Sunshine and weather

Thenagers

So the port of Charleston had to close because of winds this morning. The Sunshine has yet to dock from its returning cruise. People boarding today have been told not to come to the port because they can’t even park them until the others leave. It is also being reported they are getting horrible seas while they wait off coast. I know many drive to this port but it reinforces the need for travel insurance especially if flying.

11 minutes ago, shof515 said:

it looks like the ship is finally about to the enter the harbor and should be docking in about 1 hour

There are reports of damage from a big wave. People embarking today are being offered refund and FCC to reschedule. Sounds like some cabins were damaged? Definitely heard there was broken glass. 

There's some video links on facebook that show some of the swells they were sailing in, and it doesn't look fun for most folks (unless you like roller coasters like I do!).

Link

Edited by notscb
link

We just off from the Mardi Gras - the weather was rough the night of May 26th.   Since the ship was so big - I don't think there was any issues on this ship - but I went out on the 9th floor balcony - and it was blowing water up on my deck - I could see it flying in the air from my balcony - the seas were boiling!

1 hour ago, BigAl94 said:

Absolutely criminal from a crew comfort and safety perspective

Criminal? I'm sure if she were unsafe the US Coast Guard would have said so. And everyone here knows the cries would have been loud if this week's sailing had been unnecessarily canceled.

Several years ago Glory was absolutely gashed by Legend if I recall correctly. Carnival did emergency repairs in New Orleans and sailed on as scheduled that week. Only later were full repairs made.

I'm sure full assessments are being made during this voyage and that critical parts and craftsmen will be aboard shortly. The show necessarily goes on if it is safe to do so.

• Like 6

I wonder why the Captain made the decision to go into that storm instead of wait it out further away.  It's not like those conditions should have been a total surprise with currently available satellite weather technology.

• Like 6

most likely the captain was trying to beat the storm to get to port early then the officials closed the port causing that plan to get canceled forcing to the ship to wait it out at sea.

if they had any advance warnings of the impending port closing then the ship could of stay behind the storm in calmer waters. weather technology only comes so far when you bound by what port officials tell you

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

"A cruise ship was flooded and passengers evacuated after it sailed directly into a storm pounding the coast of South Carolina."

Who sails directly into a storm on purpose?

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

"A cruise ship was flooded and passengers evacuated after it sailed directly into a storm pounding the coast of South Carolina."

On my first cruise back in '07, on the OG Celebration.  We were coming back from Key West to the Port of Jacksonville.  The caption said there was a sub tropical storm (this was also in May)  in front of us and he was going to go around it so we will be late getting back to Jacksonville.  Sometime during the night, we were awaken to huge waves and wind.  Being my first cruise, I was scared to death.  We found out in the morning that the captian decided to go through the storm.  I don't know what his reasoning was and we were'nt given an explanation.

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Like 1

We were on that one. Out of 14 cruises, definitely the worst weather we've been in. Why sail right into the middle of a storm (that you KNOW is there) and basically park while the ship gets tossed around like a toy in a bathtub? I didn't mind being late, but how about sit somewhere in the ocean where the storm isn't

We had a 6th floor balcony and at some point in the middle of the night I saw waves higher than my window. When we were hit with a really bad one, the balcony door flew open and everything on the tables was knocked to the floor. I had to grab onto the mattress to keep from being flung to the floor too, lol. No information on the TV, so all we could do was hang on and wait it out. Not fun.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

A cruise line and captain that made some poor decisions. I would want a refund.That looks horrific. All about the $$.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, waywyrd said:

We were on that one. Out of 14 cruises, definitely the worst weather we've been in. Why sail right into the middle of a storm (that you KNOW is there) and basically park while the ship gets tossed around like a toy in a bathtub? I didn't mind being late, but how about sit somewhere in the ocean where the storm isn't

We had a 6th floor balcony and at some point in the middle of the night I saw waves higher than my window. When we were hit with a really bad one, the balcony door flew open and everything on the tables was knocked to the floor. I had to grab onto the mattress to keep from being flung to the floor too, lol. No information on the TV, so all we could do was hang on and wait it out. Not fun.

I would want a full refund...poor decision by Carnival and Captain. I would not want FCC only refund.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I saw that article on my news page this morning.  A bit sensationalist!  "Ship nearly destroyed...."

Now that pictures are appearing on the internet of flooded hallways, destroyed shopping areas and no word from the captain for 12 hrs, would indicate it was a little more than a slight bump in the night. CCL already offering FCC and refunds. Will await the law suits!

• Like 2