New Suite Deposit Calculation Policy

Saw this posted on Royal board and was hoping it didn’t apply to Celebrity. Unfortunately it is fleetwide.  I now have zero reason to book on board. The reduced SS deposit was the largest factor. 

This plus the change in NRD policy will certainly affect our booking pattern and volume. 

I find it comical that in the FAQ, #10, they use a $2000 Sky Suite for a 6-9 night cruise as an example.  .😂😂😂😂

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Haha 6

That pretty much nixed any further suite bookings for us. The very high suite prices and the high cost of a refundable deposit combined with a 10% deposit, just priced suutes out of our comfort zone.

• Like 4

I have a suite for my next sailing but had a good deal but there's no way I would afford it with 10% down especially with the current prices - my next sailing a suite lower than mine is now going for $7,000 CA more than what I'm paying. 

Non refundable other lines are doing (I have a non refundable for MSC I did a few weeks back but my downpayment was $200) but 10% is just steep especially when for example I haven't even booked time off of work yet for the next cruise (I can't request until Sept 1) so can imagine people have booked and had to cancel because of work or other commitments

I am more concerned with the recent cost of suites , seems next year is about 1k more per person than last year for a sky suite on edge class. We will continue to book suites but MSc yacht club is looking real good now.

• Like 2

In Celebrity’s defence ( and no doubt others will follow) I am sure it has to do with people booking multiple cruises which they may (may not) have any intention of actually taking, but are playing the waiting game - hoping that the price will decrease prior to final payment.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, RD64 said:

In Celebrity’s defence ( and no doubt others will follow) I am sure it has to do with people booking multiple cruises which they may (may not) have any intention of actually taking, but are playing the waiting game - hoping that the price will decrease prior to final payment.

Directionally, I agree and if this was the only recent change I would agree that may be the primary reason. But there have been 5 rather substantial changes recently that make me believe that it may be as much about cash flow as changing booking patterns.

1) Substantial differences between NRD and RD prices;

2) Change to NRD policy to make entire deposit at risk for a cancellation;

3) Dramatic increase in Suite prices for all forward-looking bookings;

4) Change in dollar level of deposit from $250pp ($100 pp if done on board) to 10% of cruise fare, and;

5) Shortened timeframe to choose ship/date for an open booking done on board. 

For us, here is a recent example. We did an open booking on board Beyond in February. In March, we booked the Beyond Nov 2024 TA in a Sky Suite. Deposit = $200. If the new rules had been in effect at that time, our deposit would have been around $1,200. Based on today's price for that cruise, the deposit is $1,540. 

Either item 1), 2), or 4) would have achieved the effect you stated. I think all five together point to multiple goals for X. 

I do know that the five changes together mean we will book fewer suites, not book as far in advance as we have, and will not book on board. I am sure other folks will gladly take our place in line.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Guest 4-2-N-8

Ten percent deposit is a big deal?

Cunard is 25% deposit on their top Queens Grill suites. I've got two of them booked on QM2 for two different westbound Transatlantics and this deposit amount seems very reasonable. I suspect Cunard wants serious takers with every intent of traveling. 

I've read (in this CC Celebrity forum) that there are those who simply reserve staterooms, only to "hold" them until they "might" move forward.

I call it room reservation "chair hogging," especially at the top suites level, which limits selection for us longer-term planners.

I scratch my head wondering if ten percent is a problem, how is the other 90 percent not a problem? It's all the same price to board the ship.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, RD64 said:

For whatever reason they do it, it is still chair (stateroom) hogging.

Very disrespectful to those who plan well and would always choose those top suites, if/when available when forecasting travel.

Makes sense to me, and I would extend it to all categories, why should the person booking a $25,000 room pay the same deposit as one booking a $10,000 room, and why should a person booking a $2,000 room pay the same as a person booking a $800 room?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Glad I had the opportunity to enjoy a suite SR on Celebrity while I had the chance!

Not sure how this will play out for us in future bookings...but I'm sure to do even more research than I already do!! So it goes...

• Like 2

We rarely do suites.  We do have an Xpedition Suite for our upcoming Galapagos trip in Nov.  We already deposited $900 x 2 which exceeds the 10% of the total fare.  We are looking forward to it although no Retreat Area (I may have to tape one off on the floor and deck just like Les Nessman would).

ETg8MuCXYAA1MuR?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by mahdnc
  • Haha 9

23 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Makes sense to me, and I would extend it to all categories, why should the person booking a $25,000 room pay the same deposit as one booking a $10,000 room, and why should a person booking a $2,000 room pay the same as a person booking a $800 room?

If you book a $2000  cabin your deposit is $900 all most 45%, 

on a $20,000 cabin you are paying the same $900   Only 5% 

not very fair 

IMG_5598.thumb.png.b297179c3ec51bfa57289061e0ddb2d3.png
IMG_5599.thumb.png.e5994d0ed85b7e174d42574b2c1480ce.png

• Like 1

I am puzzled by it all.  We paid a $900 deposit each onboard for our next Sky Suite cruise.  I just did a dummy booking on the same ship for a Royal Suite and it still shows a $900 per person deposit. 

1 minute ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

If you book a $2000  cabin your deposit is $900 all most 45%, 

on a $20,000 cabin you are paying the same $900   Only 5% 

not very fair 

IMG_5598.thumb.png.b297179c3ec51bfa57289061e0ddb2d3.png
IMG_5599.thumb.png.e5994d0ed85b7e174d42574b2c1480ce.png

Wow.  So if Celebrity ran a sale on inside cabins, it would be even more unfair.

7 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I am puzzled by it all.  We paid a $900 deposit each onboard for our next Sky Suite cruise.  I just did a dummy booking on the same ship for a Royal Suite and it still shows a $900 per person deposit. 

New suite deposit policy goes into effect on Jun1.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

Just now, mahdnc said:

Suite deposit policy goes into effect on Jun1.

Ah - oh well, guess my DW will have to live without Luminae or let me spend more of our children's inheritance  🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

Ah - oh well, guess my DW will have to live without Luminae or let me spend more of our children's inheritance  🙂 

Think of the new suite deposit policy as a "lower final payment program" (but don't cancel if it is NRD).

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My question is this.  If I book a cruise in a suite after 6/1 and move it, does the full cancelation apply?  I thought a few weeks ago X changed the deposit policy to cancelation resulted in forfeit of full deposit, but moving it still incurred a 100.00 per person charge.  Is moving and cancelling still different?  Or now will I lose it all and have to make a new deposit?

37 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

My question is this.  If I book a cruise in a suite after 6/1 and move it, does the full cancelation apply?  I thought a few weeks ago X changed the deposit policy to cancelation resulted in forfeit of full deposit, but moving it still incurred a 100.00 per person charge.  Is moving and cancelling still different?  Or now will I lose it all and have to make a new deposit?

When we changed the dates on a cruise we had booked just two days earlier we only had to pay the $100.00 per person fee, not a full cancellation.  Our FCC and deposit transferred over seamlessly. 

3 hours ago, RD64 said:

Agree! And several other variations on that theme. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1