Seattle departure

edub

Hi - we have a cruise next month departing Seattle to Alaska. We are not first time cruisers, but first time on Princess and first time with our own family (previously went on big family trips where someone else did the planning). I've already managed to mess up where my organized mother didn't - just made dinner reservations last night with limited choices, etc. But we're happy to eat wherever is kid-friendly and uncrowded and would love suggestions.

My question is about the Seattle departure. I was told that even if you have the earliest check in at 11am, you can't actually board the ship until 1pm (it departs t 4p). And the agent made it sound like we needed transporation to the ship. Is it a tender v a direct ship boarding? We've previously been on HAL and Royal Carribean, when we just walked directly on the ship. We're traveling with a special needs kid and I called Princess to request an early onboarding, which they couldn't do, so we are in group C, but they assured me that my daughter would be expedited. What I've learned is I need to tell her what to expect at every step so it would be good to know exactly how and approximately how long to board the ship. 

Thanks in advance for any info!

I can definitely tell you that you won't be embarking via tender. There may have just been a miscommunication somewhere. I also can't remember how strict Seattle is with their groups but other ports I've embarked from have hardly checked the app at all, so YMMV. I'd just get there early for peace of mind and then ...go with the flow? I know that sounds totally counterintuitive but that's what keeps me calm on the first day.

• Like 1

Ok this is super helpful. Thanks for all the quick replies! We looove turning up places early. And I'm really glad to hear there's no tender, which seemed weird to me. I think that Princess uses a call center where some of the workers seem to be minimally trained in cruises, although the one I worked with tried to be extremely helpful.

On a related note, has anyone found a number for Princess to speak to someone about passengers with disabilities? I find that when you call the general number they are unwilling to pass you onto someone who might have this expertise, and all my internet searching hasn't unearthed a number other than the general 1-800 one I've been using.

Of course embarkation is dependent on a smooth disembarkation of the previous cruise passengers, so no telling what can happen from week to week! My experience boarding on 5/13 was quite smooth. We arrived at the terminal around 1030am, taking an Uber from the hotel we were in the night before. Lines were short, we were on board by 11am. It was one of my easiest embarkations ever. However based on posts here it did not go quite as well for the previous cruise. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edub said:

Hi - we have a cruise next month departing Seattle to Alaska. We are not first time cruisers, but first time on Princess and first time with our own family (previously went on big family trips where someone else did the planning). I've already managed to mess up where my organized mother didn't - just made dinner reservations last night with limited choices, etc. But we're happy to eat wherever is kid-friendly and uncrowded and would love suggestions.

My question is about the Seattle departure. I was told that even if you have the earliest check in at 11am, you can't actually board the ship until 1pm (it departs t 4p). And the agent made it sound like we needed transporation to the ship. Is it a tender v a direct ship boarding? We've previously been on HAL and Royal Carribean, when we just walked directly on the ship. We're traveling with a special needs kid and I called Princess to request an early onboarding, which they couldn't do, so we are in group C, but they assured me that my daughter would be expedited. What I've learned is I need to tell her what to expect at every step so it would be good to know exactly how and approximately how long to board the ship. 

Thanks in advance for any info!

If you're looking for kid friendly and uncrowded, make an 8:30pm reservation. Less people, and you won't be rushed out the door. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, edub said:

On a related note, has anyone found a number for Princess to speak to someone about passengers with disabilities? I find that when you call the general number they are unwilling to pass you onto someone who might have this expertise, and all my internet searching hasn't unearthed a number other than the general 1-800 one I've been using.

I don't think Princess employs any phone agents that are able to provide accurate information. As I understand it, the call center agents that were employed pre-pandemic were all laid off.  The new call center agents either work remotely (from all over the U.S., mostly in states with low minimum wage,) or more likely an off-shore call center (I think it is located in the Philippines.)
But, as for boarding, people who need assistance (wheelchair, or their own mobility devices) are boarded first before Elite/Platinum/Suites.  So get to the port early.
If you need an ADA cabin, book early because there are very few on the ships.  You will need to submit a completed questionnaire to justify your need for the room, including wheelchair (or scooter) dimensions.  Rental scooters will usually fit through the doors of a standard cabin.
If you do not use your mobility device in the dining room, they will park it outside of the dining room and retrieve it when you are done with your meal.
We have always traveled as ADA passengers, on Princess cruises from ports all over the world.  I'll try to answer any questions you might have, and I'm sure other ADA passengers can probably help you as well. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

If you're looking for kid friendly and uncrowded, make an 8:30pm reservation. Less people, and you won't be rushed out the door. 

We never eat dinner before 7:30 and rarely have a crowd. It seems like a lot of Princess customers like to eat as soon as possible so by 7:30 or 8;00 they are all gone. 

8 minutes ago, memoak said:

We never eat dinner before 7:30 and rarely have a crowd. It seems like a lot of Princess customers like to eat as soon as possible so by 7:30 or 8;00 they are all gone. 

Right, but not the normal state of affairs for families with kids along for the cruise.

24 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

I don't think Princess employs any phone agents that are able to provide accurate information. As I understand it, the call center agents that were employed pre-pandemic were all laid off.  The new call center agents either work remotely (from all over the U.S., mostly in states with low minimum wage,) or more likely an off-shore call center (I think it is located in the Philippines.)
But, as for boarding, people who need assistance (wheelchair, or their own mobility devices) are boarded first before Elite/Platinum/Suites.  So get to the port early.
If you need an ADA cabin, book early because there are very few on the ships.  You will need to submit a completed questionnaire to justify your need for the room, including wheelchair (or scooter) dimensions.  Rental scooters will usually fit through the doors of a standard cabin.
If you do not use your mobility device in the dining room, they will park it outside of the dining room and retrieve it when you are done with your meal.
We have always traveled as ADA passengers, on Princess cruises from ports all over the world.  I'll try to answer any questions you might have, and I'm sure other ADA passengers can probably help you as well. 

Thanks for your offer of help! Her disability is autism, so not a physical mobility issue. Other cruise lines seem to have autism programs or assistance in place - we chose Princess bc it takes us to the inner passage and the science experts are supposed to be great, which she will love. But I have noticed the call centers leave something to be desired.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Right, but not the normal state of affairs for families with kids along for the cruise.

We have a teen and tween so it may be possible to go later. We thought maybe if they eat brunch instead of breakfast and a late lunch, and plenty of ice cream, a later seating would be plausible. What we really desire is quiet, if possible (though one child will wear noise blocking headphones if necessary). 

15 minutes ago, edub said:

We have a teen and tween so it may be possible to go later. We thought maybe if they eat brunch instead of breakfast and a late lunch, and plenty of ice cream, a later seating would be plausible. What we really desire is quiet, if possible (though one child will wear noise blocking headphones if necessary). 

What ship are you on? Royal class has small dining room areas in a couple of the restaurants. If you go later, you can sometimes get a room all to yourselves. 

5 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

What ship are you on? Royal class has small dining room areas in a couple of the restaurants. If you go later, you can sometimes get a room all to yourselves. 

Royal Princess

10 hours ago, edub said:

Princess uses Pier 91 (Smith Cove).  The only reliable way to get there from anyplace is via taxi, carshare (Uber/Lyft), or shuttle van.  I would encourage using a carshare service before any of the others.  Easy to determine where they are as you are waiting for them to pick you up, plus you pick your exact end point and the carshare driver knows exactly where you need to be dropped off.  Your travel party size will probably require an UberXL or equivalent.

Boarding groups with Princess are a suggestion, not a rule.  You don't really need to pay any attention to them, because port staff and Princess certainly don't.  If you are in the waiting hall and they are boarding the ship, you'll be queued up to go on board.  If you are in a suite or Elite with Princess you may have priority boarding.  But if you arrive at or before 11, you'll flow through security and then into the waiting hall, and if they are boarding the ship, right onto the ship.

They service two ships at a time on Pier 91, typically a HAL cruise is also embarking while Princess is embarking.  The porters and staff will be asking if you are Princess or HAL and point you in the right direction.

The passenger terminal at Pier 91 is a newer facility, but not brand new.  It is quite large, and the waiting hall is very open.  There will be a lot of background noise.  I think it is worse than the airport, but that is just me.

I've always felt that boarding cruise ships is a bit chaotic, even if it is organized. I don't envy your need to try to pre-communicate to your child what is going to occur, because, honestly, there is no good way to do so in this kind of environment.  Princess will only start boarding the ship after every passenger from the previous cruise is off the ship.  While Princess provides a nice and relaxing cruise, that last morning on board is a lot like the "Bu-bye" skits that were on Saturday Night Live in the 90s; they want you off the ship and they make no bones about getting you off the ship as quickly as possible; "Cruise is over, go home!"  So, while I don't really enjoy the cruise embarkation process, I find the disembarkation process even less hospitable.

10 hours ago, edub said:

Don't make dinner reservations through the app until you are on board.  And you can always call the dine line from your cabin to do that.  While the Medallion is very cool and is just a sophisticated replacement for the old cruise card, with some additional on board "geolocation" technology, the app is both a bit spotty in terms of its reliability, and its functionality on shore is pretty limited to what it can do until you are on board.  I think the app works fairly well on board for its intended purpose.  I would recommend ensuring that you have the most recent version of the app on your device before you get on board.  As for dining, if you need a secluded corner of an MDR, they will do their best to accommodate you, but as others have said, you'll be dining later to get that kind of accommodation.  I find that MDR service is much better if you dine later in the evening rather than earlier.

You won't starve on board and shouldn't feel attached to a dining schedule.  Free food and small bites are always available at the International Cafe, 24/7.  You might find the buffet more to your liking depending on the evening and how everyone is feeling. There is a lot of dining space in and around the Horizon Court (or is it the World Fresh Marketplace on the Royal?).  It wouldn't be hard to find a corner and take it over.  Specialty restaurants like Sabatini's and Crown Grill often have secluded spaces, if you are up for a cover charge meal that is a bit elevated over the MDR.  And don't forget, pizza, burgers and dogs are available at the pizza stand and grill on the Lido deck near the main pool.

Assuming that the Medallion and app are working properly and the ship is not understaffed, you can also order "room service" from the app and they will deliver it to wherever you happen to be, not just in your room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My grandson is on the Spectrum,  mild CP and limited vision in one eye and loves cruising and especially Princess.  He had eating issues when he first started cruising (18 years ago) and the dining personnel couldn't do enough to bring him food textures he could eat.  I am sure if you ask for a quieter area they will work to find a table for you.  If your daughter is comfortable meeting people, be sure to introduce her to as many crew - CD and their staff, other officers and crew.  Even Captains have gone way beyond with talking to my grandson. On the Enchanted Princess Nov 2021, we did   meet an Officer with ADA responsibilities and he said they were also on all the other ships if someone needed assistance or had questions.  Have a great cruise.

• Like 2

A couple of suggestions:

Buried deep on the Princess "Accessible Cruising" page they mention an email address accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com to handle things like mobility assistance and service animal requests.  They might also be able to help answer your questions.

If your daughter enjoys watching videos, there are some on YouTube that show the embarkation process in Seattle, like this and this.  That would give her (and you) some idea what to expect when you arrive.

I hope everything works out well and all of you have a great cruise!

Edited by smf81
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, jeromep said:

Princess uses Pier 91 (Smith Cove).  The only reliable way to get there from anyplace is via taxi, carshare (Uber/Lyft), or shuttle van.  I would encourage using a carshare service before any of the others.  Easy to determine where they are as you are waiting for them to pick you up, plus you pick your exact end point and the carshare driver knows exactly where you need to be dropped off.  Your travel party size will probably require an UberXL or equivalent.

Boarding groups with Princess are a suggestion, not a rule.  You don't really need to pay any attention to them, because port staff and Princess certainly don't.  If you are in the waiting hall and they are boarding the ship, you'll be queued up to go on board.  If you are in a suite or Elite with Princess you may have priority boarding.  But if you arrive at or before 11, you'll flow through security and then into the waiting hall, and if they are boarding the ship, right onto the ship.

They service two ships at a time on Pier 91, typically a HAL cruise is also embarking while Princess is embarking.  The porters and staff will be asking if you are Princess or HAL and point you in the right direction.

The passenger terminal at Pier 91 is a newer facility, but not brand new.  It is quite large, and the waiting hall is very open.  There will be a lot of background noise.  I think it is worse than the airport, but that is just me.

I've always felt that boarding cruise ships is a bit chaotic, even if it is organized. I don't envy your need to try to pre-communicate to your child what is going to occur, because, honestly, there is no good way to do so in this kind of environment.  Princess will only start boarding the ship after every passenger from the previous cruise is off the ship.  While Princess provides a nice and relaxing cruise, that last morning on board is a lot like the "Bu-bye" skits that were on Saturday Night Live in the 90s; they want you off the ship and they make no bones about getting you off the ship as quickly as possible; "Cruise is over, go home!"  So, while I don't really enjoy the cruise embarkation process, I find the disembarkation process even less hospitable.

Don't make dinner reservations through the app until you are on board.  And you can always call the dine line from your cabin to do that.  While the Medallion is very cool and is just a sophisticated replacement for the old cruise card, with some additional on board "geolocation" technology, the app is both a bit spotty in terms of its reliability, and its functionality on shore is pretty limited to what it can do until you are on board.  I think the app works fairly well on board for its intended purpose.  I would recommend ensuring that you have the most recent version of the app on your device before you get on board.  As for dining, if you need a secluded corner of an MDR, they will do their best to accommodate you, but as others have said, you'll be dining later to get that kind of accommodation.  I find that MDR service is much better if you dine later in the evening rather than earlier.

You won't starve on board and shouldn't feel attached to a dining schedule.  Free food and small bites are always available at the International Cafe, 24/7.  You might find the buffet more to your liking depending on the evening and how everyone is feeling. There is a lot of dining space in and around the Horizon Court (or is it the World Fresh Marketplace on the Royal?).  It wouldn't be hard to find a corner and take it over.  Specialty restaurants like Sabatini's and Crown Grill often have secluded spaces, if you are up for a cover charge meal that is a bit elevated over the MDR.  And don't forget, pizza, burgers and dogs are available at the pizza stand and grill on the Lido deck near the main pool.

Assuming that the Medallion and app are working properly and the ship is not understaffed, you can also order "room service" from the app and they will deliver it to wherever you happen to be, not just in your room.

Jeromep, you are my new best friend. THANK YOU for all this information and for understanding the need to precommunicate situations to my child. All this information is immeasurably helpful! Thanks again!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

My grandson is on the Spectrum,  mild CP and limited vision in one eye and loves cruising and especially Princess.  He had eating issues when he first started cruising (18 years ago) and the dining personnel couldn't do enough to bring him food textures he could eat.  I am sure if you ask for a quieter area they will work to find a table for you.  If your daughter is comfortable meeting people, be sure to introduce her to as many crew - CD and their staff, other officers and crew.  Even Captains have gone way beyond with talking to my grandson. On the Enchanted Princess Nov 2021, we did   meet an Officer with ADA responsibilities and he said they were also on all the other ships if someone needed assistance or had questions.  Have a great cruise.

Thank you so much for sharing these experiences, it means a lot to hear from another traveler with an ASD kid. As you guessed she would LOVE meeting with officers, crew, and basically anyone on the staff. Thanks for the suggestion to reach out to an Officer with ADA responsibilities. I'm thinking I'll write up our experiences and share after for other autism families. She's going to have a sunflower lanyard and hopefully the crew will be aware of its significance. Thanks again!

11 hours ago, smf81 said:

A couple of suggestions:

Buried deep on the Princess "Accessible Cruising" page they mention an email address accessofficeprincess@princesscruises.com to handle things like mobility assistance and service animal requests.  They might also be able to help answer your questions.

If your daughter enjoys watching videos, there are some on YouTube that show the embarkation process in Seattle, like this and this.  That would give her (and you) some idea what to expect when you arrive.

I hope everything works out well and all of you have a great cruise!

Thank you so much, this is exactly the information I was searching for!! I love this forum, such kind and helpful folks. I am definitely going to have her watch the videos - one of the things people frequently don't understand about autism is how much the unknown unsettles these kids, and that videos like these will make everything a lot easier. I really appreciate you!

In ou r recent experiences, the color of your lane means nothing. When you get there they will put you in groups. Those with disabilities and their party will board first. Then it is Elite/Platinum/ Suites and then everybody else else. We have boarded in Seattle about 3 times. Parking is easy and convenient. 

I can not believe someone told you that you would tendering! Good grief!

5 hours ago, edub said:

Thank you so much for sharing these experiences, it means a lot to hear from another traveler with an ASD kid. As you guessed she would LOVE meeting with officers, crew, and basically anyone on the staff. Thanks for the suggestion to reach out to an Officer with ADA responsibilities. I'm thinking I'll write up our experiences and share after for other autism families. She's going to have a sunflower lanyard and hopefully the crew will be aware of its significance. Thanks again!

Forgot to mention, that if your roll call has a Meet & Greet set up, that is one way to introduce your daughter to the Officers , etc.  Also let her know the Security Officer's  uniform color is white with bars on the shoulder.  They used to be black.  Only one time we forgot to tell my grandson where to meet us on deck 5 to go ashore and he wasn't there when we got off the elevator.  We panicked but he had found a security officer who was in the process of helping him find us as we walked up to them.  Grandson wasn't in the least worried - we were. 

Edited by coo359a2
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 12:47 PM, nini said:

In ou r recent experiences, the color of your lane means nothing. When you get there they will put you in groups. Those with disabilities and their party will board first. Then it is Elite/Platinum/ Suites and then everybody else else. We have boarded in Seattle about 3 times. Parking is easy and convenient. 

I can not believe someone told you that you would tendering! Good grief!

What she said (the person on the Princess help line) was that people would help transport us from the embarkation point to the ship - she didn't say tender, but I didn't know what else she would be talking about. But she also said even though embarkation began at 11a no one could board the ship until 1p because transporation didn't begin until 12:30p. It sounded off to me, and I chalked it up to what I suspected to be an offshore call center with misinformed employees. So helpful to have actual cruisers on this board with the right information. I feel a bit sorry for the help line employees, since they clearly want to do a good job, yet very clearly seem to have never been on a ship or have any first hand knowledge.  

2 hours ago, edub said:

What she said (the person on the Princess help line) was that people would help transport us from the embarkation point to the ship - she didn't say tender, but I didn't know what else she would be talking about. But she also said even though embarkation began at 11a no one could board the ship until 1p because transporation didn't begin until 12:30p. It sounded off to me, and I chalked it up to what I suspected to be an offshore call center with misinformed employees. So helpful to have actual cruisers on this board with the right information. I feel a bit sorry for the help line employees, since they clearly want to do a good job, yet very clearly seem to have never been on a ship or have any first hand knowledge.  

Exactly!

4 hours ago, edub said:

But she also said even though embarkation began at 11a no one could board the ship until 1p because transporation didn't begin until 12:30p. It sounded off to me, and I chalked it up to what I suspected to be an offshore call center with misinformed employees.

Basic telephone customer service at Princess has been severely lacking through the restart.  It has been pretty bad.

4 hours ago, edub said:

It sounded off to me, and I chalked it up to what I suspected to be an offshore call center with misinformed employees.

While I'm not a huge fan of the call centers blatantly misinforming callers, I also encourage all of us to consider the difficulty of handling a cruise line call center where you have all types of calls coming in and the quantity of data about ports, itineraries, ships, embarkation, disembarkation, and such is highly variable different for every port.  The embarkation at one port may not look anything like the embarkation at another port.  Cruising is a highly variable product and all the documentation in the world can't solve for what an employee in a call center needs to know do to their job effectively.

4 hours ago, edub said:

So helpful to have actual cruisers on this board with the right information. I feel a bit sorry for the help line employees, since they clearly want to do a good job, yet very clearly seem to have never been on a ship or have any first hand knowledge. 

We don't always get it right here.  Read some of the other threads and you'll see varying levels of accuracy of information, heated disagreement amongst posters, personal opinions that are "sold" as fact and some folks that are just as blatantly inaccurate as some of the call center staff.  I'm glad you believe you have been properly informed.