Tomorrow isn' t promised - book the trip!

nhtravels

I'm a great lurker of these boards.  I read every Live and Live"ish" - I just might not post often, but I'm with you all on every trip (silently sailing in spirit with you).   Two frequent posters have been inspiring me for a long time now, with their tales of cruises with family.  @Greenpea2 and her Sistahs cruises and @YVRteacher and her tales of adventures with her dear Dad, this is especially thanks to you!

I've been wanting to ditch the DH and plan a girls trip for many years now.  But since he can't live a day without his beloved, I hesitated to brooch the subject.  As much as I love cruising and would be on a ship all the time, my introverted husband prefers the quiet of our lake house.  And if I can get him to agree to a cruise, we barely leave the quiet of the Haven or the Blackjack table to enjoy the rest of the ship.  

But tomorrow isn't promised.  Life has a funny way of reminding us of this.  So today I booked a 5 day cruise to Bermuda on the Joy for this October.  I'm taking my 2 sisters and my Mom (who's turning 75 in October).  We booked the Haven Family Villa Suite (first time we'll be sharing a room since I moved out over 36 years ago).  

In the meantime, I'll be lurking on the boards and joining in.  Who knows?  Maybe one day I'll do a Live of my own!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, nhtravels said:

I'm a great lurker of these boards.  I read every Live and Live"ish" - I just might not post often, but I'm with you all on every trip (silently sailing in spirit with you).   Two frequent posters have been inspiring me for a long time now, with their tales of cruises with family.  @Greenpea2 and her Sistahs cruises and @YVRteacher and her tales of adventures with her dear Dad, this is especially thanks to you!

I've been wanting to ditch the DH and plan a girls trip for many years now.  But since he can't live a day without his beloved, I hesitated to brooch the subject.  As much as I love cruising and would be on a ship all the time, my introverted husband prefers the quiet of our lake house.  And if I can get him to agree to a cruise, we barely leave the quiet of the Haven or the Blackjack table to enjoy the rest of the ship.  

But tomorrow isn't promised.  Life has a funny way of reminding us of this.  So today I booked a 5 day cruise to Bermuda on the Joy for this October.  I'm taking my 2 sisters and my Mom (who's turning 75 in October).  We booked the Haven Family Villa Suite (first time we'll be sharing a room since I moved out over 36 years ago).  

In the meantime, I'll be lurking on the boards and joining in.  Who knows?  Maybe one day I'll do a Live of my own!

I love that you are doing this! And thanks for the mention. 🙂 I want so much to do another sistahs cruise---fingers crossed that the stars align again for that. Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, nhtravels said:

You are so right!  We don't usually travel with family, but for an October 2023 cruise, we invited my recently widowed mom (72) and my sister and brother-in-law to go with us.  We are all looking forward to it!

• Like 1

Awesome!  And thank you for this post. It’s very timely as DH and I have been offered a “free” cruise through URComped and all we have to pay is taxes and port fees ($320) for 6 nights in a veranda stateroom. Problem is/was the timing. The timing didn’t necessarily work with work. We went round and round and finally decided to go for it…but I felt guilty. You’re right though, tomorrow is not promised. We’re going for it. 

I hope you have a fantastic cruise with you mom and sisters! 

• Like 1

2015 was the year I really realized that. In the space of 1 year; one of my bosses died from a late cancer diagnosis, a friend's husband died from a late cancer diagnosis, and a co-worker was murdered. In 2016 I took my first buck list trip to Africa and have been taking more large trips since. 

• Like 1

Hi Neighbor - We live lakeside in the Lakes Region as well!

We realized the same thing when DH, the picture of health, had a heart attack in 2017.  Now we never pass up the opportunity to spend time with family/friends traveling.  We just did a cruise in February with our youngest (29) and his girlfriend.  It was her first time out of New England, on an airplane, on a cruise, and out of the country.  We had so much fun!  This fall it's two weeks in Hawaii (7 day cruise, three day before and five days after).

12 hours ago, nhtravels said:

So right .. I'd been looking into cruising for years before finally going on my first after my dad passed. I once brought mum on a holiday to Australia after I won flights from a local radio station, within 3 days of our departure my Dad decided he couldn't cope being at home on his own for 2 weeks so booked flights to join us for the second half of the trip. He and mum were on a sailing holiday in Greece when he died from an aneurysm almost 10 years ago. Our extended family lost a bunch of his generation over the space of 18 months. I decided to leave my corporate tech industry job cos it just wasn't worth the heartburn, and came back to the family shop. While I may not be earning what I got back then at least I'm not dealing with that stress anymore and I've changed my holiday habits drastically. Back in the corporate days my holidays were volunteering at various sporting events, yep that's how skewed I was, working for free was more enjoyable than the day job! These days while the months I can take holidays are restricted those holidays are now actual holidays, 1 cruise a year. 

• Like 4

Waited for 14 months to get results of multiple tests I had to do after I spent 3 days in the ER with extreme high blood pressure ( 220/130 ).

48 hours after I got the news that everything was OK I booked a cruise with my 2 teens. 

Do it while you can they say....

• Like 4

Leaving tomorrow for 1st family vacation in 6 years. This time with 24’s boyfriend and 27’s lifelong childhood friend. Schedules aligned which is so rare this age. Best Mother’s Day present ever to myself. Can’t wait to spend time together and to see the reactions of the newbies! 

• Like 5

I took my mom on our first cruise (NCL Epic) for her 69th birthday in March 2020. We hadn’t vacationed together since I was a kid. It wasn’t a perfect vacation, but I’ll always be grateful that we managed to take the trip before the COVID shutdown. She was diagnosed with cancer in July 2020 and passed away six weeks later. That cruise was the most time we had spent together in years and if we had postponed it by even a week, I wouldn’t have those memories with her. 

• Like 2

Reading everyone's posts has really hit home for me.  Some of these posts have brought tears to my eyes and others have filled me with joy.  All of them have reaffirmed my resolve that booking this trip was perfect timing.  

The best things in life are the people you love, the places you go and the memories you, make along the way.

• Like 8

Tomorrow isn't promised is so true. My sisters bucket list was to go to Alaska. So last year we booked an Alaskan cruise in the Haven. Last month took an awful turn and my sister passed away. So now we are taking her ashes to Alaska with us. If you want to do something do it, you never know what will happen.

• Like 3