Question: Buying liqueur bottles in port--how many can we bring back?

Hi everyone,

I'm sailing on the Norwegian Sky next week and finally returning to St Maarten.  We ran out of the island's guavaberry liqueur too quickly last time we were there, so we want to buy more than just one bottle this trip.  I know if we buy it, they'll confiscate it and then give it back to us either the last night of the cruise or pick it up in the morning. But, how many bottles can we buy?  Is there a bottle limit per cabin/per passenger?  I could not find specific limitations in my e-docs or on their website.  If it's in there somewhere, my search terms must not have been precise.  Does anyone know what the limits might be for NCL?

Thank you in advance!

26 minutes ago, GuavaBerryNow said:

Hi everyone,

I'm sailing on the Norwegian Sky next week and finally returning to St Maarten.  We ran out of the island's guavaberry liqueur too quickly last time we were there, so we want to buy more than just one bottle this trip.  I know if we buy it, they'll confiscate it and then give it back to us either the last night of the cruise or pick it up in the morning. But, how many bottles can we buy?  Is there a bottle limit per cabin/per passenger?  I could not find specific limitations in my e-docs or on their website.  If it's in there somewhere, my search terms must not have been precise.  Does anyone know what the limits might be for NCL?

Thank you in advance!

NCL has no limit. 

See Q&A below from CBP

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-544?language=en_US#:~:text=You may include five liters,before boarding an outbound plane.

you can buy/ bring back as many as you can carry, but (1) you are correct, they will be confiscated and held for you until the cruise end (2) remember you have to pack and carry them, they have to be in checked baggage at the airport, (3) you are then relying on the baggage handlers to insure that at noo point in  your flight do they get broken.

we usually bring back 4 bottles (if at all) 2 in my wifes suitcase, 2 in mine, securely wrapped in clothes and towels.

5 hours ago, GuavaBerryNow said:

But as long as we're willing to pay duty, we can bring back several bottles?  We've not been able to find the guavaberry liqueur anywhere so willing to pay any duty on it.

True. As long as you declare it, you can bring back a "reasonable" amount (meaning it doesn't look like you are bringing it back for resale). Depending upon the mood of the Customs agent, he may waive the duties because it isn't worth the effort to collect it for a couple of excess bottles.

EDIT: while Customs might not have a problem, looks like TSA has a limit of 5 liters of hard liquor in checked luggage.  Not sure about limits on items of less than 24% alcohol.

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

On 5/13/2023 at 3:25 PM, EatonDoolittle said:

You don't say where you are from, but it is readily available in the US now.

Go to their website for store listings. 

Hmmm, I'm from California.  The website of the Guavaberry Rum Company only sells hot sauce in the US.  It looks like they do have an importer to the East Coast but nothing without an Atlantic coast.  Thank you for pointing this out though!  Relatives in those states may be able to help once the bottles we buy next week are emptied. 🙂

On 5/13/2023 at 6:00 PM, SpacemanSpiff said:

EDIT: while Customs might not have a problem, looks like TSA has a limit of 5 liters of hard liquor in checked luggage.  Not sure about limits on items of less than 24% alcohol.

On 5/13/2023 at 2:52 PM, complawyer said:

we usually bring back 4 bottles (if at all) 2 in my wifes suitcase, 2 in mine, securely wrapped in clothes and towels.

Thank you both!  4 bottles is likely what we will buy--2 each.  If you haven't tried the bottle bubblewrap containers that have triple sealed protection, I highly recommend them!  We've used those for wines and Torani syrups in checked luggage for years and they work great. 

Your mileage may vary, but I recently came home from Japan with 17 bottles of whiskey (yes, 17 - an entire suitcase), and customs couldn't have cared less. I declared them and all they wanted to know is if I had any plants or restricted food items. (This was in Boston.) 

We did an 11 day southern caribbean cruise a few years back and brought back a ton of liquor. 2-3 bottles from each port. NCL took them from us when we got on board, then gave them all back the last night. Packed them all up and had no issues getting them on the plane and back home.

13 hours ago, newbe dave said:

Check out "Wine Diapers" on Amazon or your local stores. They are reusable bubble bags made to hold a standard sized bottle of wine or booze.  I use them all the time when flying and they protect very well.

Oh, I thought those were for the nights you really, really drank too much. 😄

• Like 1