Food

lenquixote66

Is there a food that you loved as a child but now would ever eat and a food you hated as a child but now love ?

I loved lamb chops,pickled tongue ,herring and lox when I was young but would never eat them now.I hated salmon but now love salmon croquettes.

Until my mid 20s, I would avoid raw tomato. Then I got a free packet of seeds with a magazine and decided to grow them. Picked straight from the vine, I thought they were fine. Since then, I don't avoid them but still am not that keen. So, if they are in a salad, I'll eat them but I generally wouldnt add them if I was making the salad.

My favorite sandwich in the summer time is a sandwich my dear mom made.

Slightly toasted Whole Wheat Bread,  Slices of Beefsteak Tomatoes, Mayo, S&P, leaf of Butternut Lettuce....WOW......

On 6/8/2023 at 9:24 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

My favorite sandwich in the summer time is a sandwich my dear mom made.

Slightly toasted Whole Wheat Bread,  Slices of Beefsteak Tomatoes, Mayo, S&P, leaf of Butternut Lettuce....WOW......

Big beefsteak tomatoes in season fresh from the garden with mayo s+p served as a

side dish…delish!

Just now, BklynBoy8 said:

Great with a deluxe salad. Cold Iceberg Lettuce, Crisp Bacon, Dressing, Tomato etc.....

Oh, I love that salad too🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never had Blue Cheese Dressing

Me neither. And I quite like some blue cheeses. Presumably you have to be careful when you're making it, so the flavour doesnt overpower the salad.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Correct

So, do I understand from that post and your earlier one that, although you've never had the dressing, you're very familiar with how its made?  I don't think  I could make any dressing without tasting it.

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Oh, I love that salad too🙂

Funny you said that.  Guess what I made about an hour ago?  Yup…homemade blue cheese dressing.  I just got a new block of blue cheese yesterday and it was crumbly.  So out came the leftover sour cream, mayo, Worcestershire, Louisiana hot sauce, salt and pepper with a touch of white vinegar…just perfect.  Of course it will have to sit in the fridge overnight before it gets really good.  

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Funny you said that.  Guess what I made about an hour ago?  Yup…homemade blue cheese dressing.  I just got a new block of blue cheese yesterday and it was crumbly.  So out came the leftover sour cream, mayo, Worcestershire, Louisiana hot sauce, salt and pepper with a touch of white vinegar…just perfect.  Of course it will have to sit in the fridge overnight before it gets really good.  

It all sounds good except the hot sauce. I don't do spicey food much and so I would omit that from the recipe. But all the other stuff, yummy😃

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

It all sounds good except the hot sauce. I don't do spicey food much and so I would omit that from the recipe. But all the other stuff, yummy😃

Just a dribble of hot sauce and Louisiana Hot Sauce is much milder than say Siracha.  It has more of a tangy flavor…much better than Tobasco. Sometimes it is a bit too spicy so I have to water it down with white vinegar to get the right taste.  

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Just a dribble of hot sauce and Louisiana Hot Sauce is much milder than say Siracha.  It has more of a tangy flavor…much better than Tobasco. Sometimes it is a bit too spicy so I have to water it down with white vinegar to get the right taste.  

Good morning, I don't even keep tobacco in the house.

Asparagus- my mom always had the thick stringy asparagus, i didnt like it. Then about 15 years ago i went to a birthday dinner and they served white grilled asparagus- it was delicious! I started there and graduated to the thin green asparagus and i love it, still dont care for the thick green asparagus. 

17 hours ago, Harters said:

So, do I understand from that post and your earlier one that, although you've never had the dressing, you're very familiar with how its made?  I don't think  I could make any dressing without tasting it.

Oops,I posted in error

4 hours ago, Prometheus1 said:

Asparagus- my mom always had the thick stringy asparagus, i didnt like it. Then about 15 years ago i went to a birthday dinner and they served white grilled asparagus- it was delicious! I started there and graduated to the thin green asparagus and i love it, still dont care for the thick green asparagus. 

I love Grilled or Roasted Asp. with a light coat of EVOO & Sea Salt

• Like 1

I love asparagus (preferably the thick green stalks) but only have it when it's in season here. We're coming to the end of the season now - only another week or so. Usually steamed or boiled in the house - dressed simply with melted butter, or hollandaise, as a starter. I do like it cold, wrapped in Serrano ham or anything similar.

Edited by Harters

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, I don't even keep tobacco in the house.

And neither do I…LOL.  Looks like auto spell got you.🤭  Seriously, I haven’t used Tobasco Sauce in thirty years…ever since I discovered Louisiana Hot Sauce.  

3 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I love Grilled or Roasted Asp. with a light coat of EVOO & Sea Salt

I also love grilled asparagus as above.  When I want to do it fast I cut the bundle of stalks, spread them out in a bowl, give them a quick rinse and then zap them in the microwave for five minutes.  Then they get sautéed, in butter, pepper with garlic salt and EVOO with a few shakes of grated Romano, cooked until tender.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE