. In Nuuk (Greenland) it's 50 and 39. 

Finally, can anyone weigh in on mosquito netting?  Some say it's needed, others not so much. (In August there aren't so many mosquitoes but there are small black flies.) If you have a recommendation, let me know. Normally I am not a hat person, so I am trying to figure out what might work for me.

Cynthia - start trying on some waterproof trail runners.  You’d be able to use them all the time at home, too.  There are lots of options out there now.  What works for me usually doesn’t work for you, I know.  My runners are the Merrell Speed Goretex.  I know Brooks has some waterproof runners, too.  Hoka has some as well.  Next step up would be low trail shoes, like the Merrell Moab series.  

Rain jacket vs soft shell:  I went through this and decided to go with the jacket.  You can have both waterproof and wind proof with it.   I’d do better layer underneath it.  More useable at home.  Last week, when it was in the 40s, I had one of my performance long sleeve Ts, my vest and my Patagonia Down Sweater and I was a happy camper.  I could add my Torrentshell rain jacket over top for an extra layer if needed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were there last August.  Evidently last year was a lot colder and wetter than normal and there were no bothersome insects at Lake Mytvan.

The wind sometimes come sideways, so you might want a rainproof jacket/shell with a hood rather than a hat and/or umbrella. 

I debated with whether or not to bring rain pants but decided to bring silk long johns and technical/hiking pants instead,  The pants dried quickly and silk keeps you warm and dry.  And they aren't hot like wool when the weather is in the middle.  But I didn't go on any of the on-water excursions where that combo may not have been warm enough.

I brought gore-tex hiking shoes and was very glad I did.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

I love my Hoka Trail shoes. I also have the Merrill Moab. I’d also do the rain jacket with a layer under it. 

Which Hokas do you have?  Is it the Challenger -- I was looking at that one on line. I usually do well with Hoka....

• Like 1

We were in both places in late August/early September a few years ago, and while much of the weather was decent, on the days we got rain, as noted above, it rained sideways.  We did have waterproof rain pants and waterproof rain jackets with hoods, and one day in Iceland we were really happy that we did.   We also both had waterproof tennis shoes - not hiking boot style, just regular trail-type tennis shoes, but waterproof.  These were perfect for everywhere we were, and held up just fine even on the heavy rain days.  And we were out and about quite a bit, not just sitting in a van or on a tour bus, so all the gear got 'tested'.   It was on the cool side, as well, and we layered with silk underwear on the bottom, and the normal base layer, next layer, warmer layer if needed, waterproof jacket.  All of this is easily removed/added back as the weather changes throughout the day, which in our experience, it generally did.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@aungrl -- thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad to hear that waterproof sneakers worked well for you. (And waterproof everything else!)

It's not likely to be a trip that I repeat, so I don't want to miss any of it and don't want to be miserable (cold, wet). Glad I have several months to work out what I need and find/buy it.  I used to have rain pants from LL Bean -- even though I never wore them much the layers got flaky and the elastic wasn't tight. Since then I've mainly relied on sport/tek type pants that dry quickly, as someone else mentioned.

And yes, I love silk underwear, always been one of my "must take" items. Anything warmer than silk tends to be too warm for me, and I think that would be true of these places in August. 

• Like 1

In total agreement on the 'anything other than silk' for a base layer.   I was really happy that we were prepared for all the inclement weather; like you noted, I wasn't sure if we'd ever get that way again, and wanted to do everything without being limited by poor clothing choices.   One other thing I thought of that's worth noting...we made every port on this particular cruise, including three in Greenland, so we were very lucky.  The weather we encountered was after we had docked and gotten ashore and were off on whatever that day's adventure was.  This meant that on 2-3 of the days, I had the rain gear packed into a backpack and the warmer layer tied around my waist, and ended up putting it on later in the day as needed/as the weather deteriorated.  And to your question about cruising through the Sound, we went through Prince Christian Sound, and it was stunningly beautiful.  But it was SO. COLD. out on deck taking pictures.  My husband braved the cold and wind and got some spectacular shots, but I couldn't be out there for more than a couple of minutes.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aungrl said:

And to your question about cruising through the Sound, we went through Prince Christian Sound, and it was stunningly beautiful.  But it was SO. COLD. out on deck taking pictures.

I suspected as much. Got to figure out how to bear that as it will only be me taking pictures, lol.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Rain jacket vs soft shell:  I went through this and decided to go with the jacket.  You can have both waterproof and wind proof with it.   I’d do better layer underneath it.  More useable at home.  Last week, when it was in the 40s, I had one of my performance long sleeve Ts, my vest and my Patagonia Down Sweater and I was a happy camper.  I could add my Torrentshell rain jacket over top for an extra layer if needed.  

I am still thinking on this. Remember, I don't have a lot of these cooler weather layers already like you do. Where I am it's usually sufficient to slip on a mid-weight jacket over whatever I'm already wearing anytime I need to go out, lol.  

I am not a big fan of vests in general and don't have any. Don't have a down sweater either, or any kind of packable down (or synthetic equivalent). Clearly I've got some thinking to do...

Any thoughts on the bare minimum of these items I could get by with? Can I just layer a fleece under the shell like I do currently when traveling in chilly weather? Is down really needed?

Other than the shoes (which I agree with you on), I suspect they're not things I'll regularly wear after the trip. Is REI Outlet a good place to look for basic items?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am still thinking on this. Remember, I don't have a lot of these cooler weather layers already like you do. Where I am it's usually sufficient to slip on a mid-weight jacket over whatever I'm already wearing anytime I need to go out, lol.  

I am not a big fan of vests in general and don't have any. Don't have a down sweater either, or any kind of packable down (or synthetic equivalent). Clearly I've got some thinking to do...

Any thoughts on the bare minimum of these items I could get by with? Can I just layer a fleece under the shell like I do currently when traveling in chilly weather? Is down really needed?

Other than the shoes (which I agree with you on), I suspect they're not things I'll regularly wear after the trip. Is REI Outlet a good place to look for basic items?

Down isn’t needed.  I like it because it is light, packs small.  I went back and forth between the Patagonia down and alternative.  Since I wear it year round it was an easy buy for me.  I have a lot of fleece (it seems to be the prime gift option for hotel management holiday gifts) but I never think of packing it for a vacation.  You could do what you do for chilly/cold weather.  I would think of a good rain shell that can be a third layer would be good.  We all can always use a good rain shell!   I like vests as a layer because I don’t like a lot of bulk on my arms but want to keep my core warm.  

p.s. the Patagonia down sweater is really a nice weight full zip jacket.  Have no idea why they call it a sweater.  The REI outlet and backcountry.com outlet are good places to look.   Patagonia also has a “recycle” area on their site with gently used things.  I always look at the outlet pages before buying full price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Down isn’t needed.  I like it because it is light, packs small.  I went back and forth between the Patagonia down and alternative.  Since I wear it year round it was an easy buy for me.  I have a lot of fleece (it seems to be the prime gift option for hotel management holiday gifts) but I never think of packing it for a vacation.  You could do what you do for chilly/cold weather.  I would think of a good rain shell that can be a third layer would be good.  We all can always use a good rain shell!   I like vests as a layer because I don’t like a lot of bulk on my arms but want to keep my core warm.  

p.s. the Patagonia down sweater is really a nice weight full zip jacket.  Have no idea why they call it a sweater.  The REI outlet and backcountry.com outlet are good places to look.   Patagonia also has a “recycle” area on their site with gently used things.  I always look at the outlet pages before buying full price.

Thanks, really appreciate your insights and thoughts. I'm trying to get the balance right between having the necessary items and not getting too much stuff that won't be used afterwards.....although your post made me also think about the possibility of reselling/recycling items after my trip. 🤔

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Nothing I took was down, and I didn't need it.  The key was in having enough light layers to layer on as needed without being constricting.  The waterproof rain jacket I got from Bean's and I wear it all the time.  It's lightly insulated, and really warm, even though it's lightweight.  If I can find the link I'll post it - they still sold it as of last season.  I know this because i like it so much that I bought a second one just to have on hand if this one wears out.  It's my only winter coat when I'm in our home in coastal Georgia, and it's often warm enough - without being too warm - when I'm farther north in the DC area.  So, really versatile, and something like that might end up being something you could use more than just on the trip.  Ditto the silk or some type of performance fabric base layer.  And then my next layer was just a cotton turtleneck, and for the really cold days, that third layer - over the turtleneck and under the rain jacket, or as the top layer if the rain jacket wasn't needed - was a lightweight cashmere sweater.  So also possibly things you would get more use out of.  Down is lightweight and really packable, but I don't have much use for it under normal conditions, and my one down coat isn't waterproof, so it didn't make the 'final consideration' cut.  

I like REI outlet, but all of the stuff I took is available at regular stores, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks, really appreciate your insights and thoughts. I'm trying to get the balance right between having the necessary items and not getting too much stuff that won't be used afterwards.....although your post made me also think about the possibility of reselling/recycling items after my trip. 🤔

Found it, and they still sell it.  Mine is blue.  It's possibly the favorite item of outerwear I've ever purchased.  https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/119874?page=womens-waterproof-primaloft-packaway-jacket-misses-petite&bc=516567&feat=516567-GN0&csp=f&attrValue_0=Dark Marine Blue&pos=42

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aungrl said:

Found it, and they still sell it.  Mine is blue.  It's possibly the favorite item of outerwear I've ever purchased.  https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/119874?page=womens-waterproof-primaloft-packaway-jacket-misses-petite&bc=516567&feat=516567-GN0&csp=f&attrValue_0=Dark Marine Blue&pos=42

Thanks!  I do like LL Bean. That's where my very lightweight current rain jacket is from. I'm on my third one (over at least 20 years...).  Wore out one and lost one.  I also like their pointelle silk long underwear; it's not too heavy.

I live just outside Atlanta so I suspect our climates are similar. Lots of rainy weather in colder months is another reason I tend to avoid down.

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks!  I do like LL Bean. That's where my very lightweight current rain jacket is from. I'm on my third one (over at least 20 years...).  Wore out one and lost one.  I also like their pointelle silk long underwear; it's not too heavy.

I live just outside Atlanta so I suspect our climates are similar. Lots of rainy weather in colder months is another reason I tend to avoid down.

Yes, exactly...it's not really useful when it's soaking wet.  Tybee Island.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Cynthia-that’s why I have rain shell.  Goes over the Patagonia to stay warm and dry.  The Patagonia isn’t a puffy like people think of when they think down jacket.  

I have this puffy jacket:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QL3TWWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

But it is not bulky and easily goes under a shell.  At home I wear it all the way up to when the weather is in the 40s, so you might find it useful in the winter.  But it I don't wear it alone when it is raining.  The nice thing is that it packs down so small - when stuffed into its little bag it is around 8" tall and 5" diameter - that I could keep it in my daypack when out on an excursion and put it on only when needed.

I was on a 2 week land trip in Iceland the June before the pandemic. I bought and wore lightweight hiking shoes but honestly didn't need the hiking aspect for the many walks and hikes we did. The main advantage was since I wasn't crazy about them I didn't care that they got muddy. I didn't do any ambitious hikes but there were plenty of walks to waterfalls, puffins, and scenic spots.

I did bring a down vest and a fleece vest and wore them more than I ever have in rainy Oregon. My husband and sons had rainproof shells. We were there in June which was quite misty.

The best packing coup was bringing sleep masks for all 4 of us!

having lots of layers was the best.

curious if you would share which cruise you are going on?

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out the same we are cruising out of Boston and I'm determined to stay carry on only - so its a range of temperatures. 

A few years ago I did a land trip to W Sichuan, China - its Tibet without the travel restrictions - and its around 4000m most of it. The temperatures were around 10C max - minimums around 0C -  dry, often sunny, but the wind was bitter. I was backpacking and I don't have/need heavy clothes. At home I wear fleece in the winter but its too bulky to carry.

I went all Merino - my warmest set of clothes was 

- merino singlet 

- long sleeved merino baselayer 

- long sleeved merino jumper 

- down sleeveless vest 

-  merino leggings base layer 

- merino joggers 

- down jacket with a hood 

- windproof layer with a hood 

- hat/gloves/buff 

- woollen socks 

- light weight boots 

The thing was that when I needed all my clothes basically my pack was empty except for some extra t-shirts and underwear/socks.  And I wore that outfit for at least a week straight (and I mean straight - the Chinese don't do inside heating so basically I only took off the windproof and down jacket layers (and the jacket went  on my bed - I've been warmer camping. 

Merino is very odor -resistant - so the trick is you need layers - and you don't need that many clothes.  Frankly no one will see the inner most layers. And no one will expect to see more than one jacket.  

You loose a lot of heat from your head - and I live in a windy city. I don't own a umbrella, and a scarf is not much use either.  Look for lightweight merino hat and gloves and then a jacket with a hood which will go over all. I merino buff is also very useful  better than a scarf 

I will probably take pretty similar layers this time around - still not sure about the boots - they are a a pain to travel with as you need to wear them which is less than ideal. 

You can substitute silk or polyester for merino - but I don't find silk as warm, and polyester stinks after a day.  Never wear cotton  - its a disaster in terms of heat retention 

8 hours ago, irvington said:

curious if you would share which cruise you are going on?

It's Oceania; 17-day cruise from Iceland to Greenland to Canada ending in New York. I will spend a few days first in Reykjavik, so almost 3 weeks in total...

Good reminder about the sleep mask; I usually bring one for the airplane but hadn't thought about the "white nights" on the ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lissie said:

I'm trying to figure out the same we are cruising out of Boston and I'm determined to stay carry on only - so its a range of temperatures. 

A few years ago I did a land trip to W Sichuan, China - its Tibet without the travel restrictions - and its around 4000m most of it. The temperatures were around 10C max - minimums around 0C -  dry, often sunny, but the wind was bitter. I was backpacking and I don't have/need heavy clothes. At home I wear fleece in the winter but its too bulky to carry.

I went all Merino - my warmest set of clothes was 

- merino singlet 

- long sleeved merino baselayer 

- long sleeved merino jumper 

- down sleeveless vest 

-  merino leggings base layer 

- merino joggers 

- down jacket with a hood 

- windproof layer with a hood 

- hat/gloves/buff 

- woollen socks 

- light weight boots 

The thing was that when I needed all my clothes basically my pack was empty except for some extra t-shirts and underwear/socks.  And I wore that outfit for at least a week straight (and I mean straight - the Chinese don't do inside heating so basically I only took off the windproof and down jacket layers (and the jacket went  on my bed - I've been warmer camping. 

Merino is very odor -resistant - so the trick is you need layers - and you don't need that many clothes.  Frankly no one will see the inner most layers. And no one will expect to see more than one jacket.  

You loose a lot of heat from your head - and I live in a windy city. I don't own a umbrella, and a scarf is not much use either.  Look for lightweight merino hat and gloves and then a jacket with a hood which will go over all. I merino buff is also very useful  better than a scarf 

I will probably take pretty similar layers this time around - still not sure about the boots - they are a a pain to travel with as you need to wear them which is less than ideal. 

You can substitute silk or polyester for merino - but I don't find silk as warm, and polyester stinks after a day.  Never wear cotton  - its a disaster in terms of heat retention 

Your trip sounds just a bit chillier than what I anticipate (hopefully anyway) based on average temps. Except for the day cruising the Sound -- which I know will be very cold and windy -- I am more concerned about dealing with potential rain. 

The hat part will really challenge me. I hate wearing a hat more than just about anything. I have yet to find a hat I really like (ever!) and the first complete sentences I ever wrote in kindergarten were:  "I hate my hat. My hat is hot."  LOL.  I don't like them in summer OR winter, which is one reason I thought that a lightly insulated soft-shell type jacket with attached hood might work better for me than just a rain shell, as the shell hood is unlikely to have any insulation....

This trip will definitely challenge my usual way of dressing!!  

12 hours ago, dd57 said:

I could keep it in my daypack when out on an excursion and put it on only when needed.

This raises another question for me -- I don't usually carry a daypack. What kind of daypack should I be looking for?  I'm thinking one without any structure that will fold down to something quite minimal in my suitcase but I guess I also need to make sure it is waterproof.  

Ideas?