SHOREX prices go up closer to sail date?

Do SHOREX prices increase as the excursions book up?  I never thought they did, but this week I was looking at Icy Strait Point excursions for a cruise a few months out.  Specifically the Gondolas and the Gondolas + Forrest Tram.  

Tuesday: Gondolas = $49, Gondolas + Tram = $79

Thursday: Gondolas = $69, Gondolas + Tram = $129

I was surprised that the prices increased, especially with several months to go.  The other excursions I'm looking at for the same cruise stayed the same price.  Are these types of increases common?  I was particularly surprised by the Gondolas, since I believe they assume infinite capacity and just sell as many all day tickets as they can.  Thanks.

20 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Do SHOREX prices increase as the excursions book up?  I never thought they did, but this week I was looking at Icy Strait Point excursions for a cruise a few months out.  Specifically the Gondolas and the Gondolas + Forrest Tram.  

I was surprised that the prices increased, especially with several months to go.  The other excursions I'm looking at for the same cruise stayed the same price.  Are these types of increases common?  I was particularly surprised by the Gondolas, since I believe they assume infinite capacity and just sell as many all day tickets as they can.  Thanks.

I have never noticed it. It could be their vendor jumping their prices. It is not supply and demand since prices normally don’t fluctuate much if any. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

is possible you were logged in (either the app or website) when you say the $79 price, and you were not when you say the $129 price?  The lower price could have included your $50 shore excursion credit, especially if you are solo on the reservation (thus getting the full credit vs spilt between two people)

I have noticed increases in some shorex that we've booked some time ago (and there's still four months to go until cruise date). Could be the vendors -- we booked these last year, and a new contract price might have been struck -- or it might just be "dynamic pricing" as it fills up.  

23 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

is possible you were logged in (either the app or website) when you say the $79 price, and you were not when you say the $129 price?  The lower price could have included your $50 shore excursion credit, especially if you are solo on the reservation (thus getting the full credit vs spilt between two people)

Thanks, but it's not that.

Yep, I just looked.  Gondolas are more now.  Booked it at $49 for an upcoming cruise, now it's showing $69 for the cruise I hadn't finished booking excursions - I usually book it because it's free....

Just hadn't done it yet, oh well! 

Wonder if they'll eventually up the excursion credit if they have to increase the prices on all of the cheaper excursions that currently qualify as "free"

• Like 1

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks, but it's not that.

I was really hoping it was that.  I've also not paid much attention to the prices, thinking the price was the price.  Something else for me to keep an eye on.....

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I have never noticed it. It could be their vendor jumping their prices. It is not supply and demand since prices normally don’t fluctuate much if any. 

Thanks @BirdTravels.  I think I just had poor timing on this one.  I checked the NCL generic listing of these SHOREX (i.e. not linked to my specific cruise) and the pricing there also reflects the higher prices.  That suggests to me that it is NOT just because my particular sail date has high demand.

15 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

@ChiefMateJRK I think the increased price is to pay the gondolier for his skills with the pole and his singing.

The lower price is if you pole the gondola and sing yourself.

I'll split the difference.  He can pole.  I'll sing.  Am I skilled at either?  Heck no.  But my crappy singing never led to anybody being hurt (hurt ears don't count).😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dbrown84 said:

They do NOT split the shorex $50 credit; it only applies to the first person on the booking.

Looks like all the NCL shore excursions at Icy Strait Point have gone up in price. There is very little competition from independent tour operators at that port, so Norwegian can charge more.

This is especially true at the port Valdez, where NCL charges $199 for a 3 hour bus tour around town, $249 for a walking food tour, and $429 for a glacier viewing cruise that usually cost only $164 if you can book yourself.