LIVE, Resilient Lady- 6/4-6/11

MeganGC1983

The weather looks perfect for pre-embarkation in Athens. Meanwhile here in Oklahoma, it’s basically going to rain the whole time we are gone. I hope it drowns the snake and rodent populations that seemto be thriving this year. A day hasn’t gone by in May that I haven’t encountered a mouse or snake outside. They gotta go! Bring on St. Patrick or someone. 

172C9771-5ACB-4A1D-A70B-F27FAC8E9E7E.jpeg

18F80892-2CAD-4568-BB49-F3A30C05886D.jpeg

• Like 9

I have a purple Travelon bag and just love it. So many compartments and ways to keep things locked up. We had to go through a metal detector and have our bags examined at La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona and I noticed the guard knew exactly how to unfasten everything to look inside. I bet they see lots of those bags! 🤣

• Like 4

Just now, SenatorsFan said:

I have a purple Travelon bag and just love it. So many compartments and ways to keep things locked up. We had to go through a metal detector and have our bags examined at La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona and I noticed the guard knew exactly how to unfasten everything to look inside. I bet they see lots of those bags! 🤣

I’m sure. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Port planning-

After flights were booked, I did a deep dive into “things not to miss”. We aren’t huge Greek mythology people so Athens will most likely be our only “pile of rocks” interest. Beyond that, Santorini is really the highlight for me. DH, of course, wants to snorkel whenever and however. 
Santorini- The main issue here is getting to the top. Without an excursion, you can hike the stairs, wait in line for a cable car or ride a donkey. VV’s shore things had an excursion I liked that took you by boat to Oia and a couple of other stops for $35 pp. Then, magically, one day in the middle of April, it went up to $75 pp. I read, on the ports of call Greece page here on CC, that there was a boat company that would do the same thing for 30 euros pp, so I reserved the earliest tender time, 9am, on the app when they were posted, and the plan is to use that company to forego the Fira steps/cable car line, and get to Oia to explore on our own time. That’s most definitely going to be the longest port day because I want to try to catch the sunset from the port area before catching a tender back. 
Rhodes- plan is to explore the old town and maybe go to a beach. 
Bodrum- I’ve booked a Pirate ship excursion, outside of VV. It has 4 swim/snorkel spots and included lunch and drinks. I’d like to ride a camel at Camel Beach. After the excursion, hopefully head to the bazaar and shop. 
Mykonos- head to a beach club early before it gets too rowdy. I booked our tender time on the app for 10am. Clean up and go to dinner in Little Italy and explore. Probably enjoy some nightlife. 
All that really hinges on the TBD included excursion that we will learn more about Friday. 

Looking forward to your port information, especially Santorini.  It's on our list!!  Wishing you a wonderful trip.  The weather looks great for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome!  Can’t wait to get back to Greece. We went in 2106. Be sure to cross pack luggage and take stuff in backpack.  My luggage got lost by American and was delivered as we awaited our taxi to the ship.  Shopping on Americans dime near the port was not fun. Especially shoes.  My husband and son both got their luggage luckily I did put a few things in their bags. Our carryon they made us check at the gate was lost with my suitcase.  I’m going to invest in those bag tags. Don’t mean to stress you after other posts about luggage recently. 

• Like 7

19 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

“There’s two types of people: Greeks and everybody else who wishes they was Greek” - Gus Portokalos

Good evening, Cruise Critic! I’m interrupting all the other European lives to start my own. Join me as we fly to Athens and embark on the new-ish Resilient Lady calling on Santorini, Rhodes, Bodrum and Mykonos (for an overnight), then back to Athens for 2 days and a long layover in London. 
We will get all those daily planners, see the new shows, try the new menus, and as always, have a ton of cocktails. 
So hit that follow button, pack your air tag, and Let’s do Greece the Virgin Way! 🥂🥂

899FFA11-B41B-4478-AF89-ECDEB1CC3E24.jpeg

Sooooo excited 😊!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

I've never been "across the pond", and now you and Saint Greg are both there in the same week... I've gotta up my game...

Baby steps. Hernia fix first, Tribe cruise second, “international Sid” third! 😉

• Like 20
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, TheCruisingTeacher said:

How do you know about the themed nights on Resilient? 

I’ve been watching on the social medias via Happenings crew and the Mermaiden sailors. They have also been slowly added to my app when I browse the line up. Obviously there’s Scarlet night, gonna wear some gold for “we fancy” and 80’s gear for club rubix. 

604AD047-1D82-4DC7-9660-4D45D0A9DFCA.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Webecruzen said:

Awesome!  Can’t wait to get back to Greece. We went in 2106. Be sure to cross pack luggage and take stuff in backpack.  My luggage got lost by American and was delivered as we awaited our taxi to the ship.  Shopping on Americans dime near the port was not fun. Especially shoes.  My husband and son both got their luggage luckily I did put a few things in their bags. Our carryon they made us check at the gate was lost with my suitcase.  I’m going to invest in those bag tags. Don’t mean to stress you after other posts about luggage recently. 

Yes, after following along on the most recent Europe lives over on the “Carnival page”, I completely reevaluated my packing. I get a free carry on and personal item… I wasn’t going to bring a carry on. Now the carry on is loaded with my clothing and my suitcase is mostly filled with oversized liquid ie sunscreen, face soap, lotion, etc. and there’s plenty of room for souvenirs. It only weights 24 lbs. Definitely the lightest my checked bag has ever weighed. 😆

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

I’ve officially called it a full work day. It’s nacho Wednesday tonight at my house. We cleaned out the fridge Sunday, and the kids have never seen it look this empty. The last thing I need is to come home to nasty in there. Due to the lack of Survivor tonight, I’ll get them packed up after dinner. Should be pretty easy since it’s summer. They have very little on the agenda besides living their best lives at Meme’s swimming in her pool… and summer ballet for the oldest. Cheers Cruise Critic! I know y’all were getting thirsty. 

image.jpg

• Like 18

4 hours ago, pcrum said:

Looking forward to your port information, especially Santorini.  It's on our list!!  Wishing you a wonderful trip.  The weather looks great for you!

Fingers crossed. I’m hoping to avoid the cable car line fiasco. 

• Like 2

Speaking of kids, this will be the longest time I’ve ever been away from them. With their crazy extracurriculars and school schedule, I would never leave all the spinning plates for longer than a week-ish. 8 day cruises have been pushing it. We’ve only taken one summer cruise and that was with the kids… Carnival Ecstasy (RIP) summer 2022. Not sure if I’d cruise other lines during the summer without them. I’m not a big fan of a ton of kids. Going kid free on a kid filled ship isn’t my idea of a good time.  That’s why Virgin Voyages being adults only is perfect, summer time or anytime. 😉

EDIT: Just kidding. I just remembered we cruised kid free last summer as well on the Carnival Liberty for a B2B. There was a lot of kids, but we had Cheers so 🤷🏼‍♀️!   😆

Edited by MeganGC1983
  • Like 2
  • Haha 11