How far is Dublin (Dun Laoghaire) train station from the cruise port (tender port)

Hi, we are going on a 12-day British Isles Cruise with Orkney Islands on the Regal Princess in August. The Dublin stop (Dun Laoghaire) is a tender port. We were hoping to take the train into the City Centre and explore on our own rather than do a shore excursion (maybe do a hop-on, hop-off bus or a walking tour), but I've seen conflicting information about how far away the Dun Laoghaire train station is from where we would get off the boat. Some sources say it's a 5-minute walk, others say it's 4 miles from the pier and a 20 Euro taxi ride.

I think the confusion is because this is a tender stop, and I'm not sure, but it seems like other cruises that stop in Dun Laoghaire may be docked, so not sure if they stop in two different locations.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

23 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

It’s the former. The station is a very short walk. Regular trains into Dublin city centre.

Thanks so much for confirming, I really appreciate it . 

10 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Here is a map of the location.  It is very close.  The Red X is where the tenders drop you ashore and the DART station is underlined in Red.

DunLaoghaireTender.thumb.jpg.be38371cb440d3c0e039729ed731dff6.jpg

Thanks so much for the map, it’s very helpful. 🙂

Edited by twee1
Typo
  • Like 1

We did this last week. It was an easy walk with signs available to follow. Just when you exit the port area, you will encounter a tourist information stall. The people manning it were friendly, provided maps and advice.

You may wish to consider ordering a Leap all day pass in advance. It was eight euros per person. I actually received ours in just over a week. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, niknot said:

We did this last week. It was an easy walk with signs available to follow. Just when you exit the port area, you will encounter a tourist information stall. The people manning it were friendly, provided maps and advice.

You may wish to consider ordering a Leap all day pass in advance. It was eight euros per person. I actually received ours in just over a week. 

Thanks for this helpful info! I’m glad everything was easy to find and will look into the Leap pass. 

5 hours ago, mskaufman said:

What did the Leap pass include?

The Leap Visitor Card includes (per the website):

• All Dublin Bus scheduled services (not valid on tours)
  • Go-Ahead Ireland Dublin City services
  • All Luas (tram) services
  • DART and Commuter Rail in the Short Hop Zone (all of Dublin city and county)

Essentially, all the public transport you’ll need in Dublin 😃

It includes local buses, trams, Dart and commuter rail in the immediate area around Dublin. The official name is Leap Visitor Card.

The main bonus for us was that we didn’t need to join the queue at the ticket machine.

For some reason, my copy paste function is not working, so do a search for Leap visitor card Dublin and the website will show up.

Cotswold Eagle was faster than I was with a reply. Thanks.

Edited by niknot
Additional information.

Would I be able to use the public transportation to go to the Kilmainham Gaol from the port or would a taxi be better.   I see that the gaol is not in the city center.   

22 hours ago, VA2002 said:

Would I be able to use the public transportation to go to the Kilmainham Gaol from the port or would a taxi be better.   I see that the gaol is not in the city center.   

Yes you could use public transport (get the Leap Visitor Card).

The transport journey planner recommends Dart and bus....

https://www.journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/journey-planner?origin={"name":"Dun Laoghaire Dart Station, Dun Laoghaire Dart Station, Crofton Road, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin, A96N7C6","coordinate":{"latitude":53.2949116846326,"longitude":-6.13448230577507},"type":"ADDRESS","eastingnorthing":"32443787,22877500"}&destination={"name":"Kilmainham Gaol (97)","coordinate":{"latitude":53.3421088,"longitude":-6.3101689},"type":"ADDRESS","eastingnorthing":"31260019,23373569"}

However, personally,  I would take the Dart to Connolly Station and then get the Luas (tram) Red Line from Connolly as far as the Suir Road Stop and from there walk about 800m/0.5mile to the goal.

It's been a while since I've been at a tender port, so am wondering how far in advance you need to be back at the cruise port in order to comfortably catch the tenders back to the ship? The ship departs Dublin at 7 p.m. so wasn't sure what time we would need to be back the cruise port. 

Check the day of the week you arrive in port as if it is a Sunday like our day in Dublin, apparently Dart trains commence no earlier than around 9. We arrive in port at 7 but with the water shuttle to the pier, chances are it will be 9 before we reach the train anyways.  I like the idea of the Leap Visitor pass. Will also look into that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Follow up. We were in Dublin on a Sunday and the first Dart did not leave until 9 19 am so we took the bus which was sitting right outside train station at a cost of 2.60 per person. Took 20 min and left at 8 20 am. Dropped off very near to Trinity College and took train from Pearse back to pier. Lovely city. Spent whole day walking city seeing all the sights.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 1:58 PM, twee1 said:

Hi, we are going on a 12-day British Isles Cruise with Orkney Islands on the Regal Princess in August. The Dublin stop (Dun Laoghaire) is a tender port. We were hoping to take the train into the City Centre and explore on our own rather than do a shore excursion (maybe do a hop-on, hop-off bus or a walking tour), but I've seen conflicting information about how far away the Dun Laoghaire train station is from where we would get off the boat. Some sources say it's a 5-minute walk, others say it's 4 miles from the pier and a 20 Euro taxi ride.

I think the confusion is because this is a tender stop, and I'm not sure, but it seems like other cruises that stop in Dun Laoghaire may be docked, so not sure if they stop in two different locations.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

We were just on a 12 day Oceania cruise...at the Dun Laoghaire stop, we walked from tender to the DART train...with my bad knees it took under 10 min.  Took the train into city...got a round trup ticket at the vending machine.....about half hour....we walked to the HOHO bus....we had also booked the Guinness Storehouse Tour.     Had great excursions in Belfast, Portland, Kirkwall, Liverpool,  Holyhead. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2023 at 4:26 PM, pink845 said:

Follow up. We were in Dublin on a Sunday and the first Dart did not leave until 9 19 am so we took the bus which was sitting right outside train station at a cost of 2.60 per person. Took 20 min and left at 8 20 am. Dropped off very near to Trinity College and took train from Pearse back to pier. Lovely city. Spent whole day walking city seeing all the sights.

Was the bus part of the leap card or did your have to pay separately? Also what cruise line were you with?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...