Can you leave cruise one stop before the end? (in Europe)

dingdong70

Hi...

I'm looking at the Celebrity Edge 9 day cruise on May 27th .....  but flights back from Rome at the end are INSANELY expensive and don't really want the huge extra cost of transfers into Rome and an extra nights accommodation just to wait for more reasonable flight prices.

Given there are no immigration/customs clearances needed is there any issue with leaving the boat the day before in Florence as flying back from Pisa would make much more sense.    Is there a process to request this or would you just do it once onboard?     

Thanks!

The policy used to be that you could get off earlier. Some ports wouldn't be allowed due to customs set up. I also know that they at times would charge a fee to do this. I would check with cruise line and then confirm it prior to making plans 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is called a downline disembarkation and you need to apply to Celebrity and pay a fee to have it approved.  The fee was approximately $65 a person.  Before the shut down it was easy to do, then after the restart they were not giving permission for this at all, but lately a couple of cruisers have indicated that they were able to get permission recently but I would definitely get the permission before I go booking your flight.

One last thought, there is no refund for your missed day on the cruise

We did on a cruise  that went from Rome to Rome. The last night was Naples and we got off and went to Sorrento for a few days then took a car back to Rome.  We had to pay Celebrity for the privilege although it wasn't a lot.  They helped us off the ship when we got to Naples. It was a breeze. The only thing I would change was our return flight. We didn't need to go all the way back to Rome but couldn't  change the flights. 

This was about four years ago.

Last September I got off in Palma and before that in May I got off in Victoria. Didn’t pay a dime on either occasion. No questions asked and if they make trouble say you have a toothache (the ships don’t facilitate dental treatment as I learned).

• Thanks 1

Have you considered taking a train from Rome to Pisa? It will require a connection or two starting in Civitavecchia, but it would be a relatively inexpensive option. For my upcoming cruise departing from Venice I'm actually flying into Rome and taking the train to save about $600 instead of flying into VCE.

3 hours ago, miguelmia said:

Have you considered taking a train from Rome to Pisa? It will require a connection or two starting in Civitavecchia, but it would be a relatively inexpensive option. For my upcoming cruise departing from Venice I'm actually flying into Rome and taking the train to save about $600 instead of flying into VCE.

The $600 are compensation for the physical and emotional damage commonly incurred from a flight ex FCO. One of the worst airports in Europe, if not THE worst.

5 hours ago, miguelmia said:

If they don't let you off.... The trains from Civitavecchia run directly to Pisa Centrale with no changes.  You then need to get the Pisa Mover I think it is called (all on your one ticket), which is a small train which takes you to the airport from Centrale and is very frequent.  All really easy and no lugging your suitcases up and down stairs.  I have done it many times, just to avoid the nightmare that is central Rome and connecting to Fiumicino airport.

Prior to the shut down, downline disembarkation’s were routinely approved. Since the start up, the first reports were that they were being denied.  It may have been a lack of people in the office to process them but whatever, in the last couple of months people have once again reported that their applications were approved.

Personally, I would never book a flight without having that approval in hand.

be prepared to settle your onboard account before you leave.

3 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

Well, doesn't sound like anyone on here really knows.  A few possible guesses though.

Wonder if the cruise line might have the proper answer?

It says in the daily planner print out to report to guest services at least 24 hours before your departure to set it up.  I'm guessing that attempting to pre-arranging shore-side wouldn't result in receiving the incorrect info and you'll ultimately be told to take care of it once on board

Edited by NutsAboutGolf