Sell me on Alaska??

I took the last shot in Ketch of a store owner painting in his shorts because I knew no one would believe how warm it was in Sept.  It sprinkled almost every day but for just minutes, never wore our rain coats.  BUT you can never predict the weather in Alaska so if you go, be prepared for cold, wet and warm.  Planning for me is half the fun and it seems a lot less complicated than planning a cross country trip. We fly free on points so getting there is no problem and cruising is no work.  We knew the excursion would cost us, but they are so worth it.  Our plane set down in a bay that was mirror smooth water...so fun and we got to walk around on an island nobody but us for miles around, so quiet, miraculous.  And I got footage of a whale breeching.  He jumped completely out of the water, from our aft balcony.  He was a long way off, but I can't make it work on here, too long.  I promise, beach lover or mountain girl/guy, you'll never regret it!  I thought just looking at a Glacier would be boring, but it's so surreal it was mesmerizing! We did Hubbard, the best!  Bigger and grander and tons of calving.  We're planning our 3rd trip next year on Quantum. JUST DO IT! YOU'LL BE BACK!

Michelle with her DeHaviland.JPG

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

Warning: Long post ahead…

I have a bit of a unique perspective to offer you as someone who grew up in CA adoring sunny, warm weather (still do), was taken on an AK cruise as a young adult, coincidentally fell in love with an Alaskan in college, married him, moved to AK, and proceeded to take many AK cruises (among lots of warm weather cruises). 

When I was still in CA, that first AK cruise was exciting being that it was a cruise, but I dreaded being cold the whole time. We went the end of July, and I was wearing winter clothes the entire time. We did experience a lot of adventures, though, like rafting by a glacier, taking the tram to the top of Alyeska, doing a private salmon charter and having a huge whale jump like 100 ft behind our boat, driving to the Yukon, and exploring the cute port towns. Did I ever hope to return to AK after that? Nope, but the joke’s on me, since I now live here. 

Once I fell in love, I started to see the magic of Alaska. We saw sled dogs, snow mobiled, cheered on the dogs at the  Iditarod starting point, and took in the majesty of the scenery. 

After living here for a while, we started doing an annual AK cruise because it’s a heck of a convenient cruise for us. I have to say that I’m still not tired of them even though we mainly cruise elsewhere now. The glaciers are gorgeous, sailing through water surrounded by mountains is amazing, and there are so many cool excursions in port. The Bering Sea Crab Fisherman’s Tour in Ketchikan is a super fun excursion, the White Pass Scenic Railway is a relaxing way to see the scenery out of Skagway. We’d typically go late May/early June, and we’d have days ranging from sunny and swimming in Juneau all the way to pouring rain and freezing in Skagway and everything inbetween. You can expect to experience the unexpected with weather in Alaska; forecasts are often wrong. Bring layers, and you’ll be prepared for it all. Having a balcony allows you to duck in and out of your room while viewing the stunning scenery. You can definitely just explore the towns on foot; they have adorable shops and yummy seafood restaurants. That’s mainly what we do now that we’ve done most activities. 

Though Alaska may not be your top pick, I do believe you will be able to find enjoyment in it if you dive in and experience it for what it’s worth. It may be a one and done, but I think you’ll have fun if you experience it to its fullest. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lorabelle said:

I completely agree.  The first time I saw Mendenhall Glacier was in 1992.  It is much smaller now than it was back then.  It has receded quite a bit.  Same goes for the various glaciers in the bays that the ships cruise.  It's very sad to watch over the years.   Nothing funny about it.

The last time we were in Alaska maybe 4 years ago, we met one of the rangers at Mendenhall Glacier at the visitors center. She took out this book and showed us pics of when the visitors center was first opened, I believe it was sometime in the 1960. If you have been to the visitors center there, they have these huge picture windows from floor to ceiling. She told us they used to open the curtain and the glacier was right there. Now it is about a mile away and receeding a lot more quickly than back then. 

Cheers

Len

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 8:53 PM, Katems75 said:

My extended family wants to take an Alaskan cruise, which has never appealed to me.  I understand it's beautiful and all, but the thought of taking a coat and hat and mittens on a CRUISE is depressing to me.

So what are Alaskan cruises REALLY like?  How is the weather and what would be the warmest time of year?  Are you still in coats during the warmest time?  Which ships are best for cold weather?  Are people standing around on their balconies shivering?

If you don't book excursions, can you still see the beauty of Alaska, or are excursions necessary?

Most importantly...would there be ducks hidden on the ship??? 😉

SO different than a Caribbean cruise.  Excursions are a must, either through RCCL or private to see and experience the area.  A land tour ( pre or post) of terrific.  Be prepared, excursions are generally expensive.  

We rarely wore our coats and were comfortable in slacks/jeans and layers for the tops. We even sat buy the pool a time or two. 

There is so much to see on cruises that visit other ports around the world. 

Hope you get to go and enjoy the cruise.

M

Thank you again, for everyone's replies.  My takeaways are:

Alaska is beautiful.

Alaska is very expensive.

No one regrets doing an Alaskan cruise, and MOST would do them/have done them again and again, but not all.

Excursions are a must and excursions are expensive.

A land trip is probably better for truly seeing Alaska, especially if you view 'cruises' as warm, tropical floating resorts and not just a vehicle of transport.

Princess is best for Alaska.

Small ships are best for Alaska so they can use better, closer ports.

The weather is indeed often chilly and surprisingly rainy from what I have gathered.  And mist can obscure your views.

Ice floes can prevent you from seeing the icebergs you've come to see (which is another reason perhaps a CRUISE to Alaska is not the best option).

Thank you for giving me so much to think about. While I think hiking a glacier and sled dogging would be fun, in general I do not think an Alaskan cruise is for me.  However, I am now better able to advise my family as they plan their trip and I hope they have the best time ever.  I will enjoy looking at their pictures.

Edited by Katems75
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Katems75 said:

(which is another reason perhaps a CRUISE to Alaska is not the best option).

I'm sorry I could never agree with this observation.  I don't think there IS such a reason!  But different strokes for different folks.

• 1 month later...

We first went to Alaska twenty years ago in August.  The weather was very warm- not what we expected.  Except by the Glaciers.  Forward fast, the Glaciers are melting so not so much calving .  So sad    I think everyone should see Alaska at least once- before the ice melts!  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We first went to Alaska twenty years ago in August.  The weather was very warm- not what we expected.  Except by the Glaciers.  Forward fast, the Glaciers are melting so not so much calving .  So sad    I think everyone should see Alaska at least once- before the ice melts!  

The glacier we hiked and my wife ice climbed on in 2018 was already drastically smaller within a couple years. She used to follow the company we used on social and it was sad to see.

We'll eventually go back and I'm sure we'll still love it but I'm glad we splurged and went when we did and did all the stuff that we did.