Sisters Sailing Scenic Scandinavia June 12-22 Live report

Azulann

Day 5 Gdańsk Poland 

sitting in Star theater waiting to be called for our excursion Two churches , organ covert in one of them and walk around old town . 

Tonight there will be a barbecue of ribs, pork chop and chicken  dinner at the pool grill !

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

I will be very sad if sticky buns of  any kind are not accessible.  I do, however, love a nice Kringle so I might have to cry into my tea with that

On the Sea last February, a pan of sticky buns was served in the World Cafe for breakfast on several mornings.  It was available in the pizza area on the SB side.  Not same individual pistachio buns that Clay likes but sticky buns nonetheless.

Edited by TayanaLorna
Not done
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

On the Sea last February, a pan of sticky buns was served in the World Cafe for breakfast on several mornings.  It was available in the pizza area on the SB side.  Not same individual pistachio buns that Clay likes but sticky buns nonetheless.

Yes, I had one for breakfast this morning on the Jupiter. Down by the pizza station. It was very good 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Day 5  Gdansk Poland

Recap :

Our excursion was : Gdansk and Organ concert.

We were 18 on a the bus. Our guide Ola  has a PHD and is 40 yrs old , Polish  who is married to a German.

The organ concert was magnificent. It was in one of two Gothic  churches  we visited  in the old city.  They have this organ concert every day  during the summer. Then we walked through old town to another Church St. Mary's. We had one hr of free time. I bought my granbdaughesr  amber jewelry . My sister and I had  periogies  snack and I had a local beer in a sidewalk cafe.

Ola was rich inn information about  the Hanseatic league and the  grain warehouses  we saw.

MOst importantly she  explained the history of Gdansk under German, Soviet rules  and finally independence  and now part of the EU.

It was a mindful overload of  facts, her personal history of three generations under the various governments.  

My first takeaway was , as an American, I have no experience of what it means to be living in an  occupied country, the center of wars   for centuries,

Ola stories of the German occupation, then being part of the Soviet Union after the 2nd World war, and then freedom as an independent state being three generations behind the  rest of the EU were sobering.

But good things are happening but always there is the lingering  threat for Poland being between Russia and Germany. 

Pool deck barbecue was very tasty, The Band  then played and  had people dancing,  high energy evening. Fun night on the Jupiter.

I am having a difficult  down load why pictures  and posting them. CC seems to get stuck and I will do it when I have better wifi than the ship. 

But it might not be till Copenhagen and at our hotel there. 

I am loving this cruise b beyond my  heritage  for its ports  full of surprise and variety of historical and current places in the global  economy , politics and culture. 

Another  5 days to go.,,,

• Like 12

Day 6 Karskronsa , Sweden

We had early breakfast on our balcony , one of the best things to do on a cruise. Karlskrona is a tender port. Watched them lower the tender boat onto the water. 
tonight  is cC meet and greet on Wintergarden st 6:00 and dinner at chef table  at 7:30 

great day on the Baltic 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

I have no idea  what/ or who posted the sentences in bold in my post above. Those sentences were not written by me, just the words about eating on  our balcony this morning... 

So I  asked the moderator to delete that one post. 

Strange 🤔

It was beyond strange, it was down right freaky.  I hope it gets reported to the techs, to make sure that there hasn't been some sort of hack.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Azulann said:

OMG Clay! I have no idea whator who wrote those bold sentences were? I did not write them.  I think my trip report has a life of its own Or the algorithms  in my iPhone has taken over my typing. It might be hidden AI feature😂

Only had a hard boiled egg and blueberry muffin and coffee for my balcony breakfast.😀

I was wondering if the phone was somehow listening to your breakfast conversation and "reading" bits and pieces of it into the forum....sort of like when I attempt to get my car to actually capture an intelligible text message by saying it out loud, only by accident instead of on purpose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, aungrl said:

I was wondering if the phone was somehow listening to your breakfast conversation and "reading" bits and pieces of it into the forum....sort of like when I attempt to get my car to actually capture an intelligible text message by saying it out loud, only by accident instead of on purpose.

I think you might on to something Rereading it , I do see fragments of conversation that makes sense ,about topics we have discussed but still creepy . I will cal Apple when ai get home to ask about it 

3 hours ago, Azulann said:
3 hours ago, Azulann said:

I think you might on to something Rereading it , I do see fragments of conversation that makes sense ,about topics we have discussed but still creepy . I will cal Apple when ai get home to ask about it 

If you start writing in the “compose” box on cruise critic and you accidentally hit the microphone icon on your keyboard, an iPhone will automatically start picking up bits of conversation to compose for you. It seldom makes sense. Just be careful to stay away from the microphone button. I’ve had this happen to me while texting.  Hope this explains the crazy texting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Is that fish on the bottom plate? What types of fish are you seeing at Mansens at breakfast, have you seen any smoked fish? 

Swedish pickled herring, I think. I love it; it is “an acquired taste”.

34 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

Swedish pickled herring, I think. I love it; it is “an acquired taste”.

It is pickled herring in the bottom picture. They also have herring in wine sauce and in mustard sauce .  
the open face sandwiches  are shrimp and the rare roast beef on great bread . 
Tonight I had the destination dinner in Restaurant . It was Fznish soup with dumplings.  Pork entree with gravy and applesauce , dessert was Aebelkage, apple cake with whipped cream ! I was in heaven !

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

It is pickled herring in the bottom picture. They also have herring in wine sauce and in mustard sauce .  
the open face sandwiches  are shrimp and the rare roast beef on great bread . 
Tonight I had the destination dinner in Restaurant . It was Fznish soup with dumplings.  Pork entree with gravy and applesauce , dessert was Aebelkage, apple cake with whipped cream ! I was in heaven !

One of my favorite Mamsens breakfasts is a bowl of mixed berries, a sampling of the 3 herrings and a thick cut slab of the black bread with butter.   Love your reporting.

• Like 2

Hey Patti,  I'm loving your reports.  So glad you are having a wonderful time.  Don't forget about the trans-Atlantic cruise! Oh, and by the way, could you stuff a slice of that Success Cake in your suitcase to bring home to me?  It was my most favorite dessert!

• Like 2

Day 7  Waremunde ( Berlin) Germany

600 passengers left for Berlin this morning. The rest of us are doing other excursions or DIY  exploration or having a personal sea day. 

My sister Paulette went to Berlin, I am going to Rostock (2/12 hr tour) and rest of day relax .

Today the World Cafe was open at 5:15 for guests and when the Berlin group returns at 10 pm   there will be a full buffet of German food waiting for them. 

The service on board the Jupiter has been  outstanding. Waiters, bartenders, even the folks who welcome you back from an  excursions with hot chocolate and warm towels are friendly, always asking how you how is your day, do you need anything, and always "It is my :pleasure ..."  

Carlos in Aquavit Bar and Floyd in Viking Bar knew after one day  what my sister drinks :coffee expresso in morning and club soda from  bottle with limes during the day. 

Crew are truly international. Many from Indonesia, Philippines but others from Vietnam, Mexico, Belarus, Kenya, and Peru.

• Like 6

Rostock tour conducted by a Welsh guide who has lived in Germany  for 30 yrs.  Walking tour on  the Main Street in town for  1 hr and and 30 min of free time . 
Rostock was bombed by Allies in World War II .

it was historically part of the Hanseatic  League and after World War II was part of East Germany . Visited StMary’s gothic church begun in 1240’s . During war the sextant hide the baptismal font in a field with other other church pieces . 

• Like 2

Thanks for your lovely report.  We're on Jupiter in two weeks time, and will visit Rostock for the first time (did the Berlin trip last time we were there).  Your photos have really whetted my appetite - though I'm not a fan of the Success cake, it's too sweet for me.  I don't recognise the other cake on your plate.

Who are the guest lecturers onboard?  And your cruise director?  

22 minutes ago, Jammy Bun said:

Thanks for your lovely report.  We're on Jupiter in two weeks time, and will visit Rostock for the first time (did the Berlin trip last time we were there).  Your photos have really whetted my appetite - though I'm not a fan of the Success cake, it's too sweet for me.  I don't recognise the other cake on your plate.

Who are the guest lecturers onboard?  And your cruise director?  

The other cake shown above is an apple cake. My sister reported it was good . 
The resident historian is Dr. Candace Weddle Livingston . She is very good and gives an informative lively presentations. 
Also aboard is resident Astronomer Dr.Paul Riley. I do know Dr Livingston is here through June at least. 
Cruise director is Edward . He popped on each bus this morning to wish all passengers a great excursion ! 
asst. cruise director is Francesca who has a great voice along with Edward . 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 3:37 PM, Azulann said:

Day 5  Gdansk Poland

Recap :

Our excursion was : Gdansk and Organ concert.

We were 18 on a the bus. Our guide Ola  has a PHD and is 40 yrs old , Polish  who is married to a German.

The organ concert was magnificent. It was in one of two Gothic  churches  we visited  in the old city.  They have this organ concert every day  during the summer. Then we walked through old town to another Church St. Mary's. We had one hr of free time. I bought my granbdaughesr  amber jewelry . My sister and I had  periogies  snack and I had a local beer in a sidewalk cafe.

Ola was rich inn information about  the Hanseatic league and the  grain warehouses  we saw.

MOst importantly she  explained the history of Gdansk under German, Soviet rules  and finally independence  and now part of the EU.

It was a mindful overload of  facts, her personal history of three generations under the various governments.  

My first takeaway was , as an American, I have no experience of what it means to be living in an  occupied country, the center of wars   for centuries,

Ola stories of the German occupation, then being part of the Soviet Union after the 2nd World war, and then freedom as an independent state being three generations behind the  rest of the EU were sobering.

But good things are happening but always there is the lingering  threat for Poland being between Russia and Germany. 

Pool deck barbecue was very tasty, The Band  then played and  had people dancing,  high energy evening. Fun night on the Jupiter.

I am having a difficult  down load why pictures  and posting them. CC seems to get stuck and I will do it when I have better wifi than the ship. 

But it might not be till Copenhagen and at our hotel there. 

I am loving this cruise b beyond my  heritage  for its ports  full of surprise and variety of historical and current places in the global  economy , politics and culture. 

Another  5 days to go.,,,

@loriva thought you might be interested.

( @Azulann our cruise had to skip Gdańsk and this amazing excursion because of weather / too much wind to make pulling up to the port safe.  Thanks for your posts and photos!)