No USA Passport for Alaska cruise departing Vancouver

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

If I were you, I would call the passport office in Orlando Monday morning and tell them your situation.  You need an emergency passport.  That is, if you are in Florida now.

https://www.thepassportoffice.com/orlando-passport-services.php

Note that this IS NOT a State Department website (all federal government agency websites are .gov).  The Florida passport office is in Miami.  See https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies/miami.html

• Make an appointment by calling 1-877-487-2778 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Mondays through Fridays, or on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Our appointment line is closed on federal holidays. We do not charge a fee to make appointments.
  • If you have not yet applied, you must be traveling internationally within 14 calendar days. If you have already applied, you must be traveling internationally within 5 calendar days. 
  • Be able to show printed proof of international travel (such as your flight itinerary, hotel reservation, cruise tickets, or international car insurance).
  • Pay the $60 expedite fee in addition to the regular application fees.
  • Note: your appointment must be within 14 calendar days of your international travel if you have not yet applied, or 5 calendar days if you have already applied. If you need a foreign visa, the date of your appointment must be within 28 calendar days of your international travel.

You must make an appointment to apply at a passport agency. 

To make an appointment, call 1-877-487-2778. Se habla español. Be sure to keep track of the appointment confirmation number and the check-in instructions you will receive by email from the National Passport Information Center. You will need this information on the day of your appointment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I missed boarding the ship in Vancouver once. Princess booked my air.  They flew me to Ketchikan with about 12 other people and we boarded there two days later. I don't know if they would do this for a missing passport though.  There's a fine ($700?) for violating the PVSA but they took care of it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

I missed boarding the ship in Vancouver once. Princess booked my air.  They flew me to Ketchikan with about 12 other people and we boarded there two days later. I don't know if they would do this for a missing passport though.  There's a fine ($700?) for violating the PVSA but they took care of it.

Crown princess last year when we got to Juneau there was a large line of people waiting on the dock when we got there bags in hand. Assuming they all got flown in at Princess’s expense plus whatever fines needed to be paid

Edited by fpsphil

8 hours ago, capriccio said:

Note that this IS NOT a State Department website (all federal government agency websites are .gov).  The Florida passport office is in Miami.  See https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies/miami.html

• Make an appointment by calling 1-877-487-2778 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Mondays through Fridays, or on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Our appointment line is closed on federal holidays. We do not charge a fee to make appointments.
  • If you have not yet applied, you must be traveling internationally within 14 calendar days. If you have already applied, you must be traveling internationally within 5 calendar days. 
  • Be able to show printed proof of international travel (such as your flight itinerary, hotel reservation, cruise tickets, or international car insurance).
  • Pay the $60 expedite fee in addition to the regular application fees.
  • Note: your appointment must be within 14 calendar days of your international travel if you have not yet applied, or 5 calendar days if you have already applied. If you need a foreign visa, the date of your appointment must be within 28 calendar days of your international travel.

You must make an appointment to apply at a passport agency. 

To make an appointment, call 1-877-487-2778. Se habla español. Be sure to keep track of the appointment confirmation number and the check-in instructions you will receive by email from the National Passport Information Center. You will need this information on the day of your appointment. 

Yes, thank you.  If OP can drive to MIA that would be best, since they have already mailed in all documentation and maybe the only option last minute.

Glad you caught that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Totally different issue with EZAir.  OP does not have a passport.

6 hours ago, fpsphil said:

Crown princess last year when we got to Juneau there was a large line of people waiting on the dock when we got there bags in hand. Assuming they all got flown in at Princess’s expense plus whatever fines needed to be paid

Yes, again probably due to EzAir guarantees to get them to the next port.  However, OP does not have a passport, so not the same scenario.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, thank you.  If OP can drive to MIA that would be best, since they have already mailed in all documentation and maybe the only option last minute.

Glad you caught that.

Only issue we're running into is Miami does not have appointments, from what I can see. Since I need it before this upcoming Friday. Only office that shows appointments available is Denver. May have to make a pitstop in Denver on my way to Vancouver.

Edited by Vinnyv20032003

7 minutes ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

Only issue we're running into is Miami does not have appointments, from what I can see. Since I need it before this upcoming Friday. Only office that shows appointments available is Denver. May have to make a pitstop in Denver on my way to Vancouver.

Wow, surprises me.  Sounds like your on top of it.  I would call the passport office number shown on the application process email and ask them if they can get you an appointment in Miami or expedite your passport?  

Is yours an online application or a mail in application?  Does it still show

in process?

1 hour ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

Someone wrote recently that their only option was Hawaii (and they lived in FL also).

8 hours ago, fpsphil said:

There have been years when people were not allowed to go to the next port, even with EZ Air due to PVSA). I wonder if exceptions were made last two years due to COVID protocols (as other exceptions were made for Canada and COVID).

I have seen where some years they have allowed it and other years they haven't. I don't know the understanding or what has changed. It would be interesting to know.

Long story short - I wouldn't count on getting on the next port easily.

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

Just keep trying.  One opened up for a friend of mine once when she was in a similar situation.  
BTW, without a passport, you just won’t be able to take this trip.  Sorry about that!  

5 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Just keep trying.  One opened up for a friend of mine once when she was in a similar situation.  
BTW, without a passport, you just won’t be able to take this trip.  Sorry about that!  

Or it is not difficult to get to Denver (enough direct flights).

Edited by Coral

Okay, here's the deal.  The examples mentioned above about people whose flights missed the ship and were flown to the next port, are examples where the cruise line has taken responsibility to get the passenger to the ship, and the cruise line will either have swallowed the PVSA fine as part of the guarantee to get you to the ship, or the cruise line appealed to CBP to waive the fine since it was an airline problem that caused the violation, and therefore outside the control of the cruise line.

In the OP's situation, since the cruise line clearly states that it is the passenger's responsibility to have the proper documentation, they will not allow the OP to board in Ketchikan, as this would be a willful violation of the PVSA on their part.  So, unfortunately, the OP either has the passport, or doesn't cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hoping that your US Rep or Senator can help get you your passport in time.

Without your passport you most likely would be denied boarding your international flight while at the ticket counter.

Fingers crossed that the passport arrives in time.

15 hours ago, theloo said:

I thought you could drive to Canada from US with just a birth certificate.

@Vinnyv20032003

Only children under 16 (in some circumstances 19):

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

A US adult needs a passport or other ID that proves citizenship (e.g. an enhanced driver's license but I think currently only some states on the Canadian border issue those).

Thread about the urgent passport process including details of my same day passport experience:

Another option would be to contact a passport expediter (e.g. CIBT) to see if they can do the process for you. Their fee is pretty hefty - about $600 to $700 for ones I checked - not worth it in my case given the cost of going to San Francisco for the day, but might make sense instead of flying to Denver in your case.

Edited by new_cruiser

49 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

Thread about the urgent passport process including details of my same day passport experience:

Another option would be to contact a passport expediter (e.g. CIBT) to see if they can do the process for you. Their fee is pretty hefty - about $600 to $700 for ones I checked - not worth it in my case given the cost of going to San Francisco for the day, but might make sense instead of flying to Denver in your case.

How can a private passport expediter hasten the process for the OP who has already submitted his paperwork and his current passport to the State Department and his application is 'in process'?

As others have noted, traditionally members of Congress offer passport assistance as a constituent service but there was a recent story in DC about at least one member of Congress saying that given the current processing back-up his office will try but they can't make any promises about being successful. 

If I was in @Vinnyv20032003's predicament, I would try to schedule an appointment with the Miami office first.  If that doesn't work, contact all his members of Congress:  Senators Rubio and Scott and his Representative.  All members have Constituent Services in Washington DC plus within their state.  OP's representative should have an office in his/her district.  Senator Rubio has an office in Orlando (https://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/) as does Senator Scott (https://www.rickscott.senate.gov/contact/office-locations).  Ask each of them for assistance determining where his renewal is in the system and, if possible/necessary, getting an appointment at the Miami agency.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, capriccio said:

How can a private passport expediter hasten the process for the OP who has already submitted his paperwork and his current passport to the State Department and his application is 'in process'?

As others have noted, traditionally members of Congress offer passport assistance as a constituent service but there was a recent story in DC about at least one member of Congress saying that given the current processing back-up his office will try but they can't make any promises about being successful. 

If I was in @Vinnyv20032003's predicament, I would try to schedule an appointment with the Miami office first.  If that doesn't work, contact all his members of Congress:  Senators Rubio and Scott and his Representative.  All members have Constituent Services in Washington DC plus within their state.  OP's representative should have an office in his/her district.  Senator Rubio has an office in Orlando (https://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/) as does Senator Scott (https://www.rickscott.senate.gov/contact/office-locations).  Ask each of them for assistance determining where his renewal is in the system and, if possible/necessary, getting an appointment at the Miami agency.

Great advice.  The issue with the temporary renewals online, is they couldn’t locate them in the system.  OP did not advice if it was online or in the mail application or if it was a new PP.

Because of the issue, they stopped the online process for a while.

But, at this time the OP would need the assistance of the regular passport office in MIA or of course the reps of FL.

I would call the Miami passport office first thing tomorrow morning for help.

We were lucky, did mail in renewals all expedited, priority mail and received them back in 4.5 weeks.  We used the Philadelphia branch for our mail in.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

One thought I had is missing embarkation in Vancouver, and catching up with the ship at the first USA port of call (Ketchikan).

Can't happen.  As noted, the PVSA won't allow you to board in one US port a debark in a different US port without a stop in a DISTANT foreign port.

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

They can invoke the same urgent process that the OP can use by going to the passport office in person. It won't be faster than going in person - it may be slower because of the overnight mailing times to and from the expediter. What it would save is flying to Denver and possibly an overnight hotel stay there. 

In any case, a call to an expediter to see what they can do hurts nothing and the OP can decide based on the answer whether it is a better option or not in their case.

Edited by new_cruiser

2 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

They can invoke the same urgent process that the OP can use by going to the passport office in person. It won't be faster than going in person - it may be slower because of the overnight mailing times to and from the expediter. What it would save is flying to Denver and possibly an overnight hotel stay there. 

In any case, a call to an expediter to see what they can do hurts nothing and the OP can decide based on the answer whether it is a better option or not in their case.

Anyone considering using a private passport expediting company should check out what they are allowed to do/not do according to the State Department:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/courier-and-expeditor-companies.html

23 hours ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

Not literally, but more of trying to plan ahead in case my passport does not arrive in the next 5 days. Please bare with me here. 

I sent away to get my USA passport renewed (quite awhile ago), since we are booked on a northbound one-way Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Whittier. I have yet to receive my passport back and embarkation day is quickly approaching. I am in a bind, and don't know what to do.

One thought I had is missing embarkation in Vancouver, and catching up with the ship at the first USA port of call (Ketchikan).

Vancouver's Canada Place cruise terminal states you go through US Customs boarding the ship since you are in US territory for the remainder of the cruise after departing Vancouver. You would think I would be able to board from the first USA port of call with a driver's license, original birth certificate?

Not looking for criticism here, just others' thoughts maybe based on their own experiences. I don't have travel insurance, I know I am at fault, I'm just trying to not lose out on a couple thousand dollars and enjoy some of the cruise. If you have ANY advice, please share. Thank you...

I'm not going to bare with you. We might get arrested.

• Haha 2