Shocking - Looked At Current Cruise Critic Reviews

NMTraveller

Guest ldtr
2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Perhaps we will have to agree to disagree.  Or perhaps we just do the math on our next cruise 🙂  Anyways to go from a 4.5 to a 4.1 in a short period of time requires a very large number of more negative reviews below 4.5 in a short time period.  That would require a large population change to account for that large difference and the results to be the same.

Based upon the number of negative sentiments on this board lately,  I would attribute it to that.  AI ML vs modern statistics.

Anyways I think that we are putting the rest of the board to sleep with our NERD talk.  ZZZ.

And you enjoy your next cruise.

If people based their cruise decisions just on what is posted on CC in the discussion streams and the reviews most would never cruise.

22 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

OK.  So I just looked at some current Cruise Critic Reviews for Celebrity.  They have dropped significantly.  What is going on?  I expected some drop, but more than expected...

Is there a way to compare and look at specific ships and see which ships have the best cruiser ratings across all lines?

I would like to compare an Oceania ship to a Celebrity ship to a Viking ship to an Azamara ship to a HAL ship to a Princess ship.  How do I do this and find the best ship and service?  I can do this for land vacations...

I have seen the reviews on THIS board,  but not the general reviews until now...  And shocked...

Go into it with an open mind and don't get too bogged down with what you read online. While it is good to be informed, form your own opinions about your experience. I had an amazing HAL cruise to Scotland last month and have not had the chance to do a review. Someone else on my cruise wrote an extensive review and while they enjoyed the cruise they were much more critical of the food. I'm glad I had my own experience and didn't stress about every little thing on my cruise. Believe me, things people say online won't matter that much once you are there.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

If people based their cruise decisions just on what is posted on CC in the discussion streams and the reviews most would never cruise.

Well the Cruise Critic rankings were rather high pre pandemic.  Why would you not cruise with some at 4.5 out of 5.  Yet they are low post pandemic.  My question is why are they so much lower?  

1 hour ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Go into it with an open mind and don't get too bogged down with what you read online. While it is good to be informed, form your own opinions about your experience. I had an amazing HAL cruise to Scotland last month and have not had the chance to do a review. Someone else on my cruise wrote an extensive review and while they enjoyed the cruise they were much more critical of the food. I'm glad I had my own experience and didn't stress about every little thing on my cruise. Believe me, things people say online won't matter that much once you are there.

You should post your review also.  While I understand that the disappointing reviews will win out there are a bunch more disappointing reviews than there used to be.  Thus lower rankings.

• Like 1

I had written a review for my November 2021 sailing for RCCL Adventure of the Seas and it wasn't accepted because I questioned the logic of allowing massive lines to congregate prior to dinner.  Buffet was not open for dinnee at that time.  I also just noticed 2 reviews deleted for MSC Seascape.  Reason I noticed was I was shocked at the content then when I tried to show the husband, they were gone.

I like to read reviews of new ships/cruiselines for me.  After my experience with CC and my review getting deleted, I have just done a review on the boards. 

I actually am getting more insight from TA, reddit, FB amongst other sites.  Less policing and more truthful postings.  I don't really pay attention to the % of positive reviews on CC about a ship as it's usually 5 or 1.  

• Like 4

Read as much as you can but even having done so it is IMHO virtually 

impossible to explain just how different the smaller ships you mention,

Oceania, Viking and Azamara are from Celebrity, HAL and Princess. We

have been on all of these and the experience is completely different. The 

larger and smaller ships all have their merits and disadvantages. I can’t 

even tell you which we prefer !  All I can say is that of those six cruise

lines you mention we like Viking (although Azamara is a strong 

alternative) of the small ones and HAL by a significant margin of the

larger ones (particularly Pinnacle and Vista class ships). Good luck 

with your decision making.

• Like 2

The reviews are always really bad for any ship. I learned to stop reading them last year, for any cruise line, because they're not an accurate reflection of what my own cruise experience will be. The vast majority of people use the reviews to complain, not to compliment. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I actually am getting more insight from TA, reddit, FB amongst other sites.  Less policing and more truthful postings.  I don't really pay attention to the % of positive reviews on CC about a ship as it's usually 5 or 1.

This makes sense to me. TA and FB for sure though not without flaws. Reddit less so because the user base skews much younger with different interests. CC is frustratingly moderated has always leaned more towards a "cruise fans" than "cruise critic" site.

Still, I get a lot of insight from CC. Certain users, I discount their comments to 0%. I probably should, but don't, block them. Some of them have agendas and others are just single-minded. That's fine, I know who they are. The only frustrating users are the dismissive ones. "I feel A so you couldn't have possibly experienced B."

Thankfully these are the minority. The vast majority here honest, helpful people who share the same goal--a better cruise experience.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

So true.  When celebrity came out with IV balconies the reviews were Nasty as many didn't like them.  We almost canceled our cruise because of it.  However we took the cruise and loved it.  So I have learned to take what others write with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1

Currently on the Apex.  I was apprehensive after reading so many negative reviews.  This might be my favorite celebrity cruise ever. We have been eating in the cosmopolitan each night.  We been getting great service from our waiter and sommelier.  The waiter always asks if we are enjoying our meals and has offered to bring something else if we wish.   Room attendant is attentive and room is spotless   He’s been making towel animals for us every night.   I have seen captain Nikolaos three times and he always asks if everything is good.  Bar service is prompt.  No complaints 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 6/3/2023 at 1:24 PM, mayleeman said:

Most people cruising now probably booked in 2022 or 2021. The Quality/Demand correlation is not apparent immediately.

Let's see what happens to bookings from, say, this October through 2024. I suspect there will be many sales to inveigle new customers to venture on board. But it is clear from this site that there are many X veterans dropping out. 

We’ve booked two celebrity cruises already in 2024 and researching an early 2025 one too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Well the Cruise Critic rankings were rather high pre pandemic.  Why would you not cruise with some at 4.5 out of 5.  Yet they are low post pandemic.  My question is why are they so much lower?  

After not having done something for a long time, whether cruising, dining at a fine restaurant, or staying at a resort, we rely on memories of "the good old days". Because we haven't done them in a long while we remember them in a glorified way, and when then when we do those things again they don't meet the expectations we artificially set, I'm not saying that there aren't some negative changes, but the perception is skewed by what we want to remember.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2023 at 4:31 AM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

, it was 100% better than the Apex TA in 2022 

I think we on the same Apex TA.  April 2022 from Florida to Amsterdam?  If so, yes, it was not great.  Our Butler was missing for the first 3 days ( were not told why).  The wait staff in luminae has no idea what was going on.  I think the ship set sail with limited supplies.....  Nothing like prior experience.

The last cruise I went on was on Silhouette.  No issues.  It was wonderful.  I think the Apex had new staff and they were all in learning mode.  If that were my first experience with X, I can only imagine how my review would be.

Guest ldtr
9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

What are the dates on the reviews?

I would prettymuch ignore reviews older then 6 months. Prior to that point all of the cruise lines were pretty much still working through restart issues such as staffing, supply chain, etc.

Also people now have to get back used to ships being at full occupancy after sailing on half full ships. Will take a while for expectations to normalize.

In the meantime if you fully want to believe the reviews I guess you can stay home.

On 6/3/2023 at 11:03 AM, OC PAT said:

We will be leaving for our Greek Cruise 8/14 with a group and hope the negatives are few and not quite what the preception may be.

Not quite sure of your use of the word "preception" (my shortcoming) vs perception. Whichever, of whose negative pre or per ception do you speak? More importantly, is it significant enough to alter your pre-cruise preparations and/or enthusiasm? One must be extremely assiduous when reading and reading into reviews. While helpful, I believe they are the cause of much unnecessary stress and second-guessing. Keep your focus neutral no matter what you have read and what your previous experiences have been. Understand, there are just too many variables that you or anyone else cannot account for. A good, understanding attitude makes for less surprises and more fun.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Well the Cruise Critic rankings were rather high pre pandemic.  

My question is why are they so much lower?  

I don’t think it’s any surprise:

1. Cruise line cutbacks due to cost cutting 

2. inexperienced crew members resulting in less refined service, or understaffing resulting in lower levels of service

3. more crowded ships 

4. increase in prices resulting in a lowering of perceived value

5. Increase in misbehaving customers for whatever reasons

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 6/2/2023 at 11:48 PM, NMTraveller said:

OK.  So I just looked at some current Cruise Critic Reviews for Celebrity.  They have dropped significantly.  What is going on?  I expected some drop, but more than expected...

Is there a way to compare and look at specific ships and see which ships have the best cruiser ratings across all lines?

I would like to compare an Oceania ship to a Celebrity ship to a Viking ship to an Azamara ship to a HAL ship to a Princess ship.  How do I do this and find the best ship and service?  I can do this for land vacations...

I have seen the reviews on THIS board,  but not the general reviews until now...  And shocked...

Just saw a similar comment about Princess.

When I scanned recent reviews of one ship, lots of complaining, but little consistency to the complaints--tells me it's not a ship/line issue.

Things are NOT what they were like pre-COVID. 

Labor supply issues & cost cutting attempts (after being shut down for 15 mos) affect things.

BUT I have sailed 15 times in the last year (18 since start up) on 5 different mainstream lines. 

None were perfect. (and MSC was 4 of those...tried for the 1st time in Feb. I'm over them)

But they were nearly all great (even MSC was OK...I got beaches or Europe for very little $)

Look, for all my cruising, I don't always post reviews.

Complainers are always the loudest voice in the room--and in reviews.

We are "glass half full" kind of people--we can have a good time anywhere.

(yep, even did on MSC even tho unlikely to sail them again)

Look for CONSISTENCY--are you seeing the same complaint about a ship/line OVER & OVER?

THAT is when I pay attention (I should have for MSC--they were right).

Read those reviews with a discerning eye...

Edited by KKB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shiba_Lover said:

I think we on the same Apex TA.  April 2022 from Florida to Amsterdam?  If so, yes, it was not great.  Our Butler was missing for the first 3 days ( were not told why).  The wait staff in luminae has no idea what was going on.  I think the ship set sail with limited supplies.....  Nothing like prior experience.

The last cruise I went on was on Silhouette.  No issues.  It was wonderful.  I think the Apex had new staff and they were all in learning mode.  If that were my first experience with X, I can only imagine how my review would be.

That was the one

mostly new staff, and it was their first cruise ,  a lot of cold food, and a lot people came down with Covid on the cruise 

On 6/3/2023 at 5:48 AM, NMTraveller said:

Were you shocked or quietly pleased? 😜

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Were you shocked or quietly pleased? 😜

Truly shocked.  I did not expect the reviews to have declined so much.  Anyways I would like to see TripAdvisor rank cruise ships like they do hotels.

I will be upgrading to specialty dining...  Food is the #1 complaint.  The reviews I was looking at were CURRENT.

I have lowered my expectations a bit...  I am not expecting the same as my last.

Edited by NMTraveller

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Truly shocked.  I did not expect the reviews to have declined so much.  Anyways I would like to see TripAdvisor rank cruise ships like they do hotels.

I will be upgrading to specialty dining...  Food is the #1 complaint.  The reviews I was looking at were CURRENT.

Simple cause and effect; try something a little different to see if that solves the issue for the time being instead of doing the same dining over and over hoping for better results.  Using OBC helps too.  Hopefully, you will be very pleased with your decision!

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

So I started reading some of the Celebrity reviews to try to get an idea of why they were lower than expected.

1.  Food

The food has certainly changed.  Cruiselines are trying to provide the best possible product at the lowest price possible.

Then you have crew.  On our April cruise on Apex was told 40% of the 384 food and beverage staff were on their first contract.  Pre covid it was in the 10-15% area.  Experience takes time.

Infinite verandas - either people loved them or hated them.  With my DW we split.  

My #1 is if someone has a positive experience they tend to say it to maybe friends, but mostly say they expected it to be great.  Have sometime go a bit sideways and they get grumpy and tell everyone.  Just human nature.

Last, you have demand for the most popular itineraries such that prices have claimed to insanity and full ships with many new cruisers and staff makes for a need to be flexible.

Our 3 cruises since August have taught us we will go elsewhere until things settle down and return closer to pre pandemic.

• Like 3

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

NMT wants so much support and validation, I am sure he was pleased.

You kind of get the feeling that the topic was started with the intent of drawing in comments about how bad things are.

Kind of brings back the phrase that nobody goes there anymore it too busy.

Edited by ldtr