Eclipse multiple sea days lunch ideas (Aqua class)

zitsky

The MDR will be open for lunch. We also really enjoyed the Spa Cafe. The Mast Grill is also open although I know reviews on their beef burgers aren’t good, we really like the turkey burger though. 

For a fee, you can also dine in Sushi on Five and I believe Tuscan Grill was open for a couple sea day lunches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We usually cruise in suites so have the option of Luminae on sea days but rarely go there. Quite simply we don’t always want the ‘formality’ of a sit down three course meal. Instead we go for the buffet…I do so think many people underestimate the buffet and the range of choices. 

We look for the daily specials like ‘pie day’ (I will miss breakfast to enjoy pie day) or they will sometimes declare a region like ‘Italian day’. Special days are listed in Today.

At least once per cruise we go for the Indian selection. Reliably good in our opinion.

When having full meals like these we tend to sit in the outside area at the back of the ship. Dining outside is always nice. We will usually on these days have a very light breakfast then have our lunch at 12ish before the cafe gets busy. No queuing, no waiting for drinks at this time and time enough to digest a larger meal before dinner. The cafe at this time has fresh food, good service and a pleasant ambiance. So different from between 1pm and 2pm where ‘hectic’ tends to describe the ambiance…

Alternatively we will often go to the buffet and get a made to order sandwich add a few chicken wings and a side salad and take it back to enjoy on the balcony or poolside.

Then of course there are burgers poolside too and as you said the spa cafe if you want a light meal.

We also like to visit sushi on five at lunch. Sometimes they have lunch offers but as it is pay per item you can just pick what you want. We tend to order things to share…

Finally, if you really fancy crashing on your balcony the charge for room service is worth paying. I do like their chicken noodle soup and their sandwiches with some of the best fries on the ship…

We never bother with the MDR as again a sit down more formal setting isn’t what we want on a sea day. However, it is another choice…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Go to the buffet pizza station 15-20mins before they open and order a calzone.  They also make you your own pizza but you can gets slices of pizza anytime so a calzone is nice change up.  Generally I only eat carbs for desserts and avoid them all other times but usually have one of these once per sailing

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

20 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

….usually have one of these once per sailing

Whilst Nuts About Golf was talking specifically about calzone pizza I think the end of his post is the best bit of advice…

Look at all the options and make variety the spice of your lunchtime experience…

• Like 1

We were on the Eclipse a week ago, and found lunch frustrating on sea days, not due to the quality of the food but rather the lack of places to sit outside.  When the weather was good, tables at the Mast Grill full by 11:30am, going later still had all tables full with many people not eating, just enjoying sitting outside.   Oceanview cafe - super crowded, though we were able twice to snag a table outside.  We didn't try the MDR for lunch, likely that would have been a good option. 

What we did enjoy was getting something from either the Spa Cafe or Mast Grill and taking it back to our cabin, eating on the balcony.   (we were on deck 11, so a short walk) We also had some OBC to use and could have ordered room service lunch to eat on our balcony.  I think that would work really well. 

We loved Sushi on Five for lunch. I am not a sushi eater but I loved the ramen and Kobe sliders. I hacked my Mast Grill order & just got a toasted bun, then added the bacon & cheese etc. at the toppings bar to have a pretty decent BLT 🙂 We didn't eat at the Spa Cafe, but the pre-made dishes looked very tasty! 

On 6/3/2023 at 12:43 PM, chemmo said:

We usually cruise in suites so have the option of Luminae on sea days but rarely go there. Quite simply we don’t always want the ‘formality’ of a sit down three course meal. Instead we go for the buffet…I do so think many people underestimate the buffet and the range of choices. 

We look for the daily specials like ‘pie day’ (I will miss breakfast to enjoy pie day) or they will sometimes declare a region like ‘Italian day’. Special days are listed in Today.

At least once per cruise we go for the Indian selection. Reliably good in our opinion.

When having full meals like these we tend to sit in the outside area at the back of the ship. Dining outside is always nice. We will usually on these days have a very light breakfast then have our lunch at 12ish before the cafe gets busy. No queuing, no waiting for drinks at this time and time enough to digest a larger meal before dinner. The cafe at this time has fresh food, good service and a pleasant ambiance. So different from between 1pm and 2pm where ‘hectic’ tends to describe the ambiance…

Alternatively we will often go to the buffet and get a made to order sandwich add a few chicken wings and a side salad and take it back to enjoy on the balcony or poolside.

Then of course there are burgers poolside too and as you said the spa cafe if you want a light meal.

We also like to visit sushi on five at lunch. Sometimes they have lunch offers but as it is pay per item you can just pick what you want. We tend to order things to share…

Finally, if you really fancy crashing on your balcony the charge for room service is worth paying. I do like their chicken noodle soup and their sandwiches with some of the best fries on the ship…

We never bother with the MDR as again a sit down more formal setting isn’t what we want on a sea day. However, it is another choice…

Thanks for the candid and honest detailing if the lunch offerings. We've enjoyed most of these options and are looking forward to revising some and trying something new as well

• 4 weeks later...

As mentioned above Tuscan Grille might be open on some sea days.  What about Murano?  Has anyone done that?

Also I'm trying to find hours for the restaurants offering lunch.  I think MDR is 12 noon to 1:30pm but I can't find hours for when any specialties might do it?  That tells me that hours are not advertised until you are on board?

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

As mentioned above Tuscan Grille might be open on some sea days.  What about Murano?  Has anyone done that?

Also I'm trying to find hours for the restaurants offering lunch.  I think MDR is 12 noon to 1:30pm but I can't find hours for when any specialties might do it?  That tells me that hours are not advertised until you are on board?

On one sea day, the Specialty Restaurants are open for lunch with a reduced menu and price.  We really enjoy Murano for lunch on that day.  It is a three course lunch.

Other places we eat lunch include the Spa Cafe,  getting food from the buffet and eating outside, and eating in the MDR.   

On 6/3/2023 at 6:14 AM, zitsky said:

Maybe the spa cafe?

Just don't eat their breakfast bagels with peanut butter and banana. Stale as anything and that's if they don't run out of bananas. The food there was much better in years gone by. 

12 minutes ago, keesar said:

On one sea day, the Specialty Restaurants are open for lunch with a reduced menu and price.  We really enjoy Murano for lunch on that day.  It is a three course lunch.

Other places we eat lunch include the Spa Cafe,  getting food from the buffet and eating outside, and eating in the MDR.   

I think we will try the MDR.  Maybe buffet as backup.  I like buffets at home but my partner doesn’t.

19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I think we will try the MDR.  Maybe buffet as backup.  I like buffets at home but my partner doesn’t.

Food in MDR is not bad and portions just enough so you can enjoy a mid afternoon snack in cafe el bacio. I'm not a fan  of buffets apart from picking up some cheese and crackers for a small late afternoon balcony snack. 

Olives at the Martini Bar 

There is also a menu at the Craft bar.   It is has a menu with some Gastro Food

The Mast grill for burgers, dogs and etc

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Just now, miched said:

Olives at the Martini Bar 

There is also a menu at the Craft bar.   It is has a menu with some Gastro Food

The Mast grill for burgers, dogs and etc

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Wouldn’t the olives be too filling?

• Haha 2

Just now, drakes2 said:

Actually their olives are very good. I always ask for some even with a glass of wine. 

Well maybe I’ll skip lunch and go to the martini bar.  😂

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Well maybe I’ll skip lunch and go to the martini bar.  😂

I forgot about the beer nuts bar mix that they also serve. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

The bad part about buffets is when you see the unsanitary actions of people.  I usually go to those staff that serve you like the carving station.  

You will enjoy the MDR.  Portion control as well!

11 hours ago, miched said:

I forgot about the beer nuts bar mix that they also serve. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Well you better get there by 5 pm aa they frequently run out of beer nuts. 

11 hours ago, keesar said:

The bad part about buffets is when you see the unsanitary actions of people.  I usually go to those staff that serve you like the carving station.  

You will enjoy the MDR.  Portion control as well!

Portions are great for me. You can always add another entree if still hungry.