Favorite Excursions - 7 day Inside Passage?

POA1

We have some friends looking at a 7 day r/t Vancouver next year. We gave them some ideas for excursions, but I was wondering what others would recommend. Thank you!

This will probably be their one chance to get to Alaska. They're open for anything and have no mobility issues. They'll probably stick with HAL excursions.

Depending on the ports and if cost is not an issue: Juneau- Taku Lodge. Whale watching 

Skagway- White Pass train , Glacier landing by helicopter.

Ketchikan: George’s Inlet Crab fest.

I’m sure there are many other suggestions.

• Thanks 1

If they are adventurous and not afraid of some sticker shock,the helicopter and glacier trek on Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau is a must. Definitely the highlight of our trip and a bucket list item for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From time to time they offer river rafting through the eagle preserve in Skagway.  (Gentle, easy rafting where you don't really get wet.)  We often talk about what a fun day that was.  Very scenic, with informative, enthusiastic guides.

• Thanks 1

Bering Sea Fisherman’s Tour in Ketchikan, Either Tracy Arm small ship excursion or Taku Glacier Lodge by dloat plane in Juneau, Skagway White Pass bus and train combo or better yet take the Bennett Lake excursion., Steve Kroschel’s animal rescue in Haines,   Sitka sea otter excursion and the Fortress of the Bears/Raptor Center combo.  Icy Strait is recommended for whale watching but we didn’t see any in May when we were there.  

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Juneau:  Mendenhall Glacier—Several different HAL excursions, some are short, some longer giving you time to do some hiking, and one that also includes a salmon bake lunch that’s really good. 

Skagway:  The train!  Best Alaska excursion I’ve been on. Several versions, one goes up and back—no getting off, and some go up on the train then getting off with a variety of different things to do and bus back down.  We also enjoyed walking around the quaint small town. 

Ketchikan:  We usually just walk around, making sure to walk past Dolly’s house and shop. Great shopping and I usually purchase my gifts and souvenirs here. We also eat lunch here. 

Just make your friends know that one cruise won’t be enough!  

• Thanks 1

Ketchikan - the guided self-drive ATV. It travels abandoned logging trails and is great for rainy days (as Ketchikan tends to be). Scenery is awesome.

The other excursions mentioned by others are fabulous and make me want to go back. Was just there in May!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was pleased this year with all my choices. I do highly recommend the basic Mendenhall Glacier tour, and the basic White Pass Summit Railway ride.

The Mendenhall tour is short but inexpensive. There's a bit of a rush to walk to the waterfall and get back in time for the documentary at the Visitors Center. Would recommend that those not really mobile should just walk a short distance to the 'lake' and the 'icebergs'. And, take the view from the elevated viewpoint at the Visitors Center.

Be aware that the bus pick-up point near the Visitors Center is a zoo. Make sure that you remember your bus number and driver. He's picking you up and driving you back to the ship.

The White Pass railway drives up the mountain on one side of a deep canyon. On the other side is the Yukon highway. This is rugged  terrain of rock, pine trees and ice. At the summit, the train circles around a loop and returns to the coast. At this elevation in May, the snowbanks are 20' high. On the way back, there is a glimpse of the town in the far distance, and your ship (black funnel) might just be visible. 

The train is pulled by a diesel engine, and our outing had 14 rail cars (@400 pax). The problem occurred at the return of the 9am tour, as returning pax ran into the pax debarking for the 1pm tour. The tide was high, and only one gangway was in use.

Being smarter than the average pax, I walked away from the mob at the pier. Took a leisurely walk to use the restroom at the Seaplane office. Took a walk to the bridge over the Skagway River. After 30 minutes, I returned to the pier to find just a single long queue stretching from the road to the gangway. 

Juneau DSC_4135 Mendenhall Glacier.jpg

Juneau DSC_4137 Mendenhall Glacier.jpg

Skagway DSC_4185 White Pass.jpg

Skagway DSC_4214 White Pass.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the replies! Very helpful.

Doee anyone have experience with the Salmon Bake? The reviews on the HAL site are mixed but I know our friends like salmon.

Last fall in Ketchikan we really enjoyed the Silverking Lodge seafood feast and boat ride to get there. The scenery on the boat ride is amazing and the seafood feast (a seafood boil) both exceeded our expectations. The hosts at the lodge were welcoming and the brief walk through the rainforest at the lodge was otherwordly. Our expectations were exceeded. 

in Skagway i would go back for the fry bread at the small shop in town (on a side street off the main road). Eating that warm, cinnamon sugar crispy yet pillowy treat was heavenly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems as though the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion is the way to go on a first cruise to Alaska. 

The ship drops off passengers going on this excursion at approximately 0900. Would approximating a 1000 start time for this excursion be an appropriate guesstimate for those that have done this before?

The excursion lasts approximately 6 hours. So, you may be back to the ship around 1600 (4 pm). The ship is in Juneau until 2200 (10 pm). 

My question is... if going on this excursion, does it legitimately leave any time for an additional excursion in Juneau? Or is this where one must make a decision - either Tracy Arm or a Juneau excursion? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrSnuffleupagus said:

...The excursion lasts approximately 6 hours. So, you may be back to the ship around 1600 (4 pm). The ship is in Juneau until 2200 (10 pm). 

My question is... if going on this excursion, does it legitimately leave any time for an additional excursion in Juneau? Or is this where one must make a decision - either Tracy Arm or a Juneau excursion? 

I can't comment on the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion as our visit to TAF was canceled due to ice, but I would jump on it if it was available. I understand they sell out quickly. 

As for doing a 2nd excursion same day in Juneau, you would likely have time if you find a late day start, which there usually are. The Mt Roberts Tramway runs all day, so you would be able to go up there and enjoy the view and hiking trails. There are also evening whale watching excursions.

If you can grab a rental for the evening (we've gotten one for earlier in the day & don't know if they're available for later or not) you can venture out on your own - there is a lot to see. The rental pick up is very close to the pier.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, POA1 said:

Doee anyone have experience with the Salmon Bake? The reviews on the HAL site are mixed but I know our friends like salmon.

My husband really enjoyed the salmon bake - I had the chicken. There was time to explore on your own and the area was really pretty - waterfalls and an old mine.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, POA1 said:

Your friends will love the salmon on the Hal’s menu every day.  King salmon is excellent in the Pinnacle grill..  The Taku Glacier Lodge excursion includes lunch including salmon perfectly cooked outside on the grill.  

• Thanks 1

We originally cruised to Alaska in 2014 on the Volendam and just recently returned from the Koningsdam, both Inside Passages.  The Volendam was the first cruise of the season and it left mid week while the Koningsdam left on the weekend.  What a difference a couple of days made.

The Volendam sailed at less than full occupancy and we were the only ship in the ports.  The Koningsdam sailed at full capacity and at every port we were joined by 3 - 4 other large ships from HAL, X and Princess.  The port experiences on our most recent cruise was the very essence of the worst criticism of cruise ships - large ships all sailing into small ports and unloading thousands of passengers.  

While in ports there were thousands of cruise passengers everywhere.  It was difficult to even walk on the sidewalks in Skagway.  We had tour tickets for the Juneau tram and the line up was through the building, out the back and down the pier.  The lineup didn't stop all day.  We never did make it.  The streets and sidewalks of every port were over run with cruise passengers.  This also means that the excursion operators were also over run with cruise passengers.

This experience has taught me the importance of not only researching the ship and itinerary, but also researching how many other ships will also be following along with you on your travels.  Multiple large cruise ships in port at the same time really does change the port experience, and not for the better.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The one thing you didn't mention was money.  The BEST options are pricey and can eclipse the cost of the cruise itself.  We did several of the recommendations from others back in 2018 and would do it again.  These include:

Juneau Day

- Tracy Arm small boat excursion (as the cruise ship passes the mouth of the Tracy Arm Fjord you hop onto a smaller 150 person boat that takes you into the Fjord and to Sawyer glacier...it then meets back up with the ship in Juneau) - 2023 price: $559 for 2 people

- Helicopter to Glacier - there are multiple versions of this (i.e. short flights and walks;  Longer treks on glacier; Dog sledding on glacier; longer flights with 2 separate landings, etc,) 2023 price: $800-$1100 for 2 people

- Other - you can do whale watching from here as well

Skagway Day

- Train - multiple versions (i.e. Summit and back; on to lake with kayaking, etc.) - 2023 Prices - not sure, but probably $250-$500 a couple (as an aside, we did the roundtrip to the Summit and back and would not likely do it again...not a lot of scenery until you are close to the top)

- Other - can do ziplining or helicopter rides here too

Ketchikan Day

- Bering Sea Crab Tour - $420 a couple

- Flightseeing over Misty Fjords - $650 to $700 a couple (note: we haven't done this yet, but want to 

• Thanks 1

My mom and dad are in their 70s. They booked the Duck Boat excursion in Ketchikan and were surprised at how much they enjoyed it. 

Mrs. Klutch and I went on an independent excursion through Wild Wolf Tours in Ketchikan. We were two of six people and rode in a van to the end of the road in Ketchikan. (Ketchikan roads don't connect to the outside world.)

We walked a well-improved trail down to a waterfall, through the rainforest and then onto a beach. We then stopped to visit a Totem Pole museum. It was great! There is very little risk of missing the ship on this excursion. Ketchikan is small and you're never that far from the pier. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, cabland said:

The one thing you didn't mention was money.  The BEST options are pricey and can eclipse the cost of the cruise itself. 

Thank you. I didn't mention it because I never want to spend someone else's money or decide how much they can/should spend.

On our Volendam Alaska cruise, we hired a floatplane in Ketchikan for just the 4 people in our group. We had a little island in Misty Fjords all to ourselves for about 20 minutes until another private hire arrived. (Then, there were 2 planes, 2 pilots & 8 pax on the little rock island. Crazy crowded!)

That was a fairly "spendy" excursion, but it was a highlight of our trip. I'm trying to present a range of options with feedback from you, the seasoned experts, so our friends can pick a good itinerary.

I really appreciate all the feedback. The activities don't have to be expensive, nor do they have to be bargains. I just wanted to see what people liked.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, POA1 said:

We’ve done that cruise several times, and the Salmon Bake in Juneau is one of our favourites! The food is plentiful and fresh - you’re watching them grill the salmon, it’s not steam table fare. There is a waterfall you can walk to, and a campfire where you can toast marshmallows. It’s a true Alaska experience! 
Mendenhall Glacier by helicopter is also a good one for someone on a first, and likely only, Alaska cruise. You can even do that AND the Salmon Bake on the same day.

Skagway - one of the White Pass Rail excursions for sure. There’s a wide variety, of varying hours and distances. That’s another true Alaska experience, and explores a side of Alaska you can’t see from the ship. It goes into Yukon Territory in Canada, so they need passports. 
Ketchican - we’ve done excursions, but our preference is to wander on foot there and get a really good Alaskan King Crab lunch. There is also a lumberjack show not far from the ship.  It’s also your best spot for picking up souvenirs for the folks back home, everything from bargain made in China keychains to pricier hand made in Alaska items.

Whatever they pick, they’ll have a great time.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

The Taku Glacier Lodge excursion includes lunch including salmon perfectly cooked outside on the grill.  

When I did this tour there was a resident bear who hung out in the tree over the grill while the salmon was being cooked. 
When the food was brought inside to be served, the bear would come down and eat the pickings off the grill. Dinner AND a show! 
What restaurant is going to give you that??? 
PLUS! No one has really mentioned that the flights over the ice getting there is so close to the ground that the views are incredible! I loved this excursion, and I don't even care for salmon. 

I have gone to Alaska so many times, and done practically all the shore excursions HAL offers, so I will say with utmost confidence, your friends can't really go wrong with whatever they choose. It all depends on their interests and what they want to spend. 
And don't forget things they can do on their own. For example, in Juneau there is the museum, not too far from the docks, and very, very interesting. In Skagway there is the National Park Service museum, and a local one further up the street, and down a side street. 

This is not a one & done destination. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2023 at 8:11 AM, Haljo1935 said:

I can't comment on the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion as our visit to TAF was canceled due to ice, but I would jump on it if it was available. I understand they sell out quickly. 

As for doing a 2nd excursion same day in Juneau, you would likely have time if you find a late day start, which there usually are. The Mt Roberts Tramway runs all day, so you would be able to go up there and enjoy the view and hiking trails. There are also evening whale watching excursions.

If you can grab a rental for the evening (we've gotten one for earlier in the day & don't know if they're available for later or not) you can venture out on your own - there is a lot to see. The rental pick up is very close to the pier.

Enjoy your cruise!

When was your cruise? We will be cruising next May and I'm trying to decide between Tracy Arm Fjord excursion or whale watching in Juneau. I've already booked whale watching with Jayleen's, but it sounds like in May we might not see the quantity of whales I would like. So it makes me want to book Tracy Arm, but I don't want to book it if it's likely to be canceled due to ice!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rock Chalk Jayhawk said:

When was your cruise? We will be cruising next May and I'm trying to decide between Tracy Arm Fjord excursion or whale watching in Juneau. I've already booked whale watching with Jayleen's, but it sounds like in May we might not see the quantity of whales I would like. So it makes me want to book Tracy Arm, but I don't want to book it if it's likely to be canceled due to ice!

It was May a couple years ago. But still May.

I think there's just more ice still present in May than later in the season.

We only go May and Sept, so I have no experience w/TAF during peak summer months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

It was May a couple years ago. But still May.

I think there's just more ice still present in May than later in the season.

We only go May and Sept, so I have no experience w/TAF during peak summer months.

Do you prefer May or September?  What are the the best things about a May cruise vs a September cruise?  Thinking about the 14 day HAL Alaska cruise which is only offered for the shoulder season.  

• Like 2