Tampa Fog

peanut head

Hello all!  I just booked the Constellation R/T from Tampa the beginning of Feb. 2024.  For those of you who have used this port, have there been issues with fog?  I thought that I had read about it some time ago but cannot find the information.  The reason why I ask is that we are planning our flight out of the area and were wondering if we should just stay the day and leave Florida the next day or just plan for a very late flight out?  We usually try to fly out around 1-2pm on day of disembarkation but worry that may not be enough time if there is fog.  I haven't really read about this being an issue at other ports.  TIA!

Have embarked twice from Tampa (November and April) and both were free of fog.  Fog that does occur seems more prevalent in the morning and is then burned off by the heat.  Tampa is a nice city to explore but I wouldn't base the decision to do so on a chance of fog delaying your departure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sailed out of there once.  The arriving ship was held outside the bridge until 2:00pm or so, boarding started around five and was a mess.  Did have a nice visit to the Tampa Aquarium, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Back in 2005, we boarded Horizon which was sailing out of Tampa.  The fog rolled in and our 4pm departure was delayed and we did not sail out until 9am the following morning.  Grand Cayman got cut out of our itinerary as a result.  So, yes, there have been issues with fog.

This past Nov, we sailed into Tampa on Constellation with zero problems. We caught our same day flight without delay.  That's what I probably will do next time.  

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

We were delayed for several hours when our ship the Constellation arrived in Tampa. Our cruise was the end of Jan. of this year. We didn't arrive in port until mid afternoon. The people waiting to board were the most inconvenienced as they had to leave the port area as there was nowhere to wait. The same thing happened a few weeks before. I think it happens often in Tampa during this time of year. Our flight wasn't until 8 PM so it worked out fine for us. I would plan for a late flight or the next day. 

• Thanks 1

This past January our Christmas/New Years cruise was affected by fog and Constellation did not arrive  at the Tampa dock until 5pm-ish.  We were finally in our car by 6:30pm.  Many people onboard that had early flights out of Tampa were affected and stressed out while rebooking flights while we sat outside the Skyway bridge in the fog.  Apparantly this happens frequently during this time of year.  My .02 is to book a flight the next day or a 9pm flight if there is such a thing. Less stress to fly the next day if possible.  There's plenty of hotels near the port and near Tampa airport (maybe 20-25 minutes from the port) 

• Thanks 1

Have landed and disembarked from Tampa.  April and May.  No fog either time.

Worrying about possible fog next year?  Similar to worrying about FLL closing for 2 days after huge rain.  Impossible to predict.

If it truly bothers you then don't book out of Tampa.

I live in the Tampa Bay area.  The months we see fog is fairly consistently December through February.  Any departures outside of that time frame, you should be fine.  If you are sailing in one of those months, it's always good to have a backup plan.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Fedic said:

I live in the Tampa Bay area.  The months we see fog is fairly consistently December through February.  Any departures outside of that time frame, you should be fine.  If you are sailing in one of those months, it's always good to have a backup plan.

Good and useful information.  It's ironic that you are posting your answer on the exact day 43 years ago that the old Sunshine Skyway Bridge was infamously hit by a freighter during bad weather causing many fatalities. 

Tampa Bay Times article.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

Good and useful information.  It's ironic that you are posting your answer on the exact day 43 years ago that the old Sunshine Skyway Bridge was infamously hit by a freighter during bad weather causing many fatalities. 

Tampa Bay Times article.

And if we had built the replacement bridge a little higher, I might not have to drive to Port Canaveral to sail the newer ships.  🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fedic said:

Question, I have a cruise that gets in late Feb and I haven't booked a flight yet. There are two flights for me after 12pm, one is 2pm and one is like 6pm. So would you recommend the 6pm? I was looking at 2pm just because I have to drive from Detroit back to Canada after.

14 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Question, I have a cruise that gets in late Feb and I haven't booked a flight yet. There are two flights for me after 12pm, one is 2pm and one is like 6pm. So would you recommend the 6pm? I was looking at 2pm just because I have to drive from Detroit back to Canada after.

12 hours ago, Duanerice1 said:

If you have the option, which I think you said you did, stay the night and enjoy downtown Tampa.  Lot's to do.  Stress free and lot's of fun.  I haven't had an issue with fog but you never know. 

I guess it really depends on your risk tolerance.  Late February is at the end of the "fog season" and it's not like there is fog every day, so you could probably roll the dice on the 2PM flight and the chances are you'd be fine.

On the other hand, if there is fog, the port authority keeps the returning ships on the gulf side of the Sunshine Skyway, so even after the fog clears out (usually mid-morning), you have at least another 2 hrs before you arrive at the terminal.

To Duane's point, if you have the schedule flexibility, and don't want to have to worry about re-scheduling anything, flying out the next day is a much more stress-free option.

Was on the Constellation March of '22 and again March of '23.  Fog was not an issue coming or going.

We flew in and out of Tampa for these cruises, no problem.

Edited by Banjo

I live across the street from the Tampa Port and take cruises in and out of here all the time.  While it does happen, it doesn't happen as much.  It is very rare when the fog is so bad, there have been a couple of days this past year where it has occurred, but it is not like it happens all the time!

• Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 2:01 PM, Fedic said:

Listen to Fedic. Ir is important to follow advice from people who give relevant help.The season makes a difference. I sailed on April 17 this year our of Tampa with only a drizzle. Fog is more of a colder weather issue.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, med2cruise said:

I live across the street from the Tampa Port and take cruises in and out of here all the time.  While it does happen, it doesn't happen as much.  It is very rare when the fog is so bad, there have been a couple of days this past year where it has occurred, but it is not like it happens all the time!

So we can come over and stay if we get fogged in?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We have sailed out of Tampa twice, once late December, once early February. Our embarkation was affected both times. Once we spent the day at the airport and once at the local mall. The airport was actually a much better option. On our return in February fog was going to be an issue with getting into Port so the captain was able to get into Tampa early, by 9pm, and avoid the delay. I would consider this when planning flights at this time of year.

You can have a good idea if fog will be an issue for boarding  by checking the local weather (also works for debarking but a passenger may not have access to the local weather).

The fog that occurs during the "winter" months in Tampa usually happens  in December, January and February.

The Gulf of Mexico water temperature has cooled down during those months.  A front with warm and humid air  comes through  and combined with no wind, causes the moisture in the warm air to condense out to form fog at the cool water surface.

Conditions for fog formation: Cool water temperature, frontal passage with humid air warmer than the water temperature, no wind.

The same water/air conditions  will not cause fog if there is a strong enough breeze to disperse the fog.

I have cruised out of Tampa numerous times in January and have never had a fog delay.

1 minute ago, Homosassa said:

The fog that occurs during the "winter" months in Tampa usually happens  in December, January and February.

The fog then summers in the San Francisco Bay area.

image.thumb.jpeg.15519cb34eedf877de18cb84c8bec3ca.jpeg

14 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

The fog then summers in the San Francisco Bay area.

image.thumb.jpeg.15519cb34eedf877de18cb84c8bec3ca.jpeg

Also summers in many other US coastal communities.

I grew up on eastern Long Island, NY. Heavy fog was pretty much a given at night during the summer.