Guaranteed Stateroom Not So Guaranteed?

Dreamscaper

Guest ldtr
7 minutes ago, Dreamscaper said:

our code was BA, mid ship, mid level.  R702 is definitely aft, lower category.

We would prefer not to cancel entirely as we are booked to go with my sister in law, we just want what we contracted for at the price we contracted for.  Time will tell if we get it.

In both Royal class and Grand class ship that would put you in a BD.  You can always make that argument.  At the very least they should owe you the difference booking a guarantee is a specific location and a guarantee without any location selected.  Not much but there is a difference.

However at least you ended up on the same deck.

11 minutes ago, ldtr said:

In both Royal class and Grand class ship that would put you in a BD.  You can always make that argument.  At the very least they should owe you the difference booking a guarantee is a specific location and a guarantee without any location selected.  Not much but there is a difference.

However at least you ended up on the same deck.

We're good having them select the cabin for us - within our guaranteed booking location.  I'd rather be a different mid-level floor but still mid ship than put in the back.  I'm reading from some of the replies here that aft isn't that bad, but on principle the very least they should do is refund the difference in price (aft is a lower category price than mid ship), even if it's not that much, and maybe throw in an apology dinner or OBC or something.

But it does look like we will be getting that cabin as promised come mid-August - or so they say, they've assured us and I'm *reasonably* confident, but not 100% so.  It will be in a location of their choosing, but at least it will be in our promised category.  My only concern now is if the price changes.  Time will tell.

Edited by Dreamscaper
clarification
  • Like 1

The big kicker in this that your CVP wasn't able to help in this matter. Shouldn't be the customer who has to do the leg work in getting resolved. CVP should be your contact to listen, act and remedy where applicable. Something wrong with this current process. Another reason I use my own VP.   

• Like 3

I feel for the OP - that's a tough spot to be in.

The cabin categorization system is interesting.  Everyone has their own preference to location based on amenities as well as propensity of motion sickness.  Princess (and most cruise lines really) have sorted cabins by seemingly arbitrary categories based on proximity to the middle of deck 9 on most ships.  There are exceptions, but by and large, that's how its working.  Yet it seems like most passengers either only care about the size of the cabin (meta categories) or if there is an obstruction.  Some seasoned travelers wish to be on Lido deck, or deck 5 on Grand class ships, and there are a variety of other preferences.  I think the lesson here is that guarantee bookings are not for folks who have strong preferences about their location.

For instance, for me, on a grand class ship, I prefer insides on Lido deck or aft on Aloha/Riviera decks for proximity to the terrace pool and horizon court.  If I get an "upgrade", I only want it to a balcony - I'm rarely in my room so a window cabin isn't worth it much, and I want to be near the top decks.  So my main choices are categories IF or IE and if I don't get one of those, I'll take BF or BE cabins on the upper decks. If I get an "upgrade" from an IF or IE to an IC or IB, I'll be pretty unhappy since its basically the same room layout, in a location that I've determined is less desirable to me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

@Dreamscaper

Assuming you're correct about the "mid-ship guarantee," I'd cancel, get my deposit back, and say "bye-bye" to Princess. There are other (and better) cruise lines out there. You don't need the hassle.

Jim

Princess guarantees have always been for a category and in the event those are not available then they can give you a higher category but location may be totally different. Perhaps you didn’t understand what you booked

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dreamscaper said:

We're good having them select the cabin for us - within our guaranteed booking location.  I'd rather be a different mid-level floor but still mid ship than put in the back.  I'm reading from some of the replies here that aft isn't that bad, but on principle the very least they should do is refund the difference in price (aft is a lower category price than mid ship), even if it's not that much, and maybe throw in an apology dinner or OBC or something.

But it does look like we will be getting that cabin as promised come mid-August - or so they say, they've assured us and I'm *reasonably* confident, but not 100% so.  It will be in a location of their choosing, but at least it will be in our promised category.  My only concern now is if the price changes.  Time will tell.

You’re right. The cabin they have assigned is a lower category and had you picked that location in the first place you would have paid less, so they owe you something.

We actually love aft cabins and especially on Riviera deck it’s so close to run up the stairs to the buffet or the gym. Stairs (and elevators if you use them) are also less crowded than midship. But I get that that’s not what you chose and you should get some satisfaction here.

Also as others have said, this is in your PVP to be fixing this for you. He/she should be in the phone for 2 hours to fix it, not you. That’s their job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Yes, it does say that, but it also says this:

"Princess will assign your stateroom prior to sailing

Selecting this option will guarantee a stateroom assignment in this location or a comparable location prior to sailing."

I guess this would beg the question of what a comparable location would be.

This is interesting.  It used to say you were guaranteed the same category you booked or a higher category.  If they've changed it to "a comparable location" and considering a BD as comparable to a BA, that's pretty bad.

2 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

Never heard of a "guarantee" for a specific portion of the ship.  It has only been recently that Princess started to offer the lower prices for the 'guarantee' cabins, that had previously only been offered by discount consolidators.  Prior to that, you always had to select a cabin if booking online, as well as booking through most travel agents.  Was also told by a future cruise consultant that the 'guarantee' cabins will almost always be forward or aft, and most likely on the higher decks, i.e. the lower priced ones that people would not pay to reserve.  In our case, we have to reserve a cabin because we require an ADA cabin.

You absolutely can book a guarantee for a specific location on the ship, Princess has been doing this for some time now.  I've bumped into it multiple times when ships are close to selling out.  Here's an example I just pulled up for a cruise I'd been looking at.

Screenshot 2023-05-30 1.48.52 PM.png

• Like 5

Just now, memoak said:

Princess guarantees have always been for a category and in the event those are not available then they can give you a higher category but location may be totally different. Perhaps you didn’t understand what you booked

I thought they said they booked a BA and were assigned a BD. Princess is running 2 types of guarantees these days it looks like. They have the “ we pick your cabin” which is a true old style guarantee, and “you pick your cabin”, which then takes you to the choices and different prices based on location. The trouble is there are often no cabins available in certain locations, so rather than saying “sold out” they let you pick that location as a guarantee and pay the cost associated with a cabin in that location. It looks like they are waitlisting people on the locations they have chosen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, iamaqt2 said:

You absolutely can book a guarantee for a specific location on the ship, Princess has been doing this for some time now.

Yes, and the guarantee for a Midship location is more expensive than a guarantee for a Mid-Aft, Mid-Forward, Aft or Forward.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, iamaqt2 said:

You absolutely can book a guarantee for a specific location on the ship, Princess has been doing this for some time now.  I've bumped into it multiple times when ships are close to selling out.  Here's an example I just pulled up for a cruise I'd been looking at.

Screenshot 2023-05-30 1.48.52 PM.png

I think I was posting the same thing at the same time, but you are much clearer! So, they are managing to get hundreds of dollars more for a guarantee basically and you still might not get that location it sounds like. 

• Like 2

Just now, sunviking90 said:

I think I was posting the same thing at the same time, but you are much clearer! So, they are managing to get hundreds of dollars more for a guarantee basically and you still might not get that location it sounds like. 

That's a major bait and switch on the part of Princess if they can't deliver on the guarantee.  At a VERY minimum OP should get a free upgrade if no midship balconies on the deck they booked open up.  Otherwise Princess needs to discontinue selling specific guaranteed cabin types in a very specific location.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

That's a major bait and switch on the part of Princess if they can't deliver on the guarantee.  At a VERY minimum OP should get a free upgrade if no midship balconies on the deck they booked open up.  Otherwise Princess needs to discontinue selling specific guaranteed cabin types in a very specific location.

To be fair, I think I understand how it works now - they probably book X number of bookings into the category with enough cabins to cover the commitment, but they're all "waitlisted" for when they assign them in August.  What I don't understand is why my sister in law was assigned a (properly located) cabin in the meantime, while we were assigned the wrong category cabin ourselves.  This threw us for a loop and in trying to fix it, we're in a worse off spot now, and while I believe we will eventually get a cabin in the category we chose, I can only take their word for it.  I do NOT understand why we can't be placed back into the price point we contracted at right now though, and I am nervous as to whether or not that will ever happen, but I have no way of knowing at this time.

2 minutes ago, Dreamscaper said:

To be fair, I think I understand how it works now - they probably book X number of bookings into the category with enough cabins to cover the commitment, but they're all "waitlisted" for when they assign them in August.  What I don't understand is why my sister in law was assigned a (properly located) cabin in the meantime, while we were assigned the wrong category cabin ourselves.  This threw us for a loop and in trying to fix it, we're in a worse off spot now, and while I believe we will eventually get a cabin in the category we chose, I can only take their word for it.  I do NOT understand why we can't be placed back into the price point we contracted at right now though, and I am nervous as to whether or not that will ever happen, but I have no way of knowing at this time.

Dreamscaper.. call your PVP and tell them to handle this.. that is their job.  And Princess wasn't going to honor the guarantee you booked and paid for when they did place you in a lower category cabin in a less desirable location.  Calling Princess customer service is a crap shoot these days on whether you'll get someone with the knowledge to get you where you need to be.  Many times I reach a Phillipines call center.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Dreamscaper.. call your PVP and tell them to handle this.. that is their job.  And Princess wasn't going to honor the guarantee you booked and paid for when they did place you in a lower category cabin in a less desirable location.  Calling Princess customer service is a crap shoot these days on whether you'll get someone with the knowledge to get you where you need to be.  Many times I reach a Phillipines call center.

Thanks!  I've had it for today - and have a bunch of things to do right now - but I will definitely take your advice and call the planner, there is NO way I shouldn't be guaranteed the originally booked price at the very least right now.  It may be a couple of days before I get a big enough block of time to do this (these calls are always extremely lengthy), but I will definitely do it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

No, you can also book a guarantee for a metacategory. OP said they have category BA noted on their reservation.  I have an IA guarantee booked on Island at the end of June and no cabin assigned yet, and there are only about a dozen IA cabins on the ship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisingrob21 said:

I feel for the OP - that's a tough spot to be in.

The cabin categorization system is interesting.  Everyone has their own preference to location based on amenities as well as propensity of motion sickness.  Princess (and most cruise lines really) have sorted cabins by seemingly arbitrary categories based on proximity to the middle of deck 9 on most ships.  There are exceptions, but by and large, that's how its working.  Yet it seems like most passengers either only care about the size of the cabin (meta categories) or if there is an obstruction.  Some seasoned travelers wish to be on Lido deck, or deck 5 on Grand class ships, and there are a variety of other preferences.  I think the lesson here is that guarantee bookings are not for folks who have strong preferences about their location.

For instance, for me, on a grand class ship, I prefer insides on Lido deck or aft on Aloha/Riviera decks for proximity to the terrace pool and horizon court.  If I get an "upgrade", I only want it to a balcony - I'm rarely in my room so a window cabin isn't worth it much, and I want to be near the top decks.  So my main choices are categories IF or IE and if I don't get one of those, I'll take BF or BE cabins on the upper decks. If I get an "upgrade" from an IF or IE to an IC or IB, I'll be pretty unhappy since its basically the same room layout, in a location that I've determined is less desirable to me. 

But if you book guarantee then you have no option. Better to pay and book the cabin you want. For those who want to save some money go ahead and book a guarantee but you can’t complain if they give you a higher category in an area you don’t like

• Like 2

Just now, Dreamscaper said:

our code was BA, mid ship, mid level.  R702 is definitely aft, lower category.

We would prefer not to cancel entirely as we are booked to go with my sister in law, we just want what we contracted for at the price we contracted for.  Time will tell if we get it.

If you are on a Royal class ship R702 is a BD balcony which is lower than a BA. If you have a guaranteed BA balcony you should get that category or higher!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dreamscaper said:

Our booking with Princess states Guaranteed Balcony - Deck Group Middle, Ship Zone Midship.

A few days ago I noticed we were assigned a cabin way in the AFT.

I called Princess, they tell me that all the current mid ship balconies are waitlisted by others wanting the same category.  We can be placed on that waitlist.  I said I want a guarantee, as stated in our booking that we accepted in good faith and placed our deposit based on that guarantee.

TWO HOURS (literally, no exaggeration) on the phone with Princess trying to get this resolved yesterday.  At one point I say ok, if there are no guaranteed staterooms in our "guaranteed" location, what can you do for us?  I see mini-suites available mid ship, what can you do there.

At one point the rep says that he thinks he can get the difference in price comped.  I know this sounds too good to be true, but hey, he said it.  In fact, he *did* say it could be comped.  I'm pleased.  It's been a long, stressful time on the phone, but they came out with a solution that made all the pain worth it.

Then he puts on on hold for the gazillionth time.  Comes back.  Guest services says no.  They're not even offering a price break to upgrade, or free OBC, or anything at all to compensate us for our waisted time and stress.

Best he can do is say we'll be "on the top" of the waitlist for the mid-ship balconies in August.

Now, I see that he has moved us into the previously discussed mini-suite.  And billed us for the upgrade (around $1,100 extra).  We never agreed to move and pay for this.  If comped, yes.  For $1,100, no!

I spoke to our "cruise vacation planner" this morning.  He can't help, says to call client services.  I have a call back placed with them, but I suspect this will be the same level of people who couldn't help me yesterday.

Waiting to hear from them now, but I am SO frustrated.  I want to love Princess (this will be our first cruise with them, having sailed Norwegian previously), but this is putting me into frustrated tears and hubby is already saying "never again".

Waiting for the call back, but my faith is beyond zero at this point.

Any advice?  Thanks for letting me vent.

How frustrating for you.  I would call back and ask for a supervisor.  Not sure they will connect you to one, but worth a try.

I had a random Cruise Vacation Planner call me to help with my 3 bookings.  We chatted a few minutes.  He had no idea what the Sanctuary is and he shared he had never been on a cruise nor out of the state he lives in.  I would expect a CVP to be very experienced - not so.  I do my own bookings.  

I sincerely hope you get your situation resolved to your satisfaction.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, memoak said:

But if you book guarantee then you have no option. Better to pay and book the cabin you want. For those who want to save some money go ahead and book a guarantee but you can’t complain if they give you a higher category in an area you don’t like

Agreed - booking guarantee forfeits any choice you might have - and really, its only an illusion, cruise lines can and will move you around to get a full ship, but booking guarantee means you'll be the first to get moved.  Booking a specific cabin means you'll be the last to be involuntarily moved.  It says it in the cruise contract I believe.

21 hours ago, Sprocket said:

Spells out pretty clearly if you want a specific location to book a cabin in that location.  

When booking on line, in most cases if you check that you want to choose a specific room, they still only offer a guaranty room. But even so, the room assigned should be in the area of the ship that you chose. I’ve found that if you book 3 in a room, there are many choices for specific rooms in all categories; very frustrating. I would bet that many get frustrated & just look at other lines. That’s what I’ve been doing.

On 5/30/2023 at 2:30 PM, SiliconCruiser said:

Never heard of a "guarantee" for a specific portion of the ship.  It has only been recently that Princess started to offer the lower prices for the 'guarantee' cabins, that had previously only been offered by discount consolidators.  Prior to that, you always had to select a cabin if booking online, as well as booking through most travel agents.  Was also told by a future cruise consultant that the 'guarantee' cabins will almost always be forward or aft, and most likely on the higher decks, i.e. the lower priced ones that people would not pay to reserve.  In our case, we have to reserve a cabin because we require an ADA cabin.

My understanding as well, with a guarantee they can literally put you anywhere on the ship in a category equal to or higher than what was booked. Now I have never tested this, as I have  never been brave enough to book guarantee......