Cruising from Quebec City

JohnH9

We are traveling with two other couples on NCL Pearl 9/22/23. We are looking for Pre-Cruise hotel recommendations close to the cruise port. Also, guidance for ground transportation would be appreciated.

I live in Montreal, not Quebec city (3 hours away).

However, I can make some basic recommendations. 

Quebec city is a beautiful city, with alot of interesting architecture, and of course, food.

I recommend staying in the old part of the city (cobblestone streets, French cafès & restaurants, lots of character). You can basically walk to everything of interest from this area (maybe not the cruise port).

The grandest hotel, with best location and views is the Fairmount Chateau Frontenac (however, could be expensive, depends on your budget). You can get very charming smaller hotels, less expensive, in the same area. For ground transportation, I recommend taxis/uber (unless the hotel you choose has airport transfer and/or cruise transport.) Happy to help with any other questions.

Checkout the Auberge Place d'Armes...we loved this hotel and location when we sailed from Quebec City. Also the Clarendon Hotel and the Palace Royal Hotel...both great locations. Getting to the port is an easy taxi ride you don't need to be right by the port.

We stayed at the Hotel Ste. Anne on rue Ste. Anne - in the heart of the old walled city.  Reasonably priced, and while not as glamorous as the famed Chateau Frontenac it was far less expensive and actually at least as convenient to the rest of the city.  

If your plans aren't set in stone yet, and you are fans of Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache mystery series – I suggest adding a few days at the beginning of your cruise to visit the Eastern Townships area in which the books are set.  Rent a car at the Quebec airport, base yourself in Knowlton, and look to this website for touring ideas:

https://www.easterntownships.org/tourist-routes/12/three-pines-inspirations-map-louise-penny

You too can get a picture in front of this sign, proving that you have been to a place the doesn't exist!

b1a7cdae.jpg.a412fff792727cd507508ed186208417.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lioness27 said:

The grandest hotel, with best location and views is the Fairmount Chateau Frontenac (however, could be expensive, depends on your budget).

If this is going to be a once in a while trip to Quebec City just stay at Fairmont Chateau Frontenac--- you'll be looking at the hotel your entire trip there so might as well stay there. Uber works fine in terms of ground transport but there are taxis that will queue at hotels and the airport. 

9 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

If this is going to be a once in a while trip to Quebec City just stay at Fairmont Chateau Frontenac--- you'll be looking at the hotel your entire trip there so might as well stay there. Uber works fine in terms of ground transport but there are taxis that will queue at hotels and the airport. 

But if looking at the Chateau Frontenac is the big thing, wouldn’t staying somewhere nearby be more to the point?  I agree, it is an awesome building, but largely when seen from outside.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I agree, it is an awesome building, but largely when seen from outside.

I don't agree with that at all. The newer renovation they completed is really quite nice-- brought the hotel into the modern era without destroying the interior parts that made it charming. It's clear they put A LOT of money into it.

We stayed a little more than a year ago and the guest room renovations were well done-- especially the bathroom which was tastefully updated with a marble shower in place of what was a cramped, outdated tub. 

We've deviated once or twice over the years staying at other places in QC and always regretted it. The Chateau is by far my favorite hotel there. I think if I went to QC several times a year or went regularly for business I could see finding something that was a little more homey and there are times of the year that it can be very expensive (but also very reasonable at others). But for someone visiting Quebec for the first time or occasional visitor its tough to beat the Chateau Frontenac. 

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

But if looking at the Chateau Frontenac is the big thing, wouldn’t staying somewhere nearby be more to the point?  I agree, it is an awesome building, but largely when seen from outside.

I agree. Our corner room (2nd floor) at the Auberge Place d'Armes gave us an amazing view of the Chateau. We couldn't have lucked out more with this room/hotel !!!

On 5/17/2023 at 2:48 PM, Ashland said:

Checkout the Auberge Place d'Armes...we loved this hotel and location when we sailed from Quebec City. Also the Clarendon Hotel and the Palace Royal Hotel...both great locations. Getting to the port is an easy taxi ride you don't need to be right by the port.

Thank you everyone, for supplying hotel suggestions. We chose the Hotel Palace Royal. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnH9 said:

Thank you everyone, for supplying hotel suggestions. We chose the Hotel Palace Royal. 

We'll be staying there early this December for the Christmas Market. Let me know how you like it.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:16 PM, Host Carolyn said:

Been staying at Chateau d' Pierre across the park from Chateau Frontenac for 40 years. Great location, charming not far from port. Love this city!

Chateaudepierre.com

We were last there after reservations and much to our surprise there was a Starbucks .To me that took away from the beauty of the hotel.