Clothes and shoes for Iceland/Greenland cruise?

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's Oceania; 17-day cruise from Iceland to Greenland to Canada ending in New York. I will spend a few days first in Reykjavik, so almost 3 weeks in total...

Good reminder about the sleep mask; I usually bring one for the airplane but hadn't thought about the "white nights" on the ship.

Thanks, I'm looking at a similar one for 2024.

1 hour ago, dd57 said:

I took this one to Iceland because it is waterproof (which I tested in a sink before I left) and is weightless and packs small.  It doesn't have any padding in the body, but I used my extra layers as padding until I needed them.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B3LDM4Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

That looks like a great option, thanks.

On 5/9/2023 at 10:21 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I am still thinking on this. Remember, I don't have a lot of these cooler weather layers already like you do. Where I am it's usually sufficient to slip on a mid-weight jacket over whatever I'm already wearing anytime I need to go out, lol.  

I am not a big fan of vests in general and don't have any. Don't have a down sweater either, or any kind of packable down (or synthetic equivalent). Clearly I've got some thinking to do...

Any thoughts on the bare minimum of these items I could get by with? Can I just layer a fleece under the shell like I do currently when traveling in chilly weather? Is down really needed?

Other than the shoes (which I agree with you on), I suspect they're not things I'll regularly wear after the trip. Is REI Outlet a good place to look for basic items?

For a spring/summer cruise a vest under a waterproof jacket (or a sweater or hoodie) would be perfect. My definite must have would be a beanie type hat or a warm ear band & gloves (must keep my ears warm)

Edited by awhfy

On 5/11/2023 at 2:14 AM, cruisemom42 said:

This raises another question for me -- I don't usually carry a daypack. What kind of daypack should I be looking for?  I'm thinking one without any structure that will fold down to something quite minimal in my suitcase but I guess I also need to make sure it is waterproof.  

Ideas?

Or use a dry bag or zip lock bag inside it - our $10 Amazon fold away pack is shower proof - but I have a dry bag for  anything that needs to stay dry which goes inside it. 

I keep  hat and gloves in my pockets - so its just an extra layer and a wet weather layer that goes in a day  bag normally - and a water bottle 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My advice on mosquito netting is that it’s inexpensive, takes up little space, and is worth its weight in gold if you need it even one day. I have the one liked below and was very grateful to have it on a July visit to Lake Myvatn in Iceland. Expecting that it could be handy in Greenland too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074QN7LFF?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Torfamm said:

My advice on mosquito netting is that it’s inexpensive, takes up little space, and is worth its weight in gold if you need it even one day. I have the one liked below and was very grateful to have it on a July visit to Lake Myvatn in Iceland. Expecting that it could be handy in Greenland too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074QN7LFF?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

That looks great. I notice they come in many colors. It seems like several of the reviewers thought black was the best option -- which color did you get and would you recommend?

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

That looks great. I notice they come in many colors. It seems like several of the reviewers thought black was the best option -- which color did you get and would you recommend?

I got the gray but I have no idea if another color would have been a better choice. If I remember I thought maybe the lighter color would be easier to see through than black when I picked it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 8:23 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I just bought this set of TEN in FIVE colors. I will appraise the mesh quality and the colors, and if all is fine, I will buy another set to parcel out to my northwoods family (home of punkies aka no-see'ems, blackflies, & mosquitos). The first ten being for the seven of us here in Utah (home of gnats & skeeters) and a few for guests. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BY2MHBV9/

ETA: we have cruises booked to Hawaii/Polynesia and to Iceland/Greenland as well!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1