The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday May 16th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Love a Tree Day, National Sea Monkey Day, and Wear Purple for Peace Day

To me, if life boils down to one thing, it's movement. To live is to keep moving. - Jerry Seinfeld

Meal Suggestion for today - Crunchy Chili Lime Shrimp
Drink of the Day - Bay Breeze
Wine of the Day - Joseph Phelps Insignia, Napa Valley, California 2014
Destination of the Day - Tunis, La Goulette, Tunisia

Today in History:
1920 Joan of Arc (Jeanne D'arc) canonized a saint

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Nieuw Amsterdam

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1700

Nieuw Statendam

Stavanger, Norway 0700-1600

Noordam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1500

Oosterdam

Ibiza, Spain 0700-1700

Rotterdam

At Sea destination Kiel, Germany eta 17 May

Volendam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 17 May

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 1300-2100

Zaandam

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island 0900-1700

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Praia Da Vitoria, Azores eta 19 May

0516World.thumb.png.2c8683cc12ef9ddc3ad3d6c5c4ebf0b8.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 20

Bay Breeze cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
1/2 part Pineapple Juice
1/2 part Cranberry Juice
Garnish: Pineapple Slice, Strawberries

Instructions
Pour Cruzan® Aged Light Rum over ice in a rocks or Collins glass. Fill with pineapple juice and cranberry juice. Stir. Garnish with a pineapple slice and strawberry.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 6.26.04 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

A big thank you to Sandi.  Welcome back Rich.

An interesting collection of days.  I love trees.  I remember the ads for Sea Monkeys in the back page of comic books, but I never ordered any.  I will wear purple and pray for peace.

Good quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.

I think I'll like the drink, hope the wine is good too.

I haven't been to today's port, thanks in advance for pictures.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great day!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  Welcome back from the world cruise Rich, it’s nice to have you hosting the daily again.  It’s hard to love a tree as I love all trees.  I remember the sea monkeys that I ordered from the back of a comic book.  They ended up being brine shrimp that multiplied like rabbits!  I don’t own a stitch of purple to wear today.  Today’s quote sounds like my mom’s advice to keep moving otherwise you’ll freeze up and stop being able to.  The meal and drink suggestions sound nice.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on the prayer list today.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 30

Good morning.

It is currently 56°F and sunny in North East England.

Welcome back Rich and thank you for providing today's fleet reports and Daily.

The last time I hugged a tree was when I was 14 and was climbing up the tree.

True quote.

Nice sounding food of the day.

We had a nice day in Tunis when we were on Sun cruises Sunbird in June 2004.

Sending good wishes to everyone who is unwell and also to those cruising.

I hope everyone has a safe and nice day.

Screenshot_20230516_113524.jpg

Screenshot_20230516_113553.jpg

Screenshot_20230516_113454.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Good Tuesday morning!  Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report!

I have to say today’s Sea Monkey day sure brings a smile to my face.  So unexpected! 

I’m thankful to all who keep this thread going.  I look forward to the Daily and everyone’s contributions each day.

Prayers to all in need, and cheers to all with good news or traveling.

• Like 26

Welcome back Rich.  Thank you Rich, Eva, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  To me purple is the color of the Ravens but I will get it out today.  I'll pass on the sea monkeys but celebrate peace.  While Joan of Arc is definitely a martyr I'm less enthusiastic about her as a saint.  I like the Seinfeld quote.  I haven't been to Tunisia and will pass on the shrimp.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup, Grilled Herb Strip Loin Steak, and Pistachio Ice Cream as served on MS Veendam May 16, 2016.

Roy

• Like 35

Tuesday May 16 care and celebration list

Crabby Patti caring for DF  who is no longer ambulatory

Jazzyv with knee and back pain but doing things

Cunnorl recovering from surgery 

Tupper10 with post op pain but doing ok

Cruznterri’s dh taking it easy after mohs surgery

1angelcat with a very sick kitty

Wildfire and tornado victims

Too many shooting victims every day, most recently Farmington,  New Mexico

Citizens of Ukraine and the Sudan 

From the rotation:

Luvteaching’s DH in rehab but close to home

Atexsix DF working on getting

Roy recovering from pneumonia and getting stronger

Celebrations

Tana responding to medication and walking with walker

NextOne not needing any procedures, July cruise is on!

Surgery date for smitty34877 DH

Father David on a pilgrimage for 3 weeks (May 21)

Bennybear feeling better

Mamaofami’s dh pneumonia free

Mamaofami with good oncology report

Rafinmd fleshing out September and November cruises

RMLincoln good eye report,  surgery date for other eye august 1

Vict0rians dh home after surgery

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

5 days for Crazy For Cats(Zaandam 5/20 to 5/27)

Cruising 

Sharon in AZ (Volendam to 5/17) at sea

Marshhawk (Nieuw Amsterdam to 5/21)

Jazzyv cruise, Germany vacation to 5/28

Cruising sister (Nieuw Statendam to 5/28)

SusieKIslandGirl (Nieuw Statendam to5/28)

• Like 24
  • Thanks 15

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich and WELCOME HOME !

Different collection of days.  I guess we loved trees since we planted 4 on our property.  They are wonderful except in the Fall when I curse DH for the cleanup 😉 Never had sea monkeys.  Peace is wished for every day.  Not sure if I have anything purple or not, though.  

I like today’s quote.  Meal sounds good IF the chilis are not hot ones.  I am big admirer of Jean D’Arc and happy to see her canonization marked in today’s history.

No help with outside yesterday.  My guy wasn’t feeling well so I told him it could wait until he was feeling better.  Either this afternoon if it doesn’t rain or tomorrow.  But the early plants have finally started blooming 👍 

IMG_1656.thumb.jpeg.07125bfe9e7f1242e89c5494bb857b63.jpeg

IMG_1657.thumb.jpeg.8c61188c7cda7e9fd157cb6288e4972e.jpeg

IMG_1655.thumb.jpeg.54e2899125d79a654cc882609def638f.jpeg

Snow tires are finally off.  It seems nothing is simple these days.  Went to the appointment and the guy who made it for me didn’t enter it into the computer 😔 And he wasn’t there and the pro at using the extractor to get the wheel locks off - so it was a longer wait than normal.  ‘Sigh’.  At least Ivan was good with me being gone such a longer time 👍 

IMG_3529.jpeg.43f679937dcfb4b87b77fd92c42e7a67.jpeg

Busy morning with Ivan and then hair appointment.  If the sun stays out and it doesn’t rain, Ivan and I will see what we can do.  I’m sure he will be a huge help 😂  I need one of these plant markers.

IMG_3535.jpeg.ff580d4287f815fc234d369ed774336f.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those celebrating.

IMG_3527.jpeg.eb1f0af309e78d80743d70e8c0c4070f.jpeg

Have a good Tuesday everyone !!!

• Like 31
  • Haha 11

Good morning friends!  It's 68F with cloudy skies.  We expect a high of 85 and rain chances starting after lunch.  I am going to my hair appointment this morning and perhaps I'll be home before the rain begins.  Thank you to our leader Rich @richwmn for starting us up today.  👍

Our days to celebrate are varied, aren't they?  I love a tree except when they're blocking my view. 😉  Never owned a sea monkey.  Mom probably said no.  I will try to wear something purple today for peace.  Jerry Seinfeld really got it right about keep moving.  I think several of my aches and pains are because of slowing down during Covid.  The menu suggestion today (Crunchy Chili Lime Shrimp) sounds interesting but if it's spicy I can't eat it.  The Bay Breeze sounds refreshing and I have no idea what type of wine we have this morning but will wait for our F&B Dept. reports.  Thanks to all our ladies, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard.  The day in history is a big one.  

Prayers for the Care list people and we send our support for you all.  Hoping the pain is less and recovery soon.🙏  Special thoughts going out to @1ANGELCAT and her Fluff.  Hope she is responding to treatment.  A salute to all on the Celebration list!🥂  Hoping Annie has a great visit to Sitka today!  Sharon @Sharon in AZ hope you two have smooth sailing to Vancouver.

Port of the day is La Goulette, Tunis, Tunisia.  That is a port that was cancelled for us on a cruise once.  It was listed here once before on Oct. 25, 2021 and July 11, 2022.  Below are the links for your convenience in retrieving photos.  None from me today!

Hope all of you have a great day.  Stay safe!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6

Welcome back Rich! Thank you for sharing your journey with us & even enhancing the Daily while on the cruise!

Sandi, I have run out of words. So I am sending you a huge HUG of thanks!

Eva, thank you for keeping track of all of us so well!  It is a gorgeous morning here. Gym, yard work, Bindi walks, chores & a visit to the local Beachfront Winery to wrap up the day. 

I definitely need one of these bags….

IMG_1295.jpeg.067830c4b84304a266b16a2f9a39deba.jpeg

IMG_1299.jpeg.1439d8f42b9219114cfa7e7546fa781e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. This includes fur family members, like Fluff! Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Joseph Phelps Insignia, Napa Valley, California 2014

Well all released vintages share the same excellent - superb reviews & hefty price tag. The more recent vintages just have to hang out in your cellar longer. I would love a taste of this one, but with the lowest online price being $240.00, it is outside of my budget. 

Winemaker Notes

The 2014 Insignia opens with expressive blackberry, cocoa powder, Bergamot and floral aromatics. Fresh and focused with concentrated black fruit, mocha, cardamom and Madagascar vanilla notes. Opulent and rich with supple tannin structure and balance.

Blend: 87% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Petit Verdot, 2% Malbec, 2% Cabernet Franc

JS97 James Suckling
The blackberry, dark-chocolate and walnut aromas are persuasive. Full body, a dense and fruity center palate and beautiful depth and intensity. The tannin texture is exceptional. Great wine. Drink in 2020 and onwards.
RP97 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
Composed of 87% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Petit Verdot, 2% Malbec and 2% Cabernet Franc coming from six vineyards and reared for 24 months in 100% new French oak, the 2014 Insignia Proprietary Red Wine has a deep garnet-purple color and nose of crushed blackberries and fresh blackcurrants with touches of cigar box, sandalwood, dried lavender, beef drippings and mocha plus a waft of wild thyme. Medium to full-bodied and incredibly elegant and fine in the mouth, the lively fruit is well structured by grainy tannins and seamless acid, finishing long and earthy. Rating: 97+
WE96 Wine Enthusiast
This fine vintage of Insignia combines 87% Cabernet Sauvignon with 9% Petit Verdot, 2% Malbec and 2% Cabernet Franc. Soft, supple and seamless, it offers rich but balanced cassis and milk chocolate flavors, with supportive and complementary oak. It should do well in the cellar and will be best from 2024–2034.

Cellar Selection

WW96 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
Always a wine on my radar screen, Joseph Phelps has produced a tannic one for the ages. The 2014 vintage rocks with superb black currants that are complemented with its oak treatment. Give this wine time in the cellar. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 4

Good morning, everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

Purple happens to be my favorite color, so I try and wear it every day. 

It will be a warm 82 here. I plan to spend some time outside today. 

12 days and counting until cruise day!

Thinking of you all.

Have a safe and healthy day.

• Like 28

I haven't posted in awhile since it has been a rough recovery from my back surgery but finally feeling a bit better so you can take me off of the care list. 

Rich I loved following you on the world cruise, welcome back. Sandy thanks for doing this while Rich was away. Sorry Rem lost his game but you have a wonderful happy event coming up - high school graduations are so meaningful. 

Sending healing thoughts to everyone who needs them and for ill pets as well.  I hope Vanessa is finally feeling a bit better and can get out and about.  

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!  

It is a beautiful day here in mid-Michigan.  We will have glorious sunshine and temps in the upper 70s.  We bought more flowers for the newly stained deck.  Also, we decided to leave the bistro set where it was and save up for some nice furniture for the deck.  First, we need a storage box for the cushions on the glider.  I don't want them living in the hallway all winter long.  

Today we have one more company coming to give us a price on painting the house.  Yesterday's estimate was the top one so far.  We have one that is slightly lower in cost, but does not include prep work.  Yesterday's does.  And, instead of a solo guy painting, it is a team so the job will get done a bit more quickly.  

Today's meal sounds like it is packed with flavor.  You can control the heat by using more or less of the ancho chili pepper and black pepper.  Some recipes use chili powder instead of the ancho chili powder.  That tends to be milder.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/crunchy-chili-lime-shrimp/

chililimeshrimp1.jpg.37732e3750f033a5d6f8cdfa59415a63.jpg

This recipe uses the chili powder.  Again, adjust the amount to suit your tastes.  If you don't like cilantro, leave it out.  https://feelgoodfoodie.net/recipe/chili-lime-shrimp/

chililimeshrimp2.thumb.jpg.701158885e1e3a1e88f6e16b631d7e87.jpg

This last one uses honey and orange juice to make a sweet chili sauce for the shrimp.  https://healthyishfoods.com/crispy-shrimp-with-sweet-chili-lime-sauce/

chililimeshrimp3.jpg.5fa2fe83b8594de4777bf1bf184bcd8b.jpg

There you have it!   

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 17

Good morning. It is going to be warm and sunny here and is a lovely day so far. We were in the port on a Eurodam cruise after Arab Spring. It was an interesting port and I remember the Souk vividly. I will gladly wear purple for peace and enjoyed Graham’s explanation!

I hope Fluff @1ANGELCAT is doing better today.

@aliaschief, Happy Anniversary to Bruce and Sue. Rest up after your grandparents job if you can before your cruise.

We are managing well here and the aide is proving to be a huge asset. Even the knots in my shoulders are relaxing a little! Dinner plans are yet to be made. I made the chicken yesterday but used store bought sauce. Thanks to Debbie once again for a delicious meal dinner idea. @dfish.

Take care all.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1