Who can help with access to a Helipad sailaway ?

Josie2

23 minutes ago, islabahia said:

For us, helipad sailaway is been there/done that x2.  It can be hot, crowded and windy.  We stopped going quite a few years ago.  Suite pax tend to receive invites and we would rather enjoy sailaway from our suite.

We received one for sailing in to Venice and it would have been great if it had been a sunny morning. Unfortunately it was foggy and overcast. We did have a sunny day for the the sail away which we did from the outside decks and that was fine. What I really prefer are bridge tours about every five years. The engine room tour was really interesting although it really was only the engine control room. 

We have no status but on our first Celebrity cruise last month they seemed to be letting anyone on the helipad on a sailaway, we went there but it's an awful location it's windy and nothing there. We moved to a higher deck where there was a bar and seats. Maybe it's a status thing that make people feel special but but for us we go for comfort over 'keeping up with the Joneses' as it's nothing special. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Obobru said:

We have no status but on our first Celebrity cruise last month they seemed to be letting anyone on the helipad on a sailaway, we went there but it's an awful location it's windy and nothing there. We moved to a higher deck where there was a bar and seats. Maybe it's a status thing that make people feel special but but for us we go for comfort over 'keeping up with the Joneses' as it's nothing special. 

So true ! 

Any other suggestions for a family gathering spot (18 people) for sail away (Equinox specifically)?

Any preferences to be up on deck vs in the forward Sky Observation lounge for sail away?  Thinking the aft bars might be crowded for our group.

34 minutes ago, mjschutte said:

Any other suggestions for a family gathering spot (18 people) for sail away (Equinox specifically)?

Any preferences to be up on deck vs in the forward Sky Observation lounge for sail away?  Thinking the aft bars might be crowded for our group.

Which port ? 
what time of the year ? 
Sunset bar may be busy, but the outside area of OVC would probably work , and they have a bar there 

We've been invited to sail away on the helipad several times. We are elite status but I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Last time, in February, we were in a concierge cabin...not sure if that's related either. But we have never inquired about it. We've just received an invitation.

19 hours ago, mahdnc said:

As the others have said, your best bet is to talk to the Captains Club host/team as soon as your cruise starts.  If you ask nicely, I think your chances are pretty good.  Your status may help but please don't go there starting the conversation with "I am an Elite Plus member and........"

LOL

6 hours ago, islabahia said:

For us, helipad sailaway is been there/done that x2.  It can be hot, crowded and windy.  We stopped going quite a few years ago.  Suite pax tend to receive invites and we would rather enjoy sailaway from our suite.

I second this.  You have to get there early to get a space for on the outer perimeter/railing or else it's hard to see and difficult to get good photos/videos.  If the sun is out, you have zero protection so if you get there early to get space on the railing you're most likely going to have the sun beat on you for a half hour

Been guessing a half dozen times, never seen anyone ask to see/check your keycard

They do have a tray of bubbly and some officers are out there

We were invited to 2 sailaways on our Summit cruise this past February; one on departure from Miami (because we were in Concierge class), and another when leaving Cozumel (because we were Captains Club members). We went to the one out of Miami. They didn't check invites but they did make my wife go back for closed toed shoes. I enjoyed it. It's an interesting view and we saw a dolphin jumping near the front of the ship. I don't know if I'd do it again if invited, but for someone that hasn't done it, I would definitely recommend the experience.

3 hours ago, mjschutte said:

A nice spot is just outside the gym. Walk through and pop outside for a nice unobstructed view.

• Like 3

Definitely speak with Captain's Club Host or Concierge.  They seem to be the ones to arrange which group(s) get to attend sailaway on helipad.  I've been invited twice and not sure why (LOL)!   I think it would be a nice thing to do as a family.  Good luck!

all invites we had were after port stops and never on embarkation day. You need to line up early to be by a railing to see anything. Basically you are standing on a metal floor in the wind, sun, rain.. no seats

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

all invites we had were after port stops and never on embarkation day. You need to line up early to be by a railing to see anything. Basically you are standing on a metal floor in the wind, sun, rain.. no seats

It can be a little breezy and chilly. This was leaving San Francisco. Note the jackets...

DSCN0567.thumb.JPG.34831796ed09846d3e4d9bb1e33f27ef.JPG

I've never been asked for my invitation when I went up to the heli-pad for sail away.  They don't ask and don't monitor from my experience.  If they ask, just say you left it in your stateroom.  They will give you a glass of champagne and move you right along.

5 hours ago, RTShaker said:

It can be a little breezy and chilly. This was leaving San Francisco. Note the jackets...

DSCN0567.thumb.JPG.34831796ed09846d3e4d9bb1e33f27ef.JPG

Dress is identical to a bay tour in the middle of the summer.