Sandals for the ladies in the MDR???

Mr. Click

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I grew up in the metropolitan NYC area and I can assure you flip flops were called flip flops back in the 50s, 60s, etc.  The word throng was not used for the plastic beach flip flops.

This is a large country. I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. When I was a small child in the 60s, we wore thongs (rubber beach sandals) to Santa Cruz beaches. In the 70s we began wearing flip flops. BTW my dad, who was from Brooklyn, called the rubber beach sandals thongs. He had served in Korea, so maybe he picked up the term in the  navy.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

My dressy flip flops are more like sandals without the back strap.  They have bling.  Here's a sample...

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfhbkrfhOYi2mARVf75gNSFQaSyyoK5UbId5MuzCLodstTVay_H6qAfxVASzP54OW3SP379n4_mlmsPMrUuPITUKVk3j6F0SBHxJeHqgm-_u63sqUcykEe&usqp=CAE

very nice..and blingy 

to me that's a sandal  without a  back strap....very chic

for me flip flops are the rubber or plastic ones used for beach,  pool  spa or shower.. (things are now underwear for some)

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

In the 1960s - 70s in Southern California, folks used to refer to flip flops by a name that would now be considered an ethnic slur.   

The straw sandals? I think they were zori sandals. We wore those in the 70’s. I’d forgotten they had another name. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hcat said:

What is a dressy flip flop?

Like @Georgia_Peaches said, a backless sandal with bling. Definitely more upscale than a rubber shower flip-flop but still makes the signature sound! I might also refer to these as a "thong sandal," but not just a thong (which is used to describe G-string underwear in the places I have lived most of my life) (Michigan/upstate New York/NYC).  

• Like 2