Do you have extra nuggets of advice?

Lesliern1972

Good evening! First time Holland cruiser here.  We are typically land travelers, but oddly this will our second cruise in 8 months (Rhine riverboat in autumn). 
We’re leaving Seattle on the Eurodam June 3.

Stats for us:

My husband and I: I’m 50. (My husband will turn 48 while on the cruise).

3 boys: 18, 12, and 9 (12 y/o turns 13 while on cruise). *I promise all of our children are of the domestic breed and not feral*

My parents: Late seventies. They are dedicated Holland cruisers. They have taken this exact cruise in the past.

-We have booked 3 aft balcony staterooms on the 6th deck. My husband and I will be in a corner Neptune suite and we’ll make the 3 boys will share a room next to us.

-Considering the rest of our group are not in the same category room as us, I doubt we’ll be able to take advantage of many of the perks that come with Neptune class. My parents don’t do Club Orange or anything of that nature. *I will bring my mom good coffee from the lounge since I’m not a coffee drinker.

-My mom is a thermal suite devotee and they always eat at the Pinnacle Grill one night. I haven’t decided if I want to do either. 
I’ve decided on getting the bottles of wine. I think my mom gets a special discount because of their loyalty?

-We’ll also get the soft drink package. 
-We’ll likely get some massages. But geez, how do you choose? I thought I was looking at a Cheesecake Factory menu when I looked at the spa brochure.

I know this is considered a cruise line with older folks. We really liked the seniors on our European riverboat cruise. It will take some adjustment being on a ship with a younger group. 😊

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on Holland’s website, various blogs, and the threads here. Preparation has been minimal since we have been crazy busy. I’m looking forward to a vacation where I don’t have to think or plan much for once.

If there are any extra nuggets of advice based on information provided, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank-you, 

Leslie

44 minutes ago, Lesliern1972 said:

Saturday night?

I think what Gail and Marty are gearing at is that the first night of the cruise (yes, in your case Saturday night) most people are tired from traveling and it is what is known as turn around day. Often you get new crew and the first night in the main dining room can be a little crazy. Sometimes you dont even meet your table mates until the second night, so the first night is a good night to take advantage of a specialty restaurant with your family to settle in to your adventure. But it is your vacation. Do what feels right and just have fun. The Eurodam has Tamarind. Yum. Pinnacle is great, but we often go to Pinnacle lunch, which is lighter and quite amazing. And you cant go wrong by going to Canaletto. If you don't want to think much, or plan much, the MDR is quite wonderful. We opt for the 2nd fixed seating. Open seating can be hectic, so don't forget that your parents know the ropes. 

Whatever you decide to do, have a blast. It sounds like an amazing family vacation. 

• Like 1

If you want to dine as a family, I recommend  "fixed dining", so you have the same table and wait staff. It will make a more intimate and friendly time on the ship getting to know your dining team as well as them getting to know you.  

Easier to make this work when you choose "late fixed" - less crowded.  You can still go to any of the specialty restaurants any night you wish - be that Canaletto (Italian), Tamarind (Asian) or Pinnacle- steaks, chops, fish etc) But you would have a home base table if you choose "fixed" dining. Or order room service for everyone in your nicely sized Neptune Suite. (Better off with more casual entrees than a full sit down for room service with your larger groups, but depending on the weather you will have a nice table and chairs on your verandah for at least four people.)

And you might also want to plan the thermal spa time in the late afternoon when it is also less crowded while others are on their way to early dining. I personally would take the thermal spa package which has multiple ways of enjoying some down time,  over a single onboard massage. The thermal spa as heated loungers, aroma showers, as well as the very large thermal pool you can even paddle around it.  

If you get too hungry to wait for late dining (around 8pm) you can go to the afternoon tea, or have some late after noon snacks, at Dive-In, Taco Bar, Pizza or the always open salad bars.

I hope you have a wonderful time -sounds like a very special family treat and hope your parents love for HAL ships rubs off on you too. Bon voyage.

• Like 3

Make sure you have your shore excursions planned out and if time allows at least one backup. With short times in port please don't just walk off the ship and look for things to do. Many may be full already. 

• Like 1

My sister likes the massages so we usually end up with a spa afternoon.  I don’t think their massages are the quality that I get at home and for a higher price.  My recommendation is to get one at a nice spa shoreside during your cruise or do as I do - go before your cruise. The money would be better spent in the thermal suite .  Do ask about the Eurodam thermal suite on this board as the quality of that suite can vary ship to ship 

• Like 2

Since you have a Neptune Suite, there is one perk you can share with the others.  You can order hors d’oeuvres (hot and cold) through the concierge.

IIRC you can order up to enough for 4 at no charge.  IME, the servings are very generous and servings for 4 will be ample for at least 8 people.  They will bring plates for 4 - just grab some more from the Neptune Lounge.

You could all enjoy them on your balcony - I believe you have one of those very large balconies since you are aft 👍 

• Like 2

If your parents are 4 or 5 Star Mariners they get a 50% discount on wine packages (4 or more bottles), which is a very good deal IMO.  They can order and pay for it and the wine can be consumed in any of the dining or bar areas, or you can have some of the bottles sent to the cabin.  3 Star Mariners get a 25% discount.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

I think what Gail and Marty are gearing at is that the first night of the cruise (yes, in your case Saturday night) most people are tired from traveling and it is what is known as turn around day. Often you get new crew and the first night in the main dining room can be a little crazy. Sometimes you dont even meet your table mates until the second night, so the first night is a good night to take advantage of a specialty restaurant with your family to settle in to your adventure. But it is your vacation. Do what feels right and just have fun. The Eurodam has Tamarind. Yum. Pinnacle is great, but we often go to Pinnacle lunch, which is lighter and quite amazing. And you cant go wrong by going to Canaletto. If you don't want to think much, or plan much, the MDR is quite wonderful. We opt for the 2nd fixed seating. Open seating can be hectic, so don't forget that your parents know the ropes. 

Whatever you decide to do, have a blast. It sounds like an amazing family vacation. 

Thank you! I will likely do that with Pinnacle now after looking at the menu-especially since it appears they no longer have king crab legs on their menu as an entree. Tamarind’s menu looks wonderful. They have a ton of availability our first night. I know my boys would rather have sushi than anything. I looked at Nami sushi’s menu and the offerings were uninspired. Perhaps the menu is different on the ship. 
I prefer to eat later, but I’m not sure I could get my parents on board. We’ll see…

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SightCRR said:

Make sure you have your shore excursions planned out and if time allows at least one backup. With short times in port please don't just walk off the ship and look for things to do. Many may be full already. 

Yes, we did book a few. Several were already full when we did. 
*I added in some geocaching for fun!

Edited by Lesliern1972

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

My sister likes the massages so we usually end up with a spa afternoon.  I don’t think their massages are the quality that I get at home and for a higher price.  My recommendation is to get one at a nice spa shoreside during your cruise or do as I do - go before your cruise. The money would be better spent in the thermal suite .  Do ask about the Eurodam thermal suite on this board as the quality of that suite can vary ship to ship 

That’s great advice! Thank you!

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Since you have a Neptune Suite, there is one perk you can share with the others.  You can order hors d’oeuvres (hot and cold) through the concierge.

IIRC you can order up to enough for 4 at no charge.  IME, the servings are very generous and servings for 4 will be ample for at least 8 people.  They will bring plates for 4 - just grab some more from the Neptune Lounge.

You could all enjoy them on your balcony - I believe you have one of those very large balconies since you are aft 👍 

Oooh, I didn’t know about that! That will be nice.

Yes, the wraparound balcony was what sold us on that particular room. We had no focus on the perks when we booked. It’s about the balcony! We’ll be able to extend it more when we open up the divider between our rooms. It’s nice to find out more about all the little extras we get though!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

Wake up early and get out on the promenade - scenery is amazing in the morning light and you have an excellent chance to see whales

Thank you! The kids will especially be excited to see whales. I’m pretty sure they’ve never seen them outside of captivity.

13 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Book the first night dinner in one of the pay restaurants.

First night in the dining room is a little crazy.

I have been trying to do just this but the HAL website has the wrong days listed for dining.  The first night isn’t an option but I can book for the night after I got off the ship.  They loaded it it a day off and say it’s right.  

11 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

I have been trying to do just this but the HAL website has the wrong days listed for dining.  The first night isn’t an option but I can book for the night after I got off the ship.  They loaded it it a day off and say it’s right.  

Book as soon as you get on board ..

One of the Neptune benefits - the Neptune concierge can get reservations for you - they have their ways apparently when all other avenues are blocked. Visit with the concierge as soon as you get on board, for any dining arrangements you were not able to make ahead of time. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

One of the Neptune benefits - the Neptune concierge can get reservations for you - they have their ways apparently when all other avenues are blocked. Visit with the concierge as soon as you get on board, for any dining arrangements you were not able to make ahead of time. 

It sounds as though I will utilize our concierge quite a bit and they go above and beyond. Is there a separate envelope or something of that nature to tip them from?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lesliern1972 said:

It sounds as though I will utilize our concierge quite a bit and they go above and beyond. Is there a separate envelope or something of that nature to tip them from?

You can get envelopes at the front  desk or bring a few along with you. Additionally, you can drop off notes in writing, or on the Navigator in special recognition of named crew members. Both of equal value, in the big picture.

Yes, you can tip the concierge directly at the end of the cruise. This personal tip would be over an above any share they might get from the "crew appreciation" surcharges, put on everyone's final cruise account. . 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lesliern1972 said:

Good evening! First time Holland cruiser here.  We are typically land travelers, but oddly this will our second cruise in 8 months (Rhine riverboat in autumn). 
We’re leaving Seattle on the Eurodam June 3.

Stats for us:

My husband and I: I’m 50. (My husband will turn 48 while on the cruise).

3 boys: 18, 12, and 9 (12 y/o turns 13 while on cruise). *I promise all of our children are of the domestic breed and not feral*

My parents: Late seventies. They are dedicated Holland cruisers. They have taken this exact cruise in the past.

-We have booked 3 aft balcony staterooms on the 6th deck. My husband and I will be in a corner Neptune suite and we’ll make the 3 boys will share a room next to us.

-Considering the rest of our group are not in the same category room as us, I doubt we’ll be able to take advantage of many of the perks that come with Neptune class. My parents don’t do Club Orange or anything of that nature. *I will bring my mom good coffee from the lounge since I’m not a coffee drinker.

-My mom is a thermal suite devotee and they always eat at the Pinnacle Grill one night. I haven’t decided if I want to do either. 
I’ve decided on getting the bottles of wine. I think my mom gets a special discount because of their loyalty?

-We’ll also get the soft drink package. 
-We’ll likely get some massages. But geez, how do you choose? I thought I was looking at a Cheesecake Factory menu when I looked at the spa brochure.

I know this is considered a cruise line with older folks. We really liked the seniors on our European riverboat cruise. It will take some adjustment being on a ship with a younger group. 😊

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on Holland’s website, various blogs, and the threads here. Preparation has been minimal since we have been crazy busy. I’m looking forward to a vacation where I don’t have to think or plan much for once.

If there are any extra nuggets of advice based on information provided, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank-you, 

Leslie

Best advice I received for my first HAL cruise was to take a few Command Hooks, magnetic hooks, and clothes pins. For some reason we always need them. I also take portable phone charger to be sure my phone can be in reach for reading in bed. I recharge the charger during the day and have it by my bed at night.

• Like 1

I thought one of the best perks of the Neptune Suite was breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill or Orange Club (depending on the ship).  On one cruise with my parents they were in a Neptune and we were in and ocean view and they got us into the Pinnacle Grill with them for breakfast.  On another cruise when we were in a Neptune and friends were in a Veranda, we could not get them into the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast.  It might be worth trying. 

Also, the time we weren't in a Neptune, we put our dirty clothes in my parent's laundry bag and used their laundry service at no extra charge.  This was done at the suggestion of their cabin steward. 

Enjoy your cruise with your family.  Our family cruise to Alaska remains one of our best family memories.

On 5/25/2023 at 6:02 PM, Lesliern1972 said:

Thank-you, 

Leslie

It's the length of a football field (and up a flight of stairs) from the 6th floor aft wraps to the Neptune Lounge, where the "good" coffee machine lives.  Think about how you will tote the coffee and other stuff. 

Consider bringing a small tray and an insulated coffee mug with a lid so you can cover that distance with the coffee still hot and not spilled

image.thumb.png.a014ee067d96b2aa8bc13e2f930f27ad.png

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

It's the length of a football field (and up a flight of stairs) from the 6th floor aft wraps to the Neptune Lounge, where the "good" coffee machine lives.  Think about how you will tote the coffee and other stuff. 

Consider bringing a small tray and an insulated coffee mug with a lid so you can cover that distance with the coffee still hot and not spilled

image.thumb.png.a014ee067d96b2aa8bc13e2f930f27ad.png I realized it is indeed quite a hike getting there. I’m making a list of things to bring. I’ll add our Yeti insulated cups to the list! I already ordered the brilliant idea for different colored lanyards that were suggested. I also saw that they have the paper straws on the ship, therefore I’ll bring one from home that doesn’t turn into a soggy, floppy mess…

Thank-you for pointing that out!