Carnival Venezia maiden voyage live

1 hour ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

On my way to try this new-to-Carnival free lunch spot, the arugula in the pic got me. I  don't want to hear what I have been hearing on post-pandemic cruises today... "I'm sorry sir, we are out of arugula" and I don't want any of that nasty liquid guacamole! 

Screenshot_20230530-074825_Carnival HUB.jpg

Hahahaha. I love arugula. Really love the taste a lot. I wouldnt eat guacamole out of a squeeze tube and I love good guacamole.  I'm the same way. 

6 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Details... please... I beg you! 

Not a restaurant (alas, my favorite Halifax restaurant didn't survive Covid), but you might enjoy Keith's brewery (www.keiths.ca). The brewery is 200 years old and does a fun tour with samples. And the beer is very good.

There are a number of restaurants along the waterfront - easy walk from the ship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

Not a restaurant (alas, my favorite Halifax restaurant didn't survive Covid), but you might enjoy Keith's brewery (www.keiths.ca). The brewery is 200 years old and does a fun tour with samples. And the beer is very good.

There are a number of restaurants along the waterfront - easy walk from the ship.

Halifax is where?  Canada? Thx!

Edited by ninjacat123
realized keiths web address had .ca :)

1 hour ago, nybumpkin said:

Pickford and Black is Great (Oysters on the half Shell [raw or baked] and are displayed with a little placard based on the location from which they were harvested., EXCELLENT Scallop dishes, etc) which is on the harbour side of the Historic Properties (about a 10 minute walk along the waterfront) from where you will dock in Halifax. We just had lunch there on the 15th when we were back in Halifax/Dartmouth for a week.

Salty's is right there too and has GREAT Seafood!!!!

Baton Rouge is a newer Restaurant in the Keith's Brewery (on Hollis Street just up from the waterfront).

Like @nybumpkin wrote there are a number of GREAT Restaurants along and just up from the Waterfront walk... 

The 'official' meal of Halifax is the Donair...it's like a Gyro but a sweet sauce is used instead of a Tzatziki Sauce. It's an East Coast Staple.

Everything You Need to Know About Halifax’s Official Food: The Donair - Discover Halifax (discoverhalifaxns.com)

The other Nova Scotia staple (besides seafood) is Pepperoni...most Pubs and Restaurants there will advertise 'deep-fried pepperoni' as an appetizer....and the most popular brand is Brother's Pepperoni...(although the Brothers had a falling-out and now there is Brothers and Two Boys brands - basically the same Recipe. We brought 40 lbs of pepperoni back with us 🙂

Home (brothersmeatsdeli.com) 

This was my must eat list, in no particular order,  while we were there:

1. Clams and Chips from John's Lunch (across the Harbour from Halifax in Dartmouth) - THE BEST!!!

2. Oysters - were GREAT at Pickford and Black. We picked the ones we wanted and they baked them up for us.

3. Digby Scallops - my FAVOURITE - had those at Pickford and Black on the waterfront and at Duncan's Pub in Amherst

4. Nova Scotia Lobster - My Sister and her husband bought 30 lbs of Lobster at the Wharf in East Jeddore, NS  when the Boats came in, steamed it above Ocean Water, cooled it off and then we shelled and dipped it in melted butter - SO GOOD!!!!

5. Fish and Chips - I really like the Haddock that is a choice, along with Cod, in Nova Scotia

6. Pepperoni - Had deep fried pepperoni as an appetizer twice in different Pubs + had some at my Niece's where we were staying and like I said we brought 40 lbs home on the Plane with us.

7. Donair - loaded 🙂 - we ordered from King of Donair

Edited by vanislandcruisers
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Il Viaggio was a disappointment. Long story short,  the mussels were LOUSY.  Like hold your nose so you can eat them lousy.  They tried to double charge me for the meal and took forever to sort things out. I prepaid using OBC. The octopus in the octopus salad was much better than the mussels in the stew, but such a letdown after the octopus I enjoyed in France. The soup was yummy, the cannoli was terrible. 

20230530_140143.jpg

20230530_140226.jpg

20230530_141510.jpg

20230530_143653.jpg

20230530_150215.jpg

20230530_144950.jpg

20230530_140137.jpg

20230530_140115.jpg

• Like 8

I am from Halifax and just wanted to recommend The Bicycle Thief. It is on the boardwalk on the waterfront very close to where the ship docks. It is a wonderful restaurant! https://bicyclethief.ca/

I have really enjoyed reading about your trip especially your time in Paris as I will be there in September for 5 days. Thanks.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Il Viaggio was a disappointment. Long story short,  the mussels were LOUSY.  Like hold your nose so you can eat them lousy.  They tried to double charge me for the meal and took forever to sort things out. I prepaid using OBC. The octopus in the octopus salad was much better than the mussels in the stew, but such a letdown after the octopus I enjoyed in France. The soup was yummy, the cannoli was terrible. 

20230530_140143.jpg

20230530_140226.jpg

20230530_141510.jpg

20230530_143653.jpg

20230530_150215.jpg

20230530_144950.jpg

20230530_140137.jpg

20230530_140115.jpg

Saint greg is also having issues with this italian place and food charges. He didnt see they added 18% tonight and added another 20% so 38% tip tonight. Read the slips closely. 

I saw other comments about double tips, after preparing the tip they wanted more tips. ..maybe you. I'm reading all the LIVE and trying to sort. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

@IntrepidFromDC what would your recommendation to eat/not eat in Il Viaggio be for someone who does not eat seafood, but would instead be going for the more basic Italian food aspect?

I think each person should look at the menu and decide for themselves based on what looks best. Since my appetizer,  soup and entree were all seafood I can't comment on their non-seafood dishes.

20230530_140143.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Malaga  is a pretty town,  helped by beautiful palm tree lined avenues and limited beautiful architecture.  I took the HOHO bus most of the way around the circuit, then hopped off at Centro Historico. The line for the HOHO outside the ship was insanely long, so I walked to the Lighthouse stop, about 10 minutes,  and boarded there with no line. Malaga's charming old town is tiny but worth a half day. They have a few Roman ruins and a beautiful cathedral (couldn't get inside). After walking old town thoroughly I used the HOHO map to find a stop and only waited 2 minutes for the next bus back to the ship. Both beaches looked rocky from a distance. 

20230531_055119.jpg

20230531_063706.jpg

20230531_063659.jpg

20230531_061727.jpg

20230531_053850.jpg

20230531_063717.jpg

20230531_052737.jpg

20230531_053337.jpg

20230531_061627.jpg

20230531_063200.jpg

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Like 14