Got an upgrade offer and…

envy4u

Aft cabins are the best.  Love being able to see both sides of the ship.  I find the sound of the wake relaxing when sitting on the verandah. Congratulations!

• Like 4

Just now, Nodakboiler said:

It's probably already gone if you didn't jump on the offer!

We got it! So excited. Two couples cancelled. There were two cabins next to each other and we got a choice 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, envy4u said:

How’s the movement?  Usually get mid ship cabins 

26 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

If the seas move, the ship will move. If they don't,  neither will you.

We disembarked Noordam in early May after 39 days New Zealand, Australia, SP, Hawaii to Vancouver.  Between Hawaii and Vancouver we had rough seas for 3 days and you certainly feel the motion of the ocean in the aft cabins.  We were in 5189 and loved it but had to tape our draws and closets closed.  The aft and forward cabins are not for sea sick prone folks when in 62 knot winds and high seas!   Lots of green people for 36/48 hours…. We were fine. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice to learn you got the cabin and even had a choice between 2 - hope you immediately bought a lottery ticket, lol.

On Oosterdam deck 5 you will have the deepest balcony - yet another win!

We love those true aft cabins due to having both Port & Starboard views. Also enjoy the extra sealife (we seem to always have whales or dolphins joining us in port) especially on AK itineraries. 

If you're prone to feel the movement, you may notice it a bit more back there. We have not experienced extra noise or soot as some write about.

Congrats and enjoy!!

Screenshot_20230525-225555_Drive.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Upload
  • Like 3

We had a very similar cabin on the Zuiderdam and loved it,  lots of shade as well.  If I am on an itinerary that I have concerns with the sea I also book midship, but my heart is aft!   Unless the seas are really tough you’ll be fine, always pack some meclizine!

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

Congratulations!! Deck 5 aft facing on the Oosterdam is the BEST!! Those balconies are the largest, staterooms also slightly larger. As for motion yes there is some but it is a totally different feel from being forward on the ship. The movement tend to happen more at higher speeds. I am one that gets motion sick and I will pick all day long an aft facing stateroom.

• Like 6

Not mentioned above but your balcony is fully covered.  In addition, the lack of wind while the ship is moving means you can spend lots of time on your balcony while those not in aft staterooms cannot.

• Like 6

I may be the only nay-sayer here!   I will not ever take an aft cabin again.  The motion was very noticeable - not only side to side but up and down as well - and I would say fairly calm seas.  I spent a lot of time outside of the cabin.  

Let us know how you enjoyed it!

1 minute ago, trixiee said:

I may be the only nay-sayer here!   I will not ever take an aft cabin again.  The motion was very noticeable - not only side to side but up and down as well - and I would say fairly calm seas.  I spent a lot of time outside of the cabin.  

I understand your concern.  DH didn’t like the aft motion at all so I booked mid ship (except on the P’dam - location made no difference on that ship -we were forward).

Now that is is just me 💔 I have an aft facing cabin on deck 5 booked for 2024 and looking forward to it.  Sailed aft (not aft facing but very aft) on the Koningsdam and had no issues.  Doing one of those deep balconies again on the Rotterdam in October this year.  So, time will tell but I am not subject to mail de mer.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, trixiee said:

I’ve had aft cabins on ships and they’ve been fine.  I had an aft cabin (vista suite) on the koningsdam on the 4th floor.  No way I’d book that cabin again.  Way too much vibration and shimmy. 

I won't take an aft cabin between the ash that fell over everything on the chairs and tables and US when using it to the basketball games done with the deck chairs at 11 pm and 5 am. The crew bounced the chairs around over our heads.  I would take an inside room over that room again.

Edited by carolcp

1 hour ago, cavecreekguy said:

Another naysayer. I had a deck 5 aft cabin on Oosterdam. I wouldn't do it again.

Yes, it's a nice, deep, fully-covered balcony. But it felt to me like I was deep inside a cave unless I was right up against the railing.

I will love that 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, carolcp said:

I won't take an aft cabin between the ash that fell over everything on the chairs and tables and US when using it to the basketball games done with the deck chairs at 11 pm and 5 am. The crew bounced the chairs around over our heads.  I would take an inside room over that room again.

Sounds like you were on the deck right below the Lido deck - generally not a good idea IMO.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cavecreekguy said:

Another naysayer. I had a deck 5 aft cabin on Oosterdam. I wouldn't do it again.

Yes, it's a nice, deep, fully-covered balcony. But it felt to me like I was deep inside a cave unless I was right up against the railing.

Cannot resist,  thought you were a Cave guy😉🤷‍♀️

• Haha 1