Digital Camera!

binman2

I need a new digital camera any suggestions. I know people will say just use your phone but I don't take it out while ashore. Was amazed that the choice is very limited maybe a thing of the past because of our phones can take photos 

Obviously (sorry), the phone’s the best option, but that aside I’ve always used one of the Panasonic LUMIX TZ series and been well pleased with them - originally recommended to me by a fellow cruiser many years ago. He was a keen photographer and I valued his judgment. 

Purely a personal opinion though, and there are doubtless much better choices.

I’d start by looking at Which? if I were buying one now, but my old Panasonic is many years old and as good as new.

Your best bet is to go to your local camera store and ask them. Tell them what you're looking for, what type/ skill level of photography you are at, what your budget is. What you do with the pictures after you take them.    

In the last 2-3 years, not only the capabilities of the camera modules but the processing power needed to do computational corrections and exposure control on the fly have not only pushed phones past all but the very high-end compacts but have caused a virtual collapse of the Point & Shoot market and a significant decline in sales of entry-level DSLR cameras. To be clear, the phones I refer to are high-end units like the Pixels, Galaxies and latest iPhones. Granted, they cost in the high three-figures, but so do any of the remaining compacts that can give them any competition as far as image quality. I love using my "real" camera and don't mind schlepping it around on an interesting itinerary, but for casual walkabout photography I have found my last few phones not only more convenient to carry than a P&S, but offer superior image quality, especially the new Pixel 6 Pro with its wide optical zoom range. For that reason, images that make it to my online galleries consist of a mix nearing 50% from the phone. 

These are from my Pixel6 Pro:

Even evening shots that were once the downfall of phones are handled with ease these days.

1736972151_AllureViews2022-103.thumb.jpg.46515e7fc8e91f3f24a902246b298851.jpg 

Challenging light mixes are aced by the little supercomputers.

1134643598_PerfectDay-191.thumb.jpg.ad09fe0b7a501099b940757ef7fb193b.jpg

Portrait friendly optical zoom is a nice feature.

2004734496_PerfectDay-080.thumb.jpg.c394fa4decacee478cb0cdcb02d358ef.jpg

Here's a link to my experimental "phone only" 4-day cruise: 2021-12 Navigator (pptphoto.com)

Based on my personal shift from my beloved pocket cameras of old to today's phones, my advice is to seriously consider a good phone rather than an inexpensive P&S.  

If you just want snapshots to post on the web (not derogatory, most of the 1.8 trillion photos taken this year will be snapshots that make their creators very happy), there are still inexpensive, easy to use P&S cameras available on Amazon, the local Wal-Mart or BestBuy. On the other hand, if you are interested in better image quality and are willing to spend in the high three figures but don't want it to be a phone, the Sony RX-100 Mark V, VI or VII are fantastically capable travel cameras and are quite small and can be easy to use. 

Dave

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Obviously (sorry), the phone’s the best option, but that aside I’ve always used one of the Panasonic LUMIX TZ series and been well pleased with them - originally recommended to me by a fellow cruiser many years ago. He was a keen photographer and I valued his judgment. 

Purely a personal opinion though, and there are doubtless much better choices.

I’d start by looking at Which? if I were buying one now, but my old Panasonic is many years old and as good as new.

I just built an underwater camera rig around the trusty Lumix LX10.  This is an advanced compact that packs some powerful features.  I'm sold on the Lumix platform.  The attached pic was taken by the LX10 recently.

08.png

• Like 2

14 hours ago, binman2 said:

the choice is very limited

Not exactly, but it's definitely changed since camera phones have come so far.

You can check out some manufacturer websites like Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm, Sony (& other mfgs) and see that they make cameras for professionals as well as amateur (consumer) photographers. BestBuy would sell mostly consumer cameras, and you could find something that works quite well.

As someone also mentioned, there may also be camera shops in your area who deal in many of these camera brands, but the prices tend to be the same as online...pretty standard for current models. 

What can be a good idea, especially if you want something a bit nicer is to buy certified pre-owned. Cameras are thoroughly inspected and rated (I met someone who does this for a well known re-seller) and they come with warranties too. 

It's also good to get a camera in your hands and see how it feels. Looking at them online, it's not always easy to get a feel for the size of the camera: some of these models are quite large, and not very one-size-fits-all, especially keeping in mind using while traveling.

Find what feels comfortable and meets your expectations. 

I agree with Host. Get to a real camera shop and talk about your requirements and budget and your comfort level with technology (you have to the pics off the camera). Go to DPReview.com and look at their buying guides to help you get info on choices. DPReview.com (in spite of the site being shut down by owner Amazon, well, maybe shutdown) is the best possible reference you can use. I have had a camera in my hands for 60 years, from film TLR’s to SLR cameras throughthe digital evolution, and you have never had a better choice fromwhich to pick.

Edited by byargertx

I borrowed our daughter's Panasonic compact for our second cruise and thought it was great even though oldish. I find the phone cumbersome and oh has a dslr. I wanted a compact camera that I could put in a small bag or pocket.  I looked at the Panasonic but to get a similar one to the borrowed one was dearer than I wanted to pay at the time.

Eventually I bought a Canon SX620. It's very basic but does for what I want. It will fit into a shirt pocket and can be used with one hand. I have taken photos with one hand through a moving bus window while looking the other way. One of those photos was of Sorrento Bay, I didn't like the drop so held my camera and just kept clicking while looking the other way.  We have enlarged the photo to about 20 x 16 and it is hanging on our wall.

Then there's this: https://a.co/d/6M1xbDq

image.thumb.png.d78161f88ff33308e82b2105bde8f58c.png

Not as silly as it looks. The shutter button module is removable and can be used to remotely trigger the camera.

I personally use a BlackRapid Wander tether and clip on a longer lanyard if I want to wear it around my neck like a camera:

Amazon.com: BlackRapid WandeR Bundle (Patented) - Smartphone Safety Tether Tab System : Electronics

image.png.6ff8f0d1f8c5bee9e6afbe42f8c4823e.png

Dave

I forgot to say, I do have to adjust the colour of the photos.  I know there are a lot of apps for this, but I use a simple one Microsoft picture manager. I just click on auto correct and it sorts it. No messing about with sliders. Obviously people who have the time, patience and eye for detail will use something more advanced. 

@pierces that looks nifty, easy to hold and operate.  For me the trouble with using a phone or my phone is the size and stability of it with small hands.

Panasonic ZS 70 or 80.  My spouse bought one for our cruise last year and is more than happy.  In addition to my DLSR I carry a Canon SX 740 because of the 40X Zoom and it fits in my pocket 

much like others here, I would suggest looking at Panasonic Lumix cameras.  I have two now as I am slowly realising my back and knees can no longer handle dragging along 2x dSLRs and associated lenses on cruises and/or overseas holidays. 
my DMC LX-100 has been a constant travel companion since 2015 and as I like to take manual control of camera settings, this little gem allows me to do that (or just put it into full auto on those extra lazy days).  it has a nice wide aperture for those low light situations which gives it another tick, especially when visiting museums etc that do not like you to use a flash.  by the way, the flash is a separate unit, quite small but can't remember if it was an optional extra. the lens also allows the fitting of filters. there is now a version 2 on the market.
the other camera is a DC TZ90.  slightly smaller than the LX-100, but with a much bigger zoom which is the major reason for its purchase. manual controls are a bit more fiddley as it doesn't have the dials that the LX-100 has, so control is via camera menus using the rear touchscreen. this one has a built-in flash.  the touchscreen also moves.
both cameras take the same battery and both can take 4K video. (recommend putting a bit of tape over the microphone as wind noise is easily picked up.
the only realistic downside to these type of cameras (not just Panasonics, but all camera systems that the lens moves (zooms) in and out of the camera body, is if they get wet, you should avoid turning them off (I actually recommend turning off 'sleep mode' as an extra safety precaution), as the action of the lens moving back into the body may cause camera faults - expensive camera faults. this did happen to me, but I managed to save the camera by powering down, removing the battery and allowing the camera to air dry. 

along the same lines, over time, this constant in/out of the lens, will cause dust to find its way onto the camera sensor, which will put 'dust bunnies' on your photos.  while this sensor dust is an easy self fix with a dSLR body, with a point and shoot camera, the fix is another expensive trip to a repair centre. the LX-100 has them, but I can manage that via Lightroom or Photoshop.
sample photos of both cameras can be seen here (each photo gives camera details, there are also a few phone photos - a Samsung A70). cheers|
Winter Get-a-Way (joc.id.au)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd suggest looking into one of the mirrorless cameras. They are small and light but have the advantage of having interchangeable lenses and the same basic control over the image you would have with a DSLR, and then some.

've been using an Olympus OM-D E-M10-Micro Four Thirds camera for quite a few years. I like it because the camera and available lenses are small and lightweight - perfect for travel. I can take a small camera bag that will fit inside a backpack and carry 5 lenses, without weight or bulk. There is also a wide variety of good quality lenses. The kit lenses are light and cheap and take better photos than they have a right. If you are looking for pro quality glass, they have that, too. Panasonic also makes Micro Four Thirds lenses that work on Olympus cameras and vice versa. Panasonic even makes some Leica branded lenses, that can run into the thousands, but the cheaper lenses yield good quality as well. I wouldn't take a vacation without my OM-D EM-10.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2023 at 2:17 AM, erikzen said:

I'd suggest looking into one of the mirrorless cameras. They are small and light but have the advantage of having interchangeable lenses and the same basic control over the image you would have with a DSLR, and then some.

've been using an Olympus OM-D E-M10-Micro Four Thirds camera for quite a few years. I like it because the camera and available lenses are small and lightweight - perfect for travel. I can take a small camera bag that will fit inside a backpack and carry 5 lenses, without weight or bulk. There is also a wide variety of good quality lenses. The kit lenses are light and cheap and take better photos than they have a right. If you are looking for pro quality glass, they have that, too. Panasonic also makes Micro Four Thirds lenses that work on Olympus cameras and vice versa. Panasonic even makes some Leica branded lenses, that can run into the thousands, but the cheaper lenses yield good quality as well. I wouldn't take a vacation without my OM-D EM-10.

I have recently purchased an OM System 5.  I love how light it is, it's weatherproof, and has some awesome lenses.

• Like 1