Is it time to exit the "X"?

kiterp

It seems like many are satisfied and accepting of the drop off in quality that Celebrity has taken.  I have said it before, Celebrity is one water slide away from becoming Carnival.   We have one more cruise booked in August and if things haven't shown some kind of turnaround, we will be spending our money elsewhere.  I mean tilapia served in the MDR as a main dish?  Yuck!  Those things grow in the most polluted waters in China! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Personally, I consider free drinks for two hours, available in most bars, to be an upgrade over three drink tickets only usable in one venue.

Also, looking at some recent press material Celebrity doesn’t define itself as “luxury” but as “relaxed luxury”. 

Many have complained that the number of drink choices is extremely limited 

57 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Sounds like it’s the right time for you to try a change. Luckily we’ve not yet had to spend tens of thousands on a cruise and whilst I know they cost that for certain suites, the day we get quoted that for a non suite is the day we will stop cruising.

I think the tens of thousands was a reference to all the money they have spent earning their CClub status over 20 cruises, and thereby earned a significant benefit they feel has been diminished.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It really does seem like Celebrity is reconsidering its approach to loyalty benefits (and its most loyal customers). It’s very possible that current loyalty features are rewarding undesirable behaviours that Celebrity are desperate to change. Elite happy hour is a perfect example. Celebrity wanted to change to all included for all passengers and the most vocal opponents? Elites who have worked hard to get their happy hour. The misjudgement eventually causing a very expensive backflip. It’s going to be a while until they can get that product change back on track, and in the mean time the rest of the planned product and demographic related changes keep happening without the planned revenue to support them, thus the repeating shows and reduction in food quality. Celebrity have obviously misjudged their customers priorities but now plan b doesn’t seem to be going so well. 

• Like 3

Celebrity is not a luxury/relaxed luxury line whatsoever. That is deliberate marketing lies.

It is very simply the top end of the mass market segment and it is a class apartheid line like MSC.

Celebrity originally was the Oceania of the day. Back in the 90's etc, Celebrity owned the premium segment by itself and it was equivalent to Oceania today. I enjoyed the Zenith, Century lounges where they served high tea and I mean high tea with great food.

Fast forward to 2023.

Celebrity is just another cruise line in the mass market segment.

Celebrity has lost many previous customers like me, we have moved on to the premium lines - often at little or no more cost.

Cruising customers have to keep track of all the changes to maximize your probability of receiving the product and service that was advertised and that you paid for.

Serving tilapia fish, that is garbage fish. Shame Celebrity.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

Celebrity has lost many previous customers like me, we have moved on to the premium lines - often at little or no more cost.

If you you are no longer cruising on Celebrity, why come on the Celebrity section and whine about it 🤔

Also could you tell me what premium cruise line can I get a balcony with Always Included and OBC , for $135 CAD per person per night ? 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, kiterp said:

I am an Elite Plus CC member and this was my twentieth Celebrity cruise. I wonder if it is time to switch to Princess or other similar lines?

If you are here asking this question after 20 Celebrity cruises and you are E+, then you can certainly answer this for yourself.  Nothing said here will likely sway your future cruising direction.  Maybe try another cruise line or two and see if the grass is greener.  It is your money and your vacation and your choice if Celebrity no longer fills your needs.  Unless you are on the long trail to Zenith if that is more important to you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jelayne said:

The Happy Hour time has been the same for the 10years we have sailed on X.  We don’t go to the shows so that’s not anything that would turn us off, we do enjoy the variety of music in the various venues and that does change.  The menus and food offerings have been cut back and then some things added back, it is a time of flux but we have never gone hungry.

We do agree with the times the dress code isn’t enforced at dinner. I guess we are old fashioned but if we are dining at an outdoor restaurant, fast food place or a run of the mill chain then tshirts, ball caps,  shorts, tank tops are one thing.   When in a restaurant/dining room in the evening with a MaitreD, tablecloths and sommeliers I think the guests should be dressed at least as well as the wait staff. Old fashioned I know.

my wife and i dress nicely for dinner in the mdr or specialty venues  every night...No tux or formalgowns, but nice dress clothes...For us it is a matter of respect for not only us, but also our fellow passengers..My parents taught us that your appearance means alot and we are not a part of the narcistic segment of our current population...

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

Celebrity is not a luxury/relaxed luxury line whatsoever. That is deliberate marketing lies.

It is very simply the top end of the mass market segment and it is a class apartheid line like MSC.

Celebrity originally was the Oceania of the day. Back in the 90's etc, Celebrity owned the premium segment by itself and it was equivalent to Oceania today. I enjoyed the Zenith, Century lounges where they served high tea and I mean high tea with great food.

Fast forward to 2023.

Celebrity is just another cruise line in the mass market segment.

Cruising customers have to keep track of all the changes to maximize your probability of receiving the product and service that was advertised and that you paid for.

Serving tilapia fish, that is garbage fish. Shame Celebrity.

In the fall of 1997 my husband and I were at dinner on the Galaxy when we heard that Royal Caribbean had just purchased Celebrity.  We all looked at each other and said.....this can't be good!!!

Edited by Loracpin2
typo
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, kiterp said:

My recent cruise caused me to wonder about the direction Celebrity is headed. The Summit is a well maintained vessel with staff that is very friendly. The quality of the food was good.

There were, however, several areas of major concern. One, the dress code has become a total joke. Celebrity promotes itself as a "luxury" line but allows its passengers to dress inappropriately in various dining venues. Shorts, which are banned at dinner, were often noticed in the main dining room. Although tank tops and baseball caps are prohibited in the speciality dining rooms, patrons were wearing both when I ate in the Sushi on Five dining venue. Why have codes if they are never enforced? Two,they continue to downgrade the benefits offered to the Captain's Club higher tier members. They have a limited drink menu from 5 - 7 PM at the bars. This means you have about a 30 minute window to enjoy your benefit if you have the 5:30 PM seating. Wow, you spend tens of thousands of dollars for cruises and are given a 30 minute window! Three, they are beginning to recycle headliner entertainment. Three of the acts were the exact same ones we saw on the Constellation in February. Can't Celebrity offer a more diverse selection? Four, the entree selection number has been reduced as well as the serving sizes. Several nights saw only four selections for entrees when there used to be six or seven.

I am an Elite Plus CC member and this was my twentieth Celebrity cruise. I wonder if it is time to switch to Princess or other similar lines?

We’ve seen the other side and have migrated to Celebrity.  As for your concerns

1. Dress code - who cares.  They’re all easing up

2. Loyalty club downgrades - also pretty common.  The only standout perk for Platinum is Carnival with the free laundry but that would mean going back to Carnival

3. Limited entrees - also pretty common amongst other lines

• Like 8

8 hours ago, sonnycruises said:

Celebrity suites particularly on Edge class is not mid range in price or quality! Luminae and the retreat are luxury level experiences.

You can say the same thing about NCL's Haven and MSC's Yacht Club. That doesn't make any of these cruise lines Luxury. They're not.

• Like 4

I think it's a good idea to try one of the other cruise lines if you are wondering about the experience. It's always good to compare when you're feeling a bit frustrated, so that you know what your alternatives are. The only way to know for sure is to experience it and do a cruise on the other lines. 

I had only cruised on Carnival due to friends begging us to go with them in the past, and I knew that wasn't the line for us, so when I decided to try cruising again after a six-year absence, I began booking on a variety of cruise lines to see the difference. I cruised on Norwegian in December, Royal Caribbean in March, and I'll be on my first Celebrity cruise in July. Firsthand experience is the only way to know what's out there. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

If you you are no longer cruising on Celebrity, why come on the Celebrity section and whine about it 🤔

Exactly this..I have never understood this take. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sigyn said:

I think it's a good idea to try one of the other cruise lines if you are wondering about the experience.

Absolutely true.  Loyalty is overrated. Yes, there are perks.  But, you pay for them by past sailings.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Absolutely true.  Loyalty is overrated. Yes, there are perks.  But, you pay for them by past sailings.

Absolutely agree. I look at the list of perks and I find them underwhelming, no matter the cruise line. At most, they're worth a few hundred dollars unless you're at the top rank where you get a free cruise. I'd rather have the freedom to pick and choose which cruise I want based on other factors. 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

I suggest you move o Cunard, it sounds like they would be a better fit.

FYI, on the Cunard boards they are still complaining that you no longer have to wear a jacket or suit every day for dinner.  I however, will still bring my tux for the next Cunard cruise.

5 minutes ago, Sigyn said:

Absolutely agree. I look at the list of perks and I find them underwhelming, no matter the cruise line. At most, they're worth a few hundred dollars unless you're at the top rank where you get a free cruise. I'd rather have the freedom to pick and choose which cruise I want based on other factors. 

Agree, worrying about a few free drinks seems pointless to me in the big scheme of things. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TMaine said:

It seems like many are satisfied and accepting of the drop off in quality that Celebrity has taken.  I have said it before, Celebrity is one water slide away from becoming Carnival.   We have one more cruise booked in August and if things haven't shown some kind of turnaround, we will be spending our money elsewhere.  I mean tilapia served in the MDR as a main dish?  Yuck!  Those things grow in the most polluted waters in China! 

It depends on how you look at something, what is important to you…I think we often get so distracted by small things we forget to look at the product as a whole…

I am not a fish connoisseur so I don’t care about the tilapia…Much as I enjoy good food dining to me is about venues too and about good service. 

Celebrity to me still offers a very pleasant experience. Not too stuffy but not too casual.

Dress is not too formal but not generally over casual.

Guests are generally well mannered, well traveled and a pleasure to be with.

Not masses of children and those on board tend to be well supervised and well behaved.

The style of entertainment continues to appeal, we much prefer duos and trios in bars to big shows.

We like the drinks package and can accept they make our E+ perks of less value.

Sometimes one can focus on individual trees and forget to see the forest….Yes, we can all see little niggles, little changes but as long as Celebrity provides the on board ambiance I love I will continue to keep booking.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Because I cruise solo and spend so much time on my veranda, the deficiencies of the infinite veranda matter a lot more to me than the drinks.  To people who use the pool, it doesn't make such difference and they enjoy the extra space.  

• Like 3

Why would you not try something else? You don't need to have a dramatic breakup. Just try other options. There are plenty of them. Taking essentially the same trip 20/30/40 times seems pretty redundant and boring to me. Variety is nice.

Cruise loyalty status is 100% not worth chasing. It's not like an airline where you have potential to get a comp $5k-$10k upgrade. The CC status you see mentioned here are for bragging rights, if that type of thing impresses you. I'm personally not spending tens of thousands of dollars with one cruise line to get a free bag of laundry and a croissant in an 'exclusive venue'. 

• Like 14

It is indeed time to exit "X" if indeed you feel that your time has come. For whatever reason(s) that would be, certainly an individual decision based on a personal choice. Obviously, we are not all lumped together into one action-induced mindset. Thank goodness for that. 

We do not feel offended or disrespected by Celebrity's changes in certain areas. Whether we are affected or not it is inconsequential to our cruising enjoyment and any discernable difference is usually temporary. I do feel sorry for Celebrity. It seems that more and more, "we the people" just don't want to abide by the simplest of rules and requests. A perfect example is the request to dress appropriately for just a couple of hours at dinner time in the evening, in the MDR and in specialty restaurants. Is that too much to ask? Try to implement that request and the staff is besieged upon, berated and belittled by an ever-increasing number of "schlumps" who are finding cruising to their liking and liking nothing that has anything to do with compliance, consideration, and respect. Why bother some might ask.

Could be, we the people, the schlumps, are the reason for some folks jumping ship. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

We’ve seen the other side and have migrated to Celebrity.  As for your concerns

1. Dress code - who cares.  They’re all easing up

2. Loyalty club downgrades - also pretty common.  The only standout perk for Platinum is Carnival with the free laundry but that would mean going back to Carnival

3. Limited entrees - also pretty common amongst other lines

I feel the same. I have sailed NCL, Royal, Carnival and Celebrity since the re-start and they are all cutting back on service, amenities, menu items etc. I have never once looked at what someone else is wearing and thought to myself "my cruise is ruined". If one wants a true "luxury" experience they should look to Cunard, Oceania, Regent etc

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I’m sure the main reason for the change to most bars was to reduce staff and as a bonus, they save a few bucks by eliminating the hors d'oeuvres

I think the main reason was the growing number of passengers with the Elite and above classification.  The numbers were just not manageable, too many people.  The enhancement allowing the free cocktails in most bars helped, but there is just not enough space for all those people interested.  
I have seen hors d’oeuvres being served in other area of the ship as well.  Eden’s on the Apex for instance.  I serious doubt if the staff has been reduced for this change as it is very busy at most bars offering the free drinks.  

Those of us that always get a drink package would prefer a different benefit, since free drinks is not a benefit for us.

this benefit does cost Celebrity a lot of lost revenue from those that do not have a drink package.

Edited by jagoffee