Sisters Sailing Scenic Scandinavia June 12-22 Live report

Azulann

9 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

@loriva thought you might be interested.

( @Azulann our cruise had to skip Gdańsk and this amazing excursion because of weather / too much wind to make pulling up to the port safe.  Thanks for your posts and photos!) 

So sorry the weather did not cooperate . It was a great port day and so much to see and learn about Gdańsk I cannot believe we have had perfect weather even on our one rainy morning. You will have to book another cruise that includes Gdańsk 😊

• Like 1

Day 8 Aarhus ,Denmark

Overcast skies  and cooler temp. the sun set at 10:11 tonight! 

We are in an industrial port , only a few on this itinerary.

Excursion is  "The Birth of Denmark", 4 1/2 hrs.

My sister will report  on this, because I  did not go

. The German food I had last night did not agree with me.

So taking a relaxing day on board to get back to full strength.  Had room service for lunch, the chicken soup, French fries was was what I needed , it tasted so good.

Tonight is seafood , lobster night  in World cafe and restaurant. I should feel better by then to have a nibble of lobster.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SempreMare said:

@loriva thought you might be interested.

( @Azulann our cruise had to skip Gdańsk and this amazing excursion because of weather / too much wind to make pulling up to the port safe.  Thanks for your posts and photos!) 

Thanks, @SempreMare, for pointing out @Azulann's wonderful live report.  Brings back memories.  Also, sadness that we missed Gdansk--same shorex booked.  We had the same experience with our CC.com M&G--no response to my email--but never had any contact with the GM.  Loved Assistant CD Francesca--great voice.

We did not have Aarhus on our cruise itinerary, but my sister and I visited it on our Danish Heritage tour after the cruise (after we sent the husbands home).  Driving around Denmark visiting areas where our family lived with the genealogist/guide was a magical experience.  Har det godt for the rest of your travels, @Azulann!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, loriva said:

Thanks, @SempreMare, for pointing out @Azulann's wonderful live report.  Brings back memories.  Also, sadness that we missed Gdansk--same shorex booked.  We had the same experience with our CC.com M&G--no response to my email--but never had any contact with the GM.  Loved Assistant CD Francesca--great voice.

We did not have Aarhus on our cruise itinerary, but my sister and I visited it on our Danish Heritage tour after the cruise (after we sent the husbands home).  Driving around Denmark visiting areas where our family lived with the genealogist/guide was a magical experience.  Har det godt for the rest of your travels, @Azulann!

How wonderful for you and your sister to do a Danish Heritage tour with a genealogist/guide after your cruise.  I would love to something similar land trip another time.

I am feeling a lot better this afternoon and will be ready for our 4 days in Copenhagen, two nights on the ship and two night at hotel on Viking extension. We got letter this morning  that  they are offering a 4 hr walking tour on  disembarkation day when we arrive at our hotel.  

• Like 3

We took this marvelous day trip when in Copenhagen 

https://www.viator.com/tours/Copenhagen/Grand-Day-Trip-around-Copenhagen/d463-26521P1

Roskilde Cathedral is the burial spot for numerous kings and queens of Demark. It's very impressive.

The Viking Ship Museum was incredible. They were hand building a long ship with axes.

You also visit Kronborg Castle and Frederiksborg Castle, both worth the trip.

IMG_7207.thumb.jpeg.a1cff41c729c0504336ab75bda6323b3.jpegIMG_7248.thumb.jpeg.5285447fbaa11119718348f00e8d8833.jpegIMG_7375.thumb.jpeg.2bef1d4662efd1de35a23879ed3c99a6.jpeg

Eisenhower’s shield as a Knight of the Order of the Elephant, Demark’s highest honor. Chapel of Frederiksborg Castle.IMG_7306.thumb.jpeg.3b31a0d72e249ee6cc4d93e9916db6cd.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Azulann said:

Day 8 Aarhus ,Denmark

Overcast skies  and cooler temp. the sun set at 10:11 tonight! 

We are in an industrial port , only a few on this itinerary.

Excursion is  "The Birth of Denmark", 4 1/2 hrs.

My sister will report  on this, because I  did not go

. The German food I had last night did not agree with me.

So taking a relaxing day on board to get back to full strength.  Had room service for lunch, the chicken soup, French fries was was what I needed , it tasted so good.

Tonight is seafood , lobster night  in World cafe and restaurant. I should feel better by then to have a nibble of lobster.

We took an hour ride to Jelling from the port. Our guide Paul and driver Christina were fabulous. We were given the Viking history of Gorm the Old and his son Harald Bluetooth. We saw the small Jelling stone, the oldest around 950AD, that read "King Gorm  made these runes in honor of his wife Tyra, pride of Denmark". This is the first mention of "Denmark". The larger most beautiful rune stone reads "King Harald ordered these remembrances made for Gorm, his father, and Tyra, his mother who won for himself all of Denmark and Norway and christened the Danes". Herald brought Christianity to Denmark. We also walked up the on Gorm's burial mound, the largest known Viking Age mound. Viking legend/mystery, in 1820 the citizens of Jelling dug into the mound in search of water and found an empty burial tomb. In 1861and1942 archaeological digs provided no answers. Where was Gorm? A grave, dating back to the Viking Age, was found under the Jelling church during significant excavations. Maybe the bones were those of Gorm which had been moved from the tomb in Northern Mound to the chambered tomb underneath the long-house which was replaced by the church. So Gorm ended up under the floor of the church! The interactive UNESCO Nationalmuseet allowed you to view the surrounding countryside from the rooftop and gave you a view as it would have looked back in time! The museum gift shop was very nice and the clerk was marking on her map all the different states her customers had come from! I truly enjoyed visiting perhaps some of my oldest relative!

• Like 2

DAY 9 Copenhagen Day 9

In today"daily;

3:30-7:00 am. scenic Sailing of the Oresund Straits(unheated)

Enjoy the sweeping views as we Salil the Oresund straits with the possibility of view of Kronborg Castle a.k.a. "HamletCastle"at approx. 3;50 am. 

Thanks Viking for heads up 😀

Room service breakfast will arrive at 6am. 

Need to be in Star Theater for our excursion  "Charming Coastal Copenhagen".

We book this excursion to see something outside the city.

We will have a 2 hr walking tour of Copenhagen tomorrow after we get our our hotel..

Edited by Azulann

16 hours ago, loriva said:

We did not have Aarhus on our cruise itinerary, but my sister and I visited it on our Danish Heritage tour after the cruise (after we sent the husbands home).  Driving around Denmark visiting areas where our family lived with the genealogist/guide was a magical experience.  Har det godt for the rest of your travels, @Azulann

10 pm all suitcases out in hall . Breakfast at 7;30 am then transfer to our hotel at 9;30. 

here are some pictures of our excursion to Dragor a charming village beyond the airport . It has thatched roof house painted yellow founded by Dutch farmers to grow food for Copenhagen by King Christian 4th. 
this was also the marina that the Danish boats  left for Sweden with families of Danish Jews 

IMG_0765.jpeg

• Like 1

IMG_0768.thumb.jpeg.f4c64d0057a95006b9b170243bdcca69.jpeg10 pm all suitcases out in hall . Breakfast at 7;30 am then transfer to our hotel at 9;30. 

here are some pictures of our excursion to Dragor a charming village beyond the airport . It has thatched roof house painted yellow founded by Dutch farmers to grow food for Copenhagen by King Christian 4th. 
this was also the marina that the Danish boats  left for Sweden with families of Danish Jews 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

IMG_0768.thumb.jpeg.f4c64d0057a95006b9b170243bdcca69.jpeg10 pm all suitcases out in hall . Breakfast at 7;30 am then transfer to our hotel at 9;30. 

Already?   It’s over too soon!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Azulann said:

here are some pictures of our excursion to Dragor a charming village beyond the airport . It has thatched roof house painted yellow founded by Dutch farmers to grow food for Cop

We did  this excursion too and loved it.  Do take the Canal boat ride in the city.  It was one of our best memories of Copenhagen.  We did it on our own, not with Viking.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2023 at 10:02 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Ice trays -in Mike’s rollaboard 

Picture frame -in Mike’s rollaboard

Ice trays? For injuries or cocktails?
And a picture frame? Does it frame someone special? Is it to put new photos of your adventures in? 

Inquiring minds want to know…

49 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

We did  this excursion too and loved it.  Do take the Canal boat ride in the city.  It was one of our best memories of Copenhagen.  We did it on our own, not with Viking.  

We want to do a canal boat ride on Friday . It looks like a great way to view Copenhagen! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:
Ice trays? For injuries or cocktails?
And a picture frame? Does it frame someone special? Is it to put new photos of your adventures in? 

Inquiring minds want to know…

The ice trays should be in quotation marks. They are cellophane bags that we found while living nomadically in Europe. When we are staying at an airbnb (like we did in Versailles) we take a couple since as Americans we like ice in everything. Some airbnbs have no trays so this lets us make some without taking up any room. 

The picture frame is a dollar store (when things cost a dollar) purchase. It’s basically a thin magnet in the shape of a picture frame.  We usually take it to identify our door.  We also use it to put on friends doors when they are having a birthday….speaking of which, I think @holdendad never returned it after we put an embarrassing photo of him on his door for his birthday🤔

• Like 2

What we have look like these but we bought a bag of 10 or 12 for a euro at a supermarket in Italy. 
Disposable Ice Cube Bag 42 Pack (1176 Ice Cubes, 42 Bags) https://a.co/d/i20U2WV

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

I think I need to know more about these. 

1 hour ago, WanderingBrit said:

Search for "Disposable Ice Cube Bag" on Amazon

• Like 4