Celebrity Eclipse - Revolutionize/Refurbishment!

Encapsulated

4 minutes ago, omeinv said:

You can bet not, since they just moved Eclipse to the South America/Antarctica runs replacing Infinity there. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Do you know where the Eclipse would be in Nov. '24?  Sounds like it's changing ports?

5 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Do you know where the Eclipse would be in Nov. '24?  Sounds like it's changing ports?

November 2024, Eclipse will be in the Caribbean. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

In 2024/ 2025 Equinox is doing SA 

Yes, this season Eclipse, then Equinox.  In both cases Solstice class in SA, not Edge class. 

Harris

Denver, CO

My perspective may be a bit skewed after sailing on the Caribbean Princess last summer, about 6 weeks after it was supposedly in dry dock.  That ship is only a couple years older than the Eclipse but had more visible maintenance issues, including some significant ones (plumbing, AC, loose tiles, etc.) than I have ever seen on a cruise ship.  So coming from that perspective and just disembarking the Eclipse this past weekend, I thought the Eclipse looked amazing.  That's not to say I never saw anything wrong or that she looks as new as the Edge class ships (some of which probably still have that new ship smell) but I really think she is in amazing shape for her age.  I won't hesitate to sail her again if the opportunity comes up.

• Thanks 2

On 5/16/2023 at 9:25 AM, luvthec said:

We just got off the Eclipse in Honolulu May 9th.  

We were in a CS on deck 10, so these comments only pertain to our experience.

The lack of outlets is ridiculous.  My husband had to move his laptop/phone chargers off the desk so I could plug in the hair dryer and curling iron (no acceptable outlet in the bathroom).  We brought 1 extra European converter so we could utilize the Europe type plug on the desk.  We did pull out the nightstand and found an outlet behind there so we could charge a phone overnight and a Kindle during the day.  If they know there is an outlet behind a nightstand, why wouldn't they put some kind of extension on the nightstand so it could be utilized?  

One of my biggest complaints is the peeling paint on the balcony.  I mean EVERY SINGLE MORNING it looked like it had snowed.  I had to get a towel and clean off the table, chairs and lounger, then put a towel in front of the sliding doors so as not to track paint onto the carpet.  I peaked next door to see if the problem was just our balcony and our neighbors both had problems as well.  Our room steward actually had to vacuum the balcony every morning, it was that bad.  

I noticed ripped carpeting in the Oceanview Cafe, very scratched flooring and worn furniture in the library (where we spent a lot of time due to the pathetic "premium" internet in our room), sinks out of order in the common area ladies rooms, just little things, but it does become noticeable.

The toilet in our room was so old, there were scratches that had left a permanent dark gray ring about an inch thick, due to the scraping of the metal while cleaning the bowl.  

First world problems?  yes.  But when you pay a lot to stay in one of the nicest suites for 18 days, expectations are high.

I concur.

I can't believe those sinks in the ladies and gents toilets near the Ensemble Lounge are still out of order. We sailed back in January and they were out of order back then.

There was also  really bad smell in Micheal’s Club by the bar.

I've seen a few questions regarding the condition of the Eclipse. Giving an objective response is challenging given we all have differing "thresholds". It's a bit like the subjectivity around food reviews. Best I can say is if you're familiar with S class as new (this was our 3rd time on the Eclipse)  you'll likely be disappointed compared with say the Silhouette and Reflection that have be updated - I haven't been on either so solely based on reviews.

Conversely, the condition of the ship is reflected in the price. Our suite on the Eclipse was approximately 1/3 the price we'll be paying for an equivalent suite on the Edge.  This might therefore be worth considering if the itinerary is priority?

For us and yes it's a personal thing, we won't sail on an "unrevolutionised" Solstice Class ship.

17 hours ago, mizLORInj said:

Yikes.  Going on it in the fall, so I guess I'll adjust my expectations (after being on Beyond in Feb!).

So does this mean that top deck is still a sundeck and they have not blocked it off for suite guests only?   Like the Reflection had last year?    

I haven't sailed the Eclipse yet, but I know I saw a video tour of her from Nov 2022 and the top deck was clearly open, not closed off for suites.

8 hours ago, Redking said:

I concur.

I can't believe those sinks in the ladies and gents toilets near the Ensemble Lounge are still out of order. We sailed back in January and they were out of order back then.

There was also  really bad smell in Micheal’s Club by the bar.

I've seen a few questions regarding the condition of the Eclipse. Giving an objective response is challenging given we all have differing "thresholds". It's a bit like the subjectivity around food reviews. Best I can say is if you're familiar with S class as new (this was our 3rd time on the Eclipse)  you'll likely be disappointed compared with say the Silhouette and Reflection that have be updated - I haven't been on either so solely based on reviews.

Conversely, the condition of the ship is reflected in the price. Our suite on the Eclipse was approximately 1/3 the price we'll be paying for an equivalent suite on the Edge.  This might therefore be worth considering if the itinerary is priority?

For us and yes it's a personal thing, we won't sail on an "unrevolutionised" Solstice Class ship.

Best get your facts correct Reflection has not been revolutionized 

Our group 15 had a great time on the un revolutionized ship probably because no one was in a suite 😁

Suite are only about 5% of the cabins on a S-class ships , but some people who sail in suites think it is 50% of the ship 

22 hours ago, mizLORInj said:

Yikes.  Going on it in the fall, so I guess I'll adjust my expectations (after being on Beyond in Feb!).

So does this mean that top deck is still a sundeck and they have not blocked it off for suite guests only?   Like the Reflection had last year?    

Until the ship is revolutionized, there is no Retreat sundeck. The current sundeck is open to every passenger. Don't count on the Revolutionizing program to ever start back up again. 

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Until the ship is revolutionized, there is no Retreat sundeck. The current sundeck is open to every passenger. Don't count on the Revolutionizing program to ever start back up again. 

I agree, 

Celebrity is probably already designing the next class of ship, I could see the un revolutionizing S-class getting up grades of the new class of ships , and m-class getting sold off 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

40 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I agree, 

Celebrity is probably already designing the next class of ship, I could see the un revolutionizing S-class getting up grades of the new class of ships , and m-class getting sold off 

I overall agree with the premise, that if X's existing ships get a passenger space and stateroom renovation, it most likely won't resemble the previously revolutionized ships which were planned 5+ years ago.  As far as selling ships, every ship is for sale at the the right price including the Beyond, if an investor group offered $2B for the Beyond, RCG would sell it

The longer you spend on a ship, the more you notice.  The  more you pay for a stateroom, the more you expect.  It's also about comparison to other ships. 

Our last sailing was on the Royal Princess in an aft corner suite that was AHHHMAZING.  That sailing was a 14 night TA and I never once got bored with the dining options.  When your included dining options on X are Luminae (or MDR menu), OVC (so boring) or 4 selections on the room service menu, it does get a little tedious after 18 nights.  Ona 7-10 day sailing, I wouldn't have noticed.

Also, having my luggage disappear on disembarkation and the best we've gotten from the shoreside retreat office is a shrug at best, that definitely soured my experience, no doubt about it.

Manage your expectations and you'll be fine.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2023 at 5:25 PM, luvthec said:

We just got off the Eclipse in Honolulu May 9th.  

We were in a CS on deck 10, so these comments only pertain to our experience.

The lack of outlets is ridiculous.  My husband had to move his laptop/phone chargers off the desk so I could plug in the hair dryer and curling iron (no acceptable outlet in the bathroom).  We brought 1 extra European converter so we could utilize the Europe type plug on the desk.  We did pull out the nightstand and found an outlet behind there so we could charge a phone overnight and a Kindle during the day.  If they know there is an outlet behind a nightstand, why wouldn't they put some kind of extension on the nightstand so it could be utilized?  

One of my biggest complaints is the peeling paint on the balcony.  I mean EVERY SINGLE MORNING it looked like it had snowed.  I had to get a towel and clean off the table, chairs and lounger, then put a towel in front of the sliding doors so as not to track paint onto the carpet.  I peaked next door to see if the problem was just our balcony and our neighbors both had problems as well.  Our room steward actually had to vacuum the balcony every morning, it was that bad.  

I noticed ripped carpeting in the Oceanview Cafe, very scratched flooring and worn furniture in the library (where we spent a lot of time due to the pathetic "premium" internet in our room), sinks out of order in the common area ladies rooms, just little things, but it does become noticeable.

The toilet in our room was so old, there were scratches that had left a permanent dark gray ring about an inch thick, due to the scraping of the metal while cleaning the bowl.  

First world problems?  yes.  But when you pay a lot to stay in one of the nicest suites for 18 days, expectations are high.

Hello, we have an upcoming sailing in a CS Deck 10 #1235.  Any chance it was the same CS?

30 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

How quickly do your Kindles run low? I do a lot of reading on mine and it will hold the charge for 5-7 days!

Five days + for mine, ages  for husbands, he doesn’t read much.  He wouldn’t have a kindle if I hadn’t won one!,

• Like 1

Constellation was not revolutionized after all the hype and she is not shabby. Public areas got new carpet and upholstery refreshes.  Cabins are a little dated with original interiors, but not worth spending too much on even though she is 8 years older than Eclipse. A good and wise cost savings on Celebrity's part to cancel Revolution upgrades.  Taking extra usb charging ports onboard is not a big deal. Used to it sailing mostly older ships. Rather the cruise lines save their cash to pay down debt.

Edited by coaster

On 5/15/2023 at 2:23 AM, bigAWL said:

I'll be on the Eclipse this Aug (my first time on Celebrity).  I'm curious what specifically felt old.  Are things wearing out?  Breaking?  Or is it more of a style that looks dated?  I understand the TV looking old, but is there more to it?  

From my "research," the thing I think I'll have the biggest issue with is what appears to be a lack of electrical outlets and charging points in the room, specifically next to the bed.

Here's a balanced review just recently made.

On 5/27/2023 at 1:54 PM, bnurick said:

Hello, we have an upcoming sailing in a CS Deck 10 #1235.  Any chance it was the same CS?

We were in 1112, but both staterooms on either side of us had the same problem.  You are on the port side so I don't know if the paint is chipping on that side.  

• Thanks 1