OLife moves to "all in"

WESTEAST

56 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Oceania’s world, Oceania’s way…

I am undertaking my first Oceania cruise this August. I am cruise only but got big $ OBC which I will use for shore excursions etc. We do not do alcohol nor purchase any items or services on any cruise.

Any attempt by O to force me to pay for items I do not want will result in O being Cancelled. 

So, we are now looking at different cruise lines already. 

Also, I am in Canada. The useless Cdn $ makes cruising much more expensive than for Americans. So I again will not be purchasing items I do not want and then have to pay in Cdn $.

We are sailing on the Nautica on Oct 27 2023. I will be curious to see how O blends Olife passengers with Simply More passengers. Will the Simply More group get free wine and excursions? Will we be forced to pay an up charge on our paid for cruise when the program starts July 1st?

I guess time will tell...

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Or dock at Saigon or Bangkok or Bordeaux...

O class ships can dock in Bordeaux too. And we don't go to Asia at this point. So except for Sevilia, are there other ports in Europe that only R ships can go?

10 hours ago, Rainbow3fe said:

You know a cabin attendant would have helped get you bag under the bed. 

Not unless they had unusual 4-dimensional space-time warp powers.

I was curious, so I measured both - not happening, even with the case opened. (In fairness the suitcase is oversized and the bed has a somewhat different frame). 

No lack of storage, even with the case in the closet - it was just unusual. 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rainbow3fe said:

Are you positive that "cruise only" will not be available?

In another thread Nashna has posted the outline of the new program. NO cruise only.  You can opt for no air and take their credit (a mere pittance).

I am wondering as how as I am a solo and have to pay 200% (most sailings) this will affect me as to pricing. 

I just purchased a future cruise certificate and am now debating my options..book in the next two weeks or possibly not book at all and get my deposit back. I have a feeling my O sailing days might be over after my next two I have booked.  

45 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

O class ships can dock in Bordeaux too. And we don't go to Asia at this point. So except for Sevilia, are there other ports in Europe that only R ships can go?

I'm far from an expert on O ships, so just basing my response on what I've observed between small ships (around 700-900 pax or less) and larger ones. Perhaps the 1200 pax ships also call at some of these -- I'm sure O regulars can correct me if wrong.

Some places in Europe I've visited on smaller ships that I've not seen larger ones call in to include:

-- Gythion (Greece)

-- Ponza Island (Italy)

-- Trapani (Sicily, Italy)

-- Positano (Italy)

-- Amalfi (Italy)

-- Monte Carlo (Monaco) -- maybe up to O size, not sure

-- Cannakkale (Turkey) -- for Troy and Gallipoli

-- Dikili (Turkey) -- for Pergamon

-- Rovinj (Croatia)

-- Opatija (Croatia)

There are probably more.

Some places are more advantageous for small ships. I agree with the poster above about being in Marseille old harbor on the old 350-pax Aegean Odyssey.  In Dubrovnik, smaller ships are allowed to tender passengers directly to the foot of one of the city gates rather than at the farther harbor. And I've been on two small ships that called at Delos directly rather than having to take an excursion on the ferry from Mykonos.

And with the new situation in Venice, smaller ships are at least able to dock closer than larger ones, which are going to ports that are 2+ hours away (Trieste, Ravenna).

• Like 3

On 6/15/2023 at 5:21 AM, TonicTraveler said:

I was on the webinar.  What I heard was that "cruise only" was still going to be an option.  Did I mishear?  

6 hours ago, SellaVee said:

I went back and read this on the first post for this topic.  Let me paraphrase.

You will have no choice, you're just gonna pay for it all.

Uhh...  Let me *parse*.

The OP defines "Simply More".  It does *not* say it's the only option, and the very term "Simply More" implies it's more than something else they offer.

The FUD here may be true, but has the flavor of a rumor run amok.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rainbow3fe said:

You know a cabin attendant would have helped get you bag under the bed. It's sad you had to waste closet space. 

You can ask your cabin attendant to store your bags somewhere other than your cabin. The ship has places for this. Just ask.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Uhh...  Let me *parse*.

The OP defines "Simply More".  It does *not* say it's the only option, and the very term "Simply More" implies it's more than something else they offer.

The FUD here may be true, but has the flavor of a rumor run amok.

I was quoting Frank Del Rio Jr!  Since he's the guy in charge, I doubt that this is a rumour.  Also, according to Jancruz, who is a reliable source, there will be no cruise only.

PS  What's a FUD?

Just now, SellaVee said:

I was quoting Frank Del Rio Jr!  Since he's the guy in charge, I doubt that this is a rumour.  Also, according to Jancruz, who is a reliable source, there will be no cruise only.

PS  What's a FUD?

Just now, SellaVee said:

PS  What's a FUD?

Trust JAN she is in the know...there is NO CRUISE ON:Y

1 minute ago, SellaVee said:

PS  What's a FUD?

Our TA has also confirmed that there is NO cruise only option as it currently exists.

They are actively in discussions with Oceania to not eliminate the current cruise only option.

IMO, they will add a cruise only option, at a higher price than current. This will make the 'Simply More' option 'appear' attractive.

3 hours ago, kathy9 said:

We are sailing on the Nautica on Oct 27 2023. I will be curious to see how O blends Olife passengers with Simply More passengers. Will the Simply More group get free wine and excursions? Will we be forced to pay an up charge on our paid for cruise when the program starts July 1st?

I guess time will tell...

Al booked cruises will have the choice of keeping their booking as is or changing to Simply More and paying any difference...so you will not be forced to do anything.  It will be your choice.

• Like 2

As yet, no one here has posted a decent summary of the big picture of “Simply More” as it is currently understood.

Although unverifiable, what follows here is the best summary I could find, apparently written by a TA who attended a recent O webinar.

FWIW:

NOTICE: Oceania changes coming July 1, 2023

Hello members, I created the following notes from an Oceania webinar yesterday.

On July 1, 2023, a new program begins, and an old friend is retired. Olife is being replaced by a program called simplyMORE. Beginning July 1, 2023, all bookings sailing after Oct 1, 2023, will include simplyMORE. The program is designed to be more inclusive and much simpler to understand. Some of the highlights are noted below.

• All bookings include FREE champagne, wine, and more with over 30 alcoholic and non-alcoholic choices for lunch and dinner. Comparable to what you think of now as House Select Beverage Package. You will be able to upgrade the simplyMORE drink package for $30 per person per day and you will be able to upgrade prior to embarkation.

• All simplyMORE bookings include a shore excursion credit. There will be a group of excursions to choose from using your credit. Unlike Olife, with simplyMORE you can choose to apply your credit to any excursion. You will be responsible for the difference in cost that exceeds the credit. simplyMORE shore excursion credits are: 7-9 days $600 per stateroom, 10-13 days $800, 14-18 days $1,000, 19-24 days $1,200, 25-30 days $1,400, 31-35 days $1,600.

• FREE Unlimited Wi-Fi for both people booked in a stateroom! Vista is already outfitted with Starlink. Other ships will be upgrading soon.

• When you choose air with simplyMORE, transfers will now be included.

• When you choose cruise-only fare under the simplyMORE program you are excluding air only, all of the other amenity changes outlined will be included.

Current bookings will have the choice to stay as is or change to simplyMORE. If you change to simplyMORE, you will be subject to repricing the booking. You do not get to add simplyMORE to an existing booking at your current pricing. Please don’t try to change an existing booking now, this program is not implemented yet. Your TA and Oceania will not be able to provide you with a comparison quote yet.

As for me, I really appreciate FREE Unlimited Wi-Fi for 2 and being able to pick from all shore excursions using my excursion credit.

More details to come. Please hold your questions until there is more information with the understanding that this is preliminary. 
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, grifdoglover said:

New bookings after October first will all be simply more but you may reject the air…which is a cruise only simply more way.

I believe it is  new bookings after July 1st  for sailings after Oct 1st  will be  the new program

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

so for years people wanted  more  inclusive  options  & now O have given people what they asked for   there is a big uproar

Folks be careful what you wish for

Yes, but people always had an option to take a more inclusive option (beverage package, oLife/excursions), but many people prefer not to use that option. But now this more inclusive option is not an option anymore, it's manadatory.

If O wanted to make things simpler, they could combine the oLife into one option (simply more) but still leave the cruise only option.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

so for years people wanted  more  inclusive  options  & now O have given people what they asked for   there is a big uproar

Folks be careful what you wish for

Especially true with many of the recent refugees from other lines who wonder why O doesn’t provide the same inclusiveness that has in the suites of their previous lines, and are confused by the complexity of the booking options.

O is imply responding to what it sees as a shift in the market, whether we like it or not. As a company it needs to move with the market, if they want to stay in business.

And as often said, those of us on cruise critic are a miniscule percentage of those who sail O.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Yes, but people always had an option to take a more inclusive option (beverage package, oLife/excursions), but many people prefer not to use that option. But now this more inclusive option is not an option anymore, it's manadatory.

If O wanted to make things simpler, they could combine the oLife into one option (simply more) but still leave the cruise only option.

Yes they could  have done a lot of things different  but they did not ask me  for suggestions  🙂

I do not like the take it or leave  options either

People will make their own choices  what works for them

When the dust settles   will see if O makes any changes or  gets a lot of new  cheerleaders  😉

• Like 5

5 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

I am undertaking my first Oceania cruise this August. I am cruise only but got big $ OBC which I will use for shore excursions etc. We do not do alcohol nor purchase any items or services on any cruise.

Any attempt by O to force me to pay for items I do not want will result in O being Cancelled. 

So, we are now looking at different cruise lines already. 

Also, I am in Canada. The useless Cdn $ makes cruising much more expensive than for Americans. So I again will not be purchasing items I do not want and then have to pay in Cdn $.

Dont worry. Not necessary to cancel.  You will be able to keep what you booked. They are just trying to change  and maybe get different cruisers in the future.