QM2 Alternative Dining?

DaisyUK

Just checking through our booking for our QM2 cruise next week, and see that there are some alternative dining options (Asian, Indian, Mediterranean etc). Are these the 'pop-up' restaurants which I have seen referred to from time to time? Or permanent restaurants? Are they all open every evening? Thanks for any insight.

The rear port side portion of Kings Court is reserved for these dining options. Tables are set with linen tablecloths, place settings and waiter and sommelier service is included. It is not self service. The thoroughfare from D stairway is closed so there is no through traffic making the experience very pleasant. 

There is usually a published rota which lets you know in advance which night is the Mediterranean theme etc., I believe the restaurants operate every night of the voyage. 

• Like 3

Thank you Yaldi, that's most helpful. We've only been on the QM2 once, and that was for a very short break just to see whether it was our cup of tea, or not. I don't recall having seen these dining options, but perhaps they only have them on longer sailings. Good to know, and thanks again..

Before the dreaded lurgy struck, we had a very nice meal on Saturday in La Piazza on QV. Just as well we did as it turned out. The portions are enormous. We shared an antipasti starter and the puds, and still only just managed to finish.

4 hours ago, Yaldi said:

The rear port side portion of Kings Court is reserved for these dining options. Tables are set with linen tablecloths, place settings and waiter and sommelier service is included. It is not self service. The thoroughfare from D stairway is closed so there is no through traffic making the experience very pleasant. 

There is usually a published rota which lets you know in advance which night is the Mediterranean theme etc., I believe the restaurants operate every night of the voyage. 

There are signs and barrier asking politely for those in Princess Grill not to use Kings Court Alternative venue as a thoroughfare but unfortunately there are many ignorant people who ignore it and used it on Thursday night. By the way the Coriander is excellent and great value as purchased pre cruise with a discount making it $20pp.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

We would like to do the Italian and the Indian, maybe even the Asian pop up for a ten day TA to Hamburg.

Should we book ahead of time or wait until we get on board?   Are they worth it?.

We will be in the Princess Grills.

13 hours ago, Judyrem said:

We would like to do the Italian and the Indian, maybe even the Asian pop up for a ten day TA to Hamburg.

Should we book ahead of time or wait until we get on board?   Are they worth it?.

We will be in the Princess Grills.

I have done the Indian and Italian, and they are both very nice, with huge helpings. But we made use of our World Club perk. I’m not sure I’d pay for them if I was in the Grills.

Same - He tried the Indian pop-up on QV and it was very nice, but I'm not sure I'd pass over an  evening meal in the Grills restaurant for this even with my Diamond perk unless there was nothing we really fancied at all

This is my first sailing with Cunard and I was just wondering if we would be getting a bit blasé about the Grills every night.

We are dining at The Verandah one night.

Thank you both for the feedback!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

This is my first sailing with Cunard and I was just wondering if we would be getting a bit blasé about the Grills every night.

I would do a pop up rather than the Verandah. There is a fair degree of overlap with the Grills Menus, and I find the Verandah rather unwelcoming and intimidating whereas the pop ups have always seemed fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I would do a pop up rather than the Verandah. There is a fair degree of overlap with the Grills Menus, and I find the Verandah rather unwelcoming and intimidating whereas the pop ups have always seemed fun.

Thanks, good to know!  I may just cancel it!

We are more of a fun type of friends. 🙂

We do love our ethnic food and we live in a very diverse community!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

Thanks, good to know!  I may just cancel it!

We are more of a fun type of friends. 🙂

We do love our ethnic food and we live in a very diverse community!

Pop Ups for us too but then like  exlondoner , they come as a Diamond perk and we only dine there if dining with friends either not at our table or not in our particular restaurant.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Judyrem said:

We’ve been in PG and the more you dine with your wait staff, the more they get to know you and build outstanding rapport. For our last night, they prepared an off-menu Indian vegetarian feast for us that was so authentic and excellent.  Don’t worry, I still ordered a wonderful aged steak to go with that feast and our waiter wanted us to eat more!
I’d say stick with PG, especially for dinner, and use the pub as a break for a lunch or two. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NE John said:

We’ve been in PG and the more you dine with your wait staff, the more they get to know you and build outstanding rapport. For our last night, they prepared an off-menu Indian vegetarian feast for us that was so authentic and excellent.  Don’t worry, I still ordered a wonderful aged steak to go with that feast and our waiter wanted us to eat more!
I’d say stick with PG, especially for dinner, and use the pub as a break for a lunch or two. 

One of the best things about the Grills is having the same waiting staff, who are usually kind, lovely, competent, and know your preferences as well as you do. It is surprising how much of a benefit it is.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

One of the best things about the Grills is having the same waiting staff, who are usually kind, lovely, competent, and know your preferences as well as you do. It is surprising how much of a benefit it is.

This is true even in Britannia - we has the same waiters in 2010, 2017 & 2022 - and on our 2019 sailing they stoped by to say hello.

• Like 2

BTW, can we do a pop up without a reservation?

I also have The Veranda on a formal night and I think I need to change or cancel it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

BTW, can we do a pop up without a reservation?

I also have The Veranda on a formal night and I think I need to change or cancel it.

You need to reserve the pop up. There is usually a list in your cabin of,which one is which night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

You need to reserve the pop up. There is usually a list in your cabin of,which one is which night. 

I just cancelled The Verandah and did two pop ups, Italian and Indian.

I realized I didn't really want to schedule The Veranda on a formal night.

That's why I am here,  learning from the experts!😀

• Like 3