🛳️ Live (hopefully) from Crown Princess May 12 - 23

Coral

Coral - I may have missed it earlier in your postings.  What shuttle did you use to get from I assume Vancouver Airport to your hotel in Whistler?  And did you use the same shuttle from Whistler back to downtown Vancouver and did they drop you at your hotel?  If I can ask, what was the cost and was it in US or Canadian dollars?  Thank you in advance.

18 minutes ago, TM said:

Coral - I may have missed it earlier in your postings.  What shuttle did you use to get from I assume Vancouver Airport to your hotel in Whistler?  And did you use the same shuttle from Whistler back to downtown Vancouver and did they drop you at your hotel?  If I can ask, what was the cost and was it in US or Canadian dollars?  Thank you in advance.

I used Whistler Connection and it was $79 Canadian each way per person. They took me from YVR airport to my hotel (Pan Pacific Village Center) and then from Pan Pacific Village Center to Pan Pacific Vancouver.

I had the hotel arrange this in Whistler. Previously I used a different company that I arranged. I think there are multiple companies. I didn't price shop on shuttles this time.

They service all the hotels in Whistler and also in DT Vancouver. They had a large van. They also run buses based on how many individuals.

Last time they stopped at Shannon Falls as I had a Service dog with me and they thought the dog would need a walk. This time, I asked to stop for 10 minutes and they did.

It was probably 2.5 hours going up and less than 2 hours coming back (shorter not going to the airport). It is a beautiful drive. It is called Sea to Sky highway or something like that. Stunning drive.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 4

Here is a picture of Princess Rachel Moreno from Sitka who spoke earlier. She is known for many wonderful things - one is that she carves the smallest totem poles. I think it takes 2 hours to carve and 1 hour to paint (someone else told me this). Truly a beautiful person.

image.thumb.jpeg.6949f5875f99c065130b87cd9cf29ee5.jpeg

IMG_2094.jpeg

IMG_2095.jpeg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, JustVinney said:

I have an unusual request should you be in the shops on board. If you notice fountain pens in any of the shops, I would love to know. I'll be getting on the crown just after you disembark, and that's the one item I am hoping for as a souvenir for my whole trip. I fear the onboard shops won't have any - and it's not terribly likely in Alaska - so I may have to look around on my one day in Vancouver before cruising. 
I know it's an odd one - but if you happen to notice I'd appreciate it. 

I asked the shop people - I don't think they understood "fountain" part. They did show me the pens they have for sale - I hope this helps:

image.thumb.jpeg.292702a42477f1f1c13046fa48f5e5e2.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Here is a picture of Princess Rachel Moreno from Sitka who spoke earlier. She is known for many wonderful things - one is that she carves the smallest totem poles. I think it takes 2 hours to carve and 1 hour to paint (someone else told me this). Truly a beautiful person.

image.thumb.jpeg.6949f5875f99c065130b87cd9cf29ee5.jpeg

IMG_2094.jpeg

IMG_2095.jpeg

We have so enjoyed the many guest lecturers, nature commentators, and locals who are guests on Princess ships.  Princess really does that well.

• Like 3

First - sorry for any typos. I go to post and then the internet cuts away. So then I quickly type again. I should type in Word first. Oh well. 

I am not a buffet person but this is the bomb! It was served in the afternoon today and I was told this was the 2nd voyage it was served on and is new. It is a waffle/ice cream bar. Someone is making fresh waffles so they are hot and warm, add ice cream and any cool toppings one wants! I had fresh strawberries, bananas, Nutella, strawberry sauce, chocolate syrup and whipped cream with some ice cream on top!

This is better than any Plus dessert that they offer IMO. Must say I haven't tried the Plus dessert and probably won't.

IMG_2112.thumb.jpeg.75a70cb7158be373c930361a18a6fdec.jpegIMG_2111.thumb.jpeg.266e10c577083d2c7deff041a5188399.jpegIMG_2110.thumb.jpeg.9803e4cdf01613e52bbf84660b6cd664.jpegIMG_2109.thumb.jpeg.70a167403b25b9ee4fd1085ce544554a.jpegIMG_2108.thumb.jpeg.86561ce101bd12fa1c0650608924e08b.jpeg

Edited by Coral
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I have a dear friend who planned to join me on this trip and had to cancel. He thought I needed a friend to sail along with me. 🙂 

image.thumb.jpeg.576835337d41fd3c1a8b2c38b5ef94ae.jpeg

I forgot - thank you!!!!! 🙂 

1 hour ago, TM said:

I forgot to add both times I have been to Whistler - it was off season (this May) and previously September. I loved it both times. I have heard they have more summer visitors than winter as there is so much to do (lakes, hiking, golf, dining, skate parks, biking, gondolas, etc...). I would love to visit in the summer and winter. Though - September was gorgeous! https://www.whistler.com/

• Like 2

Tonight is formal night and I will be skipping the dining room. I had reservations every night at the same time when I was traveling with a friend. I ended up cancelling them and decided to try "dine my way" and see how things would go with out a reservation and to wing it time was. Long story short - probably not the best decision if you want a private table. One would think that during (and now after COVID) that Princess would put more private tables out. The wait for lunch today was long for a private table. The wait last night was also long for a private table (even though there were empty tables around which are probably for those with reservations later). While most on the ship seem healthy - there are definitely people who are coughing quite a bit. Hoping our ship stays a healthy ship. I don't feel like dressing up tonight - here are the menus for the dining room:

image.thumb.jpeg.11e00ca7cc0a789b04905fa1e18c3b59.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b30cdcce5eb0c1b823d0349aa83da4cb.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Coral said:

Tonight is formal night and I will be skipping the dining room. I had reservations every night at the same time when I was traveling with a friend. I ended up cancelling them and decided to try "dine my way" and see how things would go with out a reservation and to wing it time was. Long story short - probably not the best decision if you want a private table. One would think that during (and now after COVID) that Princess would put more private tables out. The wait for lunch today was long for a private table. The wait last night was also long for a private table (even though there were empty tables around which are probably for those with reservations later). While most on the ship seem healthy - there are definitely people who are coughing quite a bit. Hoping our ship stays a healthy ship. I don't feel like dressing up tonight - here are the menus for the dining room:

image.thumb.jpeg.11e00ca7cc0a789b04905fa1e18c3b59.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b30cdcce5eb0c1b823d0349aa83da4cb.jpeg

Coughing is really not a sign Covid. I have had covid 2times in the last 9 months and never coughed once. Allergies are going crazy in the PMW. Just make sure to test if you have any fever that has been the only symptom I have had at all

• Like 1

1 minute ago, memoak said:

Coughing is really not a sign Covid. I have had covid 2times in the last 9 months and never coughed once. Allergies are going crazy in the PMW. Just make sure to test if you have any fever that has been the only symptom I have had at all

I know coughing can mean several things. I have several coworkers who tested positive in the last month. They had a cough, fever and sore throat. 

I can tell you that my last cruise had a ton of covid and going to the shows consisted of coughing all over. 

So far, I have avoided covid and my goal is to not get it at the beginning of the cruise as I have some pretty cool excursions planned. I also have allergies.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I asked the shop people - I don't think they understood "fountain" part. They did show me the pens they have for sale - I hope this helps:

image.thumb.jpeg.292702a42477f1f1c13046fa48f5e5e2.jpeg

Thank you so much for your efforts. I did not expect you to take the time to talk to the staff, gather what they had and take a snapshot to post - I appreciate it very much! I'm very happy to know what they have a plan accordingly. 

Loving all your posts so far - thanks for sharing your trip with us!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

@Coral, did you get your power strip back?

No. I called. They were going to check and call me back in 30 minutes. 4 hours later, no message.

Tomorrow Sitka! My first time. No tours scheduled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, memoak said:

Just a quick search and coughing is the most common symptom. Obviously it can be other things as well.

Let’s get back to talking about cruising.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 5

Coral, I just found this thread and I’ll certainly be following. I think you were on the Emerald Princess TA that we took last November. We are thinking of the Crown Alaska as the itinerary is a little different if we need a getaway late summer.

Your pictures of Whistler were great! That is also one of our favorite getaways, and usually spring or early fall. Did you happen to go to Purebread? Amazing treats in there! Whistler is very expensive but of course it is a resort town, so priced accordingly. The Fairmont and the Four Seasons are both great if you can get a good price. We also really like the Westin up there. Great location.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by sunviking90

20 minutes ago, Coral said:

No. I called. They were going to check and call me back in 30 minutes. 4 hours later, no message.

Tomorrow Sitka! My first time. No tours scheduled.

Enjoy Sitka. We haven’t been in a few years, but it is one of our favourites. Very down to earth and real (ie, not taken over by jewellery shops). The raptor centre is great and there’s also a nice hike if I remember.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Coral, I just found this thread and I’ll certainly be following. I think you were on the Emerald Princess TA that we took last November. We are thinking of the Crown Alaska as the itinerary is a little different if we need a getaway late summer.

Your pictures of Whistler were great! That is also one of our favorite getaways, and usually spring or early fall. Did you happen to go to Purebread? Amazing treats in there! Whistler is very expensive but of course it is a resort town, so priced accordingly. The Fairmont and the Four Seasons are both great if you can get a good price. We also really like the Westin up there. Great location.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yes - I was on that TA cruise 🙂 

Crown Princess - yes, it is a great itinerary. This is the 11 night one. I have to say the crew onboard are very friendly and the ship is in fine shape. 

I did not go to Purebred but I think I should have! So many nice restaurants and places to eat and get treats. Wish I lived closer. The Fairmont was fully booked and the Four Seasons was too expensive when I booked (even off season). There seemed to be a lot of conventions in town. I was happy with my hotel but would definitely like to try others. I did walk in several hotels and was impressed with many. Honestly - if one is in upper or lower village, most of the hotels are in a great location. It would be great to have a car to drive around the area. Maybe when I retire!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Enjoy Sitka. We haven’t been in a few years, but it is one of our favourites. Very down to earth and real (ie, not taken over by jewellery shops). The raptor centre is great and there’s also a nice hike if I remember.

Those are both on my plan! And maybe the Fortress of the Bear.

• Like 2

Thank you @Coral for this informative report. Any advice or tips you find about how to navigate dining as a single would be appreciated. Perhaps you will find one specific dining room or manager who can help you do this. I will be replicating your current cruise in Alaska on Crown in August.

TIA-looking forward to reading more about your adventures.