Anyone else trying to downsize?

shipgeeks

I wish you success in all the areas you've mentioned above!

We are not trying to minimalize as far as your goal, but can definitely relate.

I find general books pretty easy to give to charity stores.....except when I think "I wonder if I'd like to read that once more in a year or two?"  Ship-related books, if I can part with them, go onto a ship I'm cruising on, to be deposited in the ship's library.

Our cruising memorabilia might be a bit like your LEGO.  I made one inquiry at a maritime museum in a city we'll be cruising to....they were unable to accept.  I get the selling hassle.  We used to have an ebay shop.  Did okay, but time consuming.  We still have neat things to sell, but no way to get them to the PO when sold, etc.  Would love to link up with a nephew or someone to let them do the listings and reap the profits.

Clothing donations are the easiest thing for me.

Photo albums, my grandfather's postcard collection, my grandmother's china and silver.....that continues to be the toughest. Would gladly donate to the right charity, but finding one that can actually profit from them is the question.

Good luck, and please continue to report on your progress.

Recently I've seen a couple of articles expressing a backlash against decluttering.

They make two valid points: (1) there's no obligation to be minimalist in everything, especially if it doesn't feel right, and (2) decluttering is not the solution to any other problem.

“The idea with purging is to send out of yourself or your life the things that are preventing you from living in a whole way, in a good way,” Hearlson told me. Noting modern-day language around “purging” or “detoxing” from clutter, she went on, “It’s the same idea: … there’s something toxic in my life and I need to send it away.”

This resonance with deep spiritual tradition must explain some part of why decluttering can be so satisfying: An orderly home feels like an orderly soul. But the concept of “purging” has some very dark undertones — bulimia, shame-based purity cultures, genocide — and those undertones echo today as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/home/2023/09/06/decluttering-will-not-solve-our-problems/

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

minimalist in everything, especially if it doesn't feel right, and (2) decluttering is not the solution to any other problem.

I disagree. Decluttering reduces household cleaning not just by the object’s cleaning but it having to be moved. Also without cleaning fabrics and paper harbors molds and minute pests. Secondly getting rid of items that require maintenance or energy to run reduces time and expenses.  Third donating items when they are still useful helps others and reduces landfills.  

• Like 2

On 8/17/2023 at 5:23 AM, shipgeeks said:

kochleffel, I get it!  We, too, plan to stay in the house, but are trying move along some of the "things" in it.

I'm beginning to see an element of the problem: younger adults who keep giving unneeded gifts.

Big framed pictures of every element of their wedding, and every stage of their child's life. Nice to see from time to time, but not needed on the walls where our chosen artwork hangs.

A dog or cat to a couple who just want a simpler life and four worry-free cruises a year.

A figurine of a very elderly couple, depressing to think that you think it looks just like us.

Big wind chimes to the couple who say they love the peace and quiet of the porch, and seeing the hummingbirds at the feeder.

Personalized cushions, wall hangings, and other decor items.  The thrift stores don't really want things with our name on them.

Smartphones to the couple who love their laptops and house phone, and don't care to get calls while out of the house, nor to have to pay the monthly fees.

Ironically, the gift givers never care to take any of the furniture, dishes, silverware, albums, or keepsakes offered by the older generation. "It's not our taste."  "We don't have any more room."

Their turn will come.

In the meantime, are any of you dealing more successfully with this?

I took large wall sized photos out of the frames, set the frames out by our dumpster, then could fit the photos in a large mailing envelope. The frames were taken quickly.

I drop bags/boxes of items off at goodwill type stores and drive away. What they do with the items is up to them. Nice women's clothes go to a thrift place that helps poor women get back into the workforce. Drop off, drive away, maybe dry a tear.

Edited by Etta1213
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I disagree. Decluttering reduces household cleaning not just by the object’s cleaning but it having to be moved. Also without cleaning fabrics and paper harbors molds and minute pests. Secondly getting rid of items that require maintenance or energy to run reduces time and expenses.  Third donating items when they are still useful helps others and reduces landfills.  

You are missing the point. All of those things are direct results of the clutter. But removing clutter will not fix relationships that were already troubled, will not make you a better, more righteous person (only more self-righteous), will not make you famous or a celebrity (Marie Kondo already has that job), will not stop your alcoholic relative from drinking....

It also won't cause strangers to send you money, unless you find a way to monetize it on social media (and that job is probably already taken, too). On the other hand, there is an excellent chance that, in the process of tidying up, you will find money that you already had. It won't make you thin, either, but a more orderly kitchen will make it easier to maintain good nutrition. And it won't reduce your anxiety about everything else, although having one less thing to worry about is a benefit. It's not an either-or question.

But you're right that the article is not coherent. It makes a good point about not acquiring junk in the first place, but criticizing anyone for donating or discarding it does nothing about the junk we already have. The valid point in the article is that it's a practical issue, not a moral crusade.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

You are missing the point. All of those things are direct results of the clutter. But removing clutter will not fix relationships that were already troubled, will not make you a better, more righteous person (only more self-righteous), will not make you famous or a celebrity (Marie Kondo already has that job), will not stop your alcoholic relative from drinking....

It also won't cause strangers to send you money, unless you find a way to monetize it on social media (and that job is probably already taken, too). On the other hand, there is an excellent chance that, in the process of tidying up, you will find money that you already had. It won't make you thin, either, but a more orderly kitchen will make it easier to maintain good nutrition. And it won't reduce your anxiety about everything else, although having one less thing to worry about is a benefit. It's not an either-or question.

But you're right that the article is not coherent. It makes a good point about not acquiring junk in the first place, but criticizing anyone for donating or discarding it does nothing about the junk we already have. The valid point in the article is that it's a practical issue, not a moral crusade.

I never considered it a morality issue and I think most people over 55 do not either.  They are simply trying to simplify and likely to truly downsize living quarters.  I don’t need to read books or articles on how to get rid of things😉

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Ironically, we have a 2800 sq foot home- but if I could I would look for a larger home.  We have four sons who are married and a total of 10 grandchildren- we love entertaining and it is great to have extra space.  I do not understand why people downsize?  If their family and friend circle get larger, isn't nice to have extra space?  However if you can no longer afford the maintain a large house- you need to do what works best for you.

Edited by Cruise a holic

6 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Ironically, we have a 2800 sq foot home- but if I could I would look for a larger home.  We have four sons who are married and a total of 10 grandchildren- we love entertaining and it is great to have extra space.  I do not understand why people downsize?  If their family and friend circle get larger, isn't nice to have extra space?  However if you can no longer afford the maintain a large house- you need to do what works best for you.

You can't understand why some folks downsize? Really? It is very easy to understand (in my opinion anyway). Not everyone has a large family and not everyone cares about lots of space...what is it you don't understand? I live on my own......I have no kids, no pets, no partner........

There are many like me out there.. I live in a 1350 sq foot condo......more space than I actually need but its all paid for so I will just stay where I am😃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

You can't understand why some folks downsize? Really? It is very easy to understand (in my opinion anyway). Not everyone has a large family and not everyone cares about lots of space...what is it you don't understand? I live on my own......I have no kids, no pets, no partner........

There are many like me out there.. I live in a 1350 sq foot condo......more space than I actually need but its all paid for so I will just stay where I am😃

Hello Lois,

Of course if you do not have a family or partner- you should "right size".  But many do have children- and step children- and entertain family.  We also have siblings-  and neices and nephews-and many close friends,  so we have a very large extended family.  We are all very close and visit each other often.  In your situation I am sure your condo works well for you.

I'm with Lois on this!  My parents sold their house and moved to a retirement community when they were in their 70s. Best move ever! They were safe and healthy. Less house for my mother to take care of. Van trips to doctors, church, shows, stores, so no need to own a car. Company for dinner without having to drive.  We could easily visit.  When out-of-state brother visited, he and family could stay in one of the guest rooms overnight.

My aunt eventually moved to the same community, and all were able to spend time together.

We downsized in 2005 from two story 3500 sq ft to one story 2400 sq ft.

We don't plan to move again, house is paid for, no point in not staying in it.

When we downsized we had a big garage sale, what didn't sell was donated. I don't know about anywhere else, but here there are many choices for donating furniture, household, clothing etc.

Last week I cleaned out the third floor, and took all our Christmas decorations, apart from the two wreaths we put on the outside of the house, to a local thrift store.  Inside, they were doing a thriving business with similar Christmas things.  Our cruise luggage now fits comfortably in our storage space, and perhaps some younger families will enjoy the decorations.  I don't miss them at all.

• Like 1

Further to my comments above, re my parents moving to a retirement community, they regularly said they were so glad they made the move while they were still healthy enough, and active enough, to enjoy the facilities, volunteer work, new friends, activities, etc.

That was a generation ago; now many of my peers are doing the same thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Further to my comments above, re my parents moving to a retirement community, they regularly said they were so glad they made the move while they were still healthy enough, and active enough, to enjoy the facilities, volunteer work, new friends, activities, etc.

That was a generation ago; now many of my peers are doing the same thing.

I am looking around now.  I just want somewhere I can lock the door, leave for extended periods and not worry about the hot water heater exploding.   I never was fond of homeownership.  My DH was an avid collector and that required a large home but he now has renewed his interest in travel and less cumbersome hobbies so a change of habitat is in the cards 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2023 at 6:57 PM, Etta1213 said:

I took large wall sized photos out of the frames, set the frames out by our dumpster, then could fit the photos in a large mailing envelope. The frames were taken quickly.

I drop bags/boxes of items off at goodwill type stores and drive away. What they do with the items is up to them. Nice women's clothes go to a thrift place that helps poor women get back into the workforce. Drop off, drive away, maybe dry a tear.

Etta, I love your idea of de-framing all the photos. I'm going to pack up my photos in separate envelopes by family or other category, and pass along all those frames.  Your timing was perfect, as I've been looking for photos to donate to the local historical society, and finding lots of frames in perfect condition.

Another perfect timing story:  We were recently given an Amazon gift card.  We don't use Amazon. Later that day, the newsletter from a charity we support arrived, and had a notice of "please check our Amazon wish list for items that we badly need".  We were able to send the gift card to them along with our usual annual gift, instead of debating which friend or relative to give it to.

• Like 3