Complaint about Blu

OnTheJourney

DW and I just did the May 6 sailing on the Summit out of Bayonne. It was the 2nd time we elected to do Aqua Class being that the first time, several years ago, we really enjoyed eating there. This time, however, it wasn't quite the same experience. My main complaint is that, instead of opening at 5:30 as stated, they decided to always open much earlier because of the line of people that forms. What seems to have happened on the cruise is that people start hanging around already by 4:30, and by 4:45 there's already a line. That's crazy. I think Blu got themselves into a bad situation by opening early for these folks. Then, if you get there by like 5:15 or even shortly after 5:00, forget about any hechance of getting a window seat, which is one of the things we really enjoyed the first time. I was dumbfounded to get there one of the first nights close to 5:30 and saw that the restuarant was not only already open but basically nearly every table full. I questioned it several times but was always told that "since there's a long line that forms they decide to open early". I say...the heck with these people that show up nearly an hour early. Let 'em wait!  I think they should stick to the 5:30 time. People would quickly come to realize that there's little point of gathering with their cocktails that long before the scheduled opening time! It was most disappointing. 

We're thinking that we might not even do it again and instead go back to MTD unless it still only starts at 6:00. So another issue is that, by letting people in early, they're really not ready. Several evenings the wait staff came around apologizing that the bread wasn't made yet and so would arrive a bit later. My wife had salmon the one night that was way undercooked. Another somewhat unrelated issue is that the food was, for the most part, barely warm most of the time. Same for breakfast. Everything cooled off really quick. We've never done suite level so maybe that would be worth a try. NO complaints about the service in Blu (except for being considerably longer between courses than was the case on other cruises) and the food was, generally speaking, quite good.

As to Aqua in general, not sure it's worth it as much as before. We don't use the spa at all, and I generally get to the persian garden at least once. We chose Aqua both times basically for Blu. Used to be (really good) iced tea in the room each day and always some sort of 'nibbles' brought to the room in the afternoon. This time, nada. I realize all lines have cut back on amenities, but, what was I paying all the extra money for? Several nights I ordered from the MDR menu anyway. It just was not quite the experience we expected for the extra money. Anybody else experience similar? 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would be really disappointed if they opened the doors early. 

The 'seat the early birds' in the window section is a problem, in my opinion. We've sailed in AQ about a dozen times and some hosts/hostesses do a better job of seating than others.  I know that they want everyone to stay with the same team of servers so my thinking is that they need to rotate the servers AND passengers throughout the sections so one group of lucky people isn't given window seats while others are stuck on the back wall. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

We really didn't like it and will surely say something on the survey!  

6 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

The 'seat the early birds' in the window section is a problem, in my opinion

Agree completely. I think it's a problem too. And the last night, the hostess took us right by what was the only remaining window table and instead to a table near the back (2nd next to window). I really should have said something I guess. It made me wonder if someone had given specific recommendations for a window seat that they were honoring. First night they seated us at a table we really weren't happy with - the location nor the chatty couple next to us - but I had to say something or we would  have wound up there every night. For that last evening meal, somehow our service got linked to the couple next to us at the window table. Our meal dragged on for two hours while these other people had like two appetizers and not sure what else, but it seemed our courses were delayed to coincide with when theirs arrived. That's not right either. DW and I are both thinking might as well go back to the MDR. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

so one group of lucky people isn't given window seats while others are stuck on the back wall. 

I seem to recall getting there about 5:30 the first time we did this, no lines or else very few waiting, got in, got a window table, and really enjoyed it. If the schedule says they open at 5:30, then if one arrives at 5:25 there should not be ANY passengers in the restaurant yet, let alone nearly full already with people well into their first course (but without bread cause, like I said, it wasn't ready yet). Not the Celebrity experience I was hoping for. 

That is a dilemma for sure.  If they let the line form, then the entire place will be seated at essentially the same time (when they open) which will cause problems too.  I have no idea what a good solution is.  

I like that they seat you at/near the same place with the same staff each night but it is unfair that some people end up with a view every time and others never.  

• Like 3

I 100% agree.  I did not like the food at Blu at all.  Ended up ordering off of the MDR menu.  Persian garden was always filled.  I agree with what am I exactly paying for?  One and done for us.  Plus we had to wait 1x for 30 minutes.  Apparently suite guests had a large party that took up 12 seats on a formal night.  Never was placed near a window.  No privacy to enjoy a quiet conversation.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, debsjc said:

It's strange people would want to eat that early. I would wait till they had all gone, and go in around 7.30-8pm 

That’s exactly my thoughts. It’s so strange to queue from 4.45pm. Did these people not go ashore in the ports?  They must start getting ready for dinner mid afternoon and have very early pre dinner drinks. Presumably this was a US or Caribbean cruise as it would be unusual for passengers to dine so early on a European cruise. 
I also don’t think they have grounds to complain if the bread isn’t ready if they’re going before the restaurant is officially open. 

• Like 1

Just now, debsjc said:

In southern Europe they would still be having lunch at 2-3pm! 

Yes and so would we when we’re there!  Even though we eat dinner at 6pm at home we’d never eat that early on a cruise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, debsjc said:

It's strange people would want to eat that early. I would wait till they had all gone, and go in around 7.30-8pm 

We eat at 5pm AST at home. I am up at 6am daily so I still want my meal close to 5 but can hold off until 6. Once 7pm comes my desire for food has past.  And yes there are many like this. There is no changing the internal clock for many!. I have never slept in. We are not strange

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

The 'seat the early birds' in the window section is a problem, in my opinion. We've sailed in AQ about a dozen times and some hosts/hostesses do a better job of seating than others.  I know that they want everyone to stay with the same team of servers so my thinking is that they need to rotate the servers AND passengers throughout the sections so one group of lucky people isn't given window seats while others are stuck on the back wall. 

How are they supposed to seat the windows other than first come first serve? It wouldn't be right to have 10 couples ahead of you and let 2 have window seats and then hold back for the next 8 so you could have a window seat. I don't think the letting people in at 4:45 is necessarily a problem - if they didn't, the same line would still form and the OP would show up at 5:30 and not get sat until 6 while they seated everyone in front of them.

It sounds to me like the complaint was that they arrived at 5:30 to find that they weren't first in line. That is outside of the cruise's control. It appears that there just happened to be many early eaters on this particular cruise. Had Blu not opened early, the complaint would have been that when they arrived at 5:30 there was a very long line and it took forever to get a seat and service while the servers tried to take care of a full dining room all sat at the same time. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I’m sure this is the opposite of many, but I don’t really care to sit by the window in Luminae or Blu.  It’s not a clear view out because the windows distort things and after it gets dark, it’s not like you can see anything.  Give me the best server any night over a window. 

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I really don’t get the problem. All I read is that someone would rather stand in line at 5:30pm than give anyone else a chance to dine before him. Even if it doesn‘t make any difference. Weird IMHO 🤷🏻

As to window seats. One of the most used points of Blu critics on E class is that there’s no view. So why the race to a window seat.

We enjoyed every one of our meals in Blu on E class. No matter where we sit and even though we tend to eat around 7pm which is rush hour at the restaurants. So far they even always managed to give us the same wait team - without us asking for it - by sometimes dynamically rearranging sections. 

if anyone wants to eat at a time way too early for us and even before regular hours and gets the chance… all I can say is Bon Appetit!

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Blu did the right thing to open early if people are there 

I don't agree with this at all. I think it makes for problems best avoided by sticking to a set opening time. 

43 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

One of the most used points of Blu critics on E class is that there’s no view. So why the race to a window seat.

Why no view?  It's no different than the view from a balcony room on that particular side of the ship? 

45 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

All I read is that someone would rather stand in line at 5:30pm than give anyone else a chance to dine before him

No, it's not that. I really don't think you'd have as long a line forming if they stuck to the 5:30 opening time. How far will they go with this? Suppose the line starts forming at 4:00. Will they then start to open at 4:30? Then, a few cruises later the line might start forming even earlier, etc. Agreed that on this cruise there may well have been a good number of early eaters (us old folks!) I'll admit to part of my concern being to hopefully get a window seat, but also the waitstaff should not have to go around and apologize that the bread baskets aren't ready yet because of the early opening. We DO like to eat around 5:30 since then we can get to the 7:00 show. 9:00 show is later than we prefer. At home we eat by 5-5:30 and so prefer to continue doing so on a cruise. 

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Blu did the right thing to open early if people are there 

I fail to see why. In that case, what about the other restaurants?  You'll get to the point where the stated dining (opening) times as listed on the daily planner are no longer accurate. Suppose the theatre would decide to start a show earlier just because a long line has formed? Now you've got people who'll be ticked off because they planned to get there close to 7 and the show has already started 10 minutes ago. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

How are they supposed to seat the windows other than first come first serve? It wouldn't be right to have 10 couples ahead of you and let 2 have window seats and then hold back for the next 8 so you could have a window seat. I don't think the letting people in at 4:45 is necessarily a problem - if they didn't, the same line would still form and the OP would show up at 5:30 and not get sat until 6 while they seated everyone in front of them.

I'm only going by my previous experience with Blu. I've only done this twice so far. Got there by roughly 5:20 every evening and basically NO lines. Restaurant opened at 5:30 and everyone goes in. I think we had a window seat each time. And, your second statement, while it makes sense, didn't hold out that way. The last night there WAS a window seat open yet. We were the next couple to enter the room and the host did NOT take us to that seat. Instead, one of the next couples behind us got it. My faultl for not saying anything I guess. So I suspect they're trying to keep people at the same tables if possible so as to be with the same waitstaff. Had I not said something after the first night, we would have been stuck at a table right near the entrance next to a couple that would have driven me crazy every night. 

I think my largest complaint, besides this seating issue, is the barely warm food. All of this is probably an unfair comparison coming from a recent Viking cruise, which is simply a few steps up from X or RCL anyway. Admittedly, there was also a line that formed before dinner on Viking, but it didn't take long AND they only started seating at the stated time. Different situation entirely with far fewer passengers. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

4 hours ago, barneyboy said:

It’s so strange to queue from 4.45pm. Did these people not go ashore in the ports?  They must start getting ready for dinner mid afternoon and have very early pre dinner drinks. Presumably this was a US or Caribbean cruise
I also don’t think they have grounds to complain if the bread isn’t ready if they’re going before the restaurant is officially open. 

Let me address these points. I agree completely on the early queue. It was certainly not our choice to start getting ready for dinner by 4:00 but almost felt we had to if we had any chance of getting a window seat. Wouldn't and won't do it again. Probably won't do Aqua again.

Yes...it was US cruise out of Bayonne.

As for the bread, the situation with it not being ready is BLU's issue, not the passengers. Simple solution..don't "officially open" until 5:30, at which time the bread should be there and ready.  I think another thing that was happening is that I suspect there were groups of people who all knew each other, and so many were seated on the benches outside the restaurant with their drinks, etc. chatting away. Just seemed like many people sitting next to each other on 2-tops all knew each other. OR....is Blu somehow catering to suite guests who they know are arriving that evening? You'd certainly want to give window seats to those folks before us lowly Aqua guests. 😆 I just think Blu is inviting more problems than advantages by opening as early as 30 minnutes before stated time. Apparently most here don't see it that way. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

10 hours ago, Octavias said:

I like that they seat you at/near the same place with the same staff each night

I really don't care if I'm with the same waitstaff every evening or not. Yeah, they get to know your name, and that's nice and all, but you can wind up being stuck at a location in the restaurant that you really don't care for. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Apparently suite guests had a large party that took up 12 seats on a formal night.  Never was placed near a window.  No privacy to enjoy a quiet conversation.  

Exactly...previous time it felt much more intimate and quiet. Oh well, post pandemic lots of things about cruising has changed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, debsjc said:

This is my plan also..I enjoy dining in Blu…go later, never an issue. 

I will say opening early makes zero sense to me. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

It sounds to me like the complaint was that they arrived at 5:30 to find that they weren't first in line. That is outside of the cruise's control. It appears that there just happened to be many early eaters on this particular cruise. Had Blu not opened early, the complaint would have been that when they arrived at 5:30 there was a very long line and it took forever to get a seat and service while the servers tried to take care of a full dining room all sat at the same time. 

We've sailed in AQ over a dozen times and some hosts/hostesses do a better job than others. A few times we have had hostesses in Blu who had superior skills in assigning seating. They didn't fill all the window seats first, they scattered people around the restaurant. That opens up the possibility for those who come at different times to be seated in a section they prefer PLUS it scatters the patrons so all of the servers have people in their sections all of the time. This is not difficult - it is done in restaurants all of the time. 

As to early opening, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the servers weren't pleased with the hostess for opening the doors early. Those folks work lunch in other facilities and they aren't exactly given a lot of time off between shifts so 30 minutes can make a big difference. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

As to early opening, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the servers weren't pleased with the hostess for opening the doors early. Those folks work lunch in other facilities and they aren't exactly given a lot of time off between shifts so 30 minutes can make a big difference. 

Great point. I think what maybe happened is that those who got window seats on the first night already as a result of this early opening probably wound up getting them the rest of the cruise.