Move over offer

teh3505

Just received a "Move Over Offer" from Princess for our cruise on 05/20/2023, tomorrow.  It's on the Caribbean Princess

The offer:.Princess is extending a special FREE cruise offer to guests booked on the May 20 Caribbean Princess sailing Move to an alternate 7 DAY Caribbean sailing and Receive: - 100% of cruise fare back (as refundable onboard credit) on your new cruise. any unspent amount will be sent home via check post cruise. - You have up to 2 years to re-book. - Princess EZ air will be fully protected. - Princess will protect your current cruise fare and any amenities & Packages on your cruise. - Princess will protect up to $300 per person for private travel expenses. This offer is only available by emailing PrincessOffers@PrincessCruises.com Please act quickly as this offer has limited availability and will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.

Where is the incentive to even consider this offer, less than 24 hours before sailing, or did I read this wrong?     

Edited by teh3505

26 minutes ago, teh3505 said:

Just received a "Move Over Offer" from Princess for our cruise on 05/20/2023, tomorrow.  It's on the Caribbean Princess

The offer:.Princess is extending a special FREE cruise offer to guests booked on the May 20 Caribbean Princess sailing Move to an alternate 7 DAY Caribbean sailing and Receive: - 100% of cruise fare back (as refundable onboard credit) on your new cruise. any unspent amount will be sent home via check post cruise. - You have up to 2 years to re-book. - Princess EZ air will be fully protected. - Princess will protect your current cruise fare and any amenities & Packages on your cruise. - Princess will protect up to $300 per person for private travel expenses. This offer is only available by emailing PrincessOffers@PrincessCruises.com Please act quickly as this offer has limited availability and will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.

Where is the incentive to even consider this offer, less than 24 hours before sailing, or did I read this wrong?     

Free cruise (at current fare) PLUS 100$ REFUNDABLE OBC

17 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

PLUS what you paid in cruise fare as refundable credit on the next cruise ... if you can do it, it's a beautiful thing - we went from a 5 day western on the Crown to a 7 day eastern on the Regal - one week later

• Like 2

I agree. If you have not already started travelling away from your home, and there are not a whole bunch of moving parts to this booking for you - AND you can travel at another time - GO FOR IT! I accepted a move-over offer once before and hope its happens to me again one day. Win-win - if you can do it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

OOPS...Should have been 100%.  I need a refresher typing class.  Is that even offered anymore.  Thanks @voljeep for being my editor.  

• Haha 2

We happily accepted a Move Over Offer for our April 22 Mediterranean cruise.  The rep that we spoke to on the phone couldn’t have been nicer or more efficient.  We are now booked on the June 24 cruise with the same itinerary.  She even found us a mini suite on the new cruise that is a little bigger than the one we had and she rebooked our EZ Air flights and told us that Princess would absorb the extra cost for the new flights since air fare has gone up lately.  This all transpired two days before we were to fly to Rome for our original cruise.  Fortunately, we are retired and flexible.  It doesn’t get much better than that.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, avonlady6390 said:

It seems to me princess should have sent offers to people in Florida since it would probably more of a chance someone might be able to do it even the day before the cruise no flight would be involved.

They probably sent it to multiple cruisers, Florida included.

Wow - what a great deal if you could work it out!  But 24 hours prior...  Living close to the port, being retired, and not having the animals already in a kennel would make a difference 🙂  Not sure how we'd react - except for all our upcoming cruises we will have flown to the port city while the email was coming in 🙂

Edited by bjkTX
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, mevs904 said:

We happily accepted a Move Over Offer for our April 22 Mediterranean cruise.  The rep that we spoke to on the phone couldn’t have been nicer or more efficient.  We are now booked on the June 24 cruise with the same itinerary.  She even found us a mini suite on the new cruise that is a little bigger than the one we had and she rebooked our EZ Air flights and told us that Princess would absorb the extra cost for the new flights since air fare has gone up lately.  This all transpired two days before we were to fly to Rome for our original cruise.  Fortunately, we are retired and flexible.  It doesn’t get much better than that.

See you onboard!

Yes, fpsphil, perhaps we’ll meet.  Hoping for good weather.  As it turned out, the weather for our original cruise was marginal at best—58 degrees and rain on our scheduled Istanbul day.  Being on deck should be a lot more pleasant in June.

• Like 1

We should be on a Viking Med cruise right now but they offered us a move notice with a weeks notice:

• Full refund including airfare on current cruise
  • Discount on next cruise within two years matching dollars spent on this cruise
  • Free Upgrade to the next cabin category
  • Match current airfare purchased through Viking (Business in our case)
  • Drink package

You can bet we took it!  We are looking at some Princess deals with the refund.

• Like 3

The representative that we worked with said that they were significantly overbooked.  Apparently the algorithm that they usually use didn’t work and they had more bookings than they expected.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mevs904 said:

The representative that we worked with said that they were significantly overbooked.  Apparently the algorithm that they usually use didn’t work and they had more bookings than they expected.

Myst be all those GTY cabins they are selling now.

• Like 2

I think this offer becomes more attractive and viable if it has been offered for balconies, mini-suites, Club Class Mini's and above.  At that level of refund, one could still enjoy a short vacation in the embarkation city (Probably Fort Lauderdale), get a full refund and a free cruise on a later date.  I'm not sure that it would be as attractive for an inside - that refund might not cover the costs of a hotel stay in South Florida, car rental and air change fees. JMHO  

It will be interesting to see how many of these offers they make. Overbooking seems to be becoming more prevalent. The same offer was made to a number of passengers 2 days before my recent Sky Princess cruise.

Will cruise ships become like airlines and what will they do if no one bites.

I would be interested in finding out what categories of cabins received the move over offers.

When going through the online booking process, I do not see GTY as an option.  I do see where they offer to assign your cabin for you, but it looks like they are still asking the same price for the fare.  Is that what a GTY is?

Edited by Daniel A

35 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I would be interested in finding out what categories of cabins received the move over offers.

When going through the online booking process, I do not see GTY as an option.  I do see where they offer to assign your cabin for you, but it looks like they are still asking the same price for the fare.  Is that what a GTY is?

Yes, that’s a GTY. In most cases the fare is a little lower if they select the cabin for you.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Yes, it is.

I think your seeing that same price, only because these May/June Caribbean PCL are probably sold out.  It’s more advantageous for them to let you pick a cabin hat is left.  But, if it’s sold out, it’s a non issue.  Also, the program is set up already in this format.

Normally, it’s less for a GTY (Princess chooses for you).  But, sold out is a different story.  

If I were on one of these cruises, I would possibly expect a call.  Balcony, OV or whatever category, really depends on what area they are oversold.  They will work all the bidding first to maximize the profits, then work on GTY rooms.  If oversold and no last minute cancellations, they will need to do move overs.  Interesting job.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1