Costa Maya and Belize

beshears

On 5/25/2023 at 12:21 PM, beshears said:

I know this is YOUR opinion, but if you have been to either Costa Maya or Belize, which port would you prefer, and why?

Loved Belize. Quick ride in a small boat from the ship to the shore. Very walkable, lively, and easy to get out into the area on foot. One of my favorites.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 1:21 PM, beshears said:

I know this is YOUR opinion, but if you have been to either Costa Maya or Belize, which port would you prefer, and why?

I love them both. two of my favorite ports. But the Costa Maya region of Mexico is paradise. If I had to choose between these two, I'd always pick the Costa Maya. And if you want an excellent beach break, check out the Nacional Beach Club in Mahajual. 

On 5/25/2023 at 7:23 PM, ugagal07 said:

We enjoy both ports, just know what you're planning in advance. 

Costa Maya has lots of options at the port, we enjoy going to Maya Chan for the day.  But as someone else said, beaches have been rough with sargassum.  We have been twice, last time in December.  They said the sargassum is getting worse for more of the year now. But the included transportation, private palapa area, great drinks, amazing lunch, etc all make it worth it. 🙂

Belize is a tender port, so know you may not make it if seas are rough.  There isn't much near the port, so plan ahead what you want to do.  We've gone cave tubing several times.  The port has become more commercialized, believe it or not, in the past 10 years or so, but it isn't as shiny and clean as Costa Maya.  Worst part about Belize is waiting for a tender back to the ship.

Mexico has installed a barrier in Mahajual to lessen the Sargassum on the beaches. Most places clean it off their beach area, but not all. I highly recommend Nacional Beach Club in Mahajual for a beach break. It's higher in cost than many, but so well worth it! They have the best beach in the Costa Maya region.

We were in Belize in 2022 and did Buttsup.com for a cave tubing excursion. It was SO much fun, I would do it again. The tubes are waiting for you at the river. We did a hike for about 30 minutes or so, but it was easy especially without the tubes. I know other excursions start at the same place but you have to carry the tubes (no thanks)!!!

Have only been to Belize...and that was a whirlwind.   We did the Xunatunich Mayan Ruin tour.  Your are on the first tender off the ship (about a 25 minute ride if I remember).  You get to the port and they put you on a bus and you spend the next two hours on the bus, time at the ruins, and head back, with a stop for a great lunch.   The ruins were amazing as was the food.  And the ride out was packed full of info about the area.    By the time we got back, in addition to being tired, it was time to head back to the ship anyway.
The one thing that stood out - when you hear Belize you think of huts on the water and the great blue hole.  Well, the tender takes you to the "tourism" village.  If you look at it on Google maps, it's dumping you into Belize City, and it isn't a "walk 100yards to a nice beach" place.   Not that I wouldn't mind the chance to see more of the area, but I'd think if you want beach and relaxing, you'd probably need an excursion or local knowledge.

Costa Maya.  Last time in Belize just took the tender, got a seat at a bar/restaurant upstairs overlooking the water, watched people, it was an OK time.  Costa Maya offers much more.

In MY opinion, security at the port tells you a lot.  Costa Maya has a few Mexican marines watching everyone.  Belize has a high fence/wall around the cruise area with multiple well armed police officers (though they try to be discreet).  Of course nothing beats Roatan or Jamaica when it comes to armed police/military trying to prevent you from mingling with the locals.

• Like 1

We were in Costa Maya, Belize, and Cozumel this April 2023 for a 6-day Western Mediterranean Cruise.

Costa Maya could have been a wonderful experience--but we arrived at 1:00 pm and went to the port by about 1:30 pm or thereabout, and it was so hot and humid! Likewise, the walk from the ship to the port is a bit far--especially on a warm humid day.  If you would arrive in the morning, I think it will be much better. Costa Maya Port in itself is fun--there are several attractions-flamingoes, swin with dolphins, aviary, and and lots of shops as usual; jeeps to rent outside, taxis to take you at nearby town/beach. There are also several "Costa Maya" signs for photo opportunities. The merchandise however is on the pricey side/more expensive than in Cozumel. 

We have friends on the ship who explored Costa Maya on their own and they said it was very well-going to a nearby beach--with a massage, food, and some shopping.

Belize is a tender port. In Belize, we joined a Carnival "shore excursion" and so our tender was a bit organized and "priority" so to speak--on the way to our excursion; but not on our way back. Our excursion "Altun Ha Mayan Ruins with Lunch" was fine (6 hours). We have been to several Mayan ruins--but with Altun Ha, we were able to climb the ruins! It was an amazing experience! The Terminal has several sections--and towards Terminal 1, there are several "Belize" signs for photo opportunities, if you are into that thing (which I am, haha).

37 minutes ago, MedCruise_2022 said:

We were in Costa Maya, Belize, and Cozumel this April 2023 for a 6-day Western Caribbean Cruise.

Costa Maya could have been a wonderful experience--but we arrived at 1:00 pm and went to the port by about 1:30 pm or thereabout, and it was so hot and humid! Likewise, the walk from the ship to the port is a bit far--especially on a warm humid day.  If you would arrive in the morning, I think it will be much better. Costa Maya Port in itself is fun--there are several attractions-flamingoes, swim with dolphins, aviary, and and lots of shops as usual; jeeps to rent outside, taxis to take you at nearby town/beach. There are also several "Costa Maya" signs for photo opportunities. The merchandise however is on the pricey side/more expensive than in Cozumel. 

We have friends on the ship who explored Costa Maya on their own and they said it was very well-going to a nearby beach--with a massage, food, and some shopping.

Belize is a tender port. In Belize, we joined a Carnival "shore excursion" and so our tender was a bit organized and "priority" so to speak--on the way to our excursion; but not on our way back. Our excursion "Altun Ha Mayan Ruins with Lunch" was fine (6 hours). We have been to several Mayan ruins--but with Altun Ha, we were able to climb the ruins! It was an amazing experience! The Terminal has several sections--and towards Terminal 1, there are several "Belize" signs for photo opportunities, if you are into that thing (which I am, haha).

On 5/25/2023 at 3:50 PM, MistyRo76 said:

In October, we did an all-inclusive day at Jamie's at Blue Reef and had an amazingly relaxing day!

How did you get there from the Port - did you just walk out of the port and grab a taxi.  How much was Jamie's and the Taxi.  Thanks!!

I love Costa Maya and do not understand why some people do not like it. Great Pier, well themed, a little shade, a free pool, lots of shopping, a walkthrough aviary in port. Then if you want to go outside the port, the Krazy Lobster, Bacalar. Mayan Ruins. What is not to love about Costa Maya. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kleibo said:

How did you get there from the Port - did you just walk out of the port and grab a taxi.  How much was Jamie's and the Taxi.  Thanks!!

Easy enough to get a taxi - they stop on the edge of the port area inside now. Unfortunately, prices have doubled since cruising resumed and are now $4 pp each way to town (5 minute ride).

Prices and description for Jaimie's on their website, Jaimie's at Blue Reef.

On 5/25/2023 at 4:05 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

Belize is a tendering port.  It's about a 20 minute trip.  Costa Maya has a pier.  It's a long walk.

that's why I have never been off the ship in Belize. Wife is afraid of getting sick on the tender.

Belize is building a deep water pier facility -- Port Coral -- which will be able to have four ships docked simultaneously, and will have shops and private beaches available.  My understanding is they'll also have larger tenders running in a ferry style operation to the mainland.  Longer term, there will be a causeway which will allow tour buses to board directly from the man-made island.

It was supposed to open this year.  Not sure of the actual timeline, but there was definitely construction underway 16 months ago.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

Belize is building a deep water pier facility -- Port Coral -- which will be able to have four ships docked simultaneously, and will have shops and private beaches available.  My understanding is they'll also have larger tenders running in a ferry style operation to the mainland.  Longer term, there will be a causeway which will allow tour buses to board directly from the man-made island.

It was supposed to open this year.  Not sure of the actual timeline, but there was definitely construction underway 16 months ago.

That'll be great.  The hubs and I have done the excursions in most ports so now we look for relaxing beach days.  Will this be a Carnival pier or for cruise lines?

Edited by Butterbean1000

On 5/26/2023 at 12:01 PM, EngIceDave said:

This may sound weird, but being from Florida, neither seemed like a big deal. Same look, same foliage and fauna...Gators and iguanas are no big deal. Sure, first time is kind of cool, but after that? Same ol, same ol.

Islands hit differently.

Mosquitos in Belize are the size of small birds!  

On 5/30/2023 at 4:02 PM, Sabalon said:

Have only been to Belize...and that was a whirlwind.   We did the Xunatunich Mayan Ruin tour.  Your are on the first tender off the ship (about a 25 minute ride if I remember).  You get to the port and they put you on a bus and you spend the next two hours on the bus, time at the ruins, and head back, with a stop for a great lunch.   The ruins were amazing as was the food.  And the ride out was packed full of info about the area.    By the time we got back, in addition to being tired, it was time to head back to the ship anyway.
The one thing that stood out - when you hear Belize you think of huts on the water and the great blue hole.  Well, the tender takes you to the "tourism" village.  If you look at it on Google maps, it's dumping you into Belize City, and it isn't a "walk 100yards to a nice beach" place.   Not that I wouldn't mind the chance to see more of the area, but I'd think if you want beach and relaxing, you'd probably need an excursion or local knowledge.

We did the same trip, great time after the long ride. Was in a previous Grayhound type bus with apparently no suspension but air conditioned and a restroom. 2 hours out, 2 hours back with an amazing lunch at Hode's Place. Well worth the trip! 

The tenders to the port were fine with us, no issues. Large tenders, wasn't too rough. The port was a little shady like others have mentioned, it was cool leaving the bustling Belize City driving out through the countryside nearly to Guatemala. It was HOT, and HUMID. Took a cool little ferry over the Belize river to get to the ruins.   

p2BRv1Tovvmsvez3QzI3tOOEufpN5wCI6zHLYG0q_iZ5zN27ZH-mdBkcQsnI26MtP5APzBE6SVrXjOBSPos-KWeNeWt_wcWtmh1WHQcaYli3xqvhViENBAuY64Wg1MNMTR8GFAAYYh-eUjTMt9uqB2luO-pwi7xZC7suexYr1B3agsQyYSg0EjhckmJHO_wM0PVPv2gb8r-yRBn7BGdgivD0f8dcVK1yZmYDJfPq4viHwmR7XqQWrCNofejx0UqwoIG5r7ejk1iBxKNcuJBcPd7rImC_osLvBMnO1cmd38wTGeK_J-4XHi_QOvyO14fuZR9FWHqsiB9UGhlDRWcqMZPNsMCePuZF6luqs1PZNSddNHAcReFbIXI-V2ts2Kxa7invUdIrYDxMfR70OU0jZxOJH6_LknyPaL08tByAwfaNPRf4iNhqa3z9dgiI1_69Nkj24wR9wP-SaVi80kfo-3OParfB8wDSCA9d2eELA94vYAjhW1Hnh3Dsyfy3NszbvbRMZBtB3Zplm7Si8nbmvLQzJYsN4Dy932AbHvCabNGPLa23vFHF3kyoIhPEAZUmIkMzAsZ8Vp-927xYkEOYdwCvjVO5-bxszuVf7CHSJNk0QZfLflrJ7jpBpo5nJFjljV5E_h6FYptON0VZVdWAh5tSYKRRE0WkQeXHbuxtVvA7vVjJRcDxTt3vY2BX-ls9UPMT18sbOC-EQ3cat3znjf3tUcEb6MweROx9w2Q2P9otVl8GhnXY8xKW-d9ucnwlllHd3dZlr0sUO7i5Tu4eiZX3v_7464QhWxSXMvFRMF7a3g677F2kppoT0dVOhMSTw9LcW_PdCt0X2oODP0nuUUsBIbau2cSYWT_zkPQZDzTi_jtXTr-mY_xBtwFvGNJTiVCaJtinEBmL4uufEbIUXDd295JMOI2Su9DLmHcCWqYbPw=w1311-h983-s-no?authuser=0Pz1xSnMbJFYHoF3y1FJUFlP97RhHFrn8cw-aYqGQcsdyM4kC1_9pzS1kj29HJ17_05DEmAk2UToGri1d2mYt9No-EgVvGsmsCCm-7fkuot7ga2t6qn3v2_3jlF4r8ypCOGlV8MsPQku_NBNj6kAWKCCqHnNAy7nDnFyr44uohVVeVdamgYsOVRh_TtFDnvoWaOHpelQxI89FDDwifdBhjGPuHtKOCKNVFplC6nYwZxKY_CmQke9bgimzte-G0Aom9ydwSiJR7vnvKdAN58RTqXxE3bd1pQ1-XsO_LbWL3P-smx-8YvKYHEt6sbF-oSmHHdA8tCAahXZFOt9jQZiuYDVOEFNnDP6YITpzMCqO2niBrdmhBX1NguvrVucVjonpw7hd20NaYRLRT37mzFkHTYIKQhgZBJuebZABvIRdweWZ6rKOZ4gfvlKZ14BlFDmJp7UVGzdru1mTigVuKs-PsCdBd8Nq4xUKM1XTS68vSwm8r36GcGXPoFWFANzGPJ-mSmlhnGExxXhgNSO6qan94BJlC5xbf6_VcVwNVTWm_Q7kN575Ywh1Zx_d7wy6U7Ir641btMDzJRre5Qxr-qb37CN_imKX2RT6fKgtLIezkSqIAgRUVp18TufkYqF9fmHYz8_TJ3Vo0HjGpeYTRQtnYbuuuf-tw8oVI8zUiHtI5e5LyPJ1owG-m_fry4hQRyHscYMDqlB0A9VPoEF2DcJ6skLrH1rrAPsrXCz6RDWuGJehd8QQAq0Q1CfwpjNtq6NOJOsdi8hWfv3n3YpoXImmtCPrV-YEfj1ypbQApCVusWT2skwHZBwVJhsaS0q3o5PTehhuUHlRhnsRK5gqyzVn0AehCHKOGZMcai_llRM5TfmTjjDj3cOEweIfGwfYnupMXQKqDfwkWHhXZ5xQylXwNyk8ykKyvkObRBCFoaL2Mh8xbg=w1311-h983-s-no?authuser=032xpU76BVQvetbgOeNexrLX1VkP-1F9T9bHRW62dJAkY-6B9I6s8MEkE6Xwg0AHz6KBZBHWKjWWeEe6kyK03ypUOT6a9HI3A5WTgUtmJ42pWkNI_PBiJalomd9nzxNfeNrZMfuDWYPgAjsYGUslLBNsvPmWbleDOqUu3BSlpGXWCx2qaaFP4_QHXODQX0L2giqz8r0klt23G0t5_kms-UNup5gG9gm1jd3ujx0TTSLUKDrVG0jFFNia2lS3lMKnaUFp3syGFH5MoWxOAulLxuJgZbN7B9959QYzlkQAfTni0jP4KVz-FMLCiZyeQyFqyV_GRZr630JZBDioVSsRCf9N7ky-LjMVTA8UQcq6t-SNwFgLG80XBkkz10YCEcnSsg4tpVOV-sNf2HqYXT98C46zVQkSR2AJy8B8c0lHo9RJfEcioRZJOdNsyLQCQqceWrXJ3YDoQwSZ2hNkwOBfah2Wd_ohec6teVK5Apx4wQoCll-LzASpSnNZq6sWC_oMJpPawDMGH1RT4o9wgHq-CDkmT8JiPxvrGSC55pe6sm55k3Hv-CNJlEoEqH5hdNR5gZ40Ds3rRce0_m7x3sWLPgbNWnXEa8MdYPY93NZcmPYafl7fKtXCKdIJivYNN8aMG4sosd3RfDBZKKYYoP796rpq98lUgqPnGUdk0OrOy5LYouNGmHsMm5-N7slXVFP9njKfdTrchT6oiE8rGhbnrvzM09gkkiUKFBx1JOEdnIZec61R0BXf9DtPmUkUMu8mNs8p5JHzC6Oy1lhKcz9v1qUmxaHD2OKK7hzTlID0FwdMwPWGQTs4HLDQ1Bzu9pMAtt2lXGk1_cCiyO4uoR_b16L_Nmxge2laspPNvj5QiXMzVL5xbyXCvmMdWXmER_6pEBiCzRQSkxYLsoB5YIkrSi8-xgDVmeEMnJ8VrpdVHfCAwDQ=w1311-h983-s-no?authuser=0

*Found port area pics 🙂

9jUntlLWE0RZantdzaCHb3Y404gqiWbgmp1qR_7NAFOBLcr6d0mRo8pm4b7C-9dE1vH6_yA43zKYtO_CEbJcCicRyqHqBZHsnX0psMnu3up8bPwUsPF4PdfXF2onAv8j8eCclK8C4BuU3VAe1z7wOBz0PbtHhopeXh2tLHjeC1tPNO4RSOjOSlt3XRVFoGufHbzQzqiEF4ASw0fLbJxE6eaWzVWaby6CrvVoMJuGA83FtaIGcFMIMrpBe2S3D6aMNakPNymbvcLdH-RP-TwyzVOnJ84P8Ro0XOVQ0dUfyO9V_-jus5hFgKQzp-XKT_CW10sf0Jwo-mhHHZm95JVgd2v4NonjZhN_fCI1QPRwOOAmSlFZWZjcKLdKUHlNBdD0PvH0gRxl-pmx913334lvDYRwcUH8K3MhH37JcetYNFfxcubCH1lY8on-zX-GMd3ZBSzNR2I5E0XdekHkb8Kg-H0_ToDTGRiRrIQNQxAYCBOh637zRneQtR--fdQUFStm-Y_v24TyW1CwH-x_50F3LgDZiGrOmmy6mD4p_1rpVUvllTjrj-oQKPFZ5UtKaJR-z-cnOfiS2b02oiCwp-5gvtAWs5eNYo844oDRAT1Zm1hfqhzTkLU40Dj1cxvCACZujYoonhN0M29PYOFmo12_AwTfFEAFVPEjMpSsbzcRp5TlG3Jf3s4mTbbhA2CvWwISGIgmcl7I7kj--8YGitgclUAWnkfIaXbFrefaOR3z2dGiOdM-FjM_OLbu5s8GGrvvL1MWcp4dutWIvDoh8olF8ZwwgRzAkXIOGJB_RbDmWci03sYBAAhxSSw4MMXpMPCutRXVS7FpvxHuMWu_6GNjVdF3luadLWP7OmawbnG5JyeZOawJPBa_GUyw7OX-12lpm8XpIaBm_Us9XnmyP1H3e3Ktd5Bf1o-TVnefYEOGX5gArA=w1311-h983-s-no?authuser=0

Tender line....bOdzMqAHqGzR5XOt4B0TRKJ1ItBLdQppGW6mPAeS6fSkRXEnSLxknpR0hY2LEtIU-yLvHl8kX8HE30LM2Vq-9eAOGrYevWnCYOTvmQjS5oAB7bUiGqW-5VRM3nuSpdArdcgFc8bZLq4woIqG0YhhyLKIZ0-48HP6pj-GXTFp7beycGDdL86xRnZw1Mw6wXtLTA-_sdI26GmsoxVRqwND9UeT5fZxw85jZRNv__Wjb9OQ8U3Z5PvYcsYK9m74EArMUiQGgXNtOft38yVpfVc-3DwjVIHOLIlQoyLnAI3H8c1fpI-9yv1CMBuy51OGPFYG0lRveaK13M2AtJ8CDbnD-GpkCPEXY5npg6nqVfV2YErmlzRe7edQkLLzhzGRuFRA3lhylDmojGNOM-8XknNMhIeGvanwbvDCpFzBQqEOFnyAtxbTkGIVkDrbRDiyE2kD1M7hvrXY9nAiH9TVsshiltE_h091LzuBmAa194U1WanZ4GTvGqB4b3BwjQEvMIjax6cjvzOAwa7YaYzIZH0865yux48SixxESLKBIzzgs0j82NwI6Chn0J4qra5vA7voHSS05qEyBZIqYJmIErFUGmHjBNZWQxY4DIrXUfbfus2yPXsXjs6WeWZ48jnVUTuowcXW3nSFP5pc95C3cK7c6EZ9zP9ZqS0nX-oGzwTTrdDnroW_GDhURbA9SlR24yacumhd6_AqkrXWh-yrcD_UiB7gCjWciwzQPW5gk9GJGdjaCjLzZPspnito5JJJroG7-tkj2hj4rCSbQZF3TmWrYSzZkFQPWW8DEBKm94ZNpI-VpR8YqY4gN-zES9bXGrY0WvEw_P4H7x0qQhQRBoBOMC9tC_wZPF9IBr8J9Dfy1CiLMeX2wi9nyg3nh0ALNLC7JlNxBHyL1vGeTtywuTaZ11xKC165CCLXrkXxVqXLPYkgew=w1311-h983-s-no?authuser=0

Costa Maya, as others mentioned, typical Caribbean cruise port feel after a long pier walk. We too went to Maya Chan, loved it! Not the prettiest beach I've been to but, the food and drinks were amazing. Plenty to do for adults and kids, cheap massages, and again the food was great.

iv78ymIAMeCZ7XZcZ5TI3OkzEHccz_6rITrvUYN9Z139uY_6AvrEebljUxwFylt8a7cTQ9c83FZa9ccpKSUj7ztjcugRJY7g2rDszWzB8TSKaJ0Qp24yIPdda5Ae2d3GLTfmycpJFQzpu8sVynNK3s65AT_faRxynh9kRC1OACBTn_QVBxPX3ykQWG9AlsNU0EsI7UzjJaS03h9KMe02qGxBK1cDv_u7Q4xKT8nACfBcDQ9M6COYu2sXg9EZoI7EHwYuEp4FouzxgHavPtYEhfDiU1aeN4CNhjYdR4ierOJekzzcNNY_M-Z3IUPb8tD1nSbZYKIsLbw_hnMDt374vFAjpXCg-ziDrwCeXZbMJQFjUJwOfwTBJzNmUSjLQR1JkbVYO0Y0shz1VS8fFHkUeiMaxlOCesDYF9WE_JNNLf9UxhQd61RAfWGl05tjRnoiBTmQQrf1mUQCxroIQdUYlxNoLKIfZSJ853owrRibUCbM-kAvfDDN8vn7I1j24AejgXwD0o5iefwWu9L_FcVHicaoNch8BOa5CYFuO34fUq3jqNuF6wwHGKwP52fOw7hQ2qeqfEww8Ms4w26txuDjCOl1M6Qg40tWl6jo73coPrWHkRTmrFhFmIRDgUCI3E1VtjCvRVN0NHZnNJhV9-Pwf_m49_o81pymQr6HeZYCeT_xYcIfpOfJLKL3rdnqhdmFtR5MpJfenaU4_meG1Ab9Y0AJSQavpYIm_JpyuNyXztZyKCnpaksBsly8kiOaQmWr41G5dVcjzx2LIRDkEZhsg3XMkijiUs_hI6av8NRlKU28bxDVVvkBjKKSej6BACAtq5Lt1tUyMIJ2rCesXZOaV2vfRwZhd0cMIJBIaqma1n4WCi1psG7xdhcmcUcFyRNMSqnHSVnqcGrnF_r7yupVWTcpcKuBbnWLjlcPX_VTdl1iQg=w1748-h983-s-no?authuser=0

Edited by hard_eight
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, kleibo said:

yes - we just hopped in a taxi at the port. And when we were ready to leave, there were taxi's available right at Jamie's. I can't recall how much taxi's were, but it wasn't much! Jamie's was $52 per person, all inclusive. It included all drinks and food. And we had reserved chaise loungers right under a palapa. Digby was our waitress and she was amazing! The food and drinks were awesome! It was a great day! 

• Like 2

On 5/26/2023 at 12:01 PM, EngIceDave said:

This may sound weird, but being from Florida, neither seemed like a big deal. Same look, same foliage and fauna...Gators and iguanas are no big deal. Sure, first time is kind of cool, but after that? Same ol, same ol.

Islands hit differently.

The upside of being from Maine--totally different! That said, we don't go on New England cruises 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2