The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday May 25th, 2023

richwmn

4 hours ago, dfish said:

I am home!   

The doctor was waiting on a couple tests.  He said I had a lot of scar tissue from the gall bladder surgery and it took over an hour to get through that so they could lift the liver up and get to the adrenal gland.   He also repaired a hernia I didn't know I had.  The best news is that my cortisol levels are normal and I don't have to take steroids.  But I did have the entire Daily behind me so I was sure there would be a positive outcome.  

This surgery is going to take a bit longer to recover from than the parathyroids did.  But, I'll get there!

Thank you to everyone for your prayers, encouragement, and well wishes.   It meant a lot to me.  I love my Daily family.

Great news, rest and take care.

• Like 8

@kochleffelThank you for the tom Lehrer.  I still have the albums, and was rocking out to Hanukkah in Santa Monica, when I lost the connection.  Yes I understand that someone who has problems with dairy would not enjoy this holiday.  I would be in cheesecake heaven, if we had any, but DH and I have only made it to the store to buy enough for a couple of days, and then the power went out for more than 12 hours, and except for eggs every thing got tossed.  Luckily there wasn't much to toss, and tonight the best I could do was heat a can of chicken noodle soup.

@grapau27DH wants to cruise around England.  I figure you of all people would be able to tell me the best line to look at.  We are not into large ships, we so want to see the islands north of mainland Scotland, or Guernsey.  I of course would love to visit your church, (not sure that is a ship excursion, but it should be)  Any ideas?

• Like 9

Debbie @dfish happy to hear you are home and will get some rest tonight.  Thankful that everything looks good for you now.  

Gerry @ger_77 happy birthday celebration day!  Hope everything was perfect for you and DH.

Speaking of DH, mine is ready to hit the hay already.  DS is picking up his cousin Lisa now and I'm afraid we won't be up for much conversation tonight. See you tomorrow!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting the HAL Fleet locations and the Daily.

Have not been to Gibraltar.

@ger_77  Happy alternate Birthday, may you have many many more.

@dfish  good that you are safely home, you will have a much better sleep in your own bed.

It's a sunny but windy Autumn day.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good evening after a very long day.  The outside of the house is basically clean.  I just have to get more house wash.  The top rows of siding are 15 to19 feet high.  The pressure washer even with an extension on the wand doesn't reach the area well enough to get it clean, and I didn't have enough house wash to get some areas as clean as I wanted.  I'll finish the last bit of siding tomorrow and the restof the port floor.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get everything put back in place tomorrow too.

11 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Lenda, my Gibralter port visits also started with the Noordam III in 2003. Thanks for sharing your pics.  

I returned in 2014 on the Rotterdam VI and then again on a ship still in the fleet (which is making me feel old as so many of my days were on ones that are not) just last year at this time on the Nieuw Statendam.  The  Bolette, our former Amsterdam, pulled up next to us as were there.  

I understand how you feel.  All our stops at Gibraltar were on BHBs that are no longer in the fleet.  I hope your recovery is going well.

11 hours ago, dfish said:

Good mid day!

I am still in the hospital.  My surgeon has gone missing, it seems.  The nurse talked to him this am and he said he wanted to get me discharged this morning, but we've heard nothing since.

Surgery took longer than they expected because of the amount of scar tissue from previous surgery. But, the tumor is out and surgeon said it did not look suspicious. He sent it to pathology just to be sure. My biggest problem is the gas they pump into you.  That is causing most of the discomfort.  

As for a restful night, who are we kidding?  This is a hospital.  They had those leg squeezers on me and they dinged each time the let go.  I'm right across from the nurses desk and something is always singing or ringing or squealing.  I did manage to sleep for a few hours after they administered pain medication.  I can't wait to get home.

Happy Birthday, @ger_77!

Debbie, I'm glad they got all the tumor and that it did not look suspicious.  DH can relate to being across from the nurses station.  After three nights in ICU, he was looking forward to a good night's sleep in a private, room.  He wasn't counting on being across from the nurse's station.

7 hours ago, dfish said:

I am home!   

The doctor was waiting on a couple tests.  He said I had a lot of scar tissue from the gall bladder surgery and it took over an hour to get through that so they could lift the liver up and get to the adrenal gland.   He also repaired a hernia I didn't know I had.  The best news is that my cortisol levels are normal and I don't have to take steroids.  But I did have the entire Daily behind me so I was sure there would be a positive outcome.  

This surgery is going to take a bit longer to recover from than the parathyroids did.  But, I'll get there!

Thank you to everyone for your prayers, encouragement, and well wishes.   It meant a lot to me.  I love my Daily family.

Debbie, I'll celebtate the good news that the  cortisol levels are normal.  Sleep well in your own bed, and take it easy while healing.

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda, I did not post photos that day since as I said I wanted to let everyone have the fun of posting their favorite Gibraltar photos instead.  I have too many to choose from.  So many visits there, I wish I could see Tangier sometime instead!

Sandi, I figured not posting pictures was intentional.  I posted your comments so everyone would know what happend.  For us, if we skipped Gibraltar going into the Mediterranean, we stopped at Ceuta, Spanish Morocco. 

4 hours ago, durangoscots said:

@dfishGlad  your surgery went well and that you are home and hopefully can get some rest.

I am taking today to rest although I had to go out to the shelter to sign checks..... the current Board does not have its act together and I am still on the accounts. Otherwise the only thing I have gotten accomplished is dog walking and hanging up the clothes I washed yesterday. Tomorrow I will have to get cracking on more house sorting.

Susan

Susan, you've earned a rest.

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

@RMLincoln asked whether it's the Feast of Booths.

No, that's Sukkot, in the fall.

This is the Feast of Weeks. Hebrew lesson: the Torah says to count seven weeks, 49 days, from the second night of Passover, then it's Shavuot. Seven in Hebrew is sheva, and shavua is a week, i.e., 7 days. The plural of shavua is shavuot, understood here to mean "a week of weeks" or seven weeks.

The Torah instructs farmers to bring an offering of the spring grain harvest. In the ancient Near East that would have been barley, but winter rye or winter wheat would also work. Centuries later, rabbis calculated that it was seven weeks from leaving Egypt to receiving the Torah at Sinai, and that's the primary understanding of it today, except in agricultural communities.

The rationale for eating dairy foods is that the Hebrews, upon receiving the Torah, realized that none of their meat was kosher, so could only eat dairy foods that day. That's fanciful, but it's a justification for celebrating with cheese blintzes, cheesecake, or ice cream. For a person who is lactose-intolerant this is not exactly a favorite holiday.

Paul, thanks for another great lesson about a Jewish frstival.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@kochleffelThank you for the tom Lehrer.  I still have the albums, and was rocking out to Hanukkah in Santa Monica, when I lost the connection.  Yes I understand that someone who has problems with dairy would not enjoy this holiday.  I would be in cheesecake heaven, if we had any, but DH and I have only made it to the store to buy enough for a couple of days, and then the power went out for more than 12 hours, and except for eggs every thing got tossed.  Luckily there wasn't much to toss, and tonight the best I could do was heat a can of chicken noodle soup.

@grapau27DH wants to cruise around England.  I figure you of all people would be able to tell me the best line to look at.  We are not into large ships, we so want to see the islands north of mainland Scotland, or Guernsey.  I of course would love to visit your church, (not sure that is a ship excursion, but it should be)  Any ideas?

Hello @marshhawk.

Fred Olsen cruise lines who have a couple of former HAL ships in their fleet including Bollette formerly Amsterdam are the main small cruise line to do around Britain cruises and home port in Newcastle(15 miles from us) Liverpool and Southampton.

Princess cruises also do a few Around Britain cruises but they are newer/larger ships and sail from Southampton.

Father David lives in the vicarage about 40 metres from the church.

If we are not away ourselves we would happily meet up.

Premier Inn Hotel Royal Quays is about 400 metres from Newcastle cruise terminal and next to a shopping outlet if you sailed from Newcastle and needed 1 or 2 nights pre cruise stay.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1