Waikiki hotel with reasonable parking?

DCwom

I'm trying to narrow down some hotels in Waikiki based on the extra fees, like parking & resort fees. So far the nicer hotels e.g. 4 star all see to charge about $50-55 or so per night for parking. Do these parking rates hold true even as you move away from the beach?

1 hour ago, DCwom said:

So far the nicer hotels e.g. 4 star all see to charge about $50-55 or so per night for parking. Do these parking rates hold true even as you move away from the beach?

Yes-- parking in Waikiki is very expensive no matter where you go, nearly Manhattan expensive. It also can be contested (by Hawaiian standards) and makes driving in and out less than fun.

When we stay in Waikiki we will usually only rent a car for the day that we need it (there are all the major rental car agencies with desks in Waikiki as well as easy car share options) and then just use Uber to get around the rest of the time. 

You'd be far better off just renting a car for the day you need it and then spend the money you would have on parking at a nicer hotel. 

• Like 3

Waikiki is not cheap. Land is at a premium there, just like the downtown in any major city. 

Agree with @princeton123211, rent a car only for the day you need it for touring. Otherwise Waikiki is very walkable. We have done 3 week long trips to the island of Oahu, staying in Waikiki every time, seen most of the sights on the island, including Northshore, hiked to the top of Diamond Head and visited Pearl Harbor three times, and never rented a car.

• Like 3

Agree with the previous posters. A car in Waikiki is an expensive anchor. You can rent a car for the day from pretty much any of the rental agencies right in Waikiki and turn it in that night without paying parking. The ONLY possible exception is if you have a military ID and park at the Hale Koa, but I'm pretty sure there are restrictions on overnight parking if you're not a guest.

The Bus and Uber are your friends in Waikiki.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DCwom said:

I'm trying to narrow down some hotels in Waikiki based on the extra fees, like parking & resort fees. So far the nicer hotels e.g. 4 star all see to charge about $50-55 or so per night for parking. Do these parking rates hold true even as you move away from the beach?

Focus on total cost, not the separate pieces. If you belong to Costco, look at their deals.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CaribbeanBound said:

You can often get free parking with an AirBnB rental.  Many are available in Waikiki.

Yes, but one should compare the overall cost.

Honolulu recently enacted new regulations for AirBnB type-rentals in residential areas requiring 90-day minimum bookings. This will not affect rentals in designated resort areas, including Ko Olina, Turtle Bay, and parts of Waikiki. We booked an AirBnB w/parking in Waikiki last summer, but the Host cancelled it when he realized our dates was after the start date (Oct 2022) of the regulations and took down the listing.

We know a couple who purchased two homes to be used as AirBnBs, but now rent one full time, and uses the other as their 2nd home. 

Edited by Philob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Philob said:

Honolulu recently enacted new regulations for AirBnB type-rentals in residential areas requiring 90-day minimum bookings.

Not that big of a change because it was a minimum of 30 days before, so a week or two week stay was illegal anyway. Plus the District Court in Honolulu has placed an injunction on the DPP, preventing them from enforcing most of the rules on the 30-89 day new law, pending a full hearing on the various lawsuits.

On 5/20/2023 at 11:15 PM, Philob said:

Yes, but one should compare the overall cost.

Honolulu recently enacted new regulations for AirBnB type-rentals in residential areas requiring 90-day minimum bookings. This will not affect rentals in designated resort areas, including Ko Olina, Turtle Bay, and parts of Waikiki. We booked an AirBnB w/parking in Waikiki last summer, but the Host cancelled it when he realized our dates was after the start date (Oct 2022) of the regulations and took down the listing.

We know a couple who purchased two homes to be used as AirBnBs, but now rent one full time, and uses the other as their 2nd home. 

It is still 30 days the 90-day change is tied up in a court case. But it should be noted Airbnb is allowed within the Resorts Zone Waikiki. 

On 5/21/2023 at 12:36 AM, scottca075 said:

Not that big of a change because it was a minimum of 30 days before, so a week or two week stay was illegal anyway. Plus the District Court in Honolulu has placed an injunction on the DPP, preventing them from enforcing most of the rules on the 30-89 day new law, pending a full hearing on the various lawsuits.

Airbnb is an option and short term rentals are legal but only within the designated Resorts Zone. I have a couple of friends who have close to 60 of these legal short term rentals, many come with parking. They are a very good alternative to hotel rates. Several of them are in Condo Hotels, buildings that are operated as part hotel and part private units. 

I stayed in one of these friends units for a couple of days in January, had a nice Penthouse unit, with parking, small kitchen area, ensuite bath, would have been about $250 a night if paid. We really liked it. 

We were booked in a "Waikiki" Airbnb, the host cited the new 90-day reg as the reason he cancelled. As I've read and understand there are certain parts of Waikiki that are NOT exempt from the 90-day reg, hence that could be part of the legal argument against the reg.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Philob said:

We were booked in a "Waikiki" Airbnb, the host cited the new 90-day reg as the reason he cancelled. As I've read and understand there are certain parts of Waikiki that are NOT exempt from the 90-day reg, hence that could be part of the legal argument against the reg.

In general, properties mauka (towards the mountains) of Kuhio Ave in Waikiki are not in the Tourist Zone and need a permit to rent daily/weekly. The City & County of Honolulu publishes a list that shows the legally permitted properties. Those properties should be able to produce a Non-conforming Use Certificate (NUC).

1 hour ago, Expat Cruise said:

Airbnb is an option and short term rentals are legal but only within the designated Resorts Zone.

Airbnb and Vrbo are poor resources for finding legal units in Waikiki. It is better to use local agencies like Ali'i Beach Rentals, Waikiki Beach Rentals, Captain Cook Resorts, Koko Resorts and the condo divisions of Castle Resorts and Outrigger Resorts to find accommodations.

https://www.aliibeachrentals.com/

https://waikikibeachrentals.com/

https://www.captaincookresorts.com/

https://www.kokoresorts.com/

https://www.castleresorts.com/oahu/

https://www.outrigger.com/hawaii/oahu

People can look for units at the Ilikai, Ilikai Marina, Imperial Waikiki, Waikiki Shore, Sunset Waikiki, Regency on Beachwalk and Wyndham Waikiki, but parking may not be included, although I know the Waikiki Banyan has a reasonable parking fee. I think it was $20 last time I looked.

Redweek might have some Hilton Grand Vacation Club units, but I don't think they include parking.

https://www.redweek.com/resort/P1074-hilton-grand-vacations-at-hilton

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Airbnb and Vrbo are poor resources for finding legal units in Waikiki. It is better to use local agencies.

That is your opinion, and you have every right to have that opinion. I have always found Airbnb, offers some very good deals with a high level of safety and well vetted  Superhost. It seems many others have also found it to be a good choice. Over 150 million worldwide users have booked over one (1) billion stays with them. The readers can make their own choice after reading this thread

11 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

It seems many others have also found it to be a good choice. Over 150 million worldwide users have booked over one (1) billion stays with them. The readers can make their own choice after reading this thread

I think what you're speaking to is Airbnb/Vrbo in general and not as it relates specifically to Honolulu and Waikiki. What Scott and others are saying is that Airbnb/Vrbo, not being local companies, do a poor job of vetting which rentals in Waikiki are exempt or not and because of this there has been confusion and disappointment.

I had this happen to friends of ours who wanted to save some $$ when they stayed with us in Waikiki recently (vs a hotel) and ended up having to book the hotel anyway after the Airbnb was cancelled after they booked it. Airbnb seems to leave a bunch of listings up that are nonbookable due to the law but they don't remove them from the website. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

That is your opinion, and you have every right to have that opinion. I have always found Airbnb, offers some very good deals with a high level of safety and well vetted  Superhost. It seems many others have also found it to be a good choice. Over 150 million worldwide users have booked over one (1) billion stays with them. The readers can make their own choice after reading this thread

You do not seem to understand the vacation rental market in the state of Hawaii.

Airbnb and Vrbo absolutely do not "vet" properties in the state of Hawaii for legality as to local zoning laws. I don't blame them per se because it would be impossible to know the laws in each locality  they are in. In LA County alone, for example, there are 88 different cities and each of the cities that are popular tourist destinations has its own set of rules and regulations. The Internet rental companies could never keep up.

In Hawaii specifically, because of the acute housing shortage, this has been a problem ever since the Internet and Vrbo type companies came into existence. It has been an incredible battle in HI for local homeowners to take back their neighborhoods. A quick look at Airbnb for the town of Kailua on Oahu will show hundreds of Airbnbs for rent, but there are maybe 40 legal short term rentals in Kailua.

That is why in Hawaii, it is better to use local agencies, whose very existence depends on conducting business in an aboveboard manner.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I think what you're speaking to is Airbnb/Vrbo in general and not as it relates specifically to Honolulu and Waikiki. What Scott and others are saying is that Airbnb/Vrbo, not being local companies, do a poor job of vetting which rentals in Waikiki are exempt or not and because of this there has been confusion and disappointment.

The venting is very good, if you deal with units represented by a Superhost. Superhost cannot cancel on you, they must have less than a 1% cancelation rate, or they're not Superhost. Also, the license number for the property appears in the real listings within the resorts zone. If you book a property that is through a Superhost, which is a local on the ground person, and that hosts has dozens of 5-star reviews, you will have no negative issues. The positive side is a lower nightly cost in most cases.  

9 hours ago, scottca075 said:

You do not seem to understand the vacation rental market in the state of Hawaii,

I have a very good understanding of the market. Maybe it is you who do not understand it. Units located within the resorts zone are 100% legal. These units are controlled by locals, residents and many times are the same hotel/condo hotel you can find on the open market.  Air

46 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

The venting is very good, if you deal with units represented by a Superhost. Superhost cannot cancel on you, they must have less than a 1% cancelation rate, or they're not Superhost. Also, the license number for the property appears in the real listings within the resorts zone. If you book a property that is through a Superhost, which is a local on the ground person, and that hosts has dozens of 5-star reviews, you will have no negative issues. The positive side is a lower nightly cost in most cases.  

It is called vetting and you do not even understand what I am talking about. Superhost, Stupendoushot, Megatastichost, it doesn't matter. That has ZERO to do with being legal on Oahu. A "license" number is not the same as an NUC. There are illegal units in Kailua, run by Superhosts. They flaunt the law because they can.

46 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

I have a very good understanding of the market. Maybe it is you who do not understand it. Units located within the resorts zone are 100% legal. These units are controlled by locals, residents and many times are the same hotel/condo hotel you can find on the open market.  Air

Sure, units in the Resort Zone are 100% legal.... unfortunately when you search Airbnb for Waikiki it doesn't just show units inside the Resort Zone, it shows them all over Waikiki, even outside the Resort Zone and none of the listings have the required NUC number. If Airbnb doesn't tell someone searching their site about legal and illegal units, how is someone supposed to know?

That is why Airbnb is a BAD resource and why local agencies are better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Sure, units in the Resort Zone are 100% legal.... unfortunately when you search Airbnb for Waikiki it doesn't just show units inside the Resort Zone, it shows them all over Waikiki, even outside the Resort Zone and none of the listings have the required NUC number. If Airbnb doesn't tell someone searching their site about legal and illegal units, how is someone supposed to know?

That is why Airbnb is a BAD resource and why local agencies are better.

Why are you trying to discredit Airbnb. Airbnb is respected Worldwide.

I would much rather trust a Superhost than a small local service. Since May 2022, Airbnb has protected every booking with Aircover. UAirbnb also offers a 24-hour safety line.  If issues like cancellation Aircover, will find a similar or better home, or give a refund. Sorry, I will take a 68 billion dollar corporation's guarantee over a small local operator. 

Your claim that the renters cannot know if legal is also not correct. Units in the resort zone have the correct license numbers shown within the listing. Once booked, the host is required to give you the exact address of the rental and anyone can if they want check to see if a legal unit. 

Like this, license numbers:  

260230450030, 406A, TA-155-423-5392-01

They guarantee their bookings, so renters do not lose. And if someone is operating an illegal unit outside the approved zone, or not grandfathered, it does not affect the renter. It is a $10,000 find to the owner of the unit. 

7 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Once booked, the host is required to give you the exact address of the rental and anyone can if they want check to see if a legal unit. Like this, license numbers260230450030, 406A, TA-155-423-5392-01 They guarantee their bookings, so renters do not lose. And if someone is operating an illegal unit outside the approved zone, or not grandfathered, it does not affect the renter. It is a $10,000 find to the owner of the unit. 

This is just further evidence that you know nothing about the transit vacation unit laws in Hawaii in general, and Oahu specifically. None of the "license numbers" you list are relevant to a unit outside the Tourist Zone. The TA number is merely a Transient Accommodation Registration Identification Number and they don't show a GET number to let you know they are paying the legal taxes. That alone is a red flag. If the unit isn't in a Tourist Zone building then it also needs an NUC number.

Most visitors do not have any idea of the local STR laws in Hawaii. They are trusting that Airbnb or Vrbo is vetting that and that trust is misplaced. If someone is operating an illegal unit it most certainly effects the renter if the unit is shut down before they arrive, or worse, while they are in the unit.

The third leg of why locals agencies are better than a national platform are the rules of the condo building itself. A unit could be in a Tourist Zone building and therefore legal to rent for less than 30 days by the laws of Oahu, but the condo association might have their own rules prohibiting short term rentals and Airbnb et al have no way of knowing that when someone creates a listing on their site. No one from Airbnb is checking with the building management if that is allowed.

But I suspect this will all fall on deaf ears.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 9:27 PM, scottca075 said:

This is just further evidence that you know nothing about the transit vacation unit laws in Hawaii in general, and Oahu specifically. None of the "license numbers" you list are relevant to a unit outside the Tourist Zone. The TA number is merely a Transient Accommodation Registration Identification Number and they don't show a GET number to let you know they are paying the legal taxes. That alone is a red flag. If the unit isn't in a Tourist Zone building then it also needs an NUC number.

Most visitors do not have any idea of the local STR laws in Hawaii. They are trusting that Airbnb or Vrbo is vetting that and that trust is misplaced. If someone is operating an illegal unit it most certainly effects the renter if the unit is shut down before they arrive, or worse, while they are in the unit.

The third leg of why locals agencies are better than a national platform are the rules of the condo building itself. A unit could be in a Tourist Zone building and therefore legal to rent for less than 30 days by the laws of Oahu, but the condo association might have their own rules prohibiting short term rentals and Airbnb et al have no way of knowing that when someone creates a listing on their site. No one from Airbnb is checking with the building management if that is allowed.

You seem to be missing the second point, Airbnb as of March 2022 guarantees the units, and if a rental is in the non-allowed areas it has no effect on the renter, only the owner. The unit shown with these licenses is in the tourist zone, we will agree on one thing someone here does not care about the truth, and wants to supply misinformation. I know what I have posted is true. 

12 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

You seem to be missing the second point, Airbnb as of March 2022 guarantees the units, and if a rental is in the non-allowed areas it has no effect on the renter, only the owner.

Yes it has an effect on the renter if the week before they leave, they are told the unit has been shut down because it was illegal. They now have round trip airfare, car reservations, reservations for the USS Arizona, Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, tours and now they have no place to stay. They might be able to find something else to stay in last minute.... or not, but it is likely to be more expensive at the last minute.

Does Airbnb find you a new unit? They can't find, what isn't available. Oh sure they will give you a refund, but that does nothing for the other expenses incurred and the wasted reservations.

On 5/24/2023 at 6:27 AM, scottca075 said:

It did of course fall on deaf ears.

Every city in Orange County where I live has different rules for vacation rules. The cities with the most tourists, which are Anaheim, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach, San Juan Capistrano and San Clemente have the strictest rules.

Only Newport Beach, which has a long tradition of vacation rentals going back nearly a century, has laxer rules.

We know people who almost lost their properties in Waikiki and Kailua because of the crack down from the county of Honolulu.

15 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Yes it has an effect on the renter if the week before they leave, they are told the unit has been shut down because it was illegal. They now have round trip airfare, car reservations, reservations for the USS Arizona, Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, tours and now they have no place to stay. They might be able to find something else to stay in last minute.... or not, but it is likely to be more expensive at the last minute.

Does Airbnb find you a new unit? They can't find, what isn't available. Oh sure they will give you a refund, but that does nothing for the other expenses incurred and the wasted reservations.

Under the current policy, the renter is 100% protected.  But you seem to not want to understand this simple fact. If the CEO of Airbnb, himself said "100% a legal unit and guests are 100% protected ".  I believe you would still find fault. Cannot ever please some people. 

6 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Under the current policy, the renter is 100% protected.  But you seem to not want to understand this simple fact.

The renter is not 100% protected if they do not have a unit to stay in when they get to Hawaii. That is a simple fact you refuse to acknowledge. I have seen that very thing happen to people, especially in renting units in Kailua or in Discovery Bay in Waikiki.

6 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

If the CEO of Airbnb, himself said "100% a legal unit and guests are 100% protected ".  I believe you would still find fault. Cannot ever please some people.

I know Brian Chesky, he is a respected member of the SF business community and I know he would not say something so foolish. Brian would say "we do our best to make sure every unit complies with local laws and regulations and we strive to make things right when they do not."

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

To get back on the subject-check out Surfjack hotel. Offsite parking but no charge. Large “bungalow” rooms. It’s not on the beach but only a few easily walkable blocks away. We stayed here one night before our week at our timeshare started (as an owner at Waikiki Banyan we didn’t have parking fee here-might want to check TUG -Timeshare user group-for rentals). 
if you do want to rent a car check out Discount Hawaii Car Rentals. By far the lowest prices with all the major rental agencies (yes lower than than the perfect Costco 🤣)