Costa Maya and Belize

beshears

I enjoy them both equally.  I enjoy visiting Mayan ruins and they are available at both ports.  Belize is a tender port.  Costa Maya has a rather long, hot walk from the ship to the port although the port facilities are probably a little more inviting than Belize.  Personal transportation from "Ship to shore" is available in Costa Maya but in our experience is not on a very reliable schedule.  Neither location is a St Kitts, Saint Martin, or Cozumel both both are fun places if you have a positive attitude.  After 36 cruises, I would gladly look forward to a day in either port.  On occasion, my wife does, however, choose to stay on the ship when we visit one of these ports.  Isn't it wonderful that we all don't enjoy the same things?  🙂

• Like 7

Like Costa Maya alot. Nice cruise-built port area, no real need to leave but if you want to do ruins tours/etc they are close by. There is a dolphin encounter and aviary right there in port, along with shops/restaurants etc. 

Belize is ok, but really something you'd want to do an excursion for. Not alot in the port area. Ambergris Cay is excellent and a fun way to spend the afternoon.

Costa Maya would be my pick. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Been to Belize 2 times and both times we did excursions from the ship to small islands for snorkeling. Rendezvous Caye and I don’t remember the others name. Very cool experience if you are in to that. Costa Maya 2x, once to a beach club and once to the ruins. Really liked the ruins. I would pick Belize myself unless you haven’t been to ruins. They were cool. My opinion for what it’s worth. 

Did Belize about 10 or so years ago.. day trip to Mayan ruins.

On the way back we stopped for lunch and I would say it was the best tasting meal we had on the trip... including the ship.

• Like 2

Another question just dawned on me. Is "tendering" done from the ship in Belize, as well as Costa Maya, or can you walk into where ever? I know tendering takes time, and that was one reason I ask.

We enjoyed both ports.   I didn't like having to tender in Belize, but we visited Altun Ha mayan ruins and did a river cruise as part of a Carnival excursion and had a great day.   This was years ago so I'm not sure if they offer that excursion anymore.   I believe you have to plan an excursion as there isn't much to do around the port.    I think I would find a snorkeling excursion next time.

Last year we went to Costa Maya and took a taxi & spent the day at Blue Reef (all-inclusive).    We loved our time there so much!   The food was great, the drinks were good, and the hospitality was awesome.  The only complaint I had was that there was a ton of sargassum on the beach...which I believe is an issue there quite frequently.   Not the nicest beach, but we didn't let that spoil our day.  We got cheap (but great) massages as well.    The port area at Costa Maya is large and has several shops and a pool (I think).   Some people just hung around in that area all day.

I might give a slight edge to Costa Maya if it were me.

• Like 2

I enjoy both ports for completely different reasons. In Belize, we have done some amazing excursions - ziplining in the rain forest, cave tubing, exploring caves, etc. It's a beautiful country especially once you get away from the port area (this could have changed as it's been quite a while since I've been to Belize). But alot of these excursions are quite a far distance from the port and require a long bus ride. 

I love Costa Maya for a great relaxing beach day. We usually take a taxi to Mahahual. In October, we did an all-inclusive day at Jamie's at Blue Reef and had an amazingly relaxing day! Food and drinks were amazing, the water was great, service was outstanding! It was truly the perfect beach day. And I find Costa Maya to be very inexpensive compared to other ports. 

Costa Maya you can walk right off the ship - though there is a quite a long way through all the shops and restaurants to get to the taxi stand. Belize you have to tender and compared to other tender ports like Grand Cayman and Half Moon Cay, the tender ride is quite a bit longer. Costa Maya has a completely built up port with all your standard restaurants, bars, pools, beach access, shopping, etc. When I was last in Belize (10+ years ago), there wasn't a ton at the immediate port area. Not sure if this has been built up over time or not. 

• Like 2

I have been to Belize only once, on my first cruise in 2004. We went to the ruins because it seemed like the best option for my late DH, who was 1.5 years into a 2 year battle with lung cancer. It is the one port I have avoided since then, and I can’t decide if that is because I associate it with cancer or because I have read some not favorable reviews. I would like to have a better attitude towards it because more and more cruises seem to include Belize. Hoping to see some reasons to try it again in this thread. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, beshears said:

Another question just dawned on me. Is "tendering" done from the ship in Belize, as well as Costa Maya, or can you walk into where ever? I know tendering takes time, and that was one reason I ask.

Belize is a tendering port.  It's about a 20 minute trip.  Costa Maya has a pier.  It's a long walk.

• Like 1

Costa Maya cruise terminal can get crowded when the big ships are in town. Mahahual is a $4 cab ride and uncrowded.

We've been to Chacchoben from there also.

I feel Belize City requires a tour. We've been to Altun Ha and Lamanai from there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beshears said:

There is a long tender ride in Belize. No tender in Costa Maya.

We enjoy both ports, just know what you're planning in advance. 

Costa Maya has lots of options at the port, we enjoy going to Maya Chan for the day.  But as someone else said, beaches have been rough with sargassum.  We have been twice, last time in December.  They said the sargassum is getting worse for more of the year now. But the included transportation, private palapa area, great drinks, amazing lunch, etc all make it worth it. 🙂

Belize is a tender port, so know you may not make it if seas are rough.  There isn't much near the port, so plan ahead what you want to do.  We've gone cave tubing several times.  The port has become more commercialized, believe it or not, in the past 10 years or so, but it isn't as shiny and clean as Costa Maya.  Worst part about Belize is waiting for a tender back to the ship.

DH and DS always snorkel in Belize and love it, we have done the ruins and an all inclusive beach excursion at a very nice resort excursion.  We like both places equally as we can always find fun stuff to do.  

3 minutes ago, Drazil65 said:

DH and DS always snorkel in Belize and love it, we have done the ruins and an all inclusive beach excursion at a very nice resort excursion.  We like both places equally as we can always find fun stuff to do.  

I would be interested to know what resort is available from Belize?

Not a big fan if either port, but prefer Costa Maya between the two.  At least there you can get off the ship and walk around the port area.  They also have a pool / lounge area if you like that.  We stay on the ship now in Belize.  For us there is nothing in Belize that is worth the very long tender ride.  It may be different once they get the docks done, but we avoid Belize if at all possible or stay on the ship.

Costa Maya, both times there we went to The Krazy Lobster, a beachfront restaurant in Mahahual with tasty drinks and food (order off menu, not All Inclusive), hour long beach massages for $20 and the sargassum is held back with nets.  Here are some pics:

me at table.jpg

cat massage.jpg

lobster.jpg

Edited by ninjacat123
forgot location :)
  • Like 1

Belize, we have done cave tubing (do a ship excursion, it's an over hour drive away) and Goff's Cay (Gilligan's Island-like place with snorkeling) both excursions were fun. I would suggest an excursion through the ship if you chose Belize.

This may sound weird, but being from Florida, neither seemed like a big deal. Same look, same foliage and fauna...Gators and iguanas are no big deal. Sure, first time is kind of cool, but after that? Same ol, same ol.

Islands hit differently.

• Like 2